Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 2768
Thread Info
There are 29 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7100 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best year for Neo Geo releases
merlin
I was just wondering which single year would people here consider overall to be the best for Neo Geo releases. I noticed a thread like this at neo-geo.com a while back and thought it'd be interesting to try it here too. If you can't pick a 'best' year then please say what was your favourite year for Neo Geo releases.

Having thought about this I'd say for me it has to be '96. The year when the wonderful Nazca released their two masterpieces Metal Slug (the best in the series IMO) and Neo Turf Masters. Also I think some of the best fighters came out in that year too like Samurai Shodown 4, Breakers and Kizuna Encounter. Probably the best racing game on the system Neo Drift Out and also the classic vs shooter Twinkle Star Sprites were also key releases in '96.

I'll be interested to hear what people think.
Edited by merlin on 28. July 2010 22:05

Murikov
merlin wrote:
I was just wondering which single year would people here consider overall to be the best for Neo Geo releases. I noticed a thread like this at neo-geo.com a while back and thought it'd be interesting to try it here too. If you can't pick a 'best' year then please say what was your favourite year for Neo Geo releases.

Having thought about this I'd say for me it has to be '96. The year when the wonderful Nazca released their two masterpieces Metal Slug (the best in the series IMO) and Neo Turf Masters. Also I think some of the best fighters came out in that year too like Samurai Shodown 4, Breakers, Kizuna Encounter and Real Bout Fatal Fury Special. Probably the best racing game on the system Neo Drift Out and also the classic vs shooter Twinkle Star Sprites were also key releases in '96.

I'll be interested to hear what people think.

I'm up for '96 too, even just Metal Slug 1 is a reason why. '96 IMO was just around the golden era of SNK and the time were SNK games really became popular. The original development team was motivated to make great games for the system and to put some serious effort in their creations.

Just think of KoF '96 for example. It was a decisive turn in the series because from that episode forward SNK just used the same sprites and the more or less constant gameplay for the following sequels.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

RiKo
im with you too Merlin, 96 is the best i think.

97 has some good ones too e.g. Magical Drop 3, Last Blade, Shock Troopers

98 is prob even better with KOF98, Breakers Revenge, Blazing Star, Last Blade 2, Metal Slug 2, Shock Troopers 2 (not bad at all)

but yes overall 96 is better i think. i agree with you. i love Metal Slug and KOF96 especially. you also have Ninja Masters which i havent played but i know a lot of people like. Overtop - i like that, and also Waku Waku 7 which is really good!
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
shion
The best year for Neo-Geo was probably 1994. It was a pretty crucial year that could've made or broken them. Fortunately, games like KOF and the Samurai Shodown series were well received and the rest, as they say, is history. Here are many of the great games to come out of '94: Windjammers, AOF 2, World Heroes 2 Jet, Aero Fighters 2, KOF '94, Bust-A-Move and Samurai Shodown II. These games really are the bedrock of Neo-Geo/arcade gaming. Plus, unbeknownst to many people (including me at the time), SNK started cranking out lots of games for the Neo-Geo CD this year too.

Honorable mentions:
1996: Real Bout Fatal Fury, Neo Turf Masters, Breakers, Ironclad, Magical Drop II, Metal Slug, KOF '96, Waku Waku 7 and Samurai Shodown IV.

1998: Blazing Star, The Last Blade, Metal Slug 2, Real Bout Fatal Fury 2, Neo-Geo Cup '98, Breakers Revenge and KOF '98

1999: SNK vs. Capcom/Match of the Millennium, Garou/Mark of the Wolves, The Last Blade 2, Sonic Pocket Adventure, Metal Slug X, Shock Troopers 2nd Squad and SNK vs. Capcom/Card Fighters' Clash
Edited by shion on 27. July 2010 06:02

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Shiny
Probably gonna have to give it to '94, such a great year for Neo games. '92 - '94 is like a golden age of SNK for me, most of my favourite Neo games are from that era, probably for nostalgia reasons.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Glowsquid
96' of course. Metal Slug and Kizuna Encounter alone make it the best year, nevermind the horde of other awesome releases.

2nd best for me would be 1992 for Last Resort, Baseball Stars 2 and Mutation Nation. And 91 is very underrated even if it did saw some crap.
Edited by Glowsquid on 27. July 2010 15:05

STE C
I am surprised nobody has mentioned 2003, KOF 03, SS5 and Metal Slug 5 a real return to form and SNKP best year so far. But overall I gotta agree with most of you 96 really stands out the best year but you gotta think about 97/98/99 as well due to the quality mentioned above.

96 best year ( only just)

Yao
Even though one of my favorite games ever, if not THE favorite game ever, was released in 96 (Samurai Shodown 4), I got to say 98 because it's the year in which SNK released a truly unreached masterpiece, which is beyond any criticism, Last Blade 2. And let's not forget Real Bout 2, an incredible game, which is unfortunately a little underestimated in the fighting game scene. Of course there is KOF 98 which is one of the most popular games by SNK.

merlin
Thanks for the responses everyone. I was expecting most people to pick '96. Interesting to see some people picked '94 too. I can see why considering quality titles like Samurai Shodown 2, Dunk Dream, AOF2, Windjammers came out that year. '98 was a great year too Yao. Overall I feel the period of '95 - '98 was like best period of SNK.

Probably my second choice would have to be '97 with such classics as Shock Troopers, Magical Drop 3 and The Last Blade being released then.

RiKo
I thought that too Merlin, with me i missed out on the Neo Geo at the time, and didnt even play the few games released on the SNES so i missed out all those earlier legendary games first time round, like fatal Fury, Sam Sho, KOF. i think everyone came to Neo games in different ways, so has dif preferences for which year was best.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
LIFE_IN_2D
It's really hard to narrow down a favorite year when all my favorite Neo-Geo games come from different years. I''d just like to say that in general... Neo Geo Titles from the Mid 90's to 1999 we absolutely wonderful.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

NeoGeoNinja
JUST TO SIMPLIFY IT...
in case anyone cared (like me) here's a list for your own comparisons - I compiled it myself. Before 'we' get all pedantic, just so y'all know, I missed out all those 'Quiz' titles and Mahjong etc games. I doubt you'll miss 'em here...

Anyway, here goes...

1990:
Cyber Lip
Magician Lord
Nam 1975
Puzzled / Joy Joy Kid
Riding Hero
Super Spy
Top Players Golf

1991:
ASO2 / Alpha Mission 2
Baseball Stars Pro
Blues Journey
Burning Fight
Crossed Swords
8man
Fatal Fury
Ghost Pilots
KOTMonsters
League Bowling
Legend Of Success Joe
Ninja Combat
Robo Army
Sengoku
Thrash Rally

1992:
Andro Dunos
AOF1
Baseball Stars 2
Fatal Fury 2
Footbal Frenzy
KOTMonsters 2
Last Resort
Mutation Nation
Ninja Commando
Soccer Brawl
Super SideKicks
ViewPoint
World Heroes

1993:
3 Count Bout
Fatal Fury Special
SShodown
Sengoku 2
SpinMaster
World Heroes 2

1994:
AeroFighters 2
GanGan
AOF2
PBobble
Fight Fever
Gururin
FHDynamite
KOF94
Panic Bomber
SShodown 2
Dunk Dream
SSidekicks 2
Top Hunter
WindJammers
WHeroes 2 Jet
Zed Blade

1995:
AeroFighters 3
Double Dragon
Kabuki Klash
Fatal Fury 3
Galaxy Fight
Goal Goal Goal
KOF95
Power Spikes 2
Pulstar
Puzzle De Pon
Real Bout 1
SShodown 3
Savage Reign
Stakes Winner
SSidekicks 3
Gowcaizer
WHeroes Perfect

1996:
AOF3
Breakers
GhostLop
KOF96
Kizuna Encounter
MDrop 2
MSlug
Neo Drift Out
Neo Mr Do
Neo Turf Masters
Ninja Masters
Over Top
Pleasure Goal
Puzzle De Pon R
Ragnagard
Real Bout Special
SShodown 4
Stakes Winner 2
Super Dodge Ball
Tecmo World Soccer
Twinkle Star Sprites
Ultimate 11
Waku Waku 7

1997:
Irritating Maze
KOF 97
Last Blade
MDrop 3
Money Idol Exchanger
Neo Bomberman
Pop N Bounce
Shock Troopers

1998:
Battle Flip Shot
Blazing Star
Breakers Revenge
KOF 98
Last Blade 2
MSlug 2
Neo Geo Cup 98
Real Bout 2
Shock Troopers 2

1999:
PBobble 2
Captain Tomaday
GanRyu
Garou MOTW
KOF99
MSlug X
PIsle 2
Strikers 1945 +

2000:
Bang Dead
Digger Man
KOF 00
MSlug 3
Nightmare in the Dark

2001:
Jockey GrandPrix
KOF 01
Sengoku 3
V-Liner
Zupapa

2002:
KOF 02
MSlug 4
Neo Pong
ROTDragons

2003:
KOF 03
Matrimelee
MSlug 5
Pochi & Nyaa
SShodown V
SVC Chaos

2004:
SShodown V Special / Perfect

2006:
Last Hope

2010:
Fast Striker

AAND...
that just about covers it chappys! Grin

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Bullet
I could easily say 2003, but it would only be for 2 games KOF 2003 and SVC Chaos, but in reality 1996 was easily the best year for the Neo in my opinion.
1996:
AOF3 ( its the Art of Fighting 3, despite some who complain about taunts and gauges also a great fighting game with excellent animation and visuals)

Breakers (the neo's very own Street Fighter Alpha, but better in my opinion)

GhostLop (meh)

KOF96 (not my favorite KOF, but it was solid so why complain?)

Kizuna Encounter ( I like this game a lot and the huge characters still look and play great, good times with another great game)

MDrop 2 (fun sure, but I'm not huge on puzzle games, don't hate them, but not my go to game genre)

MSlug (Metal Slug... and Metal Slug

Neo Drift Out ( I like this game and the few other racers on the neo, so again good times)

Neo Mr Do( meh)

Neo Turf Masters( good golf game on the neo, no complaints)

Ninja Masters (its that game that looks like a SNES game or great fighting game, you decide)

Over Top (again also a fan)

Pleasure Goal( not a huge sports game fan, but nice to see some diversity in the line-up)

Puzzle De Pon R( again not huge on puzzle games, but that doesn't mean its not good)

Ragnagard (meh , its an ugly pre rendered mess, but its still a fighting game, so it can't be that bad right?)

Real Bout Special (great fighting game)

SShodown 4( 3 is my favorite, but I'll take another one and its a great playing sam sho, which can't really be said for all of them)

Stakes Winner 2( um, hurray, wait... meh)

Super Dodge Ball (It's Super Dodge Ball!!! which means it's awesome.)

Tecmo World Soccer (again, sports games, not my fav, but good to see the variety.)

Twinkle Star Sprites( great vs puzzler action)

Ultimate 11( it was a great year to kick a ball around some grass on the neo)

Waku Waku 7 (great fighting game, with neat characters and good animation)

It was a pretty good year, it started some great series and ended some and some were just not that interesting, but that's gaming and life, sometimes.
Edited by Bullet on 30. July 2010 21:57
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

rbelmonte171
easy one ..

96 was the best year for me followed closely by 2003

STE C
Fantastic work Ninja your list actually makes it easier to choose a year ( which unfortunately is still tricky) but good effort listing them like that. So many good years in the 90s but please don't forget my fave of last decade 03 KOF03, MS5 great year for Playmore shame it has not been repeated since, although the death of the MVS explains that.

Almost impossible to choose as any year after 94 could be a fave depending on a players taste although most years catered for all.

98 with KOF98, RB2, LB2,Blazing Star MS2 really takes some beating what a fantastic year it would have been to own a AES * if you could afford the games like *.
Edited by STE C on 30. July 2010 21:38

shion
The pr

RiKo wrote:
I thought that too Merlin, with me i missed out on the Neo Geo at the time, and didnt even play the few games released on the SNES so i missed out all those earlier legendary games first time round, like fatal Fury, Sam Sho, KOF. i think everyone came to Neo games in different ways, so has dif preferences for which year was best.

Trust me, you were better off avoiding those disgraceful versions of such awesome games... As far as I know, KOF was exclusive to the N-G, until fairly recently (post-bankruptcy).

For me, the problem with calling anything post '94 "the best" is that, in the big picture, the 3-D revolution was starting around the mid-90s. Most of the gaming world shifted its attention to PSX, 3DO, Jaguar and Saturn games, and left the consoles specializing in 2-D for dead (unfortunately). In the process of shifting to 3-D, the very definition of a great game changed. Since around '96, to the mainstream, something has to be 3-D be considered great. Thus, to the mainstream, for a company to be considered successful, it would have had to release 3-D games, lots and lots of them. Neo-Geo wouldn't be considered successful during '96-'02 (to the mainstream) because of its bull-headed determination to stick with 2-D. Yes, I know SNK did attempt 3-D, but that has fallen into obscurity. When everyone (most companies) was on the same playing field, 2-D, SNK was indeed a powerhouse (to the mainstream), and this would be around '94 and before.
Edited by shion on 31. July 2010 06:47

merlin
Good to see some more replies in this thread. Thanks a lot for the list Ninja. That's a good idea and does make it somewhat easier for people to compare the different years. I'm wondering what you would consider to be the best year. I can imagine that '95 would at least be one of your favourites with Real Bout, KOF '95 and SS3.

I think Real Bout Special is probably a 1997 release. It says 1996 on the title screen but according to what I've read at neo-geo.com and also wikipedia it was released in early 1997.

Bullet I feel the same way about Breakers. I love the Alpha/Zero games but I'd rate Breakers a little bit higher even.

1st Super Tobalman wrote:
Since around '96, to the mainstream, something has to be 3-D be considered great. Thus, to the mainstream, for a company to be considered successful, it would have had to release 3-D games, lots and lots of them.

Tobalman I can see your point about the mainstream gamers and 3D but I really just mean the 'best' from the point of view of people here who do really appreciate 2D gaming.

NeoGeoNinja
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
Trust me, you were better off avoiding those disgraceful versions of such awesome games... As far as I know, KOF was exclusive to the N-G, until fairly recently (post-bankruptcy)...

I AGREE...
at least on the SNES side of things, as SShodown & FFury were horrible on the SNES! However, AOFighting is actually pretty good on the SNES (with music better than the Neo ver. imo) and also FFury is also VERY good on the MD - NOT Neo perfect by any means BUT I actually think it plays and sound better overall. It just loses out in the GFX dept and NO BKane or HJai. Depends on what's more important to the gamer I guess...

KOF 94...
was exclusive to the NGeo right up until it's PS2 releases (i.e. KOF94RB which includes the Neo version too and the US & PAL KOF Orochi Saga contained it too, unlike the JAP version). The rest of the KOF series have ALWAYS been available on other platforms. For example:

KOF 95: Saturn & PS1
KOF 96: Saturn & PS1
KOF 97: Saturn & PS1
KOF 98: PS1 & DC (as KOF 99 DM)
KOF 99: PS1 & DC
KOF 00: PS2 & DC & XBOX
KOF 01: PS2 & DC & XBOX
KOF 02: PS2 & DC & XBOX
KOF 03: PS2 & XBOX (sadly, no DC release :( )

(Saturn versions VS PS1: Saturn release were better in every instance! What a surprise!! Roll Eyes )

merlin wrote:
Good to see some more replies in this thread. Thanks a lot for the list Ninja. That's a good idea and does make it somewhat easier for people to compare the different years. I'm wondering what you would consider to be the best year. I can imagine that '95 would at least be one of your favourites with Real Bout, KOF '95 and SS3.

BECAUSE YOU 'KNOW' ME...
well enough, your educated guess is spot on my friend! 95 Would be my FAVOURITE year for NeoGeo releases as it contains my favourite games (KOF 95, SS3 & RB ) not forgetting of course the fantastic WHPerfect ALSO came out this year Wink. Also I'm guilty of liking Galaxy Fight so, as such, I can factor that into 95 too.

95 WOULD BE CLOSELY...
followed by 2003 for me, as this year saw the release of some of my favourite NeoGeo games: KOF03, SVC Chaos, Matrimelee & MSlug5. Hell, we even got SS5 - it's not perfect BUT I still enjoy it much more than SS1 & SS2...

AS FOR THE 'BEST YEAR...
I could VERY easily say that it was 96... as I count approximately 10 TOP titles there! However I actually think 98 is also the strongest. Personal preference I guess BUT I would probably JUST go 98 > 96... JUST!

merlin wrote:
Bullet I feel the same way about Breakers. I love the Alpha/Zero games but I'd rate Breakers a little bit higher even.

I PREFER...
the Alpha games > Breakers & BRevenge myself - in every way! Infact, I don't even think they're comparable... but while we are: SFZ1, 2 & 3 > Breakers & Revenge.

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 31. July 2010 12:57
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

shion
Tobalman I can see your point about the mainstream gamers and 3D but I really just mean the 'best' from the point of view of people here who do really appreciate 2D gaming.

I'm glad someone can see it, that was a difficult point to put in words. I was 80% sure the OP asked a simple question that deserved a simple answer (from everyone here), but I've always been known to go above and beyond what a simple question asks for when I have interest in the subject. Smile It's always nice to get a different perspective of a discussion, and it stirs things up a little (in a good way), hopefully.

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
KOF 94...
was exclusive to the NGeo right up until it's PS2 releases (i.e. KOF94RB which includes the Neo version too and the US & PAL KOF Orochi Saga contained it too, unlike the JAP version). The rest of the KOF series have ALWAYS been available on other platforms. For example:

KOF 95: Saturn & PS1
KOF 96: Saturn & PS1
KOF 97: Saturn & PS1
KOF 98: PS1 & DC (as KOF 99 DM)
KOF 99: PS1 & DC
KOF 00: PS2 & DC & XBOX
KOF 01: PS2 & DC & XBOX
KOF 02: PS2 & DC & XBOX
KOF 03: PS2 & XBOX (sadly, no DC release :( )

(Saturn versions VS PS1: Saturn release were better in every instance! What a surprise!! Roll Eyes )

True dat, true dat... I originally meant the state of KOF games on non-SNK systems in the U.S. (not Japan or Europe). I don't remember any of those ports being released on the PSX back in the day. After doing a little research on Gamefaqs, I found out most of those ports were released in Japan only. '95 and '99 (supposedly) were the only two to be released here (who was playing 2-D fighters on the PSX in 1999??). I don't know why anyone would choose to play a KOF game on the PSX, considering how horrible the system is at processing sprites, IMO. It wasn't unheard of to import stuff from Japan back in the mid-late 90s, but most people in the U.S. probably didn't/don't know of these KOF ports on the PSX to this day. The (American) Saturn got no KOF ports I am aware of.

Interestingly, an often forgotten port is KOF '95 for the Gameboy...
Edited by shion on 31. July 2010 19:31

Xian Xi
For releases I would say 96 as well:

Art of Fighting 3: Path of the Warrior
Breakers
King of Fighters '96
Kizuna Encounter / Fu'un Super Tag Battle
Magical Drop 2
Metal Slug
Neo Driftout
Neo Mr. Do!
Neo Turf Masters / Big Tournament Golf
Ninja Master's
Over Top
Pleasure Goal 5-on-5 Street Soccer / Futsal
Puzzle de Pon! R
Ragnagard / Shinoken
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Shodown 4: Amakusa's Revenge
Stakes Winner 2
Super Dodge Ball / Nekketsu Toukyu Densetsu
Super Sidekicks 4: The Ultimate 11
Tecmo World Soccer '96
Twinkle Star Sprites
Waku Waku 7

Jamma Nation X
JNX Lazy Finger Rapid Fire Device for Neogeo and Superguns, On sale now!!

Jump to Forum: