Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NeoGeoNinja
Thread ID: 2739
Thread Info
There are 26 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6739 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
ONE GOOD TURN DESERVES... A PS3!
NeoGeoNinja
RECENTLY...
My friend along with his father decided to leave a 'well known' gaming franchise with the aim of breaking free and going it alone, to start their own independent game store.

During the course of the organization of such events, being a Graphic Designer, I was approached with regards to helping and offering advice on the forthcoming stores corporate ID, logo, marketing approach yadda yadda.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, me and some friends (along with the 'store' friend!) sat down and brainstormed some ideas together. He then went away and discussed things with his father (the actual owner of the shop).

Eventually he came back with a 'workable' design which I then transformed into a professional finished project, thus, it has since, recently been erected in the form of a shop sign above the 'old' shop! And I mus say, we are all very happy with it... It would appear some more than others...

See, the work was done on my on my behalf cost free, as a favour really. They have been really good to me over the years and have always ensured that my purchases of 2nd hand and new titles are met with generous discount. This has never gone unnoticed and I guess, in my own way, this design work was a way of me giving something back, in an unsaid fashion. All the work was finished and tied up nearly a good fortnight ago. However...

JUST this Thursday, my 'shop' friend turned up (for social reasons!) clutching as somewhat ominous and unexpected parcel. He brought it through and then announced that it was a gift, just to say thanks for all the work I'd done! Well, I was pretty chuffed as I (foolishly) had a pretty good assumption of what it was...

See, recently (unfortunately!) my PS3 died(!!) and I'd told my friend all about it. I was pretty gutted, especially seeing as it is nearly 6mnths out of warranty. Anyway, my friend gets 2nd hand PS3's 'in' all the time, so I pretty much figured that they had decided to donate a functioning 2nd hand PS3 to me as a thankyou... I must admit, I was pretty happy with this idea and it was, in my own mind, a nice easy solution to my frustrating problem, especially considering KOFXIII is out later this year!! However...

I was wrong, and instead I received this *SIGH* Roll Eyes

Spoiler Alert! To See The Content, Just Click On The Image!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NeoGeo073132.jpg

I MUST ADMIT...
I did NOT expect that. I was very taken aback! Infact, I was pretty much tearful and emotional. Sad? Maybe, but it was a very defining moment in my gaming lifetime. As many PPL around my age will know, getting an actual NeoGeo is like fulfilling a dream - the acquisition of something seemingly unattainable. My friend really knew the importance of this to me and, I guess, pretty much bought, or me, the ultimate gift! It's pretty astounding stuff.

SO, YEAH...
I now officially own a NEO•GEO AES, and no doubt, for some of the long-standers (Merlin, Priest, STE C etc) it's about time too! Grin I'm looking forward to collecting for it BUT it's going to take a looong time for me, especially considering the prices. I also know that there are some games I want that I will NEVER be able to attain due to the cost being a prohibitive issue (ROTD, NMasters etc) so I'll concentrate on the affordable and work my way up!

FIRST GAMES...
on my list are: FFury2 then RB1, SS3 & KOF95. I currently own SS2 (came with the AES) and I must admit, it isn't a game I would have chosen myself, as I feel the 6 button VS 4 button layout ruins the game (for me)... thus I'll be getting SS3 & SS4 ASAP Wink

AND NOW...
onto my technical queries Roll Eyes

I was once led to believe that you CAN use a MDrive/Genesis Mk1 RGB lead with an AES? If this is true then I'm unsure whether or not there is something amiss with my output, as when I use my MD lead with the NeoGeo I get some horrible distortion, which isn't present with standard AV lead. Any ideas? Perhaps a proper AES RGB lead would solve the issue as opposed to one made for the MD Mk1??

Also, whose idea was it to make the NGCD pad's button layout with CD on top and AB on bottom?? How broken???

And, whats the deal with Stereo output on the AES? I'm getting an RGB lead with the 3.5mm jack for the headphone socket on the front... is this what most PPl do, or do most opt for the actual AV stereo mod. Also,does UniBios modification come recommended.

Any info on all this kind of stuff will be VERY gratefully received Smile

Yours Sincerely,
NEO•GEO•NINJA Ninja
AES Owner (finally!)

Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 04. July 2010 20:13
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

STE C
Fantastic stuff it just shows a good heart will be rewarded, perhaps the human race still has hope. I am looking forward to watching your collection grow Ninja i reckon KOF 95, SS3, FF2 will be pretty high on you list of essentials.

Also i would really like to know how you feel about actually playing a KOF/SS game on the original system, I am hoping you will say ( it just feels better).

Well done sir

Bullet
Congrats Ninja I felt the same way when i got my first AES, it really was a dream made real.

Enjoy, you collecting begins anew.

Why don't you share your logo with us, I'm a design whore and want to see it.

If you want a japanese copy of kof94 on AES I could prolly hook you up.
Edited by Bullet on 04. July 2010 21:03
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

LIFE_IN_2D
Nice Ninja! Did it come with "old style" sticks? If not, you should invest in some, they really are something... seriously! Congrats, you must be in a blissful daze!
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 04. July 2010 20:57
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

cthulhu
Finally!!! Congrats and welcome to the money evaporating AES hobby.
As for the Megadrive scart cable...I've used them on my AES and had no problems, they were Japanese cables and they were used on my Japanese AES though. I mostly use RGB cables with the AES connector on one end (the round one with pins) and on the other side normal Video and Stereo leads and I connect them to a RGB adapter thingy that came with my Playstations.
Something like these ones:

www.incoelectronics.be/content/pc/big/scart-cinch-adaptor.jpg
(except that the Scart end is replaced with the round connector that fits in the back of an AES)

www.uxsight.com/product/images/c/en/rgb-scart-male-rca-female-adapter-converter-xs0032090106c.jpg

Never had any problems with these and I use them for all my older consoles.

About Stereo, the AES only has Stereo sound through the headphones, so not through the RGB cable as that only gives Mono sound.

I have one European AES on which I performed the Uni BIOS, but I must admit that I only use my unmodded Japanese AES.

Oh yeah, buy some old style AES sticks...you won't regret it.
Edited by cthulhu on 04. July 2010 21:59
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

priest
Ninja: Way to go!!!!!...And like you say, about time you joined the clubSmile

About the MD1 RGB lead, I use one to, have done so ever since I got my first AES and I don´t recognice the problems you´re having with the picture.
Could you please take a photo of the screen and what it looks like?

Try another TV or if you have more than one RGB input on your TV then try this one too. Could the problem be with the RGB lead? I use a PAL MD1 lead.

About stereo sound, I belive that most AES owners do the mod to their machines. I know that Monouchi made a thread about different Mods here at NGFL. Do you plan on doing the mod yourself or will you let someone do it for you?

Which games will you start your collection with?
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Atomduck
Whoo! Welcome to the AES club Ninja! Owning an AES is like owning a Cadillac or anyother expensive sports car, but BETTER.

priest
Monouchis mod thread:

http://www.neogeo...post_38993

I´m sure Mono will only be glad to help you Ninja if you decide to do the modification of your AES...
Edited by priest on 04. July 2010 22:28
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Basashi King
wow, finally!

enjoy the new toy!

Headbang

RiKo
Congratulations Ninja! Grin

im sorry i didnt know u had lost your PS3, hopefully u can pick up a cheap 2nd hand one somewhere, there must be loads of them on the market by now, which should keep the price low.

about the AES, wow! that must be one of the few times someone has got an AES as a present. its normally something u have to buy yourself cos even if u want one, its not easy for non-games people to get hold of.

i agree with 2D about the sticks, nothing can beat 4 button Neo Sticks (where each finger rests over a highly responsive button). def give one a go. thats how i got into using aracde sticks from getting my Neo Geo.

*Personally* i prefer a mono RGB cable. i do have a stereo cable too, just for some reson i like the mono one better. it comes out of both speakers anyway, just not in stereo, but its a fuller sound i think. i also sometimes use my Neo on my small TV so its more like the arcade and thats mono anyway.

i did hear that a megadrive rgb cable should work, but i have never used mine on my neo so i cant confirm that. Uniobios mod is recommended but its not essential. i mainly only use mine for choosing the region and for quick rebooting (when doing HSCs). the other thing it is its good for practice. like on Breakers Revenge, you can play the main game on infinite energy or credits, and you get more practice on the higher skilled opponents. thats the only reason i see to cheat in games, otherwise i think u spoil games, but again thats a personal opinion. You might want the RGB mod if your Neo Geo is a late serial number neo, just cos u get a better quality picture. (RGB chips in later models werent as high quality) theres a site where u can check on that. fortunately with mine its low serial number so i dont need an RGB mod as well.

im pleased you finally got an AES, im glad you got given one, because from what you were saying before , you were saving it til last, so you might never have got one!
Edited by RiKo on 05. July 2010 13:08
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
Congrats Ninja that was a great surprise. I was pleased and also surprised to hear you finally got an AES. I was getting the impression you were thinking of going the CMVS route. It's really a very nice looking system to own and there's something really appealing about the home carts with their boxes, inserts and manuals. SS2 was a great game to start you off. You might be surprised how many cheaper games there are available for the AES. It might be worth thinking about getting a convertor so you can buy MVS carts when the AES version is too expensive. Anyway I'll be very interested to hear what AES games you acquire.

As for your technical questions there's nothing I can really add to what the others have said. I don't have a Mega Drive RGB cable to test it with myself and also I prefer to keep my AES as it originally was - completely unmodded. The picture and sound quality are both great.

Regarding the Neo Geo pad well it's great for most games but perhaps not ideal when it comes to fighting games. I know you prefer using joypads but like the others I'd recommend giving the original stick a try.
Edited by merlin on 05. July 2010 13:33

Glowsquid
Ah-ha, that's awesome.

Spoiler Alert! To See The Content, Just Click On The Image!
you lucky bastard

STE C
[quote]RiKo wrote:

*Personally* i prefer a mono RGB cable. i do have a stereo cable too, just for some reson i like the mono one better. it comes out of both speakers anyway, just not in stereo, but its a fuller sound i think. i also sometimes use my Neo on my small TV so its more like the arcade and thats mono anyway.

quote]

I also often play my NG on a portable I always think good quality portables make the games look sharper and as you say more arcade authentic.

Sorry Ninja this is your thread , as you know my MD scart cable also works fine on my NGCD, im pretty sure the new cable you have ordered should sort your problem out from what you have told me it sounds like a dodgy cable. Bet you cant wait for KOF94 coming from Bullet, a AES for your good deeds and a great game on the way kindly donated by a fellow member, not a bad July so far Ninja you certainly deserve it sir.
Edited by STE C on 05. July 2010 16:49

AngelaAsakura
Awesome! It's great that you finally got an AES! Congratulations! Grin
farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7182649455_b7024d0591.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelaAsakura/
Mikoto
Very nice :-)

About the cable, a MD1 cable both will and will not work with a Neo Geo AES.

They have the same amount of pins and the pins are connected to the same signals, so no problems there.

But it won't fit because two of the pins have different positions! The two on top :-) If you compare the MD1 and AES connectors you will notice that the pins in the AES connector are arranged as a "C" while the MD1 is a "U".

With a little force the cable will fit anyway but it won't be a perfect fit and the pins may not connect properly to the socket, which will cause image or sound problems. I had such problems before.

I'd recommend getting a AES RGB cable instead, otherwise time and force will make the pins in the cable's plug to fit better and better with the AES connector. It would work but it ain't right :-)

LIFE_IN_2D
Hey Ninja. I know you were fixing on getting some PS2 to Neo Geo Joypad Converters. Here is a site where you can get them, I dunno if the site you found is cheaper. But I've heard nothing but good things about JNX.

http://www.jamma-...store.html
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 06. July 2010 20:54
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Murikov
Yaaay, what an epic moment, congrats Ninja! I clearly remembered the day I received my AES, that black, light and smooth Ferrari of 90's game consoles... And the marvelous plastic smell of the cartridges... Indescribable!

I've got a RGB cable aswell, bought it on ebay. It has an attached audio plug too, so I can enjoy the AES games in Stereo Music Looks a bit strange when I plug it into the headphone socket, but it's worth.

http://cgi.ebay.c...255b568140
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

NeoGeoNinja
WOW... JUST WOW!

Thanks for ALL of your comments everyone, both congratulatory AND advisory!

A little update:

I have decided to order a stand alone AES *stereo* RGB lead, and I hope that it does the trick. Hopefully, it should be here before the end of this working week!

I have also ordered a mint copy of Fatal Fury 2! Can't wait for it to arrive. This HAD to be the first game I ever ordered for the AES, as it was my first TRUE NeoGeo experience...

I have been giving the 'kidney' AES stick a go on SS2, and I have to say, I have found an alternate method which works REALLY well with that particular stick (aside it not having 6 buttons for SS2!) - basically, the stick works best for me if I hold the stick a certain way and place my thumb on the very TOP of the stick, as though I'm using a NGCD pad or NGPC pad. Works really well too! Will still be getting the PS1 pad adaptors though for more competitive play - without bitching about the stick being the issue.

ALSO...
I have happened upon a NEW problem:
I am using a JP NGeo here in the UK via a step-down transformer. However, the NeoGeo AND Stepdown get RIDICULOUSLY hot in pretty short space of time. It's very VERY concerning Shock

Anyone had any experience in this department? Wink

SO, YEAH!...
thanks again for all your kind words everyone! It does feel pretty good to officially seal my SNK fanboy tendencies with an AES! I must admit, I'm really looking forward to finally making FAIR comparisons between my NeoGeo AND PS2 counterparts (alongside others too - like DC & Saturn for example). Yep, I'll be completely unbiased and honest. Heh, based on the cost of the Carts though, it may take sooome time yet! Grin

Still, like I said, SS3, KOF 95 & RB1 WILL be my first set of AES purchases, so I'll just work my way out from there and see how we get on...

Ninja

merlin
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
ALSO...
I am using a JP NGeo here in the UK via a step-down transformer. However, the NeoGeo AND Stepdown get RIDICULOUSLY hot in pretty short space of time. It's very VERY concerning Shock

That does sound a bit worrying Ninja. Which step-down transformer are you using? I use this one from Maplin for my Japanese Neo Geo AES and CDZ:

http://www.maplin...leNo=19413

My actual AES system doesn't get really hot only slightly warm but I do find the ac adaptor and stepdown get surprisingly hot. I was a bit concerned myself about it so I asked a member of staff in Maplin about it. They thought it was just normal and nothing to worry about. I've used my AES a lot and never had any problems so I'm not worried about it.

If you're concerned one thing you could always do is to ask Lee at VGI for advice about it. He does actually sell step down transformers.

Congrats on picking up Fatal Fury 2. I'm not surprised you went for that one first.
Edited by merlin on 07. July 2010 08:32

NeoGeoNinja
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
ALSO...

merlin wrote:
That does sound a bit worrying Ninja. Which step-down transformer are you using?...

My actual AES system doesn't get really hot only slightly warm but I do find the ac adaptor and stepdown get surprisingly hot. I was a bit concerned myself about it so I asked a member of staff in Maplin about it. They thought it was just normal and nothing to worry about. I've used my AES a lot and never had any problems so I'm not worried about it...

SORRY...
the way I worded it made it sound as though my ACTUAL console gets hot. I was just being lazy and threw the words haphazardly into sentence; I meant my NG Adaptor & StepDown get hot. But based on what you've said Merlin, it would appear that this is normal(??). Think I'll still look into alternative means though, just to avoid an unwanted house fire Shock LOL

merlin wrote:
Congrats on picking up Fatal Fury 2. I'm not surprised you went for that one first.

You know me... Wink

Ninja

EDIT: Merlin - I checked that Maplin link 'on my way out', just out of curiosity, and it is EXACTLY the same as mine (bar the OEM label). Hmmm... this may be the problem! Like I said, I'll investigate Thumbs Up
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 07. July 2010 13:03

Jump to Forum: