Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: vanilla8282
Thread ID: 2737
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 15007 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
neo geo mvs cab repair
vanilla8282
I need to change the joysticks on my system. i did the buttons myself they were explanitory . unhook wires replace relay box things .. how do i do the controller??? and happ is the kind i buy??? any one with any suggestions they are welcome . either some instructoins on how to or maybe a link to the product online so i can purchase the right kind!! thanks any help would be much appreciated!!!
fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/vanilla8282.png

cthulhu
Sorry, I think I can't help you because I don't own a MVS Cabinet...I own a Candy Cab. Also I don't like the Happ sticks, I exclusively use Seimitsu...maybe if the wiring for the controls is the same as a normal JAMMA cabinet (which is probably the case), then I can probably help you.
Could you please post a picture of the underside of the control panel with the wiring and one of your sticks? Then I can see if I'm able to help you out.
Also you could ask the good people of the Arcade Otaku forums as they're always willing to help people out with their awesome amount of Arcade knowledge.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Bullet
http://www.lizard...icks.shtml

The standard sticks in a neo geo mvs cab work pretty much the same as each stick has 4 microswitches instead of 1 like the buttons. You could just swap out the old microwswitches for new ones or completely replace the sticks. Honestly, if you have already replaced the buttons i have full confidence that you can replace the sticks as well.
Also tape and label the connections one at a time so when you are putting it back together there is no trial and error. top is top etc. With all that said get some new sticks and enjoy your cab. I have my own cab as well so if you have any other questions just ask and I'll do my best.

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/bullet.jpg

The happ sticks in the link below with the proper microswitch connections.

http://lizardlick..._black.jpg

In the pic at the link below the sanwa jlf-tp-8yt on the left has a pin connector you don't want that. The sanwa jlf-tm-8t on the right has the micro switch connections of the basic neo mvs set up.
http://www.lizard...arison.jpg

Other things to be aware of... the type of ball tops you prefer and how long or short you like the stick to be. Also many of the sticks don't come with tops , so be aware that you may need to order them as well.

I've bought a lot of new arcade parts from lizard lick for my neo cab and customizing my arcade sticks, new buttons, sticks, ball tops, hex gates etc.
They aren't a big company, as its only a few guys, but they are friendly and have good service and should have pretty much anything you are looking for.
Edited by Bullet on 02. July 2010 19:36
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

cthulhu
never mind.
Edited by cthulhu on 02. July 2010 19:26
My arcade stuff

Bullet
cthulhu wrote:
never mind.

Can we just hug it out?

vanilla8282
Bullet wrote:
http://www.lizard...icks.shtml

The standard sticks in a neo geo mvs cab work pretty much the same as each stick has 4 microswitches instead of 1 like the buttons. You could just swap out the old microwswitches for new ones or completely replace the sticks. Honestly, if you have already replaced the buttons i have full confidence that you can replace the sticks as well.
Also tape and label the connections one at a time so when you are putting it back together there is no trial and error. top is top etc. With all that said get some new sticks and enjoy your cab. I have my own cab as well so if you have any other questions just ask and I'll do my best.

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/bullet.jpg

The happ sticks in the link below with the proper microswitch connections.

http://lizardlick..._black.jpg

In the pic at the link below the sanwa jlf-tp-8yt on the left has a pin connector you don't want that. The sanwa jlf-tm-8t on the right has the micro switch connections of the basic neo mvs set up.
http://www.lizard...arison.jpg

Other things to be aware of... the type of ball tops you prefer and how long or short you like the stick to be. Also many of the sticks don't come with tops , so be aware that you may need to order them as well.

I've bought a lot of new arcade parts from lizard lick for my neo cab and customizing my arcade sticks, new buttons, sticks, ball tops, hex gates etc.
They aren't a big company, as its only a few guys, but they are friendly and have good service and should have pretty much anything you are looking for.

thank you so much u are such a big help and im so newb Smile thanks so much

Bullet
Hey no worries,

We all are new to everything at some point or another in life, glad I could help in any way.
Edited by Bullet on 02. July 2010 20:36

vanilla8282
cthulhu wrote:
never mind.

i so appreciate the effort i may still be a little lost though lol so happ is bad? i want sanjwa i guess? 8 way stick hmmm i have a jamma cab i think i will post pics but i think it looks just like the one posted above... well letss go taking some stuff apart lol

Bullet
Happ isn't bad and you've prolly played far more happ sticks in arcades than sanwa or seimitsu. Some people prefer one over the other and if you are going for a complete restoration for your cab happ is a good way to go. Myself for example, I really like sanwa buttons and sticks, but when replacing the buttons on the neo cab I didn't got with the sanwa pushbuttons http://lizardlick...sf30_o.jpg like I did in my console sticks. I went with the happ buttons http://www.lizard...%20006.jpgas they are the same design as the original neo cab buttons and are concave instead of convex like the sanwa buttons.

So its really gonna depend on if you want to restore the cab or update it by putting the newest styles of sticks and buttons in it. I went restore, but you can do whatever you want.
Edited by Bullet on 02. July 2010 21:03

cthulhu
Bullet wrote:
Can we just hug it out?

I was just writing a new reply and when I posted it, I saw your post, so I edited mine...no hard feelings.

vanilla8282 wrote:
i so appreciate the effort i may still be a little lost though lol so happ is bad? i want sanjwa i guess? 8 way stick hmmm i have a jamma cab i think i will post pics but i think it looks just like the one posted above... well letss go taking some stuff apart lol

Well, Happ is not bad, but it's all about what type of stick you like and about the feeling the stick has and what looks better on your cab. I'm more of a Japanese stick and not a European/ American stck person. Seitmistu (and Sanwa) are generally used on Japanese cabs and have basically the same feeling as a Neo Geo AES stick with a bit longer radius, you have to push the stick just a bit further to have it register the movement. With most European and American sticks you don't feel (or hear) a "click" when you push the stick in a direction, they feel a lot smoother and thus don't really have a clearly defined end-position ...whith Japanese sticks There are really only 8 ways in which the stick can be pushed, there are no directions in between those, they click into place (Left, upper left, up...etc.). Maybe a bit difficult to explain, but this is as clearly as I can get. As I'm mainly a Fighting Game player, I really like the preciseness of the Seimitsu and Sanwa sticks...it's more of a personal feeling and preference.

By the way, if the control panel look basically the same, then it's really easy to connect everything...it's basically 8 wires for each stick of which 4 are ground, you can't go wrong as each of the differently colored wires are for the directions and the ones of the same color (most of the time they are all black, white or grey).
Edited by cthulhu on 02. July 2010 21:06
My arcade stuff

vanilla8282
IM picking up what you are putting down . the 8 way sounds great but i would want a full radius as i play mainly fighting games so it would be good for me . but i feel for certain games i would miss the full recotion of a non "clicking" 8 way stick so i assume i will go with the standard usa european style ... but the sanwa errr whatever look really nice !!! i am very grateful for your help ! whats your cab look like??
vanilla8282 attached the following image:
100_5982.jpg

vanilla8282
here is my cab Smile i use a 151 in one cart and a 120 in one cart... what games do u play ?? i also have ss4 cart n marquee it was what my cab originally was .. i changed my buttons to black and red alternating these are old pics Smile
vanilla8282 attached the following image:
100_5978_1.jpg

cthulhu
I posted them quite often here on NGFL, but here they are again...these are my two cabs (I still have to refurbish the second one):

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/rot_in_pieces/_DSC0461.jpg

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/rot_in_pieces/_DSC0423.jpg

I don't have a MVS mobo so I don't play Neo Geo games on my cabs, I have my AES for that. As for the games I play on my cabs, these are the ones I own and play:

DeathSmiles
Demolish Fist (Atomiswave)
Dolphin Blue (Atomiswave)
Espgaluda
Guwange
Hokuto No Ken (Atomiswave)
Ibara
The King of Fighters NeoWave (Atomiswave)
The King of Fighters XI (Atomiswave)
Knights of Valour: The Seven Spirits (Atomiswave)
Metal Slug 6 (Atomiswave)
Muchi Muchi Pork!
The Rumble Fish (Atomiswave)
Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden (Atomiswave)
My arcade stuff

vanilla8282
those cabs are so nice . i would love to own a cab so small and nice looking the white just looks great!!!! and the button colors own!!! makes me want one!!!

Bullet
Yeah those cabs are sexy and I've always wanted to play Demolish Fist and Dolphin Blue.

candycab
Though Ive been out of the Happ loop for a while since I haven't had to do much repair wise over the last few years i.e. buy any new sticks. In the past for me most Happ sticks have a sort of lousy "feel" to them overall... Kinda hard to explain...

Most of their standard sticks feel under sprung and fairly mushy, on the other hand their Ultimate sticks don't feel as sloppy but they can be almost too stiff at times. Its something you probably need to feel and compare with others side bye side, or you may not notice it, again this based on what they were selling a few years back.

I like Sanwa sticks and others that use the older flap type switches since they have a smooth feel that "Cherry" switches etc just don't have and the click sound they make can be rather annoying. These days whenever I play on my Playstation cab that has Happ Ultimates in it I miss my MVS cab sticks in a matter of minutes Smile

Bye the way ... Welcome to the madness that is MVS Smile Thumbs Up
Edited by candycab on 04. July 2010 17:40
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

vanilla8282
i love my mvs and the madness that ensues from it it is an awesome set up being able to change the games an all !!!! thanx for the intel Smile

Jump to Forum: