Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: STE C
Thread ID: 2733
Thread Info
There are 30 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5560 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TELL THE TRUTH YOU WILL FEEL BETTER
STE C
If somebody was to ask me what is the best game on the Neo Geo I would reply Mark Of The Wolves as would many NG fans across the globe. Yet it is not my favorite game on the NG ( is this making sense yet or confusing you. Its just that MOTW is the ultimate showcase for the system in terms of graphics and depth and rightly so is considered by many the best game.

I am confident most of you here will understand the above comment as it has been discussed before ( best not meaning favorite). We have had many whats your top 10 NG games, whats your top 5 NG beat em ups/shooters.

This thread is for *WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE NG GAME*. Not what you think is the best or what you would recommend as the best. This is about what game makes you gooey and gives you the most pleasure in terms of enjoyment & nostalgia I suppose, what do you keep returning too. I want you all to think hard and give an honest answer as I think it will be very interesting and we may see a few surprises.

As this is very difficult to answer I am going to let you choose a second * nah no im not * only choose 1 please your favorite game. Feel free to give a description as to why it means so much to you and the joy it brings to your life.

MINE IS and this was not easy as at least 5 games have fought my brain for this privilege

Samurai Showdown 4

the graphics the atmosphere , the gameplay the whole far eastern coolness it represents everything great about the NG and its fans. I really feel this is one of if not the best 2D fighter of all time, in fact its very easily one of the best games of all time. But then again so many NG games could be as never before and never again ( sadly) will a system enjoy so much quality but hey thats why we are here.

Will
This I tell you is an extremely difficult choice and decision. There are many elements of different Neo-Geo games I fancy. But I confide that Crossed Swords has caught my attention and fascination and been my all time favourite for a lot longer than any Neo-Geo game I have so far played.

Other games that I have kept in mind to have be in favour of are Last Resort, Voltage Fighter, Metal Slug 3 and Shock Troopers.

The thing that makes the choice difficult I believe is the existence of many different fighter games followed by vertical and horizantal shooters.

cthulhu
Although this is quite a difficult question, I came to my answer pretty quickly...although there are some games that I play and like a lot on the Neo Geo (Waku Waku 7, Last Blade and Samurai Spirits 3), there is only one game that I have played a lot more than any other, and that game is Real Bout Garou Densetsu. The reason for this is, that Real Bout 2 is just such a great and addictive game...it just has everything that makes a fighting game fun to play: awesome music, fabulously responsive controls, bright and cartoony graphics and a great lineup of characters.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

RiKo
Hi Ste, thats a good one, i do love MOTW but is not my favourite game on system, although t was for a while. i like lots of games but my favourite is definitely Breakers Revenge if i only had one game i would want it to be that. i feel a bit ashamed cos its very capcom/Street fighter inspired - not a SNK style fighter. but i love it Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
shion
Metal Slug 2, not 3, not X 2. The "meat," so to speak, is all there, and it is the version that people in arcades huddled around (speaking from my experience), not X. When X came out, only "hardcore" SNK players would play it; X wasn't as popular as 2. But, noobs wouldn't know this, only what they read on the Internet. Internet lore has blown 2's obvious flaw out of proportion. The way it's treated by online reviewers and on VG boards, you'd think there was a quantum leap in technicality from 2 to X. The slowdown (2 is criticized for) is non-existent on MAME, Neoragex, etc., even; there's no excuse to peg the game with that con anymore. Roll Eyes Somehow, this misconception has also spawned the belief that the gameplay in X is also better (among the hopelessly lost noobs). The gameplay is more-less equal in reality, but I guess noobs won't even bother playing 2 to find out for themselves.
Edited by shion on 29. June 2010 22:40

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
STE C
Very interesting comment Tobal. I have recieved MS2 today and have being playing it tonight after being a MSX fan for a while. You have gave me a idea for a new thread concerning this very valid point.

shion
Thanks. Looking forward to it. Smile

Yao
This is a very very difficult one...
But at the end of the day it has to be Samurai Shodown 4 for me also. To me this game has it all. The graphics, the system, gameplay, the characters, the music, and most importantly...the atmosphere.
STE C I am very happy to read that you consider it one of the best games of all time, cause I feel the same way too. I got to say that the Last Blades are very close behind it though. Both 1 and 2 are pure style and perfection. SS4 made it because of the nostagia factor. I loved this game as a teenager and I still love it now.

Murikov
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
Metal Slug 2, not 3, not X 2. The "meat," so to speak, is all there, and it is the version that people in arcades huddled around (speaking from my experience), not X. When X came out, only "hardcore" SNK players would play it; X wasn't as popular as 2. But, noobs wouldn't know this, only what they read on the Internet. Internet lore has blown 2's obvious flaw out of proportion (thanks again for misinforming the noobs Internet). The way it's treated by online reviewers and on VG boards, you'd think there was a quantum leap in technicality from 2 to X. Somehow, this misconception has also spawned the belief that the gameplay in X is also better (among the hopelessly lost noobs). The gameplay is more-less equal in reality, but I guess noobs won't even bother playing 2 to find out for themselves. The slowdown (2 is criticized for) is non-existent on MAME, Neoragex, etc., even; there's no excuse to peg the game with that con anymore. Roll Eyes

I think I have to completely agree with you Tobalman; for me MS2 is a piece of pure awesomeness too. Always when I introduce someone to the Neo Geo System I first have to present Metal Slug 2. Imo it's nearly perfectly harmonized, everything just matches. The music, stages, enemies, bosses, atmosphere, etc. etc. .... It's just a game I enjoy playing from time to time - even if I have completed it dozens of times.

The first time I played MSX I was disappointed how artificial and poorly designed it looked - and felt. Why did SNK took a boss from MS1 to replace the first one from MS2 just to let it appear again as miniboss in the train stage?! And why are aliens flying out an exploding house in the first stage when they even aren't introduced to the player??!

My vote definitely goes to Metal Slug 2, that's all.
Edited by Murikov on 29. June 2010 22:54
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

shion
Murikov wrote:
I think I have to completely agree with you Tobalman; for me MS2 is a piece of pure awesomeness too. Always when I introduce someone to the Neo Geo System I first have to present Metal Slug 2.

Nice! The boss from the first game was probably easier on the processors (I'm not a computer guy, so don't quote me on that). The aliens' sooner appearance in X enforces the idea that the game was aimed particularly at those familiar with 2.

bojan4o
ok after a quick thinking about this i had several games in my head ok the first one must be street hoop i just love this game its because its very fun to play especially if you are playing it with a friend of yours (not online)

then there is super dodge ball great game i must say its pure awesomeness its a lot of fun just like street hoop

next on my list must be all kof games i just love them especially the story the characters and the backgrounds and especially the bosses

oh i just love this game very dark and with deep gameplay i love the combo system the characters and yes its Ninja Masters its pure awesomeness

but when i keep forgetting all of this games and the neo-geo (from to many problems at home and just tired of everything) i keep coming back just to play this game it has been my favorite from the first time i played it i even introduced the all neo-geo thing to my cousin with this game(although he already have played some of snk games but he didnt knew that snk developed and produced them well who wouldnt played snk games here in my country metal slug being the most popular game from the arcades everyone knows the metal slug series) bu sorry for going off topic a bit the game is WINDJAMMERS i am always coming back to the neo-geo world( my neo-geo related emulators) to play this game its just that awesome
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

LIFE_IN_2D
Ok, well I have to say Metal Slug 3.

Why? Because it integrates three of my favorite themes : Horror, Sci-Fi and Ultra-violence. No bullshit in this game. The objective is simple; blow everybody and everything to hell and let God sort 'em out.

Most people loathe how outlandish the enemies are in this game, I adore their eccentricity. Great replay value, thanks to alternate routes.

Simply amazing. My favorite game on the system Headbang 2
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 30. June 2010 02:19
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Black Shroud
Samurai Shodown 5 Special
i160.photobucket.com/albums/t170/Viscelon/sign1lesser.gif

spirits.kaillera.ru
merlin
Like STE and Yao my favourite game on the system is Samurai Shodown 4. I enjoy a lot of different fighting games but SS4 for me is the most enjoyable and exciting to play. The gameplay just has such a very good feel about it and the control scheme is perfect too. I love having a choice of slash and bust versions of characters and the roster is perfect with no dodgy character designs in the game.

The addition of CD combos is a nice idea. Graphically the game looks stunning too. The 'arie' stage in particular looks beautiful. I also like the way you're on this journey through the land catching glimpses of Amakusa's castle as you get ever closer to it. The only thing I don't like in the game is the time limit in single player mode which is a very bad idea and makes you feel like you have to rush through the game.

I'm pleased to see Will picking Crossed Swords as his favourite. I really really love that game so much. It would definitely be in my top 5. It always surprises me that it's not more popular.

bojan4o
a quick question did anybody bothered to read my post?
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Glowsquid
Metal Slug.

Sure, the sequels have wackier enemies and vehicles but the original has the best level design and presentation of the whole series.

AngelaAsakura
Glowsquid wrote:
Metal Slug.

Sure, the sequels have wackier enemies and vehicles but the original has the best level design and presentation of the whole series.

What he said.

And you just can't beat the intro for MS1. It's somehow kinda cute.
farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7182649455_b7024d0591.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelaAsakura/
STE C
bojan4o wrote:
a quick question did anybody bothered to read my post?

Yes I did Bojan very good but your youthful paranoia is something of a concern.

RiKo
Metal Slug 1 is my fav out of that series too, it used to be MS3 but the first game is the simplest and the best overall game i think. not as good as Breakers Rev though.. Grin

Bojan - i have never played WindJammers, is that the pong type game? i wanted that but i keep forgetting it exists!

wow Sam Sho 4 certainly has a lot of fans! i think if Shiny and Kaz were about Sam Sho 2 might be catching up up a bit. i have Sam Sho 4on MVS but i havent got past playing SS2 yet.
Edited by RiKo on 30. June 2010 19:24
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Bullet
I don't think that MOTW is the greatest or best neo game, its a solid game for sure, but far from my favorite. It's prolly not even in my top 10 lol

I'd say its a tie between King of Fighters 2003 and Breakers Revenge. I think it really comes down to playability and how well both of these game feel and respond, when I'm at the controls,that keeps me playing them over and over again.

I know I'm only supposed to put 1 Ste C but...

Other neo games that are regularly rotating in my 4 slot MVS are...
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Blazing Star
Spin Master ( I'm sure a few of you are like, WTF?)
SVC Chaos
Kizuna Encounter
Samurai Showdown 3
Ninja Masters
Waku Waku 7

Also I've been playing a lot of Baseball Stars 2 on the SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1, so I think its time I get that for my MVS sooner than later.

Some interesting choices above for sure, I'm really surprised by all the sam sho 4 love, that is usually reserved for sam sho 2 here I thought lol, but I like a surprise every now and then.
Edited by Bullet on 30. June 2010 20:17
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Jump to Forum: