Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: marktheshark
Thread ID: 2720
Thread Info
There are 7 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 1973 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are some things that you don't like about the current gen?
marktheshark
There's a lot of things that I don't like about current-gen gaming. For the first time, my interest in current games has gone down by a lot. Why? It's because that there's several things wrong with current-gen gaming.

One of the reasons why I don't like current gen gaming is that the Xbox 360 & PS3 feel too much like PCs rather than game consoles. It's kinda a big deal because they make up 40% of the current gen consoles (there's also the Wii, DS, & PSP). A lot of games that come to the PS3 or Xbox 360 often look, play, & feel like PC games. Heck, a lot of PS3 & Xbox 360 games are also released on the PC. If you have a powerful PC, then what's the point of getting the PS3 or 360 versions of PC games unless you want to evade the strict DRM?

Speaking of DRM, that's another thing which I don't like about in the current gen. It's becoming more strict by the day like Ubisoft's DRM requiring you to be online at all times if you want to play their newer games on PC & EA's Project 10 dollar are some examples. There's not much you can do about pirates & people who buy pre-owned games. The companies often look for new ways to "stop" piracy & used game sales", but this only results in customers getting screwed over while it has little effect on the pirates. Eventually, large amounts of customers are going to start noticing about this.

Another thing that I don't like is the bad attitude towards the "expanded audience" aka "casual gamers" as some "hardcore gamers" put it. Just what is the point, exactly? The reason that the "hardcore gamers" have a bad attitude towards the expanded audience is because they fear that the "expanded audience" will become the new core audience. This will probably continue for another year or so. Another annoying thing is that the hardcore will always make some weird, nonsensical guess at how the "expanded audience" behave. The mentality that the "cazualz" don't play a lot & would often not play for long periods of time is false. Where do the hardcores get their evidence from? There's millions of "cazualz" out there & only some of them don't play very often. I think I'll spew some nonsense about how the hardcorez are dirty, fat, & often live in the basements of their parents house.

What I also don't like is the mentality that girls don't play video games at all & those that do are hard to find. Ok, this mentality is also in the last gen, but it is still in this gen so it kinda counts. This mentality can't be any farther from the truth. Girls actually do play video games. However, they play different games than we do. While we play the kinds of games that we usually play, a lot of females play games on the internet like the games on facebook or games made by PopCap. Of course, a lot of them also have regular consoles so not all of them are PC gamers. I recommend that y'all see what the ladies are playing before you make false claims about them.

That's all I have for now, but there's a few more things that I might get to eventually.

merlin
marktheshark wrote:
Speaking of DRM, that's another thing which I don't like about in the current gen. It's becoming more strict by the day like Ubisoft's DRM requiring you to be online at all times if you want to play their newer games on PC & EA's Project 10 dollar are some examples. There's not much you can do about pirates & people who buy pre-owned games. The companies often look for new ways to "stop" piracy & used game sales", but this only results in customers getting screwed over while it has little effect on the pirates. Eventually, large amounts of customers are going to start noticing about this.

This is definitely something that also annoys me about the current gen. I bought a phsyical copy of F.E.A.R. 2 for my PC and it forced me to install Steam on my PC and be online while I'm playing. Also if I understand this correctly the game can only be activated once so even though I own a physical copy of the game it literally has no resale value. What if someone tried the game and didn't like it? They're stuck with it. I think if you buy a game you should be able to sell it on in the future if you want to. I do realise that piracy of PC games is a big problem for the industry but they should try and find less annoying ways of dealing with it.

Another thing I don't like about the current gen is that I wish more games were available to buy as physical copies rather than just a download. With games like AfterBurner Climax or the upcoming Chaos Breaker it'd be so much nicer to be able to own actual copies of these games. I'm not some hardcore collector but there is a certain pleasure to be had form the physical objects from admiring the artwork on the cover to reading the manual. A download just doesn't feel the same to me.
Edited by merlin on 23. June 2010 17:59

shion
The n00bz

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
cthulhu
marktheshark wrote:
Another thing that I don't like is the bad attitude towards the "expanded audience" aka "casual gamers" as some "hardcore gamers" put it. Just what is the point, exactly? The reason that the "hardcore gamers" have a bad attitude towards the expanded audience is because they fear that the "expanded audience" will become the new core audience. This will probably continue for another year or so. Another annoying thing is that the hardcore will always make some weird, nonsensical guess at how the "expanded audience" behave. The mentality that the "cazualz" don't play a lot & would often not play for long periods of time is false. Where do the hardcores get their evidence from? There's millions of "cazualz" out there & only some of them don't play very often. I think I'll spew some nonsense about how the hardcorez are dirty, fat, & often live in the basements of their parents house.

What are "hardcore gamers" anyway? Are those people that don't have a social life and instead live in their own computer gaming dream world or just people that play a lot of computer games? I personally think that "hardcore gamers" don't actually excist and are mostly self-proclaimed. I think I could be catagorized as a true "hardcore gamer" as I've probably been playing computer games longer than those self-proclaimed losers have (probably also know more about computer games and have played/ owned many more then those people). Instead I don't call myself a "hardcore gamer", because I'm just a guy that likes to play video games and don't want to be labeled that way.

What I also don't like is the mentality that girls don't play video games at all & those that do are hard to find. Ok, this mentality is also in the last gen, but it is still in this gen so it kinda counts. This mentality can't be any farther from the truth. Girls actually do play video games. However, they play different games than we do. While we play the kinds of games that we usually play, a lot of females play games on the internet like the games on facebook or games made by PopCap. Of course, a lot of them also have regular consoles so not all of them are PC gamers. I recommend that y'all see what the ladies are playing before you make false claims about them.

My wife has been playing computer games all her life and most of those games were RPGs and Puyo Puyo kind of games...almost no PC games as consoles are plug and play and you don't have to install a lot of crap or have to have a ultra fast mega super pimped PC to be able to play games.

O yeah, I hate to download games for my PS3...I want a physical copy of a game dammit!!!

Finally there are way too many FPS games...I don't really like those except for Doom, and Wolfenstein 3D...so yeah console games have become more and more like PC games, which I generally don't like at all.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

RiKo
i like the download games, they are great for developers too, because there's no piracy, and money isnt wasted on boxes and distrubution. also small teams can make games again! Afterburner - cant remember how much it cost (under 8 anyway) but it was under half the price you would have paid for it on a retail release. same with Outrun HD. the one thing i dont like, is what happens when Ps5 or Xbox 1080 are out, can we still play these old games?, esp if the harddrive breaks. as for game packaging. i used to really like packagaing too, but these days on standard releases its just cheap plastic, and it seems a waste of time going over to the console to change the disk over, though maybe thats my laziness. i suspect download distribution will be the delivery method of the future. a lot of music is already downloaded, i think games will go the same way eventually.

if i am right the most played game currently is Farmville on Facebook. all those kind of games on there are very popular. it did worry me - i am not a huge fan of these kind of almost no skill-required games - but i have seen a couple of people get into games from this route and who have now bought a 'proper' games console. so maybe its all good. i would say that most traditional video games are based around violence which doesnt appeal so much to women. so yes those types of games like puzzle games are more popular.

i do like current gen, there are some really qulaity games out there. and as well i love that retro/simpler games have kind of come back on the download service at least. Pac Man CE and Geometry Wars 2 are 2 of my fav games. and Trials HD which is very Excitebike inspired.

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
I can see where you're coming from RiKo in the points you make about download games. It's true that they are cheaper and also good for developers. I think you may well be right that it'll end up being the main way of purchasing games in the future. Makes me kind of sad though. While playing the games is of course the most important thing it's a nice feeling to build up a collection of games. You just don't get that same feeling of ownership if you downloaded it. Even if the cases are just cheap plastic the manual and insert artwork can still look very nice.

http://gamersonly...smiles.jpg

marktheshark
RiKo wrote:
i like the download games, they are great for developers too, because there's no piracy, and money isnt wasted on boxes and distrubution. also small teams can make games again! Afterburner - cant remember how much it cost (under 8 anyway) but it was under half the price you would have paid for it on a retail release. same with Outrun HD. the one thing i dont like, is what happens when Ps5 or Xbox 1080 are out, can we still play these old games?, esp if the harddrive breaks. as for game packaging. i used to really like packagaing too, but these days on standard releases its just cheap plastic, and it seems a waste of time going over to the console to change the disk over, though maybe thats my laziness. i suspect download distribution will be the delivery method of the future. a lot of music is already downloaded, i think games will go the same way eventually.

if i am right the most played game currently is Farmville on Facebook. all those kind of games on there are very popular. it did worry me - i am not a huge fan of these kind of almost no skill-required games - but i have seen a couple of people get into games from this route and who have now bought a 'proper' games console. so maybe its all good. i would say that most traditional video games are based around violence which doesnt appeal so much to women. so yes those types of games like puzzle games are more popular.

i do like current gen, there are some really qulaity games out there. and as well i love that retro/simpler games have kind of come back on the download service at least. Pac Man CE and Geometry Wars 2 are 2 of my fav games. and Trials HD which is very Excitebike inspired.

What's wrong with people playing games like Farmville & games similar to it & why should it worry you so much? Let people enjoy the kinds of games they want to enjoy, ok?

Also, games on Digital Dist. systems might still be pirated eventually. Have you seen a person that uses "you know what" software to pirate Wiiware games? Games on other download systems may be pirated too someday, the pirates will always have a way.

It's nice that small teams can make games again, but they still need to make games that customers can enjoy. If they still think that they can just make games for themselves, they are wrong. I see quite a few downloadable games that I can already tell are being made by developers who only make games for themselves. Also, the Wii is also a good option for small teams to make games as the budgets to make them aren't as high as the typical budget of an Xbox 360/PS3 game.

Jump to Forum: