Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: boogiepop
Thread ID: 269
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5397 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Games You Will Never Play But Should
boogiepop
Yep, I've decided to give little reviews (recommendations rather) on games that I think even the eldest of gamers has probably missed. Just for the helluvit. Who knows? Maybe one of you guys will actually take a flying leap and try one of these bad boys. Anyway, on to the first game!

Scarab (pc)
Scarab is an odd little first-person-shooter. You play as one of three different robots designed after Egyptian gods, namely, Horus, Anubis, and Sekhmet. Each has a different set of abilities and powerups. Horus is fast, can fly, and is the only one who can litter the playing field with mines, Sekhmet is slow and tough, with anti-air missiles, mortar, and a plethora of big and bad weaponry at his disposal, and Anubis is a sort of middle guy, with hit and run tactics being the order of the day. You also choose which team you'll ally yourself with, either Ra (yellow) or Osiris (blue) with a maximum of three to a team. After this, you're deposited onto one of about a half dozen large, expansive battlefields with futuristic, Egyptian stylings to duke it out with the opposing team.

Now, you may be thinking "I'll take Sekhmet for sure" but there is more to this game than killing the opponent. Each team has a supply ship which can drop towers of your color onto the battlefield (as well as essential character-specific powerups. These towers raise an energy bar at the bottom of the screen which, once over a certain line, set off a five minute counter. If the energy output is still over the line by the time the five minutes are up, that teams automatically wins. Compared to the standard way of getting your opponent to lose all three of his lives, this may seem like a "cheap" win but actually, this is the strategic part of the game. You're constantly trying to balance placing towers while destroying your enemies' and getting in a kill or two in along the way.

All in all, it is a truly magnificent game with strategy to be found at every corner. It is also quite different in the speed department. Expect some matches to last a good half hour since your robots move at a speed more akin to mechwarrior than unreal tournament. This little gem may be a bit difficult to get a hold of but I seriously recommend getting your hands on it. If you have any bit of an open mind, you'll love it.

phry
Check this out...

http://www.the-un...hp?id=4458
[small]in fact there's tons of great underrated PC games here available to download as abandonware[/small]

I will definately have to give it a go now! Woohoo!

hmmmm...underrated games...there's so many titles out there that never got the fame and recognition they deserved. One title that I used to play loads back in the day and thought deserved to do better is Rocket Knight Adventures by Konami for the Mega Drive.

Unfortunately it was drowned out by so many generic furry animal mascot games that it was overlooked by most. A pity, since that every stage of that game played differently to the previous with so many inventive ideas and memorable set pieces (including a fist-fight in giant robots and an excellent Gradius piss-take). This was coupled with a likable graphical style which saw an armor plated, jet-pack-equipped possum fighting an army of nazi-esque pigs and their evil robotic monstrosities (if any one remembered my old avatrs from the old site, he was the one that used to say "banana hammock" and "avast ye scurvy scum" ). A pity that it's sequel, Sparkster, wasn't nearly as good.

As for PC games, I used to play 'Jagged Alliance: Dealy Games' loads. It was a turn-based strategy game with so much depth and an excellent versus and an easy-to-use create a mission mode. Pitting each other against our own booby-trap laden maps was often hilarious! Many a wasted rainy afternoon was spent on that game around a friend's house.
Edited by phry on 25. March 2007 20:26

boogiepop
Ooh! I like that review. Very nice! I've never heard of either of the games you mentioned by the way (as it should be for this thread). Mayhaps a pc game swap is in order, no?

Shiny
Rocket Knight? Awesome! Thumbs Up That brings back some memories... Mean Machines, Yob's Mailbag (with mandatory monthly leper joke), whatever happened to Jaz Rignall? Oops, going off topic sorry.

Scarab sounds very cool indeed! I don't normally go much on 3D games but reading your review reminded me of Exhumed (also an Egyption themed first person shooter) and I used to love that game. I shall attempt to find it. Grin
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

candycab
I havent been to Underdogs in a long time , Classic Trash was always a great site too.

I cant really think of any games ta the moment but this is definitly an interesting topic Grin
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

boogiepop
Shiny wrote: I shall attempt to find it. Grin

That site phry gave has it for download.

boogiepop
So has anyone tried Scarab yet?

Shiny
I've downloaded it onto my PC at work and so far I'm finding it a tad confusing, I'm having fun with it but to be honest I can't really work out what I'm supposed to be doing half the time lol. LOL But then I am playing it in 5 minute stints...

I think I'll sit down with it over the weekend and see if I can't work it all out. I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those games where once I've figured it out I won't be able to leave it alone. Wink
Edited by Shiny on 30. March 2007 12:13
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

boogiepop
I haven't updated this in awhile so...

Battle Hunter (ps)

A budget title for the original playstation, Battle Hunter was by and large ignored by the common gamer. It's a quirky little game with more in common with board games than anything else. The basic premise is this: You're a treasure hunter hired to find a specific item from a dungeon. You're in direct competition with three other hunters on the same mission. Other than having to worry about said hunters, you'll also encounter traps and the standard monster dungeon-fare. The one who exits the dungeon with the saught-after treasure will earn him or herself the reward money while the others have to make do with what they earned along the way. They all may then raise stats and sell items in an rpg-esque twist to better themselves before they are thrust once again into another dungeon for some more treasure hunting.

The gameplay is turn-based with each character having the option to move, attack, or heal. However, in a board game-like twist you have cards to assist in these actions. Thus a movement card may add to your base movement or help in an escape attempt; whatever you want to do really. It's a lot of fun with four players but with one it is a bit difficult (as I recall you lose the game if you're not the one who leaves with the required treasure, forcing you to save constantly). The graphics and audio, while definitely showing their budget title heritage, get the job done nicely.

All in all, Battle Hunter is definitely worth a try if you enjoy some slow paced strategy and being that it was a budget title before, I can only guess how cheap it may be to get a hold of now. Happy hunting. Grin
Edited by boogiepop on 28. July 2007 06:28
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

boogiepop
Resurrecting this thread because 1) mech games are getting some attention in another thread and 2) I assume certain newer members (like merlin) will be on this like stink on a monkey.

merlin
I never noticed this thread before Boogiepop. These underrated game threads are always worth doing. Never tried Scarab or Battle Hunter. From your description of the gameplay Scarab does sound pretty interesting. I like the idea of Egyptian gods fighting each other with robots in a futuristic setting! I can't seem to find any videos for this game.

That site Phry mentioned is very good and well worth a look. I noticed they've changed the site url.

http://www.hotud....

My pick for this thread is 'The 100 World Story - The Tales on a Watery Wilderness' a Famciom RPG. It's a fairly unique game that's given me a lot of enjoyment and it seems like few people know about it. Although it was only released in Japan the game was translated and can be played on an emulator or a repro NES cart.

It's an RPG board game for up to 4 players. There are three scenarios to pick from like slaying a dragon or rescuing a princess etc. but every time you play the game is different and the maps are randomly generated. No two games are ever the same. There are loads of optional side quests, battles and other random events. I've only played this in 2 player mode but I imagine with 4 people this would be amazing. You can help each other out in battles and even combine to form parties or you could opt to be more aggressive and attack each other. The object is to keep increasing your level, acquire better weapons, armour and magic and then whoever accomplishes the scenario objective is the winner.

http://www.youtub...dCSlTIjh74

boogiepop
That looks right up my alley, merlin. I adore non-traditional board game video games. Board games were a childhood passion of mine and when one realizes that consoles remove much of the game-slowing dice rolling (and so on), it becomes apparent that these two forms of entertainment actually mesh pretty well. Maybe we could play a bit of THAT next time we meet up online.

Have you ever tried MULE on the Nes?
Edited by boogiepop on 28. May 2011 03:15

merlin
I think you'll really enjoy it Boogie. Playing it online would have been good but I've already tried it quite a few times and unfortunately it kept freezing every time. I don't think it's going to work online. :(

I also enjoy playing regular board games and agree that they can work very well as video games. Risk on the Mega Drive was a pretty good one too.

Never heard of Mule before. Just checked out a video and it looks pretty unusual. I'll definitely give it a go.

boogiepop
merlin wrote:
I also enjoy playing regular board games and agree that they can work very well as video games. Risk on the Mega Drive was a pretty good one too.

Funny, I was actually thinking the same thing. The AI is pretty good on the Mega Drive version and always presented a fairly accurately approximation of real life play. I always set the cannon fire to random, of course.

MULE is widely recognized as being a masterpiece well ahead of its time. It had concepts that board games figured out a good 15 to 20 years later, resulting in the recent boom in high quality, Euro style board games. I'd suggest reading some kind of guide or faq first before trying it though, lest you get quite confused.

Hmm, I guess going off topic is okay when there are only two of you posting Pfft
Edited by boogiepop on 28. May 2011 17:43

RiKo
Not really underated but im not sure that many people played it but Laser Squad is an amazing game. i had it on Spectrum and Amiga. it kind of follows on from the board game theme because its like a turn based war game. works really well in video game form and is very easy to pick up and play. one of the best games of all time for me. if only it had more scenarios. it's by the same guy who did the X-Com games but Laser Squad is much simpler and all the better for it.

ive always wanted to play Rocket Knight! i do have a MD so i willhave to look out for it.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
boogiepop
RiKo wrote:
Not really underated but im not sure that many people played it but Laser Squad is an amazing game. i had it on Spectrum and Amiga. it kind of follows on from the board game theme because its like a turn based war game. works really well in video game form and is very easy to pick up and play. one of the best games of all time for me. if only it had more scenarios. it's by the same guy who did the X-Com games but Laser Squad is much simpler and all the better for it.

ive always wanted to play Rocket Knight! i do have a MD so i willhave to look out for it.

I've never heard of it before. And what are the X-com games? Interesting... Hmm

RiKo
Hi Boogie, sorry i missed your post. Laser Squad was a sequel to the Rebelstar Raiders games. i think one came out on GBA. The X-Com games have the same turn based gameplay but introduce a more detailed story and more feature.. They came out on PC and Playstation. I remember X-Com : Enemy Unknown and X-Com : Terror from the Deep. i never really got into those since i prefered the simpler gameplay of Laser Squad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
another one of the best games ever that most people will never play is Exile on BBC Master or Amiga. its an 8-bit Arcade Adventure with 8-way scrolling, monsters to shoot and puzzles to solve. its set in space and has its own physics system and monster AI. You can also shoot at any angle or throw any object at any angle. i still want to go back and finish it. I was actually in the contact with the one of the authors a while back - Peter Irving. and what a nice man. Exile was (belatedly) awarded a 10 out of 10 by Edge magazine. and they dont give those out lightly. i believe in 18 years they have only given out 16 such awards.

Personally i prefer the colourful BBC 128k version (the 32k version has a smaller playing window) because they gave the Amiga version 'mature' graphics. However the BBC version is maybe a bit unpalatable these days because the scrolling isnt the smoothest. Once you get into playing it though you dont notice. The original game also came with a novella which told a story and gave you lots of clues.

androidarts.com/exile/exile_bbc_micro_stealing_power_pod.gif

BBC Version

ugdb.com/dynamic/gdb/game/1000/450/screenshots/original/169103.gif

Amiga Version

there is also a CD32 version with a zoomed in viewpoint - so it looks better but doesnt actually play as well. duh!
Edited by RiKo on 11. June 2011 20:02
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Jump to Forum: