3D Stick FPS
boogiepop
is the new champion in
Pacman with 124330 points
Pacman

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2639
Thread Info
There are 24 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5791 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
How does Ghost Pilots fare up compared to other shooters?
Its excellent! A good addition to the shmup library! Its excellent! A good addition to the shmup library! 15%[2 Votes]
Its great! Though it could use some work... Its great! Though it could use some work... 31%[4 Votes]
Its ok, but pretty forgettably, methinks Its ok, but pretty forgettably, methinks 54%[7 Votes]
Bah, its pretty bad, not worth mentioning Bah, its pretty bad, not worth mentioning 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 13
 Print Thread
Ghost Pilots discussion
The eccentric cat
Game of the Week time!

Ghost Pilots is another vertical shmup on the NeoGeo. Its quite similiar to Capcom's 1942, so fans of the game should feel at home here. Unfortunately however, this shooter really doesn't offer anything new to the system,..

But I may just be silly, come join the discussion thread to elaborate!

Ghost Pilots

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/ghost_pilots_cover_t2.jpg

Genre: Shoot 'em up
Players: 2
Size: 55 megs
Released on: AES, MVS, Neo CD

Brief Description:

Ghost Pilots is a vertical-scrolling shoot 'em up arcade game released in 1991 by SNK.The gameplay is straightforward with elements similar to that of Capcom's 19XX games, but it is incredibly difficult even on the easiest difficulty level. Unlike most scrolling shooters, the vehicle is a seaplane instead of spaceship or airplane. As the in-game instructions indicate, move the joystick around to maneuver the seaplane. Press the A Button to fire bullets. The player can also hold the A button for a fully-automatic fire. Press the B Button to launch bombs from the inventory.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_36/gpilotstitle.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_36/gpilotsintro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_36/gpilots1.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_36/gpilots2.jpeg

Reviews:

Ghost Pilots review by Kazuya_UK

Videos:

YouTube Video

Highscore Challenge:

Here it is!

Good luck, nyaa!

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->

#36 Neo Drift Out -->

#37 Magical Drop 2 -->

#38 Top Hunter -->

#39 Savage Reign -->

#40 Metal Slug 2/X -->

#41 Alpha Mission 2 -->

#42 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->

#43 Art of Fighting 2 -->

#44 Super Sidekicks -->

#45 Sengoku 2 -->

#46 Metal Slug 3 -->

#47 Burning Fight -->

#48 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->

#49 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->

#50 King of Monsters 2 -->

#51 Samurai Shodown 2 -->

#52 World Heroes 2 -->

#53 Last Resort -->

#54 Rage of the Dragons -->

#55 Leauge Bowling

#56 Metal Slug 4 -->

#57 Legend of Sucess Joe -->

#58 Puzzle Bobble -->

#59 Pochi and Nyaa -->

#60 Robo Army -->

#61 Captain Tomaday -->

#62 Metal Slug 5 -->

#63 King of Fighters '97 -->

#64 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->

#65 The Super Spy -->

#66 Strikers 1945 Plus -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 01. June 2010 02:15
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Tobalman
Eh

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
The eccentric cat
Why do I feel like I've done this game before @_@
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Tobalman
We were discussing this game not too long ago. Hmm...

Will
It would also seem that it bears a striking resemblence to Capcom's 19XX series. What makes this game more original as a vertical shooter is being the only one to drive a seaplane. Sadly this game is one level shooter with no air-to-air or air-to-ground tactics. This game sure has a lot of overall games. It has no plot, no names of the pilots or enemy general or even the name of that evil organisation or army and their intentions. Judging by the intro cinematic and the landscapes, the game seems to take place somewhere in South America. Does the title Ghost Pilots really match the pilots? They certainly don't hide in the jungle canopy or the sky clouds like the Phantom Fighter.

The biggest bother of the game is its grossly difficult skill of gameplay, samey planes and tanks with little to no variety, inaccurate geographical features like multiple volcanoes in one of the air strike stages and the oversized out of scale bosses. The worst weapon in the game is the magnetic warhead with its honeycomb-shaped force field. SNK may have gotten a little sloppy in the development in the game because the first stage music track is repeated with an identical track in two of the sea strike stages only the beginning bit is cut off, why did they not remix it instead?

Ghost Pilots could do with a decent improvement if it were to catch up with the other classics. I could picture Ralf, Clark, Heidern and Whip piloting the seaplanes instead of the no name pilots.

STE C
Its not a great shooter to be honest it lacks any kind of lasting appeal and gets boring very quickly. I would be surprised if anybody is a big fan of this.

NeoStrayCat
To me, its just another 19XX game with no variety, nothing much though.
Edited by NeoStrayCat on 26. May 2010 18:51
gamercards.exophase.com/33313.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
merlin
STE C wrote:
I would be surprised if anybody is a big fan of this.

I'm a big fan of this one STE. Grin

I'll admit it's a fairly simple shoot 'em up lacking in flashy power ups but I really like it. Graphically it looks very good especially considering it's one of the earliest Neo Geo games. Having a choice of routes through the game is a nice touch and I also like that you can pick different kinds of bomb attacks. Some of the bosses are huge and look impressive. I find the gameplay addictive and I'd say it's a pretty underrated game. Also for any AES owners on a tight budget wanting to add a shooter to their collection this is a good option.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

LIFE_IN_2D
I've always found this game fun. I really don't have any reason to dislike it, "rip-off" or not. I think is an improvement over some earlier 19XX games, especially graphically.

-----------

Off Topic: Nice new sig Merlin, it suits you well.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 26. May 2010 20:15
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Keita-Kata
After looking a few videos of Ghost Pilots on Youtube. It's a mediocre game to me, but it's a challenging game. Capcom's 19XX games is better, especially 1943, 1943 Kai, 1941: Counter Strike.
i39.tinypic.com/16as66f.jpg

PSN: KeitaKata and BlackWings83

priest
White Angel wrote:
After looking a few videos of Ghost Pilots on Youtube. It's a mediocre game to me, but it's a challenging game. Capcom's 19XX games is better, especially 1943, 1943 Kai, 1941: Counter Strike.

Maybe you should actually play the game before you lay your judgement on it?

I mean looking at a clip of a game is one thing, playing the game could be a whole different story. Not saying that you got to like it just think that you should try itSmile
img102.imageshack.us/img102/9359/lastsuppersnkhz7.gif

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

img339.imageshack.us/img339/6738/1032017122.th.jpg

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoGeoNinja
White Angel wrote:

priest wrote:
Maybe you should actually play the game before you lay your judgement on it?

I mean looking at a clip of a game is one thing, playing the game could be a whole different story. Not saying that you got to like it just think that you should try itSmile

AS MUCH AS...
I'm inclined to agree with you Priest, from a logical standpoint, in this instance... I actually think Angel is spot on. I know it's a strange argument, but after playing many many games for many years, you can usually get a good idea of what a game will feel and actually play like JUST from watching a video. It's true.

I'm the proof in the pudding(?)... I watched a video of GPilots on YTube when I saw it was GOTW. I thought, from the video that the game looked... well, yeah, mediocre. Anyway, I DL'd the game and gave it a shot through MAME and indeed, yes: it is mediocre.

Mediocre doesn't mean it's crap and it doesn't mean it's good either. It's completely middle of the line stuff - it does nothing outstanding and nothing terrible. Angel was spot on too... 43, 43Kai & 41 ARE much better than this game. Not that it actually matters... Grin

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

GeeseTheDuck
I've never even heard of this game before,
after looking up a few videos, i can safely say that i don't feel like playing it.
the title screen looks cool though.
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
merlin
It's true you can get a fair impression of a game from watching videos but I still recommend people to give this a try. You might enjoy it more than you think. Also sometimes when you first play a game it doesn't really grab you but grows on you with time. I'll admit it's a fairly simple shooter and might not seem all that original but it looks good and plays well.

I agree with Will that Ghost Pilots does a seem a bit of a strange title. Why is the Grim Reaper on the title screen? Shock

Thanks for the sig comment 2D. I like your Pulstar sig too. Looks very good.

LIFE_IN_2D
merlin wrote:
Why is the Grim Reaper on the title screen? Shock

Because in this game... the Grim Reaper is coming for yo' ass!
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Tobalman
"Why is it called 'Ghost Pilots?'"

I always figured this is some post-WW II fantasy battle. Old Army pilots return to complete unfinished business? Maybe I'm just making this up, but I think I saw the logo on one of the planes...?

Edit: indeed, I've seen at least two art work pieces that have the grim reaper logo on the planes.
Edited by Tobalman on 28. May 2010 06:32

merlin
Lol 2D LOL

You could well be right Tobalman. Never really paid much attention to the plane markings before. It would have been nice if they had come up with a story for this game.
Edited by merlin on 28. May 2010 11:12

Glowsquid
It's pretty bad. Your plane is way too big and slow, so bullet patterns that would be pedestrian in any normal shmups are nightmarish here. You also loses all your powerups when you die, which leads into a vicious cycle where you can't get powerup because you can't kill anything and end up dying over and over because you can't get any fucking powerups.

A shame too, as with a few balance tweaks, the game could have been excellent. The backgrounds are superbs for such an early release and several bosses have interesting attack patterns. I guess it can be fun if you the Uni-bios and use the cheat to alway have max power weapons.

STE C
AS MUCH AS...
I'm inclined to agree with you Priest, from a logical standpoint, in this instance... I actually think Angel is spot on. I know it's a strange argument, but after playing many many games for many years, you can usually get a good idea of what a game will feel and actually play like JUST from watching a video. It's true.

quote]

I do agree with this but it depends on the experience of the individual for instance a shooter fanatic like Ninja can pretty much sum it up from a vid as he has duly done and was correct in his comments in my opinion. Obviosly you can not suss a game 100% from a vid but many of us older timers can usaully get the gist pretty accurate.

arcadematt
The hit box is maasive and ennoys the hell out of me. Other than that I do enjoy this game its 20 years old now and I still play it.

Jump to Forum: