Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: CO9207
Thread ID: 260
Thread Info
There are 8 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4930 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Favourite SNK/Neo-Geo Beat Em up? (Besides Sengoku 3)
CO9207
OK, what is your favorite beat em up made by SNK for the Neo Geo (I am also allowing ADK like Ninja Combat or Gang Wars) and pre and post. (Games like P.O.W. and Street Smart for example) and you can't say Sengoku 3 since that is the best one and everyone likes it, so please, I ask besides that. Smile

My faves are Burning Fight (I have a thing for knock offs and I am a fan of Final Fight), Mutation Nation (I like the whole mutant apocalypse thing) and Robo Army (Play it just for Maxima, my favorite Canadian fighter in KOF). Other than the Neo Geo, I also like P.O.W. and Gang Wars (A game made by ADK for SNK Hardware) they both stink badly (Especially Gang Wars) but there is a certain nostalgic factor when playing them. I like it when they say in Gang Wars: "Even the punks are notoriously incompetent. It's our turn to show them how!" Classic. Pfft

HexElf
Hitlist dropping in by the FGG!

3rd place : Sengoku 2
Character designs that makes my eyes hurt won't stop this game from getting you hooked for a while. Very original.

2nd place : Robo Army
I just love robots and SNK managed to get a great feel of robot smashing in the sound effects. The special moves are great fun to use as well.

1st place : Mutation Nation
Underrated BEU that plays just like a Final Fight clone and it has a cool soundtrack too. There are both mutants and robots waiting to trash you in this one.
Check out my wiki on this game at http://en.wikiped...ion_Nation
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
Shiny
Sengoku 2. More ideas than any other scrolling beat 'em up on the Neo. Though I too am a fan of Mutation Nation (it's a nostalgia thing). Wink All of the Neo ones are pretty good, they're just completely overshadowed by far far superior games by other companies.

It's a pity SNK never got the hang of these kind of games until Sengoku 3, it's the only one that comes close to touching Capcom's or Konami's. Or Sega's for that matter. Imo the best examples would have to be Streets of Rage 2 on the Megadrive, Batman Returns for the SNES, and all the obvious ones by Capcom with Cadillacs and Dinosaurs p***ing down on the rest from an enormously great height.

Edit: And I quite like Eight Man. (Hides face) I know, and I'm sorry.
Edited by Shiny on 20. March 2007 02:47
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

candycab
Ive always liked Robo Army over any of the others, not sure why but its just one of those games that are fun to play repeatedly.

Believe it or not it gets probably 10 times the play time my Sengoku 3 does Grin

I think the game length is about right and I like the whole robot army bad guy thing. Out of all the games I own that and Ninja Commando probably get played the most.

I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

boogiepop
I can't say I've ever gotten into any of the neo beat'em ups. Sorry! I've been spoiled on SOR 2 I guess. I used to enjoy D&D and Ninja Turtles in the arcade but again, SOR 2 has made me its eternal b**ch.

merlin
Apart from Sengoku 3 I would have to say Sengoku 2 is my next favourite. It's a very enjoyable game. To be honest I am not a fan of the other scrolling beat 'em ups on the Neo Geo. I can see though that they have a certain nostalgia/retro appeal.

Being a big fan of Double Dragon games especially Double Dragon 2 on the Nes I think it is a shame Technos chose to make it as a fighting game. Of course Double Dragon on the Neo Geo is a good game (apart from the sound effects) but it would have been great if it had been a scrolling beat 'em up instead.

Apart from that Streets of Rage 2 on the megadrive is probably my all time favourite.

Kazuya_UK
Same here to be honest, I'm not a fan of the side scrollers on the Neo, other than Sengoku 3, and I've never made a secret of that. I don't think that they are all awful, but unfortunately if you compare them to Capcom's side scrollers, they just seem very bland and devoid of any real interest. I'd much rather play Cadillacs and Dino's or AVP than most of SNK's efforts.

If I had to choose, I would probably say Sengoku 1/2, as they did hold my interest for a lot longer than the other choices available on the Neo.

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
sotenga
Kazuya_UK wrote:
Same here to be honest, I'm not a fan of the side scrollers on the Neo, other than Sengoku 3, and I've never made a secret of that. I don't think that they are all awful, but unfortunately if you compare them to Capcom's side scrollers, they just seem very bland and devoid of any real interest. I'd much rather play Cadillacs and Dino's or AVP than most of SNK's efforts.

A big ditto on that, sire. You've even mentioned two of Capcom's most prime examples for that genre. I was lucky to have AvP in my local arcade for a while, and I grew up loving every iota of it. Never did beat it until I rediscovered it on emulation, though. I fell in love with it all over again! And CaD is just a tops game from start to finish, which has one of the most innovative atmospheres I've ever played in a beat-em-up. Shame we'll never ever see any of them on a Capcom Classics Collection due to fucking licensing issues. :(

However, I would like to put in a bid for Captain Commando and Battle Circuit, the former of which was featured on CCC Vol. 2. However, Final Fight still holds a special place in my heart and is probably on my top 100 list of all time favorites.

But then there's SNK... seems that the general consensus with which I concur is that Sengoku 3 is the only totally epic BEU they've ever made. However, I thought that Mutation Nation was at least a good title, awesome enough to hold my attention to the very end. Can't really say that I favored the first two Sengoku titles, but I forced myself through them so I could appreciate S3 all the more. S3 and MN stand out in my mind as the only worthwhile SNK BEU's, and that's the final word.

Jump to Forum: