Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: 1983parrothead
Thread ID: 2566
Thread Info
There are 8 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9888 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Viccom / Fight Fever
1983parrothead
I've decided to create a topic not only about the infamous Neo-Geo title, Fight Fever, but I have also decided to tell as much about its creator, Viccom, as I know.

Viccom is SNK's Korean distributor, much like iQue Ltd. (China) and Latamel Ltd. (Brazil) being the Chinese and South American distributors of Nintendo. The founder and president of Viccom is Kim Kap-hwan, the one person that character from Fatal Fury 2 and later SNK fighting games, Kim Kaphwan, was named after. This makes me think Kim and Terry's first fight against each other in the anime being based on SNK training Viccom. Here are some photos of Kim Kap-hwan below. The third one with SNK's character next to him is probably what he looks like today.

img32.imageshack.us/img32/9872/b0051210481743dbc0264.jpg

img94.imageshack.us/img94/7438/49637f84ef451.jpg

img32.imageshack.us/img32/9111/kcronmuky9uzuimhhnd6.jpg

Here is a magazine cover with a drawing of him:

img12.imageshack.us/img12/2817/49637f84cb734.jpg

Here are the sources of these images:

http://mirror.puz...1%ED%99%98

http://the-view.p...

http://www.gamesp...1015114617

Now let's move on to Fight Fever. When the Viccom staff got bored of just distributing games, they decided to try developing their own Neo-Geo fighting game, using some developing material and designers used by SNK with permission from them. They even used Masaki Usui (voice actor of Ryo Sakazaki and Haohmaru) as the voice actor of Fight Fever's final boss, Karate Kenji. I believe Han Baedal is Viccom and Karate Kenji is SNK. Fight Fever was released on June 6, 1994.

Fight Fever, like most other fighting games released after Street Fighter II, is often considered a SFII ripoff. Well, that's too common. It mostly appears to be like a cross between Fatal Fury 2 and Art of Fighting 1 and 2. This kind of reminds me of what StarTropics and its sequel, Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II, having in common with The Legend of Zelda series other than in-game elements.

For their move sets, let's compare them to the ones seen in other fighting games:

http://www.youtub...XbyEwyIkD8

The video is an extended version of a video I found on Nico Nico Douga:

http://www.nicovi.../sm3733819

Here is a video uploaded by a Korean showing only the Danger Moves being performed without knocking out the opponents:

http://www.youtub...4uCJmts8VM

For other similarities besides moves, Fight Fever's ending is similar to the intro of Art of Fighting 1, where a picture frame shatters. It's also like the scene in Fatal Fury 1 where Terry/Andy/Joe get sent to Geese Howard. The letter's look was later used in The King of Fighters '94 and its sequels. Kang Baedal, Jhun Hoon, Lucky Glauber, Bobby Nelson (Aggressors of Dark Kombat) and Kim Jae Hoon (some probably) were inspired by Fight Fever's characters. Fight Fever's opening with Master Taekuk is similar to the intros of Fatal Fury 1 and 2. The mini games were inspired by the ones seen in the 1987 Street Fighter, as well as the ones in Art of Fighting. In fact, Takashi Nishiyama and Hiroshi Matsumoto both worked on SF1 and the AoF series, as well as some other SNK fighting games and Dimp-developed fighting games.

After they practiced developing Fight Fever, Viccom later developed the superior, but rare spiritual successor, The Eye of Typhoon, which was originally planned for the Neo-Geo, but was released for the 3DO and MS-DOS operated PCs instead, but exclusively in Korea. I know this was already been told, but this is for newcomers of this forum. If you are a newcomer, and you want to learn more about The Eye of Typhoon, go to this thread below:

http://www.neogeo...forum_id=9

It is unknown whether Viccom is out of business or not, but I hear some people say that it is now UnoTechnology (or simply UnoTac), which was founded by Kim Kap-hwan, but with his son, Kim Jae Hoon, being the president. However, it's probably like Psikyo, which was founded by Aero Fighters series staff, but isn't exactly the same as Video System. Here is the source about UnoTac.

Now what I would like to know is:

* When were Viccom and UnoTac founded (and closed, if they were)?
* Does anyone have a high-quality image of the Viccom logo seen on the front cover of the MS-DOS or 3DO versions of The Eye of Typhoon? I'm thinking about using it for its Wikipedia article.
* Is there anyone that knows Korean. The only ones I found were javiskefka from RomHacking.net and psycoblaster from GBATemp.net, but none of them replied. I heard merlin say that he knows someone who lives in Korea that's working hard at finding as much info about Viccom's works.
Edited by 1983parrothead on 05. January 2011 06:35

STE C
You have certainly been busy doing your research on this Parrothead, good on you its a very interesting thread. Anybody expand further umm as you say I reckon our own wizard Merlin may know some further clues.

NeoGeoNinja
HEY P-HEAD...
can you find me a decent scan, photo etc of the Viccom logo? If you can, I may be able to help you out with a Hi-Res version for the stuff you need... Wink

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

1983parrothead
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
HEY P-HEAD...
can you find me a decent scan, photo etc of the Viccom logo? If you can, I may be able to help you out with a Hi-Res version for the stuff you need... Wink

Ninja

Thank you NeoGeoNinja. The only Viccom logos I found are the plain one from Fight Fever's title screen, the animated one from the 3DO version of The Eye of Typhoon, and the best one from the front cover of the MS-DOS version of The Eye of Typhoon:

http://img710.ima...nameeb.jpg
Edited by 1983parrothead on 03. May 2010 06:07

NeoGeoNinja
1983parrothead wrote:
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
HEY P-HEAD...

Ninja

Thank you NeoGeoNinja. The only Viccom logos I found are the plain one from Fight Fever's title screen, the animated one from the 3DO version of The Eye of Typhoon, and the best one from the front cover of the MS-DOS version of The Eye of Typhoon:

http://img710.ima...nameeb.jpg

OK...
cheers ParrotHead. It's a shame there isn't a better resolution version of the logo available. If I can/could 'see' one (somehow?), I could re-draw it for you, but based on what I've seen so far, I'd really struggle. Sorry...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
That's an impressive amount of info you managed to gather Parrothead. Thumbs Up I hadn't seen those pictures before. Unfortunately I don't know when Viccom were founded and haven't come across a high res logo for them before. I hope someone else is able to help you out.

I have to say that while it's not as bad as people make out I personally don't think Fight Fever is very good. The Eye of Typhoon was a lot better. One thing about Fight Fever that I do quite like though is the final boss Karate Kenji. He's a pretty cool design for a boss.

I heard merlin say that he knows someone who lives in Korea that's working hard at finding as much info about Viccom's works.

Actually just to clarify this what happened was that I found a Korean shopping service website and contacted a woman through that. She's looking for a physical copy of The Eye of Typhoon for me but not info about Viccom.
Edited by merlin on 05. May 2010 20:07

1983parrothead
merlin wrote:
That's an impressive amount of info you managed to gather Parrothead. Thumbs Up I hadn't seen those pictures before. Unfortunately I don't know when Viccom were founded and haven't come across a high res logo for them before. I hope someone else is able to help you out.

I have to say that while it's not as bad as people make out I personally don't think Fight Fever is very good. The Eye of Typhoon was a lot better. One thing about Fight Fever that I do quite like though is the final boss Karate Kenji. He's a pretty cool design for a boss.

I heard merlin say that he knows someone who lives in Korea that's working hard at finding as much info about Viccom's works.

Actually just to clarify this what happened was that I found a Korean shopping service website and contacted a woman through that. She's looking for a physical copy of The Eye of Typhoon for me but not info about Viccom.

Thank you, merlin.

Of course Fight Fever is good, but not very good, because it was Viccom's first video game. Remember, the first step is always the hardest, so anyone would most likely do poorly, before becoming better.

SNK's first game was Micon Block (no screenshots available and not MAME'd yet, but most likely based on Atari's Breakout).

ADK's was either Shougi (a typical, but very good Japanese chess game, according to Jap-Sai's ADK article. In fact, it was remade for the Neo-Geo as "Syougi no Tatsujin".) or Janputer (world's first arcade, Mahjong game).

Taito's was Elepong (Taito's version of Atari's Pong).

Data East's was Super Break (no screenshots nor MAME'd, either, and is also most likely their own version of Atari's Breakout).

Irem's was probably IPM Invader (their own version of Taito's Space Invaders).

Nintendo's first arcade game was EVR RACE, but that was mechanical. Their first video arcade game was most likely Block Kuzushi (also known either as Block Fever or Block Breaker; another Breakout-inspired game).

Namco started with Gee Bee (a Breakout/pinball hybrid).

Tecmo began with Pleiads (similar to Namco's Galaxian and Galaga arcades, and especially Amstar's Phoenix and Nintendo's Space Firebird).

For Capcom, their first one was Vulgus (similar to Namco's Xevious and perhaps especially Tecmo's Star Force).

For Konami, like Irem, started with their own version of Taito's Space Invaders called "Space King".

This list is becoming a little long and a little off-topic, but it helps show that Viccom weren't the only ones that had their first video arcade game not-so-successful. For other video game companies, I can't mention them right now.

Now back on topic. A friend of mine from Know Your Meme (who lives in Japan) name "mona_jpn" knows English and Japanese, but he said he's good, but not very good at speaking English, so here is his summary about Fight Fever:

About Fight Fever
> http://www12.ocn....bo/ff.html

Webmaster says that

* every characters has special shooting move (like hadoken) .

* throwing attack doesn’t work when characters are too close. therefore well character’s spacing is very important.

* strange damage control system : counter attack gives heavy damage. but normal attack sometimes doesn’t give any damage.

* strange come down setting:
characters doesn’t come down by foot sweep but do that by high kick. When we finish a match with shooting move which doesn’t have coming down effect, a loser is still standing and we can’t feel our victory.

* poor background graphics. Shinkansen looks a slow single‐track railroad.

* all sound effects are heard in some other game. (which they mean SNK's Fatal Fury 2/Special and, most notably Art of Fighting 1 and probably 2)

*Even if we win a match perfectly, we can’t score more than 10,000 pts. But this game is preparing to show a six-digit number.

* All characters’ ending movie is same and doesn’t have worth for us to clear the game by beating awfully difficult last boss “Karate Kenji”.

About the website:

> http://www12.ocn....ndexk.html

Each article in that web page describes

1. feature of the game
2. how to play
3. characters’ background settings
4. walkthrough

about each lesser-known 2d fighting game in 1990s.

Author explains about them not exaggeratingly but too honestly. So, each article is a little interesting.

Sometimes people like challenges, sometimes they don't. In other words: "This game sucks!" VS. "I not very good at this game!" Tecmo's first NES Ninja Gaiden game for the NES was successful, but has some annoying, difficult parts. Hudson's NES game Milon's Secret Castle was popular in Japan, but is hated by several gamers outside of Japan. Japan understands the point of video games more than most other regions do. When Namco's Xevious and Tecmo's Star Force came out, they were so successful in Japan, they inspired other games in this genre, but other regions didn't understand the points of them, while thinking they are nothing but another space shooter, which they got sick and tired of. Even David Crane no longer enjoyed space shooters.

I hear some people enjoy Fight Fever, just because of it being pretty fun, especially if you know all the moves. I guess it's a lot better than Best of Best. Like Fight Fever, Best of Best was developed and released the same year by another Korean company, Sun-A Electronics. However, Sun-A not only stole some sprites from fighting games by other companies for this game, but they also did the same thing with their other games. Viccom did the same thing to Fight Fever, but by asking SNK's permission, which is better than stealing.

Viccom makes me think of Nintendo of America, who did similar things other than distributing video games for a certain company. As SNK's Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting franchises are to Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda series. As Viccom's Fight Fever (borrowing content from FF and AoF games) is to Nintendo of America's StarTropics series (borrowing Zelda's elements).
Edited by 1983parrothead on 15. December 2010 04:33

NeoStrayCat
The Fight Fever topic really needs a serious update, and how, cause I'm putting up the Move List here, as TetsuoYagami did for The Eye of Typhoon.

PS: Nevermind, there's a link to all the complete moves, but I'll leave the text one here just in case.

http://www.gamesd...Viccom.htm

*-Indicates Danger Moves (Requires life to be around 30% to perform.)

Han Baedal:

1) Tiger Simoon: QCF,P
2) Rising Tiger: U, then while in mid-air, D, B
3) Tiger Rushing Kick: HCF, K
4) Fierce Tiger Fist: F,B,F, C
5) *Ryuko Ranbu: F, HCF, B+D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miyuki:

1) Spinning Whirlwind: QCB, A/C
2) Dashing Hips: QCF, B
3) Typhoon Kick: DP, C
4) Twin Claw: D, U, B
5) *Super Twin Claw: HCB, F, B+D
Rophen Heimer:

1) Twin Palm Wind/Style : QCB, A/C
2) Flying Scissors Kick: HCF, B
3) Taichi Breaker: Hold C, then F, HCF
4) Somersault : D, U, B
5) *Super Taichi Breaker: D, F, B, A+C
Magic Dunker:

1) Dunk Shot: QCF, P
2) Rising Double Punch: F,B,F, A
2) Basketball Kick: QCB, K
3) Burning Roll: HCF, P
4) *Super Buring Roll: Hold B+D then F, HCF
Golrio:

1) Heat Throwing Fist: QCB, P
2) Windmill: QCF, DUF, B
3) Turtle Belly Kick: DP, C
4) *Super Turtle Belly Kick Hold B+D, then, B, HCB
Kim Hoon:

1) Eagle Feather Wind: QCF, P
2) Eagle Swooping Strike: HCF, K
3) Eagle Heat Kick: F,B,F, C
4) Eagle Claw Kick: HCB, A
5) *Super Eagle Swooping Strike: F, HCF, B+C
Chintao:

1) Braided Hair Strike: QCF, B
2) Snow Scattering Palm: QCB, A/C
3) Thunderclap Kick: Hold C, then HCF
4) *Super Thunderclap Kick: HCB, F, A+C
Nick Commando:

1) Hand Grenade: QCB, A/C
2) Dashing Headbutt: F,B,F, K
3) Half Moon Fist: F, HCF, A
4) Danger Move: ?
Master Taekuk:

Only playable in 2P mode.

1) Multiple Foot Strike: QCF, A/C
2) Hawk Claw Grip: U, then while in mid-air, D+B
3) Perpendicular Stomp: D, U, C
4) Pulling Hand Blow: Hold A, then F, HCF
5) *Super Pulling Hand Blow: HCF, HCB, F, A
Karate Kenji:

To play as Karate Kenji, Hit Dips 1-2, 1-3, and 1-4. Kenji can be used in both 1P/2P Modes.
This will replace using Taekuk in VS 2p Mode, unless you turn the Dips off to use Taekuk.

Note: Kenji does not have a Danger Move.

1) Full Moon: QCF, A/C
2) Reiki Ryu Wave: QCB, B
3) Lightning Reiki Hammer : F,B,F, A
4) Ryu Seung Leg: HCF, C

Whats Missing: How to do Nick Commando's DM.
Edited by NeoStrayCat on 20. December 2010 22:32
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Jump to Forum: