Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: NeoStrayCat
Thread ID: 2530
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8151 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Your Verdict on Both of These Games.
Like Like 25%[2 Votes]
Dislike Dislike 13%[1 Vote]
Maybe Maybe 25%[2 Votes]
Never Played Never Played 38%[3 Votes]
Total Votes : 8
 Print Thread
Athena/Psycho Soldier Discussion
NeoStrayCat
Hello, Welcome to another Game of the Week! (=^_^=)

And this time its a Double Feature, why, because for 1., We've haven't done a SNK Classic Arcade game in a while, and 2. It feautres both the Pop Idol/Goddess from the KoF Series, Athena Asamiya and Sie Kensou as well.

Athena

www.arcadeflyers.com/flyers_video/snk/14487601.jpg images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080715071226/snk/images/c/c5/A_Fullthrotle_flyer.jpeg

Genre: Platformer
Players: 1
Released on: Arcade, NES, ZX81/Spectrum, and Commodore 64.

Brief Description:

Athena is an SNK Arcade Classic made in 1986 which features the first ever appearance of Athena as a Goddess as also the history of this game is based on Greek Mythology. But contrary to that, its a platformer, and a very difficult one I might add, but to the point, you can use armor and weapons as power-ups in the game, but taking damage in the game is another story though, after her debut, she became a Schoolgirl in the "Somewhat" Sequel in Psycho Solider, she has also appeared in other games such as a Sequel to this one called Athena: Full Throttle (Exclusive to Mobile Phones), and in SVC Chaos and Neogeo Battle Collesium. Also here is the game's own story below.

I am ATHENA. They call me the Goddess of Wisdom, but I have grown weary of my dull life in the castle. The Fantasy World beyond the castle walls beckons to me! Strange and fearsome creatures will attack me at every turn. But I will find weapons along the way: a ball and chain, a bow and arrow, or a mighty sword will be my defense! In the Fantasy World, I can put on wings and take to the sky, or become a mermaid to explore the ocean depths. There, the Goddess of Wisdom can become the Princess of Victory!

Screenshots:

neogeoforlife.com/forum/attachments/athena1.png

Review:

N/A

Videos:

The Commerical and a Full Playthrough.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Psycho Soldier

www.arcadeflyers.com/flyers_video/snk/14018701.jpg

Genre: Platformer
Players: 2
Released on: Arcade, and Commodore 64

Brief Description:

Psycho Soldier is also an SNK Arcade Classic that was released in the same year as Athena, and the game is kinda like SonSon from Capcom. Although the comparision of these two games are different, they share some gameplay motions from it. In this one, Athena Asamiya is now a Schoolgirl and fights for Justice (Kinda like Kim Kapwhan), alongside with her partner Sie Kensou in which they later appear in the KoF series and an adventure game called Athena: Awakening From an Ordinary Life. As in their own seperated games and cameos in/for Athena: On Stage and Kensou in Crystalis. Also note that this is the first game ever to have a vocal song in it.

Screenshots:

neogeoforlife.com/forum/attachments/ps1.png

Review by Kazuya_UK:

http://neogeoforl...age_id=270

Videos:

Gameplay

YouTube Video

Highscore Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=2534

Good Luck~Nya (=^_^=)

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->

#36 Neo Drift Out -->

#37 Magical Drop 2 -->

#38 Top Hunter -->

#39 Savage Reign -->

#40 Metal Slug 2/X -->

#41 Alpha Mission 2 -->

#42 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->

#43 Art of Fighting 2 -->

#44 Super Sidekicks -->

#45 Sengoku 2 -->

#46 Metal Slug 3 -->

#47 Burning Fight -->

#48 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->

#49 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->

#50 King of Monsters 2 -->

#51 Samurai Shodown 2 -->

#52 World Heroes 2 -->

#53 Last Resort -->

#54 Rage of the Dragons -->

#55 Leauge Bowling

#56 Metal Slug 4 -->

#57 Legend of Sucess Joe -->

#58 Puzzle Bobble -->

#59 Pochi and Nyaa -->

#60 Robo Army -->

#61 Captain Tomaday -->

#62 Metal Slug 5 -->

#63 King of Fighters '97 -->
NeoStrayCat attached the following images:
ps1.png athena1.png

Edited by NeoStrayCat on 04. May 2010 16:37
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Will
That's the second time ever a Non-Neo-Geo SNK game is Gotw. I've played those games only once. Pyscho Soldiers I didn't find exciting really due to its endless seeming platform swapping and smashing through the levels. Athena seems better, being a platformer with a small resemblence to a Sega Classic like Wonderboy or Alex Kidd in Miracle World and such like. Isn't that funny? Just when you thought the oldies have died out, they're clearly recurring in the KOF series. I have never however seen Chin Gentsai in either of those old games.

NeoStrayCat
That's because Chin was part of KoF, and not the other 2 games, just look up info for that.
Edited by NeoStrayCat on 23. April 2010 20:32

GeeseTheDuck
Athena is... fun, not all that special, but fun.
Psycho Soldier
I've thought about playing, but I've never really gotten around to actually play.
Edited by GeeseTheDuck on 23. April 2010 21:09
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
STE C
I had Athena on the speccy and really liked it so I ended up buying Psycho Soldier when it came out but it had a bug in it which would not let you past the first boss, kinda reaks of game needed to be out before Xmas and they never actually completed the game. This was not actually that unusual in the 80s on UK 8 bit computers Airwolf was another game guilty of this I think it had a volcano that was impossible to get past.

Anyways played them both on Mame recently and they both stink , shocking controls and graphics not up to the quality the likes of Capcom, Taito ect were pushing out in the mid to late 80s. SNK really did improve with the advent of the NG technology.

priest
I hope youŽll join the HSC of this game:

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=2534

Note to The Stray: 1st post updated with the link for the APS HSC. Thread made "sticky".
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Keita-Kata
I have never played Athena/Psycho Soilder, I only saw a few videos of it.
i39.tinypic.com/16as66f.jpg

PSN: KeitaKata and BlackWings83

The eccentric cat
Don't sticky yet if its not ready. P:
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

NeoStrayCat
See how different they are from P.S. to KOF. And Athena too. What also seems kinda weird is Athena is wearing a Headband in Psycho Soldier when you play as her.
images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100406143031/snk/images/0/0b/Athenakofxii.gif images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100416134602/snk/images/c/c1/Kensoukofxii.gif images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100406145714/snk/images/c/ca/Athenangbc.gif
Edited by NeoStrayCat on 25. April 2010 13:00

Wonderboy
As STE C has said, both are sub-par (in pretty much every way, unfortunately) even within their historical context. It's hard to believe these were put in Japanese arcades way, way back in the day (but the things the Japanese play! Shock). Never saw one here. Athena is frustrating. I believe I've gotten to the third stage on the NES version, but only by excessive save stating. Haven't touched the game since '07. As for Psycho Soldier, it looks so bad, I won't go near it.

Edit: in Psycho Soldier, I like how the announcer says "play more" on the continue screen. What an innocent, unsuspecting remark of things to come! Anyone else catch that?
Edited by Wonderboy on 25. April 2010 19:16

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
GeeseTheDuck
Play more... play...more? playmore?... *GASP* PLAYMORE!
Edited by GeeseTheDuck on 25. April 2010 23:31
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
merlin
Great to see a few older SNK games as gotw for a change. I had only played Athena briefly a long time ago but never tried Psycho Soldier before. I gave them both a try earlier today and I actually quite enjoyed Athena. Not amazing but a fun little game with quite a few items you can acquire and the colourful graphics are appealing. Does remind me slightly of Wonderboy like Will mentioned before.

As for Psycho Soldier well I'm afraid I really didn't enjoy this one at all. Although the singing was pretty cool for an older arcade game I just found the gameplay very dull to be honest. Can't see myself wanting to play this again unlike Athena.

Raiken
I tried to enjoy Athena but just couldn't get over the frustrating controls. Haven't played Psycho Soldier yet though, so maybe I'll enjoy that. I really dig the variation of the theme that plays in KOF 94.
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

Jump to Forum: