Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: GeeseTheDuck
Thread ID: 2521
Thread Info
There are 42 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 12234 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's your reason for playing SNK Fighters today?
Basashi King
thanks for the reply bojan! i agree with what youre saying - recently ive been playing twinkle star sprites on emulation - its lucky ive got so much stuff to pay for at the moment or i might think about buying it on a$!!!

merlin, i notice you linked to the level 3 soundtrack from that game in another thread - nice pick, i love it!

theres just so many good games on the neo geo that are better alternatives to the stuff out there at the moment.

LIFE_IN_2D
Basashi King wrote:
thanks for the reply bojan! i agree with what youre saying - recently ive been playing twinkle star sprites on emulation - its lucky ive got so much stuff to pay for at the moment or i might think about buying it on a$!!!

merlin, i notice you linked to the level 3 soundtrack from that game in another thread - nice pick, i love it!

theres just so many good games on the neo geo that are better alternatives to the stuff out there at the moment.

Woah man!! You'd actually consider paying close to $600 for one game? I personally think that's madness. You must be an uber-collector!
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Black Shroud
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:I personally think that's madness.

No...that is Sparta!!
i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/ItzDucky/this-is-sparta.jpg
i160.photobucket.com/albums/t170/Viscelon/sign1lesser.gif

spirits.kaillera.ru
LIFE_IN_2D
Black Shroud wrote:
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:I personally think that's madness.

No...that is Sparta!!
i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/ItzDucky/this-is-sparta.jpg

Touche', should have seen that one coming. Pfft

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

leightonandoff
Because, like a fine wine, they just get better with age.

Now I'm going to go practice my deflecting on Last Blade Thumbs Up

Bullet
Hmmm... Yeah, I've never, I mean never, understood why SamSho 2 is held in such high regard. I'm not saying its a bad game, per se, but its clearly up on high for some and I'm not allowed to see it. I personally felt the series came into its own from 3 onward, but what do I know?

As for why I still play the Neo Geo and Snkp titles, well its a combination of nostalgia for better times I suppose, that and I like having a arcade cab in my house, but also mixed with the fact that the games still play so damn well to this very second.

I also think that as games mature as an art form, so to will the people who play them. 2D is becoming a design choice not a limitation and that makes me excited for the future.

Also, let's not forget, its just recently that 2D fighters with 3D graphics are now as responsive and fluid as their 2D sprite based counterparts. the amount of terrible 3D crimes on the ps1 and 2 are astounding.
Edited by Bullet on 12. April 2012 05:22
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Murikov
Bullet wrote:
.... also mixed with the fact that the games still play so damn well to this very second.

Exactly that's what keeps me playing these games too, they are already that great in their original form. Just think of an King of Fighters '98, Metal Slug 1-3 or a Last Blade title for example, all these games offer a gameplay depth that even after years fascinates players from all over the world.

Neo Geo games are fast-paced, colorful, full of lovely details and, most important, their gameplay is easy to learn but hard to master. Of course this isn't applicable to every title out there, but nontheless the Neo Geo library offers tons of titles which do.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

NeoGeoNinja
Bullet wrote:
Hmmm... Yeah, I've never, I mean never, understood why SamSho 2 is held in such high regard. I'm not saying its a bad game, per se, but its clearly up on high for some and I'm not allowed to see it. I personally felt the series came into its own from 3 onward, but what do I know?

I WILL ALSO NEVER, EVER...
understand this phenomenon! I owned SS1 looong before owning SS2, so I was already familiar with the early SS feel. However, when SS3 came along, I felt it COMPLETELY blew away all that had gone before it. It's not quite like comparing Fatal Fury Special with Real Bout Special, but it's kinda along similar lines imo. I mean, dont get me wrong, FFSp is a great game, but with the likes of the Real Bout series in the Fatal Fury lineage, FFSp just is NOT the best FF experience available. Same with SS2 imo. Not only does the game not play all that amazingly imo (vs the God praise), but the 6-button layout kills it for me too along with the obscure roster (Cham Cham, Sieger and Nicotine? Meh.). I WILL confess however, that I do miss the likes of Wan Fu & Earthquake from the sequels :(

Phhhffff... it's an age old argument, however, my feelings will never change on this subject. I just can't believe how amazing SS3&4 actually are, vs their predecessors!

Bullet wrote:
Also, let's not forget, its just recently that 2D fighters with 3D graphics are now as responsive and fluid as their 2D sprite based counterparts. the amount of terrible 3D crimes on the ps1 and 2 are astounding.

YEAH, MORE OR LESS...
I played some guys on a series of: Tekken Tag HD, KOFXIII, SSFIV and SFxTKN last night (and hour per game) and I have to say, SSFIV still feels too cumbersome and painful for my tastes. It just feels more like a chore... a job even, playing that game at any time. SFxTKN feels very fast, fluid and just plain old interesting by comparison Smile

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

-SD-
Because after all these years no-one has ever come close to producing a weapons based fighting game as good as the Last Blades....Headbang

I love all of Arc's manic fighting games, and they really do look gorgeous running in HD, but there's something special about the Last Blades and MotW that keeps people playing.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

shion
Since this thread has recently been erected, I'll give a reason of mine: I may have mentioned this before, but I hold SNK fighting games to a high regard because Capcom fighting games are quite overrated, and try to be the only games "in town." SNK games, however, are great alternatives.

I've always liked Samurai Shodown & World Heroes, but I believe my liking (for SNK) intensified when Capcom fanboyism reached epidemic proportions (say, early to mid '00s). Around five years ago I started getting into KoF and FF, aimed more at the hardcore. I'm still not very good though. It's on my "to do" list to get better at these two series. Grin

Lastly, the games, in general, are technically superior to Capcom fighting games (it's pretty much an established fact these days). Sure, Capcom has great graphics, but the systems are so freakin' inbalanced and the supers and stuff are way over the top. Most videos of Capcom fighting games I see involve doing some stupidly long combo that eventually ends up with the combo taking to the air, a la Dragon Ball. LOL
Edited by shion on 18. April 2012 00:33

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
LIFE_IN_2D
Nostalgia.

The world of gaming, like the world in general , is ever-changing. In the early to mid 90's gaming was simple, refined and fun. Taking on an opponent in a 2D fighter was a head rush, got your heart pounding and adrenaline going. 2D fighters are old hat, but fighters as a whole, imo, were never better than what Capcom and SNK produced. They worked magic.

EDIT: Just noticed I already posted in this thread and said the same exact thing, pretty much. If you don't like it, TOO BAD, I wont get off my soap box, YOU SHITHEELS!! : p
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 19. April 2012 02:27

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

neros
Playing fighters is my life! I fight in life and I fight to win. The first time I saw Art Of Fighting the first game I was hooked forever in that genre. Neo Geo is in my heart and soul!
My youtube channel:

https://www.youtu...er/neros77

www.ipaint.dk
merlin
-SD- wrote:
no-one has ever come close to producing a weapons based fighting game as good as the Last Blades

http://nicotter.n...sm11684736

Wink

-SD-
So that's Chaos Breaker / Dark Awake? Looks great, is it still only on the Japanese PSN Store?

And why doesn't the King have a name?
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

merlin
Yes it is Chaos Breaker/Dark Awake and it's still only available on the Japanese PSN store (1000 Yen). Excellent game and I'm sure you would enjoy it SD. One very original aspect of the game is that you can acquire lots of different artifacts which can be used in a variety of ways. The SRK wiki is well worth checking out:

http://tinyurl.co...

http://www.jp.pla...00101.html

The King has no name is the red dragon boss at the end. There is some story info written in 'engrish' during the intro but it's a bit hard to understand to say the least!

http://www.youtub...vmpro1__KE

reelmojo
Merlin, where do you buy Japanese PSN cards? I found this site which has a 1,000 Yen card for $16.49 which seems like a pretty good price. 1,000 Yen is about $12.25 USD so $4 for the convenience of just ordering a code online seems reasonable. If you know of a better place though let me know. I plan on getting Dark Awake pretty soon.

merlin
That seems like a good price Reelmojo. I bought my Japanese PSN card on ebay. I can't remember how much it cost though. I had a look on ebay just now and the prices were slightly higher ($18+) than that site you found.

bojan4o
why i am still playing neo-geo games (every kind of games not just fighting ) because they are like drug once you are on them and (you got addicted to them and like there is no cure for it)
and you can never get rid of them even if you want to
but lets just be honest who would like to do something like that
Edited by bojan4o on 11. May 2012 20:29
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Chiba3010
Like 2D, Merlin, STE C and others, nostalgia is a big part of my SNK fandom. I was a huge arcade rat back in the day, many years before SF2 ushered in the 2D fighter craze. Of course, when that happened, I ended up spending even more time in the arcades than before which of course introduced me to the MVS as well. SNK's games have always been impressive in terms of visuals and audio, with the premier franchises easily holding their own against (or in a number of cases surpassing) the best Capcom had to offer. Alot of this finesse can be boiled down to attention to detail. It is this element that gives Neo Geo fighters their longevity and many hold up very well even by today's standards. I played the hell out of SS in the arcades and fell in love with Fatal Fury (my fav SNK series) there as well. Though my access to Fatal Fury on the MVS was non-local and limited, I got to enjoy the excellent Sega Genesis port long before SF2 made its way to Sega's console and the rest is history.

Chiba3010
Also, now that I have a little more time to write, its well worth mentioning the quality, depth and eccentric variety of SNK characters. They're just so much more interesting than most of Capcom's roster of fighters. SNK just has an inspired, artistically brilliant "cool" factor surrounding so many of it's characters (not to mention some interesting back stories that can be found on SNK Wiki if, like me, you have a Japanese system and can't read the in-game text). From Ukyo and his terminal illness, Blue Mary's reasons for never smiling, Yamazaki's (psychopathic tendencies aside) ability to control the Orochi blood coursing through his veins by the sheer, barbaric strentgth of will, Iori's tormented mind and soul, all the way to Mai's ongoing, romantic infatuation with Andy Bogard, these are fascinating, deep and vaired individuals.
Even more than the ongoing, in-game plot lines of many SNK fighters (some of which have become a little too outlandish for my tastes), its these characters themselves and their personal histories that elicit within me a greater sense of understanding, familiarity and fondness towards my favorites- much more so than most of Capcom's warriors.
Also, SNK's artistic style often appeals to me more than the majority of Capcom's output (save the memorable rosters of SF2 and Darkstalkers).
Ok, time to step off my soapbox Wink

Jump to Forum: