Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: GeeseTheDuck
Thread ID: 2521
Thread Info
There are 42 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7466 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's your reason for playing SNK Fighters today?
GeeseTheDuck
We all probably stumbled upon these games on pure chance for a quick round of fun,
but why did you stick with these games, what made you keep coming back to these games years upon years on end?

In my case it's because I've always been quite weak physically ever since the beginning,
and in later times, pretty beat up mentally. I like fighting games because when i play them i can forget everything around me and just have a good match against a friend.
I also enjoy the "mano-e-mano" aspect of such games.
And i just prefer SNK's overall "style" over Capcom's.
Edited by GeeseTheDuck on 21. April 2010 21:33
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
NeoStrayCat
Nothing Much after playing other fighters from Capcom/Aksys/Etc or anything that just makes me feel like playing SNK Fighters.
gamercards.exophase.com/33313.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Basashi King
most of the new stuff stinks.

merlin
I've been a big fan of fighting games ever since Street Fighter 2 first came out. The reason I still play SNK fighters today is simply that in terms of overall style, character designs, graphics, music and of course gameplay they are some of the best fighting games ever made IMO and still play as great today as when they first came out. I do also really like Capcom's fighters but my preference is for SNK overall when it comes to this genre.

STE C
I could say a few things but the opinions of Merlin & Basashi are spot on and reflect my attitude 100%

Wonderboy
Old skool fighting is all I know. Hence, I am not exclusive to SNK games, but many were some of the better things to come out of the 90s.

And don't be so hard on yourself; you haven't even hatched out of your shell yet!

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
LIFE_IN_2D
I just like the feeling of nostalgia, playing the Neo Geo MVS (and early to mid 90's arcade games, in general) are some of my warmest memories. Arcades are all but dead now, but playing old games, specially the ones I grew up playing, (like Puzzle Bobble, SS series and Fatal fury) gives me a warm feeling that I'm sure any longtime Neo Geo fan can understand.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 22. April 2010 02:38
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Black Shroud
Video game companies are yet to top SNK stuff. Add here nostalgy factor and old-school feel (SS2 for example), its not easy to top.
i160.photobucket.com/albums/t170/Viscelon/sign1lesser.gif

spirits.kaillera.ru
Yao
Generally fighting games are my favorite genre, actually the only genre I really care about. Like Geese said I also like the "mano-e-mano" thing, and the limitless fun you can have with those games. Even though they seem to be very limited, because of limited areas and space, I think they are in fact the most limitless games there are, because no fight is the same, you can try a million times you'll never have the same match again. Different constellations, different movesets etc. ensure a never-ending learning process. You can have a quick fight or spend the whole night with these games...
SNK games are just the best fighting games in my opinion. I love their style, the atmosphere they have. I also love SNK's "underdog-status", it makes the company even more likeable in my opinion. And of course nostalgia plays a very important role too, it's this warm feeling in my belly that makes me think of my times as a teenager everytime I open one of those incredibly huge boxes, decorated with its wonderful Japanese artwork, and put this monster of a cartridge in my black premium console that they call NeoGeo...I just fucking love it! To me that is what gaming is all about!

RiKo
mine is like 2D's and Yao's reasons. with me a lot of it is also arcade nostalgia, that these games are exactly like the arcade. back in the day arcades were amazing places of wonderment and whenever a home version came out it was always inferior. even so we still got very excited, so to play the arcade version in all its glory is amazing.

as for SNK fighters well fighters are my favourite genre of game - its pure interaction, so its pure gameplay, and its the challenge of beating the machine or another human, and also it seems like you can always improve. I like SNK because i only 'found' the Neo Geo a couple of years ago and had never really played any of the games. I really like Capcom fighters but SNK ones feel different and yet they are also great! so its a bit like another flavor of ice cream to consume.
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
bojan4o
i am pissed off of people saying that ss2 is the top game from snk please stop saying that ss2 is the best of snk when there is better games from that game i am not saying that i dont love the game but its not the best
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Basashi King
i like your style bojan, you sound like an snk character issuing a challenge!

...unfortunately though, i might also be in the 'ss2 is the daddy' group. ive spent a lot of time with it recently and it is pretty tough to beat. if its not the best, it would probably have to be top 5 for me!

what do you think is the best neo geo game?

NeoGeoNinja
HAVEN'T ADDED...
anything to this thread yet, and after reading through everyone elses thoughts and reasons, it would appear I actually CAN'T add anything!

What everyone has said is spot on and, in essence, is the joint reason why we all congregate on NGFL and, if you like, celebrate the genius of SNK together on a daily basis. So many points raised by all of you that I fully agree with. The SNK and Capcom comparisons is a particularly interesting one. I agrre that the magnetism to SNK > Capcom is mainly in SNK's style, innovation and design. Personally, I genuinely think that from a Gameplay standpoint, Capcoms makes the better fighting game engines BUT they cannot match SNK overall on all the other things I've mentioned. Also, what Yao mentioned about SNKs underdog status definitely has a part to play.

NOW THEN...
as for this:
bojan4o wrote:
i am pissed off of people saying that ss2 is the top game from snk please stop saying that ss2 is the best of snk when there is better games from that game i am not saying that i dont love the game but its not the best

I have to agree with Bojan I'm afraid (maybe apart from being pissed off!). SS2 is a good game BUT it's definitely not the best SNK game ever nor is it the best SS game either! Imo all of the sequels supercede it in terms of feel, gameplay, system, GFX and character roster! The only character tragically missing fro the sequels IS WanFU... because quite honestly, Nicoteen & Cham Cham can f*cking bite it for all I care. The sequels are so much smoother and are just a wholly more enjoyable fighting game experience imo. SS2 is a great little game, and supercedes the original in everyway. However, I personally feel that it's not better than any of it's sequels.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Powerwave
im with bojan and ninja im unsure why it gets more praise that say fatal fury or kof games . plus in terms of sword fighting games i think that last blade beats it.
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

lee gray
because they are still fun plus i never got the hang of the 3d fighting games
Edited by lee gray on 16. May 2010 18:58

reelmojo
I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned storylines yet. True, the story is not the most important part of a fighting game, and many people don't care about it, but it is one area that SNK has never been matched in. You can clearly follow the stories of all of SNK's fighers from game to game and it all (mostly) makes sense and is very entertaining. And even if the story doesn't matter all that much to you, chances are the characters still do. I like Ryu and Ken as much as the next guy, but nothing ever happens to them worth mentioning so they're just avatars in a fighter for me. SNK's characters on the other hand I actually care about because SNK takes chances with their characters. Terry was completely redesigned once, so was Iori, Shermie was killed and now only appears in dream match games, starting with KoF '99 Kyo wasn't the main character anymore... the list goes on. These risks actually make you care about the characters if only for the simple fact that things can actually happen to them. Iori lost his powers, and while I may not like playing as him now I still really want to know what's going to happen to him! Whether or not you think you care about the story of fighting games it probably effects you more than you realize. Most people reading this are not Mortal Kombat fans, but I'm betting all of you could name at least 20 characters from the series, if not more. Why? Because, at least for the first few games, MK had a good story. Need another example? Why do you think it is that many SNK fans will say their favorite Capcom fighter is Darkstalkers?

Also, SNK fighters are always good, but occasionally they just strike gameplay gold on a level that is rarely matched by other companies. KoF XI, MOTW, and Last Blade come to mind. Even when they miss the mark (SvC Chaos, KoF XII) the games are still great. They aren't infallible, especially in other genres (Metal Slug 3D). But they have a certain level of quality in their games so that I know that if I ever feel like starting to learn a new fighter, I'm going to enjoy myself if I pick one of the many SNK games I never got deeply into.

And yes, even I am starting to warm up to the Samurai Shodown games. Although I still think IV is better than 2. Pfft
Edited by reelmojo on 17. May 2010 16:28

HexElf
For me Samurai Shodown 6 more or less destroys the entire series in terms of quality. Okay so it lacks blood but it makes up for it by including every character you could ever want from the 2D series, it's better looking and much better balanced - an issue SS2 can't really escape from - and also has enough nostalgia included to go around.

I recognize that Samurai Shodown 2 was pretty much the king of the hill, I said it before and I'll say it again - taking on Street Fighter 2 at the height of it's popularity and almost winning is pretty damn impressive on it's own. It makes the game one of the best fighters SNK ever made, just not the best there is.

Personally I play SNK fighters out of nostalgia nowadays, but I am said to say I am gradually losing interest now that the genre is so hot and there being so many people to fight in other games. KOF13 will definitely bring the spotlight back to them but that's a new game.
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
Black Shroud
I suppose one can say that SS6 is more balanced than SS2 by having 4 S-tier characters instead of one, but SS6 can not be called a balanced game. SS5sp is much more balanced.

In terms of how SS6 looks, I dislike the stark contrast between resolution of backgrounds and characters, it makes characters look pixelated. Why couldnt they went with old arena style. Also, SS6 has lack of japanese arenas, and the existing arenas dont capture the japanese style of series well (Especially White House arena)

In terms of characters, I would like to see Asura and Shiki in SS6, since they already had 2D versions developed for NGBC
i160.photobucket.com/albums/t170/Viscelon/sign1lesser.gif

spirits.kaillera.ru
Basashi King
possible thread hijack but ill chip in and agree with shroud about ss6, specifically on the non japanese backgrounds and the pixellated characters.

im also looking forward to bojans top game (or few games)!!

bojan4o
reelmojo wrote:
I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned storylines yet. True, the story is not the most important part of a fighting game, and many people don't care about it, but it is one area that SNK has never been matched in. You can clearly follow the stories of all of SNK's fighers from game to game and it all (mostly) makes sense and is very entertaining. And even if the story doesn't matter all that much to you, chances are the characters still do. I like Ryu and Ken as much as the next guy, but nothing ever happens to them worth mentioning so they're just avatars in a fighter for me. SNK's characters on the other hand I actually care about because SNK takes chances with their characters. Terry was completely redesigned once, so was Iori, Shermie was killed and now only appears in dream match games, starting with KoF '99 Kyo wasn't the main character anymore... the list goes on. These risks actually make you care about the characters if only for the simple fact that things can actually happen to them. Iori lost his powers, and while I may not like playing as him now I still really want to know what's going to happen to him! Whether or not you think you care about the story of fighting games it probably effects you more than you realize. Most people reading this are not Mortal Kombat fans, but I'm betting all of you could name at least 20 characters from the series, if not more. Why? Because, at least for the first few games, MK had a good story. Need another example? Why do you think it is that many SNK fans will say their favorite Capcom fighter is Darkstalkers?

Also, SNK fighters are always good, but occasionally they just strike gameplay gold on a level that is rarely matched by other companies. KoF XI, MOTW, and Last Blade come to mind. Even when they miss the mark (SvC Chaos, KoF XII) the games are still great. They aren't infallible, especially in other genres (Metal Slug 3D). But they have a certain level of quality in their games so that I know that if I ever feel like starting to learn a new fighter, I'm going to enjoy myself if I pick one of the many SNK games I never got deeply into.

And yes, even I am starting to warm up to the Samurai Shodown games. Although I still think IV is better than 2. Pfft

yes i must agree with this one cuz when i play fighting games i want to know why that guy has that mark on his t-shirt or why he is evil or why he has those scars (sorry if i misspelled) (Like gato who received all those scars from his dad while training) for me the story in every game not just fighting is very important i want to know what is going on

bassashi king i think that for the neo-geo all games are great you can find in every game that you will like if that thing its not in that game you can find it in a different game or the quite opposite so i enjoy playing those fighting games for the neo-geo those racing games puzzles shumps lately i am playing breakers revenge and ninja masters a lot and sorry if someone cant understand me
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Jump to Forum: