Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: CrazyDiamond
Thread ID: 2513
Thread Info
There are 14 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3584 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Doom is like, awesome and stuff.
CrazyDiamond
This game is cool because you can like, shoot people in the face and stuff. Uh, *ahem*. Sorry. Today's first person shooters just do not appeal to me at all. Wolfenstein made the genre popular, but Doom made it a force to be reckoned with. It's oine of the most influential games of all time. I recently started playing it again after 14 years. Even Butt-head thinks Doom is awesome:

http://www.youtub...VMg7DIRpt8

I don't know what Beavis thinks though. lol.

NeoGeoNinja
YOUR NOT ALONE...
I can hand on heart say: Doom is my most favourite FPS ever made - specifically 'Doom' & 'Final Doom' for PS1. I guess, by todays FPS standards, you could almost relate to Dooms more simple premise as an Arcade-style FPS? I hope that makes sense!

ALSO...
FYI, Doom 64 is my fave N64 game too! To be honest, I love it just as much as the PS1 releases... perhaps even more. I think that it is probably the most ULTIMATE Doom experience physically available. Doom perfection if you will... just a shame the '64 doesn't output RGB (unless you're lucky enough to have an EARLY jap '64 from back in the day?).

I NOTICED...
you acquired Doom for BOTH PSOne & SNES. Whilst the PSOne version is Doom utterly fantastic, the SNES version is somewhat, quite the achievement... don't you think?

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

CrazyDiamond
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
YOUR NOT ALONE...
I can hand on heart say: Doom is my most favourite FPS ever made - specifically 'Doom' & 'Final Doom' for PS1. I guess, by todays FPS standards, you could almost relate to Dooms more simple premise as an Arcade-style FPS? I hope that makes sense!

ALSO...
FYI, Doom 64 is my fave N64 game too! To be honest, I love it just as much as the PS1 releases... perhaps even more. I think that it is probably the most ULTIMATE Doom experience physically available. Doom perfection if you will... just a shame the '64 doesn't output RGB (unless you're lucky enough to have an EARLY jap '64 from back in the day?).

I NOTICED...
you acquired Doom for BOTH PSOne & SNES. Whilst the PSOne version is Doom utterly fantastic, the SNES version is somewhat, quite the achievement... don't you think?

Ninja

Yes, I do agree about the SNES port! It's not the best version you can get, but still, it's very impressive considering the SNES' hardware and capabilities.

shion
Today's first person shooters, what are those? Wink The best version is the original (PC), although the versions mentioned are worthy of attention. And, I think I understand what you're saying about it now being seen as an arcade style game (to some), but to say that is to completely disregard the distinction between (old school) arcade games and home console games (which is what a lot of kids today are doing I'm sure). But regarding, and especially appreciating, the distinction is something that can only be gained from direct experience, not research on the 'Net (IMO). Hmm.... Interesting!
Edited by shion on 20. April 2010 01:00

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Shiny
Doom is/was awesome, for sure. I was quite fond of the Atari Jaguar version meself. Without Doom we may not have had the greatest game ever made by mortal man, Half-Life 2.

LIFE_IN_2D
Everybody knows that Doom f*cking rocks. Personally I like Doom II best (stone me), the PC versions (both I and II) are the best to me.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

cthulhu
I also still love Doom and especially the Playstation version...still have it somewhere.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

STE C
DOOM was and still is one of the best games of all time, I also have the Jag version its ok actually but I tend to stick to PS1. Not so keen on Doom 64 ( sorry Ninja) basically because I hate the N64 pad the actually game is probably ok. N64 fuzzy awful console how I hate it.

Love Doom 3 as well and its mission pack on the PC , the Xbox done a remarkable job of it as well.

We need more Doom style FPS nowadays as most are just to clever and complex for their own good I want action based reflex games back and hopefully the new Serious Sam will deliver like the old versions.

Doom 4 is coming according to ID so very excited about that.
Edited by STE C on 20. April 2010 18:04

Will
I've played both Doom I and II plus some of their mods and extras. I prefer Doom II. Never tried Doom 3 though. I've always liked using the shotgun to kill lines of those zombified men and the super shotgun for making short work of various demons. The BFG 9000's power makes me picture an advanced Avada Kedava Curse. It took me months to figure the solution to completing the Icon of Sin. I was amazed Wolf 3D was inserted in Doom II as a secret. As for other versions, I have never tried anything but PC versions, but if they have anything particularly different, then check them out I shall.

I haven't played Doom for the time being, now I just tried out 3D games like Blood, Quake 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Hexen II.

LIFE_IN_2D
Yeah DOOM was the bastard child of Wolfenstein 3D. I Still love to play Wolfenstein 3D, it's a truly a classic and absolutely innovative game.

BTW: I read DOOM was initially going to be a sequel to Wolfenstein, but the developers chose to go a whole different route.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

IDCHAPPY
I loved all the Doom games, 3 was great aswell. I never understood all the 3 hate that went around when it came out, playing in a dark room late at night with the volume up nearly made me shite myself few times Shock

Murikov
Some (good) news for id and Doom fans!

Recently some screenshots have been leaked, supposedly showing ingame environment and some character models of Doom 4 which still is in development for quite some time.

http://kotaku.com.../gallery/1

http://www.allgam...mages.html

If these images turn out to be real, we can expect some kind of a remake of 'Doom II: Hell on Earth', where the Earth was attacked by the creatures from Hell and Flynn Taggart (the actual name of the Space Marine) was forced to kick their asses.

I already enjoyed every Doom game from the first one up to Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil, man, I even read the novels and watched the half-assed movie and I'm still keen for more. I'm sure id won't screw up the next installment of the series, even if I tend to get disappointed nowadays.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

RiKo
nice shots Murikov, although i'm not sure i like the slightly dull look they have to them, impressive detail though.

I have only played Doom on a friends PC. I had the Jaguar one but it wouldnt work dammit! Really love Quake 3 Arena on Dreamcast in Online mode, that is probably the closest i got.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
Doom 4 excites me

Jump to Forum: