Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: STE C
Thread ID: 2491
Thread Info
There are 69 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 16117 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
We are the Dreamcast Boys thats right
NeoGeoNinja
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
Thanks. I'm planning to get all the exclusives Ninja told me about in the chat yesterday... In the meantime, would any of you guys have some extra power cords and/or AV cables laying around to spare? My DC is coming with absolutely nothing (but it was a steal). Thanks..

HAHAHA...
I was telling Mark IIRC, but still, I'm very glad to have been of help!

Congrats on the purchase! You'll have to let us know how you get on. I would just like to say that, if I were currently employed (i.e. had any money) I would pay to send you over a spare lead (composite I think?) for your DC, although I cannot recommend RGB enough Wink

The power lead is just a simple 'Figure 8' lead and should be VERY easy to find and very cheap too...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

shion
Thanks anyway N. I don't think it would pan out for you Brits, but perhaps someone here will feel charitable when reading this, and hook me up with some cords.

I'm also going to try and swing Gun Lord...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
boogiepop
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
Thanks anyway N. I don't think it would pan out for you Brits, but perhaps someone here will feel charitable when reading this, and hook me up with some cords.

I'm also going to try and swing Gun Lord...

I've got what I think is a Dreamcast composite cable (unless it belongs to another system and I'm totally screwed up). How I ended up with one floating around, I don't know... but it's yours if you want.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Anselm
I've had my DC since release day. Unfortunately I never really explored it. My wife calls it the "Soulcalibur System" since that's all I ever used it for. I think I might take a second look at what I can use it for. In particular, their version of Icaruga. I love that game on the Gamecube.

~Anselm~

NeoGeoNinja
Anselm wrote:
I've had my DC since release day. Unfortunately I never really explored it. My wife calls it the "Soulcalibur System" since that's all I ever used it for. I think I might take a second look at what I can use it for. In particular, their version of Icaruga. I love that game on the Gamecube.

~Anselm~

YEAH, IKARUGA...
originated on the DC and, imo, is still the best way to play it. Played on the GCN via a 'suitable' controller is also a good alternative though, but with the standard pad sucks unfortunately (because the Dpad is sooo tiny).

And, beyond Ikaruga? Yeah, there's plenty to get involved with... Thumbs Up

Ninja

shion
Man, not to sound like a charity case, but if anyone, preferably in the States, could spare an extra power cord, I'd greatly appreciate it. I believe the PS2 used the same one as the DC, so an extra PS2 power cord will work too. A power cord is the only thing I'm missing to start enjoying some VF3/SA/PS etc. Annoyed Please PM me if you want to strike up a deal, thanks. This will definitely be the last time I acquire a gaming rig one piece at a time (novice buyers would be wise to also heed this warning)!
Edited by shion on 05. August 2011 03:07

TF73
The DC is still in the centre of my gaming collection and is used on a regular basis.
Games that I have played on it lately includes Shenmue, Under Defeat and PSO V2.
Lost my old save for PSO V2, so have started building up a new one again so I can hopefully start to play on the new V2 levels sometime in the future. Feels like i takes ages to level up when not playing online.

Either way I hope there is still more to come for the DC and I'm really looking forward to the amazing looking Sturmwind. Last Hope looks really crap compared to that one.

DC represents what Sega was all about! Hope they will come back to their roots in the not to distant future. Happy DC gaming!

RiKo
i havent played on my DC for a while im afraid:( just so many games to play and not enough time. im always going to keep it though. Something that is so fresh about it. and so many innovative games.

I will say that i got the 360 version of Crazy Taxi, and the original DC version is still better, just because of the music and you get KFC and Pizza Hut! The 360/PS3 version is in widescreen but its not enough! same with Soul Calibur, 360 version is very good. maybe if it was online it would be better. but original DC version wins Smile

My Top 10 DC Games

1. Soul Calibur
2. Shenmue
3. Jet Set Radio
4. Crazy Taxi
5. Samba de Amigo (with the maracas)
6. Mars Matrix
7. StreetFighter 3 : 3rd Strike
8. DOA2
9. Metropolis Street Racer
10. Rival Schools 2

games like Bangai-O and Ikaruga i cant put in there. they are good games but something a bit counter-intuitive about them. I find the same with many of the schmups. Good games but not system-sellers.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
Dreamcast + Shenmue 1 &2 say goodbye to a month of your life ( it will be the best month of your life mind) if you have not experienced it.

shion
Well guys, after the tips I received in the chat yesterday, I ended my procrastination of looking around the house for a fig. eight power cord. It turns out I had five of these (not all were necessarily available for immediate use); I grabbed the longest one I could find and had at it... I'm in business guys! Thanks for helping me think outside the box. I got to save myself a few bucks and now see what I've been missing all these years! Grin

Bullet
That's awesome Tobal. I'm glad you got it up and running.
Now enjoy the greatness that is the Dreamcast. You've got a lot of good games to play. I envy you in a way, coming at them fresh , playing these games for the first time. It was a great experience at the time and I still play my Dreamcast on a regular basis, as it's always hooked up and ready to play at a moments notice. The games still hold up and look great, also if you have a pc monitor and a vga cable for the Dreamcast, they can look even better. I was really surprised at how much detail there was that I was missing out on. The only problem is that not every game supports the vga cable, but those that do look great.

Anyway, now you are set up, let us know what games you have and what your thoughts are.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

NeoGeoNinja
Bullet wrote:
That's awesome Tobal. I'm glad you got it up and running.
Now enjoy the greatness that is the Dreamcast. You've got a lot of good games to play. I envy you in a way, coming at them fresh , playing these games for the first time. It was a great experience at the time and I still play my Dreamcast on a regular basis, as it's always hooked up and ready to play at a moments notice. The games still hold up and look great, also if you have a pc monitor and a vga cable for the Dreamcast, they can look even better. I was really surprised at how much detail there was that I was missing out on. The only problem is that not every game supports the vga cable, but those that do look great.

Anyway, now you are set up, let us know what games you have and what your thoughts are.

HAHAHA...
pretty much EXACTLY what Bullet just said, sans the bit about VGA (never used that!).

All the best with it all, and let us know how you get on Smile

Ninja

shion
Bullet, I do feel like an old hillbilly who has been given his first plane ride. LOL

Today I got started with some cliche, but top shelf titles: Sonic Adventure, Virtua Fighter 3tb & Soul Calibur.

SA: overall, very good stuff. The Saturn needed something like this as a launch title. But enough woulda, shoulda, coulda; the real issue is I am having trouble keeping sonic straight, since he moves so fast. I suppose I felt the same way back in '91, but eventually got the hang of it. Still, I am undecided whether Sonic is too fast for his own good (that's why there are other characters to choose from?). The homing dash makes sense here, in a 3D environment, but I still detest it in Sonic 4...

VF3: Great stuff. I get the feeling this one is aimed at the hardcore 3D fighting gamer. I seem to remember reading it's much deeper than VF2, which is saying a lot. I doubt I'll ever have the time to become an expert. LOL Otherwise, it's nice eye candy to the light gamer like myself.

SC: out of the three titles I tried today, I was most impressed with SC. A while ago, I believe I even read on here this version is actually better than the arcade (was that you saying so Ninja? Smile). I didn't play the arcade version much, but it (DC ver.) feels amazing; the animation is like water and the graphics are as good as it gets. It only took a couple minutes of watching the intro to realize I was onto something that you don't see every day. Great stuff!
Edited by shion on 09. August 2011 21:20

-SD-
Sturmwind really does look fantastic. I can only hope the playability comes close to the graphical quality.

My pre-order is already in at Red Spot Games.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

shion
Last night I scored another Dreamcast on Craigslist for $27.00! It came with two controllers, the power cord, A/V cable and a transparent blue VMU. The batteries in the VMU were dead (and pricewise those are a mother to replace). All in all, I feel like I got a great deal. The dude was pretty young (eighteen-ish) and didn't seem to realize what he was losing. Oh well, his loss! He even threw in a couple games. Now I have one in the bedroom and living room. Grin I am even considering getting a third DC, but to give to a friend, so to get him interested in it too... Smile

shion
Well guy, I may have gone overboard, but I made a third DC purchase at a yard sale down the street over the weekend. In all honesty, I'm probably going to give this to a buddy, or if he is unable to, donate to my church parish's rec room. I wish I would have known my neighbor was a DC fan, we could've rocked it together. Now he's moving and sold it. I also have my sights on a wheel via Amazon.

RiKo
good choices Tobalman Thumbs Up I love Soul Calibur, its probably still the best in the series in my opinion. I think i actually chose it for my all time favourite game. The original arcade machine ran on a Playstation arcade board, so it was inferior hardware to the Dreamcast. So they were able to make the graphics look a lot better on DC. They also added a load of extra content - modes etc. so yes one of the few games that is genuinely better than the arcade version

I havent really played VF3 very much. i heard it was actually slightly inferior to the arcade version - a bit slower and with slightly worse graphics, but still a very good game if you like Virtua Fighter.

Sonic Adventure is a good game too, it has a few rough edges since it was a very early game, and some slightly dull adventure sections. I think it might have been better if they had had side-on (2.5D) sections instead of the adventure parts, because they probably couldnt do a whole game just with the running into the screen sections
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
Sonic Adventure is a good game too, it has a few rough edges since it was a very early game, and some slightly dull adventure sections. I think it might have been better if they had had side-on (2.5D) sections instead of the adventure parts, because they probably couldnt do a whole game just with the running into the screen sections

I REMEMBER THAT THERE WAS...
quite a fanfare surrounding SAdv when it first came out and it was met with a mass positive response. I played it myself when I got a DC, being a big fan of the first 2 on the MD. However, it never sat well with me. At all. I suppose you could say that I just 'didn't get it' and even since, have never got on with 3D Sonic. Not one bit.

I also hear PPL praising Sonic Adv1 > the more recent Sonic iterations, but I really don't see the difference myself. I think they're all pretty dismal, although I'll admit, maybe Sonic Adv1 was the least offensive due to the lack of overall cheese. Sonic Adv2 was horrible by comparison (it all starts with that horrific soundtrack etc!) Shock

Still, we all enjoy whatever we enjoy, so I ain't criticising. But it's definitely all about 2D when it comes to Sonic for me (not inc. Sonic 4)
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 22. October 2011 23:26

-SD-
If anyone's interested, there's now a Limited Edition version of Sturmwind available for pre-order. It's 69.95, which works out at 66.52 including shipping.

I already had the standard edition pre-ordered months ago, but after seeing the Limited Edition I decided to order this version too.

img6.imageshack.us/img6/1592/sturmwinddreamcastlimit.jpgimg43.imageshack.us/img43/1592/sturmwinddreamcastlimit.jpg
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

LIFE_IN_2D
Need help, super fast!

Hopefully you "Dreamcast boys" can help, PRONTO...

Found a used DC, locally. It includes all AV hook ups, one standard pad, one rumble pack, one LCD memory card. Includes three games, Sonic Adventures, NBA 2K2, AND Slave Zero.

Guy is asking $35. Is it worth it?

Need to buy a DC, quickly so I can buy Gunlord.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 11. November 2011 00:32
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Jump to Forum: