Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: STE C
Thread ID: 2491
Thread Info
There are 69 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 17706 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
We are the Dreamcast Boys thats right
STE C
With reference to markthesharks recent thread it caused a bit of constructive backlash from DC lovers like myself and other members. Then a few of us mentioned that we still have our DCs set up and play it more than our PS3s ( Bullet was the first to mention then a few of us agreed)

So just how many of you guys still have your DC s set up and play on a regular basis, also why do you , what games are you currently playing and do you expect to still have it set up 10 years from now.

I have mine set up with a beautiful crt Mitsubishi diamond monitor that makes the games look amazing and I fully expect to keep it that way for the forseeble future. Shenmue 1-2 will probably always be played on a bi year basis and the quality of shooters/fighters is second to none. Fighting Vipers 2 in vga oohh a beautiful sight.

DREAMCAST the last true arcade videogame connoisseurs console.
Edited by STE C on 10. April 2010 17:31

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
DREAMCAST the last true arcade videogame connoisseurs console.

AMEN to that! Clap

AS YOU KNOW STE...
I have 2x DC's permanently set-up: 1x PAL & 1x JP.

I play my DC fairly regularly BUT not as much as I once did. This isn't because the Dreamcast is inept or anything, but simply because quite a lot of games I once had exclusively on the DC, have at some point or another since featured on the PS2... not all of them, but a good few. The same applies to the Saturn (JP) too.

My DC & Saturn are mainly used for 'Shmups' now. As aforementioned, this is because many of the fighting games I play most (inc. Saturn) have since been ported to the PS2, like KOF94 - 02, with the added advantage of the sequels which, obviously, I would have liked to have seen appear on the DC (03 - XI). After all, the AW is very similar in hardware specs to the DC. Same goes for RB1 & RBS, Waku Waku 7, Galaxy Fight, MOTWolves, CVS2, SF3 3rd Strike, all the SFZero's... etc. The list goes on! The PS2 pretty much has them all now, aside the specific few - JoJo's (CPS3 perfect?), CVS1, Project Justice, PowerStone series, SCalibur1, VF3, FV2, Last Blade 2 F.E... and maybe one or two more.

AS FOR SHMUPS...
I keep my DC & Saturn hooked up mostly for these, as these are still heavily exclusive to their original console releases - like RSG, GigaWing 1&2, Batsugun, MarsMatrix... I could tit for tat for some time between DC & Saturn (they're VERY closely linked in my gaming diet and tend to go hand in hand!) but I shalln't. 'Shmups' are my (ONLY just!) 2nd fave genre of game and without the DC (& Saturn) my gaming life would be somewhat, less rich!

THE DC...
is an amazing console and had many of it's titles not gone PS2-ward, it would have received even more gameplay time than it already does, and has! For me, the release of the likes of KOF03 & SVC only on PS2 started to signify my 'migration' to the PS2 as well as Cave's Shmups then only seeing PS2-only releases. If I want to play Ikaruga, Rez, Shenmue, Under Defeat and the like... then there is ONLY one place to go! Oh, and in truth many of the games across DC - PS2 are best on DC anyway Pfft

EVEN THOUGH IT...
had appeared that I had concluded everything regarding the DC... I just remembered something: my seeming ignorance of the DC's 'main library'. So, I have to say that the DC also has a huge amount of 'it's own games', so to speak. It of course has the best, and most vibrant renditions of SEGA's own arcade conversions (save VF3 & SR2... as - for some stupid-ass reason - Genki did these ports??) including CTaxi 1&2, Outtrigger, FV2, F355, HOTDead 2, Virtua Tennis 1 & 2 etc.

Can't forget the likes of: Shenmue 1&2, MSRacer, JSRadio, HeadHunter, PSOnline... I could seriously go on and on and on... but, if like me, you love and respect the DC and it's heritage... then you'll know 'all this' already Wink

Viva La Dreamcast...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

NeoStrayCat
Yay for the Dreamcast!
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Spooky
Hell yes, Dreamcast is awesome. I still play Jet Grind Radio and it's just as frustrating as it was when I bought it. Can't neglect games like Street Fighter: Third Strike, Capcom Vs. Snk., PowerStone, Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia..
Long long ago, there were a man..

Bullet
I grabbed my Dreamcast from japan on launch, cause there was no way I was going to wait for a domestic release. I just couldn't wait for it and I've never looked back.

There was a point , no joke, that I had well over 200 Dreamcast games!!! Seriously. I had a good job at the time and money to burn and I just bought games like crazy. I went thru a huge purge years ago tho, cause it was getting to a point where I was gonna have to pay for storage, so I just sold most of them on ebay. Not just Dreamcast games, but ps2,ps1 , saturn etc. I was just buying games and never getting around to playing them or just playing them for a bit and never touching them again and that's still happening to me this generation... Unfortunately. I've kept everything I enjoyed tho and I don't really drink or smoke so my spending money tends to go towards things like games or laser discs,lol and the last time I went out to a going away party at a bar. I dropped over a hundred bucks at the bar and was like, oh yeah this is why I don't drink, lol. Yes I know you should never drink at bars, but it was a going away party. So it was hard not to just let the drinks keep flowing.

Digressions , Digressions... Anyway.

My girlfriend is away right now in Abu Daubi and I've been eating nothing, but pizza and frosting (no reason to buy groceries or cook, when someone can bring it to my door lol) and playing my fair share of Dreamcast, when I really should be at my desk working. The games I have been playing recently on Dreamcast are AJPW Giant Gram 2000 (Misawa vs, Kobashi forever!!!), Fighting Vipers 2(Candy or Picky), Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (I'll shoot booby rockets for days) Rival Schools 2/Project Justice, The series that needs a sequel. Oh and Plasma Sword/Star Gladiator 2(Terrible Game, but I still put it in every once in a while) that's what I played last time I fired it up Saturday night. It's the same system I've had since day one as well. I do have another north american one in a box and never use it. I have a game shark disc that makes it region free, just put that in first, ignore the codes option and it plays everything.

I also go back to Shenmue 1 and 2 and give them a run thru every so often, great games, they just are I have yet to hear a reasonable assessment as to why they are not. If someone can make me go, "Oh shit!!! You are right these games are terrible", I'd love to hear it. Shenmue's impact on the rest of the industry is still being felt by the world it created, from QTE's to Yakuza, it's legacy will never die. I also enjoy a good adventure game and they are so hard to come by these days.
Also please don't say Heavy Rain lol

Yeah you really did get some great arcade games and having the Dreamcast hooked up to a VGA monitor is great, but a few titles, many of them SNK's don't work with a monitor cable, which is unfortunate.

I still play Jet Set Radio from time to time, but usually I'll play JSRF on xbox as its just a better overall game than the original. Also to Ninja's point, I bought most of the ports from arcade/Dreamcast like MVC2 ,CVS2, SF anniversary collection, KOF 02/03 etc. on the original xbox as they had better ports with less frames cut etc, I mean I' bought some of them on ps2 eventually, but that's the SNK collector in me wasting money on games I already have tho. I think if Sega had made a solid Shinobi and Panzer Dragoon games it could have been the best system ever made. From a guy who loves Sega point of view, if you dig ?
I mean it was a really solid piece of hardware and it seemed like Sega ignored much of its back catalog to push new IP's , which isn't a bad thing, its just would have pushed that system thru the roof as the hardest of the hardcore, but in the end they did alright by me and still enjoy it a lot.
Edited by Bullet on 13. April 2010 22:26
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

RiKo
i am a big fan of my DC, i rarely keep any one console set up all the time, but my DC is in the lounge easy to get out, all the wires are plugged into it so it doesnt take much time. I dont play on it that regularly now i must say, when i do its usually Crazy Taxi, Mars Matrix, Soul Calibur and 3rd Strike. those kind of games never really age. i still prefer Soul Calibur 1 to SC IV, the simplicity really benifits it. I do actually have Soul Calibur 1 on XBLA, and its a very good version, but the DC version is just better cos its original hardware. if the XBLA one was widescreen with netplay - which is how they should of made it i would be playing that. i really want an HD version of Crazy Taxi though with online score tables, that would be great.

i still like Shenmue too, i used to enjoy just following people around and seeing what they get up to. even in todays games, the cities are rarely properly alive. in shenmue all the people went to work or went shopping, or u could find them in the town late at night. there is so much detail in the game, even the birdsong u can hear in certain places.

JSR is a classic. i really like JSRF too, but it plays quite a lot differently so i still like the original as well. a game that a lot of people forget is Virtua Tennis which is still great in its original form Smile
Edited by RiKo on 14. April 2010 19:17
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
IDCHAPPY
I recently blagged a dreamcast and about 13 games from my mate Wink, got a couple of lightguns and a vmu aswell. Needs a clean up but still runs perfect even after lying in a cupboard for about 6 years.

RiKo
cool IDCHAPPY, with 2 guns you can play House of the Dead 2 John Woo Style. Thumbs Up

sometimes DCs go a bit yellow, but if its been in the cupboard it should be ok. the noise they make scares me a bit when accessing the drive, i always think it will wear out. it reminds me of the Amiga, they used to make terrible noises when accessing the disc drive

Bullet
My Dreamcast in its natural environment.

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/DSC04964.jpg
Edited by Bullet on 19. April 2010 21:01

IDCHAPPY
The only problem playing with two guns is after about 5 mins your arms feel like there gonna fall off Shock

NeoGeoNinja
Bullet wrote:
My Dreamcast in its natural environment.

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/DSC04964.jpg

YOUR DREAMCAST...
setup is very pretty Mr Bullet. I'd very much like to meet her :$

Seriously though... where did you find that sexy bitch and her 2 friends! Me so horny! (err, and jealous. Very nice Thumbs Up )

Ninja

Bullet
It's my original japanese Dreamcast, but I picked up a black Sega Sports edition and switched out the black buttons, d-pads sticks etc and put it all together. The Bottoms of the controllers are black as well.
I like to customize things here and there.
Here are my 360 and my Sega Genesis or Mega Drive if you prefer and 32X I have to finish the 32X logo and paint my Sega CD to match.

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/DSC04970.jpg

NeoGeoNinja
Bullet wrote:
It's my original japanese Dreamcast, but I picked up a black Sega Sports edition and switched out the black buttons, d-pads sticks etc and put it all together. The Bottoms of the controllers are black as well.
I like to customize things here and there.
Here are my 360 and my Sega Genesis or Mega Drive if you prefer and 32X I have to finish the 32X logo and paint my Sega CD to match.

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/DSC04970.jpg

AGAIN...
very nice. The 360 artwork is great too - nice tribute to 96 me thinks? If I was honest, I'm really liking the green marble-wash effect behind the logo - classy.

As for the White MD2 & 32-X? Have to say, throughout my time here I have made NO SECRET of the fact that I am obsessed with having my game consoles in WHITE! So yeah... I dribbled a little when I saw that. It's lovely. Only problem is... if I had that MD, in that finish, I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from buying '2nd' consoles and doing it to all those too! I say this because I already have a good helping of White consoles (1x GC, 2x DC, 2x Saturn, 2x PS2 and SNES & NES are close enough for me). Only consoles that you cannot get in White that I rather badly want (painting like your MD2) are:
3DO FZ-1, Jaguar & (ultimately!) N64 w/blue LED... probably the most 'natural' looking console painted I would imagine!

Also, I know this is an odd point to make but... the MD (especially Mk.1) is one of the ONLY consoles I actually like to see in Black! Weird I know, as I prefer the Saturn in White, DC in White etc.

So, how do you do all this? The thing that ALWAYS impresses me the most is when PPL paint the logo's back on! Now that is definitely beyond my scope...

Could you also give me a more detailed idea of how your DC came to be? Swapping buttons with SEGA Sports etc - living in the UK - this doesn't really mean much to me! Wasn't the SEGA sports console Black (think I've seen one on eBay?).

Err... yeah, that's everything...

Ninja

Raiken
My first one died from playing too many homebrew games but I got a new one fairly cheap. Need to set and play with it again since I'm back in the states.
oi66.tinypic.com/zyjcpl.jpg

NeoGeoNinja
Raiken wrote:
My first one died from playing too many homebrew games but I got a new one fairly cheap. Need to set and play with it again since I'm back in the states.

YUP...
CD-RS are bad for your GD-Rom drive - as you obviously already know. For those that don't: basically, the laser has to work double-time to read cheap-ass burnt CD's as opposed to properly pressed GD's (without getting too technical... microns etc).

Stick with the originals if poss Thumbs Up

Ninja

shion
Well guys, I can now proudly say I am the owner of a U.S. Dreamcast. This says a lot considering the only other console I own is a Neo-Geo.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
RiKo
Congrats Tobalman you have good taste in consoles. what games have you got/are getting?

Bullet - im not so keen on your Dreamcast im afraid - i prefer the original white one! but i *really* like your white MD and 360 artwork - very cool!

IDChappy :- The only problem playing with two guns is after about 5 mins your arms feel like there gonna fall off Shock

haha yes very true, this is what worries me about Nintendo's new console.

I still play Samba De Amiga on my DC - i have third party maracas but i think i got some good ones. that game kills you, or maybe i am just not very fit?

oh and...

Riko wrote :- i really want an HD version of Crazy Taxi though with online score tables, that would be great.

but not one where they change the music and all the shops!:( i am never happy. i still want to play Crazy Taxi on my DC rather than my 360 at the moment...
Edited by RiKo on 20. June 2011 15:35

-SD-
Yeah, I have a Dreamcast connected via VGA to one of the monitors in my home office. The monitor is in TATE mode, I use it for Outlook 2011, iTunes and MSN Messenger for work related business, it has nothing at all to do with playing DC shmups..... Headbang

I'd like to get some of the fighting games back but I'm sure that after 3rd Strike: Online Edition, Capcom will release Alpha 3 and Power Stone 1&2 for PSN/XBLA. I'm also hoping they'll re-release Vampire Chronicles or bring us a totally new Darkstalkers game.

So yeah, I use it to play the fantastic Under Defeat, Psyvariar2, Exelica, Radirgy etc. when I'm bored of doing work.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO‚ÄĘGEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

Loris Biaggi
On my good old 4:3 crt TV i have my PAL Dreamcast always set-up, together with my NG-AES and my SuperNintendo.

I recenlty bought the Dreamcast arcade stick and used to play Ikaruga and Street Fighter 3 (the first, my favourite).
Few months ago I played a lot with The Typing of the Dead, with 2 keyboards and a friend... i recommend everyone to try it (you can find a keyboard on ebay for cheap)
------------- Neo Mini Box -----------
i65.tinypic.com/11udicm.gif

shion
RiKo wrote:
Congrats Tobalman you have good taste in consoles. what games have you got/are getting?

Thanks. I'm planning to get all the exclusives Ninja told me about in the chat yesterday... In the meantime, would any of you guys have some extra power cords and/or AV cables laying around to spare? My DC is coming with absolutely nothing (but it was a steal). Thanks..
Edited by shion on 20. June 2011 20:08

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Jump to Forum: