Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: bojan4o
Thread ID: 2385
Thread Info
There are 41 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 10044 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
top 10 movies ever?
Bullet
WOW... I ... I'm just... I'm lost...
The fact that Avatar shows up here several times, frankly terrifies me and in 3D no less!!!
Lets make Last of the Mohicans with blue cat people in space!!!
That has to be gold, cut and print. James Cameron hasn't made a good movies since Terminator and to be honest I find it hard to go back and watch as the stop motion animation just doesn't hold up.
I think you will all look back on that selection as the biggest mistake of your lives. You could kill a hooker or hobo and it would still be a better life choice. I'm not even sure I'm kidding at this point. LOL

As for my top ten and in no particular order.

1.Streets of Fire
2.Hard Boiled
3.Rock & Rule
4.Verses
5.Interstella 5555
6.Wings of Honneamise
7.Akira
8.The Dark Crystal
9.Blade Runner
10.The Prestige

I'm sure I'm missing something core to my being, but this'll have to do.
Also worth mentioning, the first Matrix movie and it's source material the Ghost in the Shell series, Ghost in the shell and GITS Innocence. 28 days later, both Appleseed movies, Sunshine, Chocolate, JCVD, Bloodsport, Any Lupin the 3rd movie, Jackie Chan Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin , etc etc etc, I could go on and on.

I did see Predators recently, it was good but not mind blowing. A good restart for the series tho.
Edited by Bullet on 19. July 2010 17:23
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Murikov
Bullet wrote:
I did see Predators recently, it was good but not mind blowing. A good restart for the series tho.

I saw Predators two days ago too and I'm still disappointed how boring and stereotypical the movie actually was. It had some good cinematic moments (the Russian guy was quite cool), but after all it didn't really grab me. It seems more like a cheap clone of the original "Arnie-Predator".

I hope Robert Rodriguez won't screw up "Machete" like that...

Anyway, my personal Top-10 movies are:

1. TaeGukGi (2004)
2. Monty Python's: The Holy Grail (1975)
3. Watch Out, We're Mad (1974)
4. Welcome to DongMakGol (2005)
5. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
6. Oldboy (2003)
7. Apocalypse Now Redux (1979)
8. Terminator 2 (1991)
9. Starship Troopers (1997)
10. Pink Floyd: The Wall (1982)
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

bojan4o
yea i forgot about starship troopers the firsdt one was the best one the second and the third one were uhmm but still they were good but not good as the first one and
my favorite movie now must be dust 2001 you must see it
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Bullet
Murikov wrote:
Bullet wrote:

I saw Predators two days ago too and I'm still disappointed how boring and stereotypical the movie actually was. It had some good cinematic moments (the Russian guy was quite cool), but after all it didn't really grab me. It seems more like a cheap clone of the original "Arnie-Predator".

I hope Robert Rodriguez won't screw up "Machete" like that...

I went in expecting Predators to suck, so anything better than suck is good lol

The original Watership Down and Network also deserve a mention.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

cthulhu
Okay, my top 10 favorite movies ever are:

- Evil Dead Trilogy (sorry, I consider this one long movie).
- Mars Attacks!
- Videodrome.
- Night of the Living Dead/ Dawn of the Dead/ Day of the Dead (sorry, couldn't choose).
- El Dia de la Bestia.
- The Empire Strikes Back.
- E tu vivrai nel terrore - L'aldilà (The Beyond).
- Dellamorte Dellamore.
- Battle Royale.
- Dark City.

Movies that came extremely close are:
The Big Lebowski, The Dark Crystal, Uzumaki, Gremlins 2, Zombi 2, Blade Runner and finally Ring (original Japanese version!!!).
Many many more to choose from...pretty impossible to list them all...
Edited by cthulhu on 20. July 2010 12:14
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
My favourite film:

Bullet in the Head
Hong Kong director John Woo's greatest work in my opinion although for some reason it did badly at the Hong Kong box office. This epic film follows the fortunes of three young men who are close friends living in Hong Kong. Events force them to leave the city and they go to Saigon to seek their fortune and get caught up in the turmoil of the Vietnam war. Although the film has many superb action scenes this is not some mindless action film. With a gripping story, superb cast and a memorable soundtrack I can't recommend this film enough.

GREAT GREAT CHOICE...
there Merlin! I watched this film when it came out and I too thought it was pretty amazing. if you keep Johnny Woo 'in' Hong Kong, he makes pretty damn good films. All his old films are pretty much masterpieces (Hard Boiled, The Killer etc).

ONE OF...
my all time favourite film directors has to be Johhny To. His films are quite similar to John Woo's in ways, but tend to be 'cooler' and less action packed. If you haven't heard of, or seen ANY Jonny To films, then what can I say?? I HIGHLY recommend... pretty much ALL of his movies. They're fantastic.

To be honest, doing a TOP TEN movies is pretty hard going - for me, I'd probably have to do a Western Cinema top-ten and an Asian Cinema top ten. Truth be told: Asian cinema is years ahead of Hollywood etc. They just don't have the budget or 'big names' (as such) - thus the films usually turn out to be <insert loads of positive words here>. Yep... that good, whether it's Thai, HK, Jap, Korean - they're usually brimming with ingenuity and great storylines. Hollywood (miramax anyone?) usually pick up the licenses and rights down the line and butcher the originals. The list is getting endless! (Don't start me on this or we'll be here all week!)

SO...
a top-ten eh? I'll give my Hollywood list a go as it's pretty much the complete opposite of my Asian cinema film tastes. I love and rate exceptional films, however, my top-ten is all about being selfish. I always give myself a desert island scenario for 'real answers' Grin

In no particular order:

Robocop
Predator
Jurassic Park
Hard Target (that's right!)
Enter The Dragon
RoadHouse (uh huh! Wade Garrett ftw bitches!!)
The Crow
Lethal Weapon
Die Hard
Batman: The Movie

AND... you can pretty much swap out: Spiderman2 and OngBak with any of the above too Wink

Cool ass thread btw... dunno how I ever missed it! Shrug

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

NeoGeoNinja
Bullet wrote:
WOW... I ... I'm just... I'm lost...
The fact that Avatar shows up here several times, frankly terrifies me and in 3D no less!!!
Lets make Last of the Mohicans with blue cat people in space!!!
That has to be gold, cut and print. James Cameron hasn't made a good movies since Terminator and to be honest I find it hard to go back and watch as the stop motion animation just doesn't hold up.
I think you will all look back on that selection as the biggest mistake of your lives. You could kill a hooker or hobo and it would still be a better life choice. I'm not even sure I'm kidding at this point. LOL.

ERRR...
missed this before BUT you echo my sentiments entirely! Avatar was average... and forgettable. That's it. Oh yeah, it looked quite pretty though - even though 3D gave me a migraine! And, yeah, it was a around 3hrs+ in length. Ridiculous!

And no. James Cameron hasn't made a good film since T2 imo... and that's NEARLY a whole 2 decades ago!

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

SteveDave
My personal top 10...

1. The Godfather pt. II
2. Psycho
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. Akira
6. The Salton Sea
7. WALL-E
8. Caddyshack
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. King of New York
img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

Powerwave
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
[quote]merlin wrote:
My favourite film:

In no particular order:

Robocop
Predator
Jurassic Park
Hard Target (that's right!)
Enter The Dragon
RoadHouse (uh huh! Wade Garrett ftw bitches!!)
The Crow
Lethal Weapon
Die Hard
Batman: The Movie

AND... you can pretty much swap out: Spiderman2 and OngBak with any of the above too Wink

Cool ass thread btw... dunno how I ever missed it! Shrug

Ninja

hey ninja or merlin (whos ever list this is). this is a good list I am very interested as to which batman film you speak of 1989 or the 60's one batman 1989 is my fave film of all time

jack nickolson over heith ledger any day of the week.

enter the dragon: best martial arts movie ever

robocop another fave film of mine. interestingly the director and film makers never watched terminator before making robocop.

i watched robocop last night actualy i just love it so much it gives me gose bumps. i know ever line i can just speak along with the film...... 'ide buy that for a dollar' Smile

one of my favourite comics of all time is robocop vs. terminator by frank miller it was going to be made into a film but unfortunately never saw light of day.
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

merlin
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
GREAT GREAT CHOICE...
there Merlin! I watched this film when it came out and I too thought it was pretty amazing. if you keep Johnny Woo 'in' Hong Kong, he makes pretty damn good films. All his old films are pretty much masterpieces (Hard Boiled, The Killer etc).

ONE OF...
my all time favourite film directors has to be Johhny To. His films are quite similar to John Woo's in ways, but tend to be 'cooler' and less action packed. If you haven't heard of, or seen ANY Jonny To films, then what can I say?? I HIGHLY recommend... pretty much ALL of his movies. They're fantastic.
Ninja

Great to see another fan of Bullet in the Head and John Woo here Ninja. If I ever mention Bullet in the Head to anyone very few people have heard of it. Now that you've reminded me I'm feeling the urge to watch it again. In addition to the ones you mentioned I also love the Better Tomorrow series including the final one directed by Tsui Hark. I've never actually seen any of Woo's US films.

I agree with you Johnny To is a great director too. I haven't watched that many of his films so far but I do own Election, Election 2, Fulltime Killers, PTU and Exiled on dvd. All great films but I especially liked the Election films. Going to have to check out some more of To's work in the future. One bit of random trivia I remember about Fulltime Killers is that near the end before the final confrontation between the rival assassins they talk about how they're both big fans of Metal Slug.

I'd definitely recommend, if you haven't already, checking out films by the director Ringo Lam who's one of my favourites. He directed Full Contact which also made it into my top 10. It features Chow Yun Fat, Simon Yam and Anthony Wong and I'd say it's one of the best HK action films I've seen. Also City on Fire which features the lead actors from the Killer, Chow Yun Fat and Danny Lee, is another great Ringo Lam film and was the inspiration for Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs.

I also love the Infernal Affairs Trilogy and One Night in Mongkok. I'll be interested to see your Asian top 10 Ninja.

LIFE_IN_2D
I'm a big, big movie buff. Narrowing it down to only 10 movies would be next to impossible to me. If I was given a more specific category I could probably do it.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 26. August 2010 02:25
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

candycab
So many good movies its hard to pick and rank 10. These spring to mind at the moment.

Brazil
Heat
Bladerunner
Tron
Taxi Driver
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Dirty Harry
The Day The Earth Stood Still [ original of course ]
Demolition Man
Forbidden Planet

I could probably whip out a top 50 list easilly since I love the old Horror and Scifi movies and any thing John Carpenter is god like Smileas are movies bye the Zucker Brothers like

Kentucky Fried movie
Airplane etc

For me the reality is there cant be one movie that is better than any other since they are all great for various reasons.
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

cthulhu
candycab wrote:
So many good movies its hard to pick and rank 10. These spring to mind at the moment.

Brazil
Heat
Bladerunner
Tron
Taxi Driver
Dirty Harry
Demolition Man
Forbidden Planet

I could probably whip out a top 50 list easilly since I love the old Horror and Scifi movies and any thing John Carpenter is god like Smileas are movies bye the Zucker Brothers like

Kentucky Fried movie
Airplane etc

For me the reality is there cant be one movie that is better than any other since they are all great for various reasons.

Great list, especially Brazil, The Good The Bad and The Ugly (best Western ever) and Blade Runner.

Carpenter is indeed awesome, especially Prince of Darkness and The Thing. Have you seen Cigarette Burns? Best Masters of Horror episode I've seen so far.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

candycab
cthulhu wrote:
candycab wrote:

Brazil
Heat
Bladerunner
Tron
Taxi Driver
Dirty Harry
Demolition Man
Forbidden Planet

Kentucky Fried movie
Airplane etc

Great list, especially Brazil, The Good The Bad and The Ugly (best Western ever) and Blade Runner.

Carpenter is indeed awesome, especially Prince of Darkness and The Thing. Have you seen Cigarette Burns? Best Masters of Horror episode I've seen so far.

Not sure if I have seen that episode or not. I never seem to be able to catch Masters of Horror on Showtime and usually stumble upon it on Chiller. Last one I watched had Robert England in it as a post apocalyptic vampire night club owner.

lol I usually watch Prince of Darkness a few times a year Smile Nothing beats Escape From NY though, which along with Big Trouble in Little China should probably be at the top of my list below Brazil of course Smile
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

neogeoeno
my favorite movie and tv show of all time is #1-(chips) the 80s popular police series #2-di caprio(titanic) #3- Rambo (the first blood) #4-(the mask) #5-(alf) #6-(commando) #7-Bruce lee #8-batman(66) #9-air wolf #10-knight riderClap

TF73
Some of my favourites are as follows:
Aliens
Interview with the Vampire
Platoon
Star Wars Ep.6
Born on the 4th of july
Akira
Brotherhood of the wolves
The Dark Knight
Requiem for a dream
Indy The last crusader

toriko
10 of my favourites movies

the one
the warriors
t2
the wanderers
the lost boys 1
kiss of the dragon
predator
commando
the untouchables

LIFE_IN_2D
Nice to see both "The Warriors" and "The Wanderers" make your list, toriko. "The Wanderers" is a true forgetten gem, love the final gang battle.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Neorebel
Very tough question... I'm a big movie buff. I'm just going to rattle off 10 without thinking too hard.

Taxi Driver (hi Life in 2d!)
Akira
8 1/2
The Shining
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Breathless
Lord of the Rings
Hara-Kiri
Martyrs

deewelch
My Top 5 Movies are: