Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: bojan4o
Thread ID: 2379
This Thread Is Sticky
This thread is sticky & may contain important information.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
everything about the movies
merlin
20000 Leagues is a classic. My favourite Kirk Douglas film though has got to be The Vikings. I've watched that one countless times since when I was really young. Never got bored of it. I love these historical epics.

http://www.youtub...0FF9JLIj1c
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

candycab
I don't read a lot of blogs etc like this but upon stumbling across this one I found it pretty informative and well laid out with just the right amount of info for the amount of time I would want to spend looking at crap I will probably never bother to watch.

I like that the budget and gross figures are present and the whole read is quick and easy Smile

I wasn't looking for the review but I think the review of the film on this page titled "Monster" was/is very accurate.

http://www.deadfi...d/page/25/
Edited by candycab on 22. February 2012 05:30
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Murikov
It's time for giving this thread a bump again.

As I'm still a big sucker for pseudo-historic war movies and flicks from East Asia, I have been highly excited to hear that the director of TaeGukGi, one of my favorite movies, was been working on a new war movie. With My Way the South Korean director tried to take the same path with TaeGukGi, but the end product is quite different. My Way is actually more an action film in the style of big Hollywood productions than a classic antiwar movie, which was a bit disappointing to me. But nonetheless the movie is absolutely OK. If you like epic WW2 battles, lots of explosions and bloody action, this flick might be something for you.

YouTube Video

Ever heard of the epic Riki-Oh manga series? If you are into the likes of series like 'Fist of the North Star', then you may know Riki-Oh. Otherwise you may have heard from the series in relation to the live-action adaption produced in Hong Kong, which caused a stir due to its high grade of violence. The movie is actually VERY faithful to the storyline of the manga which may look it like a extremely gory B-movie. OK, actually it's one. But if you read the manga before, you won't be disappointed.

YouTube Video

Another Hong Kong grenade is The God of Gamblers trilogy, of which the first and installment might be the best one. To see Chow Yun-Fat in action is always great, even if John Woo was not of the party that time.

YouTube Video

@Merlin:

I think I have never mentioned that I've finally watched A Better Tomorow 3 a while ago. Although I think it's no match for the first and second ABT, I think it was worth watching. Some action scenes like the the one with the tank were quite amusing. The flick somehow reminded me of Bullet in the Head, might be due to the Vietnam setting. Again thanks for recommending it!

candycab wrote:
William Forsythe role as the Sheriff in "The Devils Rejects" gets better every time I see it. He really pulls off the Badass role well, kinda like Stallone in "Get Carter" it just fits where they were in their carrers [ age look etc ] at the time they made the movies. I hope Rob Zombie continues to make more Horror flicks Smile What he has turned out so far is only second to Carpenter who will always the be the master of the genre imho.

I've recently watched that one and its prequel 'House of the 1000 corpses'. Quite some heavy stuff I must say, Rob Zombie sure knows how to disturb the viewers. The Superbeasto animation flick on the other hand was pretty weak to my taste, nothing groundbreaking.

The Halloween remake on the then again was surprisingly good, had a good soundtrack too.
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

neoman
watch the avengers Yesterday awesome film, still prefer Thor over this.

RiKo
I recently saw the Avengers too, really enjoyed it. I would agree about Thor which i also saw recently. I think Thor is better because it's more of a complete film where they build the character and then can tell his story in detail with some emotional depth. The Avengers is really about the ensemble and the action - although it is well done with some nice interactions and build-up. My fav bit was probably when Black widow tricked Loki. Also I didnt think the 3D (I saw the 3d version) worked that well in the fast action sequences, it seemed to work much better in the talking scenes when not so much is going on.

i really hate the Iron man films for some reason - they just seem crap to me esp the 2nd one but i thought Iron man was great in this film Smile
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
Always good to see this thread being bumped. Although we feel a bit differently about it I'm glad you enjoyed A Better Tomorrow 3 Murikov. I really like the story and as well as Chow Yun Fat I thought Anita Mui and Tony Leung Ka-Fai were both excellent. Interestingly the screenplay written by John Woo for Bullet in the Head was originally intended for ABT3. I regard ABT3 as being equally as good as the first two films.

The God of Gamblers is excellent I agree. That shoot out scene in the video you showed was one of the most memorable scenes. I have the first two on DVD but strangely I didn't actually know there was a third one! I'll have to track that one down along with Story of Ricky which I've heard good things about.

Have you ever seen 'Hong Kong 1941' Murikov? It's set during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong in WW2 and stars Chow Yun Fat. He won a best actor award for his performance. Not a film people mention very often but I think it's very good.

YouTube Video

I've mentioned Ringo Lam a few times before. One of the top Hong Kong directors in my opinion. I highly recommend people to check out as many of his films as possible. His best known film 'Full Contact' starring Chow Yun Fat, Anthony Wong and Simon Yam I'd say is one of the best Hong Kong action films. Lots of cool action scenes including the famous bullet cam. City on Fire is another masterpiece starring Chow Yun Fat as an undercover cop. Tarantino borrowed quite a bit from City on Fire when he made Reservoir Dogs. Prison on Fire, Prison on Fire 2, School on Fire, Full Alert and The Suspect are also well worth checking out. I just bought Wild Search and Burning Paradise which I haven't seen yet but they look very good. Some people even say Burning Paradise is his best film. Here's some more info about Ringo Lam:

http://www.hkfilm.../ringo.htm

YouTube Video

Yesterday I watched quite an interesting film 'Leptirica'. It's a 1973 vampire film from Yugoslavia. Not all that scary and a bit short but overall I was quite impressed. The vampire Sava Savanovic is preying on millers at a water mill near a village. A poor young man Strahinja is in love with Radojka but her father won't consent to a marriage. Strahinja decides to leave and seek his fortune elsewhere rather than see Rodojka marry another man but the villagers are desperately in need of a new miller and Strahinja agrees to take the job. Supposedly when the film was first shown in 1973 a man died of fright!

http://www.youtub...qGCRIjAd8g

Murikov
merlin wrote:
Interestingly the screenplay written by John Woo for Bullet in the Head was originally intended for ABT3.

This is indeed interesting, I first thought how coincidentally similar both movies are!

merlin wrote:
The God of Gamblers is excellent I agree. That shoot out scene in the video you showed was one of the most memorable scenes. I have the first two on DVD but strangely I didn't actually know there was a third one! I'll have to track that one down along with Story of Ricky which I've heard good things about.

Aw yeah, that shoot out scene was absolutely awesome, just like we know it from other Heroic Bloodshed films! Yummy My brother just ordered the Hong Kong DVD and I'm looking forward to watching it again.

And yes, there are indeed several God of Gambler movies, but in only two of them Chow Yut Fat is starring (I suppose these are those you already know). The others are spin-offs and prequels. So first of all there's God of Gamblers II, a side-story starring Andy Lau as Little Knife. That one was followed by God of Gamblers III - Back to Shanghai, the third spin-off follows the story of The Saint of Gamblers played by Stephen Chow. But that one is the most wicked of all movies, the plot revolvs around Stephen Chow travelling through time to the Shanghai of the 1930's. It may sound really weird, but in fact I found it the most entertaining of all spin-offs. And then there's God of Gamblers III: The Early Stage. That one is a prequel of the original God of Gamblers and it's about Ko-Chun's childhood / early days as gamblers. Haven't watched that one yet. By the way, I've just found out that there are even more spin-offs, the Wikipedia article may help you further.

merlin wrote:
I'll have to track that one down along with Story of Ricky which I've heard good things about.

I actually recommend to read the first chapters of the manga 'Riki-Oh' first before watching the live action version, some scenes may be more clear and less banal if you know the original background story. On some websites like Mangafox it can be read for free. Afterwards you will be surprised how faithful the Hong Kong producers were to the orignal. Thumbs Up

merlin wrote:
Have you ever seen 'Hong Kong 1941' Murikov? It's set during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong in WW2 and stars Chow Yun Fat. He won a best actor award for his performance. Not a film people mention very often but I think it's very good.

I actually tried to find a proper stream of the movie the last days, but my search wasn't successful. I actually might track this one down as it looks very promising, also from a historical point of view! Thanks for letting me know! Thumbs Up

merlin wrote:
I've mentioned Ringo Lam a few times before. One of the top Hong Kong directors in my opinion. I highly recommend people to check out as many of his films as possible. His best known film 'Full Contact' starring Chow Yun Fat, Anthony Wong and Simon Yam I'd say is one of the best Hong Kong action films. Lots of cool action scenes including the famous bullet cam. City on Fire is another masterpiece starring Chow Yun Fat as an undercover cop. Tarantino borrowed quite a bit from City on Fire when he made Reservoir Dogs. Prison on Fire, Prison on Fire 2, School on Fire, Full Alert and The Suspect are also well worth checking out. I just bought Wild Search and Burning Paradise which I haven't seen yet but they look very good. Some people even say Burning Paradise is his best film. Here's some more info about Ringo Lam

Oh yeah, so far I've watched Full Contact, City on Fire, Prison on Fire and The Adventurers, all splendid movies! Especially Full Contact was a blast in all aspects. Have to watch Burning Paradise too!

Speaking of Ringo Lam, do you already know Triangle (2007)? In fact it's a co-production of the genuises Johnny To, Ringo Lam and Tsui Hark together (it's also a hint to the title, Triangle). The movie covers all three styles of these directors and each protagonist may come from a individual movie made by one of these legendary directors. And it's definitely one of my favorite HK movies starring Simon Yam (I really wonder in how many movies he has taken part so far).

YouTube Video

DarakuTenshi
My favorite movie since I was a child is NeverEnding Story and it has been becoming my daughters favorite as well.

merlin
Thanks for the reply Murikov and especially for the detailed info about The God of Gamblers series. It's a pity Chow Yun-Fat is only in two of the films but I'd still like to check out the others in the series and the spin-offs.

People who mainly want to see Chow Yun-Fat in action scenes would probably be disappointed with Hong Kong 1941 but I have a feeling you would enjoy it.

Yes I have Triangle on dvd and I also really liked it. It's an interesting idea to have three different directors each one directing a third of the film and making their own decisions about how to advance the plot but it works well. Simon Yam is one of my favourite actors actually along with Anthony Wong and Chow Yun-Fat.

I've been meaning to watch The NeverEnding Story for quite some time Daraku but haven't got around to it yet. Seems like a lot of people love that film.

bojan4o
http://m.youtube....&gl=US
so i just stumbled upon this movie realese date august 15 2012 so about 2 months from now and the name er khan ger i think hmm
Bollywood movie
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

bojan4o
Oh and i just watched this movie based on the Chinese manhua(manga) Oriental Heroes (drgon tiger heroes) named dragon tiger gate good story and great fighting sequences donnie yen is in it and he did the fighting choreography
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

bojan4o
http://m.youtube....&gl=US

a youtube comment lol
This film didn't even have a budget anywhere close to that of Dragonball:Evolution, and The Legend of Chun-Li, and it still looks a hefty load times better. Quick, and painlessexecution. Straight to the point, and kickass fuckin action. Fuck off James Wong and Andrzej Bartkowiak
Edited by bojan4o on 02. July 2012 23:19

bojan4o
YouTube Video

great fighting scenes of donnie yen and wu jing

here is a scene of the fil the legend of the fist the return of chen zhen lol
YouTube Video

the latest movie of donnie yen wu xia or in usa Dragon

YouTube Video

Edited by bojan4o on 03. July 2012 01:32

merlin
This thread has been quiet for far too long. This is like the movie equivalent of the what
have you been listening to/playing threads. Anyone watched any good films recently?

@Bojan I've never actually watched any films starring Donnie Yen but I'd like to give them a try. Which would you say are his best films or your favourite ones?

Recently I've been enjoying The Planet of the Apes films. I bought a box set of the five original films from Amazon for a cheap price. It's been quite a few years since I watched these and it was great to see them again. Although the first film is I think the best one I'm also particularly keen on Beneath the Planet of the Apes and Conquest of Planet of the Apes.

I like the story in the second film with the heavily mutated humans living underground worshiping a nuclear bomb in their cathedral and the warlord General Ursus leading the gorilla army on a war of aggression into The Forbidden Zone. The story was good in the 4th film too which is set in the near future where apes are oppressed as slaves and, led by the chimpanzee Caesar, eventually revolt against their human masters. I like it when the apes go on the rampage and Caesar makes his speech at the end.

Is anyone else here a fan of the Apes films? I've still not seen the two more recent films from 2001 and 2011.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Murikov
Again another entry to this thread. Lately I've been looking out for obscure movies again, and I indeed found some forgotten cinematic pearls!

The first of them is the Soviet/Italian(!) co-production Afghan Breakdown that covers the story of a Russian platoon in 1988, during the Soviet-Afghan War. Unlike earlier Soviet films Afghan Breakdown doesn't portray the campaign in Afghanistan from a propagandistic view. Instead it shows brutally honest how hopeless and corrupt the military-political situation was at the end of the war, at a time where the end of the Soviet Union was already more than foreseeable. In fact this movie features on the most realisitic setting I've ever seen, at least from the military point of view. At some scenes real tracer bullets are being used, and even small technical details like airplane flares, being used to distract Stinger missiles, make this movie so special compared to typical Hollywood productions. Much better than The 9th Company or Rambo III (pls, seriously).

YouTube Video

Another absolutely fantastic anti-war movie is Blessed by Fire, an Argentinian production about the Falklands War in 1981/1982. The plot revolves around an Argentinian veteran who gets informed that his former comrade in arms fell into coma after severe depressions resulting from post traumatic stress disorder. The horrendous memories from back then make up the biggest part of the movie, and again the realism, atmosphere and even ambient noise are absolutely brilliant. As the audience you really share the cold, pain and fear that dominated that completely meaningless war involving some insignificant islands in the Atlantic Ocean. Highly recommended!

YouTube Video

Furthermore I enjoyed more Hong Kong flicks starring Chow-Yun-Fat like Rich and Famous (1987), Tragic Hero (1987) or Peace Hotel (1995). You really can't go wrong with HK thrillers, always a delight to watch!

@Merlin: I've watched Hong Kong 1941 a good while ago, in fact that may have been a year ago! It was pretty good, just as expected from a solid HK flick from the '80s! Definitely not a masterpiece, but solid in all terms of filmmaking and historical aspects. Thanks for the recommendation!

@Bojan: As for Donnie Yen flicks, I've watched Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen a while ago, but I didn't enjoyed it as much as other films starring him. The martial arts scenes may have been well made and choreographed, but the storyline was way too confusing and obscure. But still much better than most Western movies from nowadays!

I'm actually planning to watch Tiger Cage 2, one of the more popular film starring Donnie. It looks a lot like In the Line of Duty 4 which was way beyond awesome!

merlin
Always good to see this thread being revived. Interesting to read about some more obscure movies you've been discovering Murikov. Afghan Breakdown interests me in particular.

Good to hear you enjoyed Hong Kong 1941 Murikov. I still need to check out those other
3 Chow Yun-Fat films you mentioned.

RiKo has started a film review blog. There are quite a few reviews on there now and they are well written. I recommend taking a look.

http://richwatmov...press.com/

One film that has really impressed me recently is Django Unchained. A very entertaining
film with many memorable scenes and great performances from the main actors. I was
particularly impressed with Leonardo DiCaprio as Calvin Candie and Samuel L. Jackson as
Stephen his loyal house slave. Great soundtrack too. Tarantino's best film so far I'd say. If anyone here hasn't seen this yet definitely check it out.

YouTube Video

I also did very much enjoy the first part of The Hobbit and am really looking forward to The Desolation of Smaug. A beautiful looking film. Admittedly it is a bit over the top that they are turning this novel, which is much shorter than The Lord of the Rings, into 3 films.

I've been checking out a few Russian WW2 films recently. I watched the epic 7+ hours 5
part film Liberation directed by Yuri Ozerov. Seems to get mixed reviews but I was impressed by it. The battle scenes are on an epic scale with large numbers of tanks and lots of extras. The actors who play Churchill, Hitler, Stalin, Goebbels etc. really do look and sound very much like the people they are portraying. A small complaint I have is that every time an actor speaks English or German, Russian is spoken over the top of it (not dubbing). Subtitles would have been better. I really enjoyed this and would like to watch more of Ozerov's WW2 films but some of them don't seem to be available with English subtitles yet.

Another very good film I recommend is The Hot Snow which tells the story of a Red Army artillery battery holding out near the Volga river against a German offensive trying to relieve the besieged German forces in Stalingrad.

I bought Liberation and The Hot Snow on dvd but you can also watch them (with English
subtitles) on the Mosfilm Youtube channel.

http://www.youtub...cekvQeHS6o

http://www.youtub...3Qa6IYqZ9A

merlin
One film that really impressed me recently is Captain Philips which tells the true story of Somali pirates capturing a container ship, the Maersk Alabama, and taking the captain hostage. A very exciting film with excellent performances from Barkhad Abdi and Tom Hanks. I've watched it twice so far and really enjoyed it. Definitely check it out if you haven't already seen it.

YouTube Video

Reading about the facts of the case it seems to me that Abduwali Muse (the leader of the Somali pirates who is played in the film by Barkhad Abdi) was treated far too harshly. He was very young (in his late teens) and while I'm not excusing what he did he didn't actually kill anyone so how is it fair that he is sentenced to 33 years 9 months in prison in the US? Far too harsh if you ask me. Also he came onto a US warship of his own free will to negotiate.

From Wikipedia:

According to Ron Kuby, a lawyer who has considered offering his services to Muse:

I think in this particular case, there's a grave question as to whether America was in violation of principles of truce in warfare on the high seas. This man seemed to come onto the Bainbridge under a flag of truce to negotiate. He was then captured. There is a question whether he is lawfully in American custody and serious questions as to whether he can be prosecuted because of his age.

Other films I've really enjoyed since I last posted are the second Hobbit film and Ender's Game. Also I've been a bit obsessed lately with the 1956 film 'Moby Dick'. It had been a long time since I had seen that one. Gregory Peck gives a memorable performance as Captain Ahab who is obsessively searching for the white whale. Great film. I like this scene where he addresses his crew.

YouTube Video

If anyone has watched any films I've mentioned I'd be interested to hear what you think. I always feel a bit like I'm talking to myself in this thread!

Jump to Forum: