Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2368
Thread Info
There are 27 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9772 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
How does Metal Slug 4 fare up?
Its a classic! Definitely worth playing! Its a classic! Definitely worth playing! 31%[8 Votes]
Its very good, but certainly not the best Its very good, but certainly not the best 27%[7 Votes]
Its ok, but there are better Metal Slug games out there Its ok, but there are better Metal Slug games out there 31%[8 Votes]
Its the worst, not good at all... Its the worst, not good at all... 8%[2 Votes]
I've never tried this, but I'll play it soon! I've never tried this, but I'll play it soon! 4%[1 Vote]
Total Votes : 26
 Print Thread
Metal Slug 4 discussion
The eccentric cat
Welcome to this Game of the Week!

Metal Slug 4 is usually considered the black sheep of the series. Since this was outsourced to another company at the time of old SNK's fall. Korean group Mega Enterprise handled this, and whether they did a good job or not is up to the player to decide.

I think its decent, albeit a bit mediocre. Its not the best, but not the worst either. Hardcore Metal Slug fans should be able to enjoy this. ^^;

Metal Slug 4

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/ms4_cover_t2.jpg

Genre: Run and Gun
Players: 2
Size: 553
Released on: AES, MVS, Xbox, PSP, Wii, PC

Brief Description:

Metal Slug 4 is a run and gun video game for the Neo-Geo console/arcade platform created by SNK.Metal Slug 4 retains the same gameplay as previous titles, with the addition of some new enemies, bosses, weapons, several new vehicles and a new bonus combo system.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_75/mslug4title.png

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_75/mslug4intro.png

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_75/mslug4select.png

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_75/mslug4a.png

Reviews:

Metal Slug 4 review by Kazuya_UK

Metal Slug 4 review by Raiken

Videos:

YouTube Video

Highscore Challenge:

Here it is!

Good luck!

Past GOWT Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->

#36 Neo Drift Out -->

#37 Magical Drop 2 -->

#38 Top Hunter -->

#39 Savage Reign -->

#40 Metal Slug 2/X -->

#41 Alpha Mission 2 -->

#42 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->

#43 Art of Fighting 2 -->

#44 Super Sidekicks -->

#45 Sengoku 2 -->

#46 Metal Slug 3 -->

#47 Burning Fight -->

#48 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->

#49 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->

#50 King of Monsters 2 -->

#51 Samurai Shodown 2 -->

#52 World Heroes 2 -->

#53 Last Resort -->

#54 Rage of the Dragons -->

#55 League Bowling -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 09. March 2010 19:02
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Shiny
Shiny likes MS4 very muchly. It was one of the last AES games I bought and I never really understood the disproportionate hate it seems to get, I think it's a blast. Massively underrated.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Shiny
In other news, I'm wondering if GotW deserves it's own sub-section in the forum... That list is getting pretty big.

The eccentric cat
Hm... Maybe I'll just make a separate thread with the list, not unlike the HSC Hall of Fame. How does that sound? :3

Wonderboy
Count me in as one alienated. To me, anything after three (the purist in me wants to say after X) comes off as a shameless attempt to cash in on the franchise, ala Capcom's Street Fighter. This is something I find insulting to my intelligence.
Edited by Wonderboy on 02. March 2010 03:39

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
NeoStrayCat
That might work Cat, other than that, although MS4 was somewhat of a let-down and not going to its roots, at least it gave us some new additions, Preferably the images4.wikia.nocookie.net/metalslug/images/7/7c/2H.gif and more.
gamercards.exophase.com/33313.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Will
This Metal Slug has quite a variety of vehicles, especially ones you can commandeer from the enemy. However I find the forklift and the robot dog are not really good slugs. Whilst playing the part where you ride a truck and a motorbike, I feel pretty much restricted since there's you don't move around much and the prisoner drives for you.

I'm glad they've introduced the Button D for self destruction of the slug, the Button A+B combo was getting on my nerves. As for the two new players, I don't particularly like Trevor, but Nadia's okay. The introduction of the new weapon the Dual Machineguns is superb even though it cannot shoot diagonally like the Heavy Machinegun can. The monkey transformation is a comical feature. Invincible Allen returns and is revealed to be an android having been killed in the first game, eaten twice by an orca in the next two games and blasted out of a plane in the third game. The music track I like the most in the game is the one in the third mission. It is very James Bond styled reminding me of "Die Another Day".

The biggest flaw I'd say the game has, is that there are too many recurring characters, especially the mummies and zombies which seem to cramp the hi-cyber-tech theme the game has. But since the game is here this week, I think I'll give it a good chance and playthrough for the HSC.

STE C
I agree with Shiny on this one, since getting the game last year on MVS I find myself coming back to it a lot , dare I say that I would rather play this than the overlong and now tedious MS3 which is now my least fave MS. I suppose with MS1 been such a near perfect game the sequels were always gonna struggle to top it.

MS4 has plenty going for it especially the later levels ( although the first with the airship is cool). Not that keen on new characters but they dont really bother me to be honest. I think its a game that is unfairly treated as the people who do give it a chance like myself and Shiny really rate it so give it some love and time you may get a surprise. For instance I really like the big robot cool graphics and final boss as well, for a game that is technically not SNK the quality is very good overall.

Now give us MS5 GOTW that's my joint fave with MS1. Ive voted MS4 really good but not best its well worth picking up although I dread to think how much the AES cart costs, just whilst we are on the subject the MS4 it is not a cart you see every day on ebay , it usually goes for the 40+ mark I think mine was about 40 but it does tend to go for higher. In fact its probably less common than even MS5.
Edited by STE C on 02. March 2010 18:44

Shiny
The eccentric cat wrote:
Hm... Maybe I'll just make a separate thread with the list, not unlike the HSC Hall of Fame. How does that sound? :3

Not a bad idea at all. I may still talk to Kaz about a dedicated section though, eventually we're gonna end up with a shedload of threads, I think it's a good idea to collect them all in one place rather than dotted around... But then not all of my ideas are good. Smile

OHA
Actually, what I like in MS4 (since it was been given a down by most fans) is the METALISH SYSTEM. Accumulating variety of colored medals which will be given additional points to your current score. But of course, if you die, all your medals will diminish smoothly as well as your prisoners.

Although I like this rather than METAL SLUG 5 because even it is the worst sequel of the game, still I find more attractive playing it because of the storyline it potrays on the game not like MS5 (which is a bit blant to follow) don't you agree?

But as a METAL SLUG FANATIC, I like all the games they release from its past generations to its new titles >.<
Edited by OHA on 02. March 2010 18:50
i153.photobucket.com/albums/s215/ccsbd/happiness.jpg

http://bloomingdays.frozen-wings.net/
merlin
I voted 'it's a classic'. Personally I love every one of the Neo Geo slug games. I'm going to have to agree with the others that Metal Slug 4 is underrated. A very enjoyable game although for me one of the more challenging games in the series. I quite like Trevor and Nadia and also the new slugs are pretty cool especially the Metal Crow.

Seems like some people were unhappy about the recycled graphics used in this game but personally that doesn't bother me at all. Despite what I've said I still think ultimately this isn't quite as good as the rest of the Neo Geo slugs but that doesn't mean it isn't a great game because it is.

OHA
merlin wrote:
I voted 'it's a classic'. Personally I love every one of the Neo Geo slug games. I'm going to have to agree with the others that Metal Slug 4 is underrated. A very enjoyable game although for me one of the more challenging games in the series. I quite like Trevor and Nadia and also the new slugs are pretty cool especially the Metal Crow.

Seems like some people were unhappy about the recycled graphics used in this game but personally that doesn't bother me at all. Despite what I've said I still think ultimately this isn't quite as good as the rest of the Neo Geo slugs but that doesn't mean it isn't a great game because it is.

Yes you got that right, merlin and I would like to agree on what you think about METAL SLUG 4. It's far more better than METAL SLUG 5 and personally I like METAL SLUG 4 because it gave a new environment on having 2 new characters on the roster and cameo roles. This was the first time on having 6 main characters on the game (counting TARMA and ERI even their were not able to play) that makes this game interesting to pursue.

Yes and it was a challenge. One thing to challenge yourself is collecting several medals to achieve HIGHSCORE points in addition to your recaptured prisoners and others in the end. I personally like METAL SLUG 4 so much because of new artworks and animations portray on the game as well >.<
i153.photobucket.com/albums/s215/ccsbd/happiness.jpg

http://bloomingdays.frozen-wings.net/
Wonderboy
Since we're talking about character rosters now, can someone please explain the purpose of them? I haven't noticed a difference in the MSs i've played. Is it simply one of those extra features SNK was/is famous for?

Raiken
The first game I ever reviewed for NG4L. I particularly like the soundtrack Noise Factory created for the game and Nadia is still my fave MS character to this day(it'd be nice if she ever appeared again).
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

Wonderboy
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
Since we're talking about character rosters now, can someone please explain the purpose of them? I haven't noticed a difference in the MSs i've played. Is it simply one of those extra features SNK was/is famous for?

Anyone? Smile

The eccentric cat
I'm not sure, maybe Mega Enterprises wanted a change? Though Trevor is korean, so...

Raiken
It is odd how this is the only game in the series to feature Nadia and Trevor. We eventually got the Ikari warriors in 6 though.
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

HexElf
This game is underrated as hell and IMO superior to at least MS5 and probably MS6 too. Why? Because this game is absolutely insane! Where later Metal Slugs seemed to slow down and focus on larger, almost mid-boss-like enemies, this one instead throws armies of the entire MS beastiary at you. It's frantic, furious and fun, just it should be! Sure the graphics are a bit on the low end compared to the masterpiece MS3 and the the two new characters manage to look bland on-screen - making it harder to tell them apart than the original four - but it makes up for by giving us a double doze of everything that made the prequels great. And who can resist the charm of the all mighty dual machine gun and the ability to try out some of the enemy vehciles?
Edited by HexElf on 11. March 2010 22:16
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
LIFE_IN_2D
I don't hate MS4, but it's probably my least favorite out of the series. I'm a big fan of Tarma and was disappointed that they replaced him. This game is not bad, but it seems to have repetitive enemies.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Keita-Kata
Metal Slug 4 is a ok game to me, I like the soundtrack to the game, but I liked other Metal Slug games better than MS4. I still play the game, but it's not my favorite Metal Slug game in the series.
i39.tinypic.com/16as66f.jpg

PSN: KeitaKata and BlackWings83

Jump to Forum: