Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Bullet
Thread ID: 2353
Thread Info
There are 757 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 65535 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
King of Fighters XIII
NeoGeoNinja
THESE UPDATES...
relating to the inclusion of NESTS Kyo (my fave!) and Mr Karate is beyond music to my ears.

Epic stuff. Really. I just cannot wait.

I'm no sucker for DLC, but SNKP definitely played me this time.

As for Mr Karate being a lazy option (Murikov)? perhaps you're right, but I just hope they perhaps do something different with is moves etc. We'll see I guess...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
I thought Kyo's NESTS outfit was already one of his alts... but new moves Kyo and Mr. Karate are not only cool additions, but they're probably some of the cheapest additions SNK could have made since they don't have to draw anywhere near as many new frames of animation as they would for a different character.

At this point in the story isn't Ryo Mr. Karate yet? I'd think the KOF storyline is about to the same point that Mark of the Wolves and Buriki One took place.

marktheshark
Damnit, the DLC characters better not be overpriced, but knowing a lot of companies these days, the DLC would no doubt be $4 or more per character. Plus, why are 3 out of the 5 characters just alternate versions (probably same movelists) of already existing characters? Just killed any excitement that I had for this game (particularly the former).
Edited by marktheshark on 11. September 2011 02:11

LIFE_IN_2D
I really hope Mr. Karate has his SVC bad-ass-ness : E.g. Triple Haou Shikou Ken as a regular super and the "invisible" Ko'ou Ken.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 11. September 2011 17:20
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Magus12000BC
I actually got to play this at Otakon last month. This is most certainly a step up from KOF 12 by far. There was even a group of us that played a bit through story mode when of the the 360's only had one working stick on it for awhile. But I thought that the story mode was poorly implemented. It basically holds your hand by giving you free stock boosts whenever you perform certain functions. For example, you could perform three rolls when the game tells you to and it will give you 50% of one stock for free. Thankfully, it didn't do that for the mid-boss fight with Billy and the two Saiki fights. But it was still annoying and I have no idea if they'll be an option to turn it off.

But playing with other people, my main team quickly became Andy, Leona, and Billy. But since they made Billy so awkward in this game, he takes quite a bit to get the hang of as opposed to his '98 and '02 incarnations. So from time to time, I'd sub him out for Athena or Joe. But from what I've played overall, the combo system in 13 is a huge step up from 12 which tried to almost completely throw back to the '95 system. It plays a lot like a cross between 3rd strike and '02 now except it's still fairly accessible for beginners to pick up as well after some practice.

Overall, this is a very good title to pick up and well worth the wait. I had a blast playing this game. My only complaint is that we were playing the 360 version of the game and as such, the load times were horrid between matches. If you have a PS3, pick up that version.

EDIT: I have not read through this thread. So if I basically said absolutely nothing that you guys didn't already know, well...sorry.
Edited by Magus12000BC on 17. September 2011 00:44

gray117
The DLC characters are trash. Pretty much expected however so can't get too worked up about it. A shame though, leaves slightly bad taste to the experience. I suppose they could end up filling this out a little better, but given how long this port took, I wouldn't expect the DLC to extend beyond release announcements.

Similarly box + promo art could do with being a bit more tasteful - but nothing to get worked up about.

New backgrounds are pretty damn good though.

I don't like the the slight scale mismatch between backgrounds and characters, but somehow it seems less than something like the 2002 UM double res backgrounds. However, whilst I enjoy a bit of pixel edge I always felt it was a bit of a shame the characters aren't 1:1 720p res... I feel they could have won over a few [wannabe] critics if the character art was a touch crisper [and still un-aliased ofc]

... I'd be surprised if their source assets weren't double what they end up using in game - given how long they took to draw, you'd have thought they'd given themselves that safety net.... but then maybe they didn't, and redoing them upscaled was obviously too big an investment...
Edited by gray117 on 17. September 2011 00:59

reelmojo
Magus, I don't think you reiterated anything that had already been said. And even if you had, it's always great to read someone's first hand impressions of a game. Especially one that isn't out yet. The fact that I haven't read one negative impression of the game (from someone who has actually played it) is helping to keep me excited to get my hands on it.

NeoGeoNinja
gray117 wrote:
The DLC characters are trash. Pretty much expected however so can't get too worked up about it. A shame though, leaves slightly bad taste to the experience. I suppose they could end up filling this out a little better, but given how long this port took, I wouldn't expect the DLC to extend beyond release announcements.

Similarly box + promo art could do with being a bit more tasteful - but nothing to get worked up about.

New backgrounds are pretty damn good though.

I don't like the the slight scale mismatch between backgrounds and characters, but somehow it seems less than something like the 2002 UM double res backgrounds. However, whilst I enjoy a bit of pixel edge I always felt it was a bit of a shame the characters aren't 1:1 720p res... I feel they could have won over a few [wannabe] critics if the character art was a touch crisper [and still un-aliased ofc]

... I'd be surprised if their source assets weren't double what they end up using in game - given how long they took to draw, you'd have thought they'd given themselves that safety net.... but then maybe they didn't, and redoing them upscaled was obviously too big an investment...

AND NOT ONE MENTION...
of 'Tera Gold' or cheap 'Nike Trainers' in that whole post.

I'm confused? Hmm

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
Game Informer has a 22 minute long video up showing off the latest build of the console version. So... if you actually need more information to make a decision about buying this game, there you go.

EDIT: Okay, now that I watched the video I can say two interesting things about it. The first is that they mention many times that they are really focusing on online play. The second is that color edit mode is in! I never would have expected in 2011 to have color edit mode return.
Edited by reelmojo on 19. September 2011 00:28

reelmojo
New release date: November 22nd.

That sucks, but they're using the extra time to polish the game. In other words, you know how games always release with bugs these days and then developers patch them later? Well, that shouldn't happen with KOFXIII. So I guess it's overall good news, but I still don't like waiting an extra month!

Murikov
reelmojo wrote:
New release date: November 22nd.

That sucks, but they're using the extra time to polish the game. In other words, you know how games always release with bugs these days and then developers patch them later? Well, that shouldn't happen with KOFXIII. So I guess it's overall good news, but I still don't like waiting an extra month!

Oh noes, for me this means waiting until beginning December at the earliest. At least it's good to now that SNKP/Atlus/RSG need the time to brush up the game itself and that we get one great piece of software around holidays.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

hitorkori
lol my pre order says 9 days still hell i can wait a month more if its better than what i already saw Joe

Kazuya_UK
Crap... ah well, if it genuinely benefits the release, that's fine by me.

Where are you guys pre-ordering it? I was gonna go with Play-Asia again but it says it's not available in my territory. Any advice? (I'd like the one with the soundtracks too really) Would especially appreciate it from any UK people Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
NeoStrayCat
Shame its delayed another month, oh well, still more other games to play, on the other hand, IDK if there's stores in the UK/EU area or even online having pre-orders for KOF XIII, good thing I can get it here in the US, of course.
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Murikov
Kazuya_UK wrote:
Crap... ah well, if it genuinely benefits the release, that's fine by me.

Where are you guys pre-ordering it? I was gonna go with Play-Asia again but it says it's not available in my territory. Any advice? (I'd like the one with the soundtracks too really) Would especially appreciate it from any UK people Smile

Kaz

Hey Kaz, I pre-ordered my NTSC-US copy at Play-Asia and it seems they don't have any problems with shipping to Switzerland. Except for the US stores of Amazon and Gamestop I don't know any other online shops that offer the NTSC-US version yet.

But if you pre-order the PAL version of KoF XIII you will get the same Bonus CD's like these from Atlus (it's been recently confirmed by RSG) . Furthermore there's a A3 poster and a reversible box cover art included in the pre-order bundle. I would suggest Amazon.co.uk for pre-ordering this one.

img24.imageshack.us/img24/3742/snkkofxiiipreorderbonus.png
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

Kazuya_UK
Play Asia won't ship it to the UK it seems. Thanks for the link I think I'll be pre-ordering the UK version then this time Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Murikov
SNKP released two videos showing the Mission mode and Kyo's classic outfit (not to be confused with the NEST Kyo coming as DLC).

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

reelmojo
New console version match footage.

Note, that's being played on a debug console which apparently adds in extra loading time. The people who played an earlier version of the game at Evo reported load times identical to KOFXII, which is what we should expect in the final version.

Damn, Vice looks awesome! And hopefully Foxy showing up in Kula's NeoMAX is the first step toward her being playable in KOFXIV.

reelmojo
Console version changes part 1.

SNKP is releasing a list of changes made to the console version. If you've been paying very close attention to the arcade version this will mean more to you. If not, it's a cheap excuse to watch another video of this gorgeous game!

Zakatek
Online match video from IGN.

http://uk.ign.com...ne-footage

Jump to Forum: