Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: deadpixels
Thread ID: 234
Thread Info
There are 7 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2883 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Finnicky MVS buttons and stick..
deadpixels
Alright, posting a question I think I pretty much know the answer to, but would like to hear from other cab owners to get some advice.

I've had my big red for about a year now, and since I got it periodically my second player panel would act up, the A button would work just as fine as always, but buttons B,C, and D would just cease working. A little fooling with the connection to the miscroswitches generally fixed the issue for a period, but sometimes the period creeps up again. Now, the microswitches were installed late last summer, so are pretty new, and the buttons are sanwa and in new shape. Can anyone think of a reason why A would still function, while the rest on the panel fail, I find it hard to believe the problem would be all three connections going wonky, and believe that it's all linked to one issue affecting that side of the CP. Any help there would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the second player stick has some difficulty detecting up-left motions, and oftentimes you have to put some muscle into the motion to get it to function otherwise your fighter usually just jumps straight into the air. I'm just curious as to whether I should swap out the stick, or replace the bottom right microswitch, as it's pretty tarnished.

Help me out here, otherwise I'm stucking running my AES pads out of my cab, and that's just not as fun. Grin

Thanks ahead of time.

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5727026
candycab
Sounds like you may be having a ground issue on the buttons, which could easilly explain why some work well when others dont. [ though cherry switches usually dont last their rated lifespan so failure is pretty common ] As for the stck depending on who makes it ? [ most Happ sticks are pretty junky with weak springs or plastic parts that wearout in record time ] the plastic part that hits the switches could be loosening due to a worn out spring therefore not supplying the needed pressure to activate the switch. Fairly common easy to fix with new spring/stick or even expanding the spring, which wont last long but can get you bye.

Wink

I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

deadpixels
They're happ bat top sticks. The switches are cherries also. Any advice on how to detect or solve the ground issue? Thanks again.

candycab
Well I think like any other possible wiring issue the only way to really go about it is to start at what you think is the problem and work backwards. I hate wiring .. its just no fun to do Pfft but ya gotta have it Grin

I had it explained to me sort of like plumbing water goes in one end and should be able to come out the other, simple and basic and so far its served me pretty well Wink Im no wiring guru bye any means this just the way I would approach it.

When it comes to Jamma Harnesses its hard to beat the ones "The Real Bob Roberts sells" stay away from the Happ rigs they are junk, if you compare the two it will probably make you curse Happ LOL

Breakout the volt/ohm meter and start testing from the switches back and look hard at everyting all the way into the harness, take youre time and be thorough if theres a problem there I'm sure you will find it.

If I can think of anything else I will bring it up Wink
Edited by candycab on 07. March 2007 02:16
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

deadpixels
Yeah, figured I'd have to retrace everything. Thankfully the problem only happens every so often, so I'll just let it irritate me a little more before I finally crack and start tracing the harness. Thanks again for all the help. However, I think switching out the joystick is probably going to be an immediate project. One odd thing though, I noticed a wire running from the screw at the base of my motherboard to the wood of the cabinet, all the way up to the screw attached to the base of one of my joysticks. Anything I should worry about when unscrewing my joystick and installing the new one?
Edited by deadpixels on 07. March 2007 04:35

candycab
Is the wire connected to anything electronic on either end ?

I suppose it could have been used as a ground wire bye a past owner or something of that nature and whoever the last owner was is clueless and sort of made up a place to put it Grin Though wny anyone would try to ground to a stick vs the monitor chasis is beyond me Smile

On any MVS board the only place wires are ever connected is to a plug of some type, so no it wouldnt belong to anything concerning a Neo board.

People do strange things with cabs when they are clueless Wink

Glad to help bye the way Grin
Edited by candycab on 07. March 2007 06:21

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

deadpixels
As far as I can tell it's two wires being ran together with hoops/clips at the end of each, and they both (though I havent traced them, but without any other logical answer) just run from the screw on the base of the motherboard, to the screw on the joystick. My guess was that it was a ground too, but in my limited experience with cabinet wiring that's my first time hearing of someone grounding the metal on a joystick. :|

Funny enough, shortly after buying my cab it became a momentary flamethrower when I discovered that the PSU had sustained some damage in his care, and the base of the power cord, was not connected to the PSU, but literally sitting IN it. The outer housing was damaged and the base of the PSU was sitting about a half an inch inside the unit, the weight causing all sorts of bits and pieces to touch eachother that shouldnt. After popping the cab open to replace the PSU, I noticed he actually had two power supplies piggybacked with soldered connections. The piggybacked PSU was only used to provide power to the hard on/off switch on the CP. The prior owner was solder crazy, even some of the old button's microswitches were soldered o the wiring, instead of simply attached with female connectors.

Thankfully, everything but the joystick problem, which is tolerable, and the occasional freak out of buttons has been taken care of. This guy definitely left me with work to do though. Oh well, experience counts I suppose.

Thanks again Candycab!

Jump to Forum: