Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2338
Thread Info
There are 26 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9225 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
What do you think of Rage of the Dragons?
Perfect! An underrated gem! Perfect! An underrated gem! 28%[5 Votes]
Great! But certainly not the best Great! But certainly not the best 33%[6 Votes]
Its good, but still needs more work Its good, but still needs more work 17%[3 Votes]
Pretty bad, not worth it... Pretty bad, not worth it... 0%[0 Votes]
Haven't played it, but I'll try it! Haven't played it, but I'll try it! 22%[4 Votes]
Total Votes : 18
 Print Thread
Rage of the Dragons discussion
The eccentric cat
Game of the Week is here! (and our first Playmore game!)

Rage of the Dragons was originally supposed to be the sequel to the NeoGeo fighting game, Double Dragon. But, Evoga (the developer) couldn't get the rights to the characters. So instead, it became an homage of sorts.

Either way, its a very fun game! Albeit, a bit broken to some. I still recommend playing it! ^^

Rage of the Dragons

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/rage_of_the_dragons_cover_t2.jpg

Genre: Fighting
Players: 2
Size: 564
Released on: AES, MVS, Dreamcast

Brief Description:

Rage of the Dragons is a 2002 tag team head-to-head fighting game released for the Neo Geo hardware by Playmore (currently SNK Playmore). The game was co-developed by the Mexican team Evoga and the Japanese company Noise Factory. Evoga worked on the initial planning and designing, while Noise Factory worked on the final graphics, sounds and programming. Rage of the Dragons features a tag team system, in which the player takes control of two characters and can switch between one or the other during gameplay. The character who is not being controlled will slowly recovers part of his or her energy while the other is fighting. The player can perform special combos in which both characters attack an opponent at the same time for added damage.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_105/rotdtitle.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_105/rotdfightintro.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_105/rotdselect.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_105/rotdhowtoplay.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_105/rotdshot1.jpg

Reviews:

Rage of the Dragons review by Kazuya_UK

Rage of the Dragons review by Raiken

Videos:

YouTube Video

Highscore Challenge:

Here it is!

Good luck!

Past GOWT Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->

#36 Neo Drift Out -->

#37 Magical Drop 2 -->

#38 Top Hunter -->

#39 Savage Reign -->

#40 Metal Slug 2/X -->

#41 Alpha Mission 2 -->

#42 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->

#43 Art of Fighting 2 -->

#44 Super Sidekicks -->

#45 Sengoku 2 -->

#46 Metal Slug 3 -->

#47 Burning Fight -->

#48 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->

#49 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->

#50 King of Monsters 2 -->

#51 Samurai Shodown 2 -->

#52 World Heroes 2 -->

#53 Last Resort -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 23. February 2010 00:51
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Shiny
I really like RotD. I think a lot of people are put off by the newbie slaughtering lack of a learning curve... Put the time in and it's a great game with something distinctly lacking in modern fighters, a challenge.

Oh, and this game is my main reason for hating that FG douchebag F.Yagami. His "review" of this game makes me wanna kick him in the teeth. Few reviews have that effect on me.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

NeoStrayCat
RotD has that sort of feeling when you get in the game, although this is another Tag Based Game (though not somewhat similar to Kizuna Encounter), it gets its share of moments. + SBS is in there (Begin credit feed), and some of them appeared as Secret Characters in Matrimeele.
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
RiKo
I have never played this, how does it compare to Matrimelle? cos i love that Smile I wateched the video and its looks very good but not amazing. I am not too keen on Tag fighters, actually the only one i like is KOF, i would like to try this game sometime. I wish it was cheaper!
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Basashi King
yeah, im interested too riko but it costs an arm and a testicle! very keen on hearing more about this one from those who know. it looks good!

STE C
Oh interesting choice for GOTW a highly regarded but seldom mentioned fighter. If this game came out in the late 90s it would probably be more familiar to fighting fans as its a solid game.

Slick and stylish are words that spring to mind and bloody hard, maybe a hardcore fighting fans baby. Nice but unremarkable graphics some backgrounds look great yet others are drab , as for the character design I would say quality is good like Jones the Jim Kelly in Game Of Death catsuit ripoff, how can you not love that great stuff.

Maybe im a wimp I play this on a very easy difficulty setting and still cant beat Johan, I know I have said this countless times but like Last Resort last week I really need to invest more time in it as it has a very cool vibe about it. Very expensive on MVS ( I got mine on multicart thankfully) and horribly expensive on AES Ive heard, which is a shame as a lot of people may only get to experience it on emulation.
Edited by STE C on 15. February 2010 19:09

Powerwave
i have cheated a bit i have this game on a multi-cart and didnt pay an arm and a testicle to play it.

firstly i am a big big matrimelle fan it was my fave neo fighter for a while, but rage of the dragons just isnt as good for me.

dont get me wrong it has some great ideas they have brought to the fighting game universe. but i dont think the characters are as good as matrimelle and theres something aboutthis game that dosnt click with me.

but never the less good effort. Thumbs Up
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

Wonderboy
I definitely have to try this one out Smile
Edited by Wonderboy on 15. February 2010 23:29

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
Raiken
Love this game. I have the MVS cart but sadly I still need to hook it up to my cab. It works on my AES system with a converter but the game still randomly crashes like it would on a 1-slot board. Fave character is definitely Lynn. In fact, I haven't used my avatar of her all that much so I think I'll switch back to it.
Edited by Raiken on 16. February 2010 02:13
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

Wonderboy
RotD certainly looks like it's pushing the system to its limits

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
merlin
Not really put a lot of time into this game yet but I do enjoy it. Some of the backgrounds look very good and the cast of characters are well designed. Lynn is probably my favourite so far. Music is very good in this game too with some catchy tunes. I struggle to beat Johann he must be one of the toughest Neo Geo bosses ever.

I like the avatar and sig Raiken. Looks very good.
Edited by merlin on 16. February 2010 13:01

GeeseTheDuck
One of my favorite non famous Neo Geo games.
I find it kinda strange that it was so overlooked,
probably because it was released so late in the Neo Geo's lifespan.
It had a lot of things going for it. Maybe if had gotten a console release...
Edited by GeeseTheDuck on 16. February 2010 18:56
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
phry
It's flawed but was one of the most fun games I played on the Neo and the first MVS cart that I owned too.

I could never beat Johann though lol. Most difficult Neo Geo boss ever imo. A pity really since I was quite good at the rest of it lol.

The eccentric cat
phry wrote:
I could never beat Johann though lol. Most difficult Neo Geo boss ever imo. A pity really since I was quite good at the rest of it lol.

Same, I could never beat Johann, not even cheap tactics seem to work. x_x
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

HexElf
Late to the party as usual...
Well, Rage of the Dragons is actually a very fun game that manages to implement a tag system without ever slowing the matches down. The character designs and special effects are absolutely lovely, and the gameplay is as tight as any KOF game. It does have some issues though mainly the sub-par sound quality (the soundtrack is good though!) and many moves that are pretty bland and animated as such as well. The AI is very aggressive but fair which makes it a blast to play but I kinda wish it ended with Abobo as the boss because he's hard but not too much so. Johann however would give guys like Igniz a run for his money as he's extremely cheap, even by SNK standards.

Oh yeah the english translation is pretty terrible too even for this system but at least the cut scenes look great. If they improved the voice overs and added some moves - mainly special throws which this game has very few of - then a port could become a lovely little game indeed.
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
HexElf
PS. I bought my AES copy of Matrimelee partly because it also features several cool ROTD characters! DS.
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
bojan4o
great game no doubt about that
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

peiper
i've just spent a couple of hours playing this game. I think it's amazing..one of the most fun fighting game i've ever played. Don't know about the replay value though....

Raiken
You could do some pretty damaging combos if you have all 3 super stocks and a barrier to juggle someone on. Although I think half the damage is red so you can tag out and recover a good deal of it if you can hold off your opponent long enough.
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

peiper
Does anyone have any tips for defeating Johann..i spent around 30 continues today and he destroys me every single time.

Jump to Forum: