Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Klarkus
Thread ID: 2317
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 13945 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Which game should I focus on
Wii Sports Wii Sports 0%[0 Votes]
Modern Warfare 2 (Spec Ops) Modern Warfare 2 (Spec Ops) 25%[1 Vote]
Forza 3 Forza 3 25%[1 Vote]
Halo ODST (Firefight) Halo ODST (Firefight) 0%[0 Votes]
Gears of War 2 (Horde) Gears of War 2 (Horde) 50%[2 Votes]
Total Votes : 4
 Print Thread
Weekly game challenges...Vote
Klarkus
I wanna do some challenges with some games. The reason ive chose these for now is because they have alot of variety in them where as some of the games you guys wanted (sorry) are all just 1 run through with a high score - theres no much else you can do with the game.

With these you have alot of choices and challenges to do. Here is an example for each game.

Wii Sports - Baseball : How many home runs can you get in one game

MW2 Spec Ops - The Pit : Your best time using only pistols

Forza 3 - Fujimi Kaido : Your best drift score with ALL assists turned off and Manual gears

Halo ODST FF - Alpha Site : Most double kills you can get normal difficulty

Gears 2 Horde - Day One : High score reach wave 10 using only the weapons you start with

These are just a few and there is plenty more which are really fun. Im good at all these games and enjoy playing them. I just dont know which one to focus on. Im hoping a few of you have these games or atleast 1 of them Smile

Ive voted for MW2 as its very popular at the minute and its on both PS3 and Xbox (No PC version because it has the upper hand with mouse and keyboard)
Edited by Klarkus on 07. February 2010 11:48
img218.imageshack.us/img218/2194/myterrytag.gif

RiKo
Nice idea Klarkus, I voted for GOW2 cos it's the only one i have. Also i have never played Horde mode and it sounds like Arcadey fun Smile Is Modern Warfare 2 good btw? i was thinking of buying it sometime.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
priest
Klarkus: Just an idea: Maybe you should vary the pick of games a bit more and include atleast 1 "older" title?
Smile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoGeoNinja
HEH HEH...
I voted Forza 3 and I don't even OWN a 360!

Great game though, but honestly, out of all those, that is the only game that interests me... and I don't even own it!

HALO, GOW, MW2...
Meh. Not games that interest me. I'd rather play The Conduit, a Metroid, Black, Half Life 1, Urban Chaos - Riot response... etc etc. Fuck, even GoldenEye, PDark or Doom!

I know, I know... you can say I live in the past but honestly, they're all better games than what everyone else is playing 'now' Grin

Ninja
(p.s. I still play SFZ3, SF3S & even EX+a > SF4... I doubt that'll ever change)
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 07. February 2010 18:09
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Klarkus
lol thanks for the post guys...

RiKo - Horde mode is awesome mate its alot of fun. Especially with some buddies. When you reach wave 40+ it gets crazy lol MW2 is really good. You get 3 games really - Single Player / Spec Ops / Multiplayer. Well worth it.

Priest - I was thinking of adding an older game but couldnt really decide because like I said alot of them are just 1 run through with nothing else to offer :/

Ninja - shut up lol nah but i know what you saying and again after you have put up your high score or fastest time for those games you cant really do much more

I will give this a week or so and then just do a few see if anyone does them. If not it will just be a personal thread for me lol trying to beat my own challenges:(
Edited by Klarkus on 07. February 2010 20:28

Wild Tengu
None of these games are even remotely interesting, especially Wii Sports.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
Klarkus
There the most popular games on each format at the minute...i never asked if the games interest you. Im asking the people who actually play next gen games (good games like these) which ones they would prefer

Wild Tengu
Wii Sports isn't good though.

I doubt most people here can actually prove they even did the challenges with these games... what good is a challenge if nobody can prove they completed it?

You'd have better luck picking from classics that are emulated, easier to show proof, not to mention there is a huge amount of variety. Three of those games are shooters, three of which that are Xbox360 exclusive.

shion
*cough* Marvel vs. Capcom *cough* Grin

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Klarkus
Wild Tengu wrote:
Wii Sports isn't good though.

I doubt most people here can actually prove they even did the challenges with these games... what good is a challenge if nobody can prove they completed it?

You'd have better luck picking from classics that are emulated, easier to show proof, not to mention there is a huge amount of variety. Three of those games are shooters, three of which that are Xbox360 exclusive.

Wii sports isnt good? I dont know one person who hasnt enjoyed playing that game unless your some kind slug who cant get off of the sofa to do abit of fun activity. Prove it? You dont have camera's where you live? 90% of todays mobile phones have cameras on them. Its not hard to take a quick picture and upload it

img535.imageshack.us/img535/6842/photo0089d.jpg

That was done on my phone and its only a 3mp camera...took 2 seconds to upload. Proof

I already explained about the "classic" games...they are BORING after you complete them. There is nothing else you can actually do apart from post high scores for the one run through. With horde, spec ops, fire fight its always different and fun. Get with the times man buy a next gen console.
Edited by Klarkus on 10. February 2010 12:39

NeoGeoNinja
Wild Tengu wrote:
Wii Sports isn't good though...

Klarkus wrote:
Wii sports isnt good? I dont know one person who hasnt enjoyed playing that game unless your some kind slug who cant get off of the sofa to do abit of fun activity...

I THINK IT'S SHIT TOO...
I've never liked this compilation of crap and hated that it was the sole reason why PPL decided to buy a Wii. Hats off to Nintendo I guess... the effect IS wearing thin though now, as my 2nd Wii off a Wii Sports ONLY playing friend has proven. My gain, huh?

HOWEVER...
on the flip-side I would just like to add that I recently played Wii-Sports resort and found the responsiveness and games on offer MUCH more fun! I really enjoyed the frisbee & archery games... VERY addictive! Shame that it doesn't seem to be getting the recognition it deserves (that still goes to the original unfortunately).

Klarkus wrote:
I already explained about the "classic" games...they are BORING after you complete them. There is nothing else you can actually do apart from post high scores for the one run through. With horde, spec ops, fire fight its always different and fun. Get with the times man buy a next gen console.

THEY'RE NOT BORING...
definitely not in the opinion of all the PPL who have specifically chosen top spend all their time dedicated to a NeoGeo site... a console who's mainstay was in the 90's... nearly 10-20 yrs ago. I'm sure I speak for most of the community here when I say we tend to enjoy the 'classic/retro' gaming experience vastly over so-called 'next-gen' titles.

SURE...
GOW2, MW2, HALO etc are all great for a short term game that probably most of us on here would lose the inclination to ever complete, but they don't hold the passion for game design, soundtrack, playability and simplicity which makes the greatest classics easy and enjoyable to come back to again and again, and subsequently are played constantly throughout the years... and many years to come.

Turn around and see if PPL can be bothered playing GOW2 & MW2 in 5yrs time. I doubt it.

HOWEVER...
I do acknowledge that all those games you have chosen are current, highly regarded AAA titles for currently available next gen platforms, and are good games in their own right. It's just that being a Neo-specific site I 'doubt' that there will be many PPL here who dedicate there full time and efforts into those said games. I for one have a Wii & PS3, and personally, I use them as means of a distraction and download demos and buy the odd game out of curiosity, sadly without the intention of 'getting' into the game. It does happen occasionally, but it's very rare (i.e. FEAR2 & MStorm-Pacific Rift of last year!).

Thank you of being good enough to even consider putting a challenge up for us all though. I do appreciate (honestly!) appreciate the thought Thumbs Up

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Basashi King
ill be buying my 'next gen' console as a convenient means of watching downloaded tv and possibly (if i go ps3) as a blu ray player. ssf4 is a bonus.

i will doubtless still be looking to the neo geo for real gaming in 2010 and beyond.

Klarkus
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
THEY'RE NOT BORING...
definitely not in the opinion of all the PPL who have specifically chosen top spend all their time dedicated to a NeoGeo site... a console who's mainstay was in the 90's... nearly 10-20 yrs ago. I'm sure I speak for most of the community here when I say we tend to enjoy the 'classic/retro' gaming experience vastly over so-called 'next-gen' titles.

I never said they are boring...i said they are boring once you have completed them because theres nothing else for you to do. Where as MW2, Gears, Halo have online play which is far better than "classic" games

SURE...
GOW2, MW2, HALO etc are all great for a short term game that probably most of us on here would lose the inclination to ever complete, but they don't hold the passion for game design, soundtrack, playability and simplicity which makes the greatest classics easy and enjoyable to come back to again and again, and subsequently are played constantly throughout the years... and many years to come.

I take it youve never tried to complete Call of Duty 4 on veteran difficulty...beleive me its not short and good look completing halo on legendary on your own.

Turn around and see if PPL can be bothered playing GOW2 & MW2 in 5yrs time. I doubt it.

Gears of War (1) sold over three million copies in just ten weeks and was the fastest-selling video game of 2006, and was the second-most played game over Xbox Live during 2007. 35 people on my friends list STILL play this online regulary

Pretty much the same story for halo 3 and Call of Duty 4. I still play halo 3 loads and whats best is they bring out new maps, and new missions in single player games - can classic games do this? no. The thing about next gen games is people DO play the same game for 5 years plus -- Halo 2 > Halo 3 > Halo ODST > Halo reach. They are all the same game engine just updated. Oh just to prove you wrong halo 2 came out November 9, 2004 and is still played today quite frequently online. Well, was...until xbox decided to shut down backwards games but still it leads on to halo 3 so theres 5 years for you.

HOWEVER...
I do acknowledge that all those games you have chosen are current, highly regarded AAA titles for currently available next gen platforms, and are good games in their own right. It's just that being a Neo-specific site I 'doubt' that there will be many PPL here who dedicate there full time and efforts into those said games.

Take the "classic" talk into the neo geo section then...this is the "non-neo geo" section. You should speak to the owner of this site about people not dedicating their efforts to next gen games - Left 4 Dead.

I for one have a Wii & PS3, and personally, I use them as means of a distraction and download demos and buy the odd game out of curiosity, sadly without the intention of 'getting' into the game. It does happen occasionally, but it's very rare (i.e. FEAR2 & MStorm-Pacific Rift of last year!).

You might wanna try some games that actually are good...Heres a little list for both those consoles

Wii
- Mario Galaxy
- Smash bro's brawl
- Zelda
- Metroid
- New Mario
- Mario Kart

PS3
- Uncharted 1 and 2
- Kill zone 1 and 2
- Little big planet
- Metal Gear 4
- GTA 4
- Batman
- Borderlands
- Fallout 3
- Infamous
- Oblivion

I could go on all day...these are games that are gonna keep you entertained for along time

Thank you of being good enough to even consider putting a challenge up for us all though. I do appreciate (honestly!) appreciate the thought Thumbs Up

Ninja

Maybe I should take this to another forum cuz like you said this is more of a "classic" games forum. Either that or just make a "classic" games high score challenge which I wouldnt take part in

Shock

RiKo
Hi Klarkus Smile I have a foot in both camps tho i do generally prefer 'classic' style games at the moment due to time problems. I will def try the GOW2 challenge tho i won't be very good, cos i haven't played it much so far. I think there are some great current-gen games but i wish there was more variation in titles. The hardware we have now could do a huge variety of game types, but there seems to be about the same type of games a lot of the time. also too many games now have these bloated stories. Why do games even need stories? some do yes, but i just want to play a game sometime, and not a story. i just want action, action action! games are not films they are games. The enjoyment should come from playing not watching stories, though that is a part of them. I do like the GTA games a lot though esp San Andreas. there are some great download games i must say which i really like to play which suit the classic style of gameplay more. e.g. Geometry Wars 2, Outrun HD, Pacman CE, Trials etc I actually think both modern games and classic games are equally good, and what i play depends on what mode i am in.

I think you will have a problem here pleasing everyone, but why not start a single challenge and see how it goes Smile i still want to do my Crazy Taxi (DC) and Battle Garegga challenges (Saturn), i will drag some people onto this site to play them if i have to! lol

I am still not sure if we need proof. There's no prize really. I can never be bothered to take photographic proof, altho i did once on Blazing Star just cos i improved my score a lot. This is a friendly forum i think we all trust each other Smile
Edited by RiKo on 10. February 2010 22:23
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Wild Tengu
By proof, I mean by video. Screenshots are easily doctored, and one could use cheats and nobody would ever know with screens alone. Not only that, but, I mean, look at your own challenges you proposed. Pistol only? Assists turned off and manual gears? Etc... this is all stuff that isn't gonna be shown and proven in a single screenshot in most cases. So someone could totally not follow the rules to your challenges, and throw you a screenshot, and you'd never know how they actually did it.

Not only that, not everyone has a tricked out phone with a camera built in, and not everyone has a super computer w/ a capture device or another method to record video from their console.

It would be alot easier doing challenges for classic games. I mean seriously. How shallow can you get? Just high scores? No reliability? Boring? Where the hell were you in the 80's and 90's... there is so much you can do in so many games, arcade and console. Plus everything up to the PS2 is emulatable now.
Edited by Wild Tengu on 11. February 2010 01:22

merlin
I still think it's a good idea having some challenges for other games. I don't own any of the games mentioned in the poll but I know they are very popular so hopefully a few people will join in with you Klarkus.

Klarkus wrote:
I never said they are boring...i said they are boring once you have completed them because theres nothing else for you to do. Where as MW2, Gears, Halo have online play which is far better than "classic" games

I agree with you that there are some fantastic current gen games like Oblivion, Fall Out 3 and Blaz Blue etc. We all have our own tastes when it comes to games but I guess I don't really understand your point that once you complete retro games there's nothing left to do and they somehow become boring. Surely classic games are so good that you want to play though them again and again? Also you can play a vast number of retro arcade and console games online using emulation on a PC.

I agree with RiKo that we don't really need to provide proof. It's a small forum and we can trust each other.
Edited by merlin on 11. February 2010 16:59

Jump to Forum: