Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: priest
Thread ID: 2316
Thread Info
There are 38 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 17267 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Last Resort: NGFL High Score Challenge
priest
Murikov: I really admire your will to achieve an 1CC (times 2) in this rather hard shooter. Well doneThumbs Up

Scoreboard, hall of fame and medals are updated.

EDIT: Hall of change is not updated. Thinking of deleting it or reworking it a bit....
Edited by priest on 26. January 2012 21:30
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NEO-GEO man
Murikov wrote:
Murikov: Score: 209,400. Stage: 5 (at the very beginning), Played on: MVSPSP (PSP), Difficulty level: MVS

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20High%20Score%20Challenges/lresortscore26jan12.png

I always keep returning to this game, it's just that good. My long-term goal is to 1CC it, maybe even twice.

In any case it's a very enjoyable change compared to Last Hope...

It is a great game yes, very under rated i reckon, and certainly streets ahead of Last Hope. The good thing i love about Last Resort is you can play single player and its abit like Pulstar with the going back to check points, or you can play 2 player and relax and have some fun Smile

Great score too!!

Murikov
Thanks bros! Smile

NEO-GEO man wrote:
The good thing i love about Last Resort is you can play single player and its abit like Pulstar with the going back to check points, or you can play 2 player and relax and have some fun.

Completely agree with you, that's what I always tell people who don't like the checkpoint system in Last Resort. Just hook up with a second player and it's as enjoyable as Blazing Star.

For those who still argue with it and want to play it in 1P mode like Blazing Star, there's still UniBios to disable the checkpoint mode (and NO, I didn't use it for this HSC).

Anyway, I've noticed some gameplay changes that enable themselves when you perform differently. If you die midst in the stage and restart from a checkpoint, the Boss' patterns slightly change and make them much easier to beat. You especially notice it when fighting the 3rd Boss which is much harder when you arrive him without dying during the rest of Stage 3.

Also if you complete Stage 4 perfectly, Stage 5 appears slightly harder than normal, e.g. the front fireball cannon of the mother ship fires in an interval of 1 second instead of 3 and later the asteroids fly much faster than usually. If you die then, everything turns into normal again.

I just love this game! Thumbs Up
Edited by Murikov on 27. January 2012 10:27
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

NEO-GEO man
Its so well thought out, and some great music too Wink

priest
OK

NEO-GEO man
Im about to put my MVS Last Resort cart on ebay, but have no fear, as ill be buying the AES cart again soon.

I reckon the stage 3 boss isnt exactly hard the first time round, its on the 2nd time through the game that it is EXTREMELY hard.

First and 2nd stage bosses are very easy, 4th is also quite easy, and 5th is somewhat more difficult!!

priest
I trust that weŽll see you round these parts of the forum again, N-G man...

NEO-GEO man
Very soon Priest yes Smile

priest
OK

merlin
I've been playing this over the last few days and was very pleased that I was able to complete the first loop. Awesome game!

Merlin: 349,800. , loop 2 stage 2, played on: Mame 32++

Played on default MVS difficulty setting (level 3).

input file: https://www.media...b3xzx5p4wm
(works on Mame32++0.119, settings: BIOS: Europe MVS Ver.2, changed to US region setting via tab menu)

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/mameppkgui2014-11-1023-04-58-35_zps408b3c89.jpg

YouTube Video

merlin
I've deleted most of what I wrote in my previous post. I was confused about the difficulty settings and worried I had played on the wrong one but level 3 is definitely the default MVS setting. The difficulty settings go from 0 to 7 so level 3 is the fourth one. I've also added my input file to the previous post.

I remember in the past thinking this game was difficult and I've read many other people saying the same thing. If you only give the game a few quick plays occasionally then it does seem hard but spend more time with it and you soon realize the difficulty level is below average for an arcade shoot 'em up. It's quite an easy game really. The bosses in particular are incredibly easy especially the stage 2 boss.

One tip I would give is in the final stage it's a bit easier if you don't go inside the alien mothership and instead destroy the top part from above. There's enough time to destroy it before the screen starts scrolling to the right.

One thing I do find difficult is if you lose a life in that section with the rocks in stage 5. Having to play that part again with no power-ups is not easy.

I hope other people here who also love this game, and haven't already done it, will try for a 1CC. I would like to see Murikov giving this another try.

Glowsquid
If you only give the game a few quick plays occasionally then it does seem hard but spend more time with it and you soon realize the difficulty level is below average for an arcade shoot 'em up. It's quite an easy game really.

Glad someone else has come to that conclusion!

The main "trick" with Last Resort is to use and abuse the pod throw. It doesn't *look* powerful, but it is, and spamming it (ie: throwing it early as possible, not bothering to fill up the bar) will tear bigger enemies and bosses to shreds in seconds.

Murikov
Excellent score, Merlin.

I actually might get back to Last Resort as it still is a blast to play. And after all I always wanted to at least 1CC this game. It's not as hard as other genre examples like Pulstar or R-Type, but some moments of abstraction can still quickly lead to disastrous results.

I still remember the asteroids in the final stage, they're a real bitch to evade. Roll Eyes
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

merlin
Yes launching the pod at enemies is very important in the game and does a lot of damage. In the past I didn't realize how important that tactic is.

Thanks Murikov. I'm sure it wouldn't take you long to get a 1CC if you tried again.

Maybe this is not a problem for other people but I quite often lost a life inside the alien ship in the last stage. Staying outside made that stage quite a bit easier for me.

Watching Sebastien Leger's playthrough on youtube really helped me to learn the game.

https://www.youtu...Zn4F0qg0l8

LIFE_IN_2D
I love this game.

Recently bought it on AES. Plan on getting very good at it someday.

That youtube play through that Merlin posted is crazy.

The soundtrack is what keeps me coming back to this game. It's hard to get tired of those tunes.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

priest
Merlin: Sorry about the delayed update.

Scoreboard is updated.

Glowsquid
I've managed to clear the first loop of Last Resort in one life ^_^ . I also came very close to 1ccing the 2nd loop but I lost most of my lives against the stage 4 boss and died in the corridor before the final bos. Looks like I'm not quite done with this game yet!

Glowsquid: 494,100. , loop 2 stage 5, played on: Neo Geo CD

merlin
Congrats! That's an impressive score especially because of the no deaths during the first loop.

My reign at the top has come to an end! Shock

Good luck with the 2-ALL. I'm sure you'll do it sooner or later.

Just want to make a small suggestion. It's not compulsory but I think it's a good idea to post a screenshot when taking part in a high score challenge especially if it's a high score that gets you into first place. If you're playing on a TV is there any chance you could please take a photo of the screen next time using a digital camera?

Hope to see Murikov and Neo-Geo Man giving this another go.

Jump to Forum: