Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: shion
Thread ID: 2295
Thread Info
There are 51 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 17914 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Worst Street Fighter games
shion
We all (probably) know the best Street Fighters, but how about the worst ones? Name the additions you've been exposed to and were sorry to experience; maybe we can get a list going. Grin

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
priest
Well let me start the list with: STREET FIGHTER THE MOVIE, maybe a (too?) obvious choice. But lets face it its not very goodThumbs Down
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoGeoNinja
priest wrote:
Well let me start the list with: STREET FIGHTER THE MOVIE, maybe a (too?) obvious choice. But lets face it its not very goodThumbs Down

HERE WE GO!...
Have to be honest, the ARCADE release of SF the Movie, whilst admittedly being based on the movie, was actually a fun game! It's a shame the console releases were not a patch on it (which they weren't). Indeed, you can argue that a game based on such 'tragic' source material can never be any good anyway, but quite honestly, there is enjoyment to be had out of the ARCADE release of SFMovie... and let's face it, in the face of the the likes of KOFMovie and DOAMovie (amongst others), they have made SFMovie look good by comparison!! (not to be confused with saying SFMovie IS good btw).

AS FOR THE WORST...
Street Fighter games? SF1 on the Amiga is absolutely disgusting... to be honest, SF1 just ain't that great at all anyway nowadays. Easy to say I know, but without taking pity (it was the 1st etc) it IS imo the worst SF game available.

ALSO...
any iterations of SF2 found on ANY kind of Amiga, ST, C64, Speccy, SMS, NES etc ARE the worst versions of SFighter you will find.

For example:
STREET FIGHTER 2 - AMIGA

YouTube Video

Yeah, like I said... UTTER gash!

INCIDENTALLY...
I could probably go on and on and on about the shit versions of Street Fighter games that exist i.e. 'Worst Street Fighter Game'... but I won't. I'd like to hear some other PPL's thoughts instead of going on with myself!! Grin

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

cthulhu
Wow, I couldn't remember Street Fighter II being THAT bad...it was the first version of the game I ever played and it was the only way for me to play Street Fighter II, so to me it was quite good...now however it really looks and sound aweful. The thing that sucks even more than the graphics and (the lack of) sound was the fact that the Amiga only supported 2 buttons if you had the right stick...most people only had ONE button to play Street Fighter II.

For me the worst Street Fighter game would be the very first one for the Arcade or the PC Engine (haven't played any other version and I hope that I never will)...Horrible graphics, Terrible sound and Atrocious non responsive gameplay. It's quite a miracle that this steaming pile of shit spawned one of the most succesful and popular Fighting Game series ever.

Street Fighter the Movie was also quite a bad game, but that one is so bad that it becomes really funny...a bit like the movie itself.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

reelmojo
NeoGeoNinja wrote:SF2... SMS
I was going to mention that one! Sure, it was quite a programming feat to get the game running on the Master System, but that doesn't mean it's good by any means! TecToy actually released a special six button SMS controller just for that one game too! Hard to believe that the SMS could have been that popular in Brazil.

I'm certain that I'd like the game a lot more now, but when I first played Street Fighter EX I was sorely disappointed. I was in a very nice arcade (which even back in the '90s weren't common where I grew up), and I jumped on SFEX the moment I saw it. I had read about it and was pretty excited to give it a try. After one round I glanced at the machine to my left and saw a brand new Street Fighter III: Third Strike machine. I immediately abandoned my SFEX game in progress and spent most of the rest of my day being blown away by Third Strike.

That was only the second time I ever walked away from an arcade game in progress. The other time? Wargods. Pfft
Edited by reelmojo on 30. January 2010 18:59

shion
The Street Fighter II Movie, not to be confused with Street Fighter the Movie, is among the worst. Then again, every Street Fighter for the PSX lacked a painful amount of sprite frames, making them very unenjoyable and unplayable. They are real stinkers, in my book, not even close to their arcade versions. Speaking of Capcom fighters on the PSX, I still remember literally crying when I started Darkstalkers up, after coaxing my parents into buying it for me. :( I learned my lesson after that though, and avoided any further Capcom fighters on that system like the plague.
Edited by shion on 30. January 2010 21:48

NeoGeoNinja
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
The Street Fighter II Movie, not to be confused with Street Fighter the Movie, is among the worst. Then again, every Street Fighter for the PSX lacked a painful amount of sprite frames, making them very unenjoyable and unplayable. They are real stinkers, in my book, not even close to their arcade versions. Speaking of Capcom fighters on the PSX, I still remember literally crying when I started Darkstalkers up, after coaxing my parents into buying it for me. :( I learned my lesson after that though, and avoided any further Capcom fighters on that system like the plague.

I DON'T AGREE, AT ALL...
with what you are saying about PS1 Capcom games being unenjoyable and unplayable. Sure they're not quite up to their CPS2 or even Saturn counterparts (even though MSH IS better on PS1) but unplayable? No offense but, that's bollocks! Like you say, they did have missing frames here and there but they were not broken in the least.

HOWEVER...
to address your point regarding SF2 The Movie: that was the one based on the Anime released for that Saturn? Is that the one you mean? The one where you actually play as one of Bisons cyborgs? I'm guessing this is the one... never played it myself BUT I heard it was pretty tragic!

Ninja

Wild Tengu
Street Fighter 3 Turd Strike

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
Kazuya_UK
Wild Tengu wrote:

Controversial but I kind of agree... it's a great game but it's the SF that I got the least enjoyment out of as as much as I respect it, I can't get into it at all and few of my friends are fans... so we don't play it much.

Ignoring some of the shocking ports to other systems, SF1 and SF: The Movie must be the worst Street Fighter games out there, easily.

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
shion
NeoGeoNinja wrote:HOWEVER...
to address your point regarding SF2 The Movie: that was the one based on the Anime released for that Saturn? Is that the one you mean? The one where you actually play as one of Bisons cyborgs? I'm guessing this is the one... never played it myself BUT I heard it was pretty tragic!

Ninja

Yes. And I stand by my experiences re. PSX Capcom fighters (to clarify, they're unplayable because they're unenjoyable, e.g.: why would I force myself to play through a shitty arcade port?); we'll have to agree to disagree, OK? Smile In fairness to Capcom, the PSX's weakness is 2-D animation, so the quality of said games is not entirely Capcom's fault, I like to think.

cthulhu
Wild Tengu wrote:

I also agree with you to a certain extent, because I really hate Street Fighter III, but I don't think it's the worst Street Fighter game...the game itself isn't that bad, but as I've mentioned before (and I'll again if I have to), I really don't enjoy playing Street Fighter III because the music sucks big time, the backgrounds are pixelated Valium , the character roster is crap (too many uninspired and uninteresting fighters...way too many Ryu/ Ken lookalikes) and finally Gill is one über cheap motherf*cking piece of shit that ruins the game even more. I have to honestly say that the gameplay itself is pretty good and the animations are in one word fabulous. Still I hate the original Street Fighter even more.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

shion
I always thought 3rd Strike's high regard is up-kept mainly by diehard fanboys and kids that don't know any better (i.e.: it was the latest addition in the series, therefore it must've been the best, according to their reasoning). And, of course, the genuine fans. I firmly believe Turd (nice play on words Tengu) Strike is not a bad game, but a hopelessly average one. The original and its 2nd Impact, are, however, bad games IMO. While certainly not the worst of the worst, they come in slightly below average — a certain depth old SNK fighters know all too well. Besides the lacking gameplay, I would also like to mention Capcom's late delivery of this sequel (seven years for most people) as a contributor to what makes Street Fighter III generally bad. Genuine fans can only stay loyal for so long, as the saying goes.
Edited by shion on 31. January 2010 11:05

NeoGeoNinja
Wild Tengu wrote:

OH GOD...
not again! I thought you said you'd managed to finally get into it using the 6 button set-up? I guess not!! On we go...

Kazuya_UK wrote:
Controversial but I kind of agree... it's a great game but it's the SF that I got the least enjoyment out of as as much as I respect it, I can't get into it at all and few of my friends are fans... so we don't play it much.

Ignoring some of the shocking ports to other systems, SF1 and SF: The Movie must be the worst Street Fighter games out there, easily.

Kaz

FAIR ENOUGH...
if you don't enjoy it all that much I can see why, personally, you would think of it as one of the worst SF games. In all honesty though SF3series really DOES NOT qualify as one of the worst SF games IMO. If anything, they tried to do something different and offer some fresh characters as opposed to the then stale SF2 line-up that we have sadly fallen back towards.

cthulhu wrote:
I also agree with you to a certain extent, because I really hate Street Fighter III, but I don't think it's the worst Street Fighter game...the game itself isn't that bad, but as I've mentioned before (and I'll again if I have to), I really don't enjoy playing Street Fighter III because the music sucks big time, the backgrounds are pixelated Valium , the character roster is crap (too many uninspired and uninteresting fighters...way too many Ryu/ Ken lookalikes) and finally Gill is one über cheap motherf*cking piece of shit that ruins the game even more. I have to honestly say that the gameplay itself is pretty good and the animations are in one word fabulous. Still I hate the original Street Fighter even more.

YOU'RE RIGHT CTHULHU...
you have mentioned it before and I'll also respond to it again if I have to.

MUSIC: Fair enough. I can see that it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I hardly think it sucks personally. I especially like how there is 3 remixes for each possible round to mix it up a bit... quite innovative IMO (minimally, admittedly)

PIXELLATED 'VALIUM' : I have no idea how the word Valium has anything to do with SF3's BKGD's but you use it everytime, so it must mean something! Anyway, again, you're pretty much right here. The BKGD's do their job BUT are lacking in the resolution and layers dept. Shame considering how good they were in SF3 & 2ndI. I still like them overall though... I've just seen better!

CRAP ROSTER: Personally, I massively disagree. It's the interesting and diverse roster of characters that keeps me coming back to SF3series >10yrs on! Sadly I cannot say the same for SF2 (good in it's day) or SF4... which bored me to tears! Hell, I traded it in <2 months of owning it... I've never parted with an SF game in my LIFE!

Going back to the SF2 cast... now THAT is uninspired! I didn't mind some old SF2 heads popping up in Zero3 'cause we already had the awesome Alpha roster to add to... but to make a 3D SF and base it on SF2? Regardless of how successful it has been, it's still ill in concept for me.

TOO MANY SHOTOS: I kind of agree with this BUT it is hardly a point I would ever make against SF3 myself. Sure you get Ryu & Ken as standard and seemingly Akuma is now part of the furniture too nowadays. But Sean (in 3S) doesn't really play anything like the other 3. He may look similar but he's quite different. So yeah, maybe I'd say Akuma is redundant. I don't like him myself as I don't see the point. He WAS very cool back in SF2T though!

GILL: I find this an interesting criticism coming from someone who is mainly into SNK fighters - especially as SNK are ACTUALLY famous for their SNK boss syndrome. Seriously, Gill can be challenging BUT is a walk in the park compared to some of SNK's 'finest'. Also, Gill may seem hard BUT he is never really unfair and given good (and not cheap!) strategy he can be overcome. He's very doable!

GAMEPLAY & ANIMATION: Erm... can't really argue with you here. Gameplay is great and the animation is still pretty unbelievable 10+yrs on! A great tribute to how great Capcom were at making fighting games, back in the day!

1st Super Tobalman wrote:
I always thought 3rd Strike's high regard is up-kept mainly by diehard fanboys and kids that don't know any better (i.e.: it was the latest addition in the series, therefore it must've been the best, according to their reasoning). And, of course, the genuine fans. I firmly believe Turd (nice play on words Tengu) Strike is not a bad game, but a hopelessly average one. The original and its 2nd Impact, are, however, bad games IMO. While certainly not the worst of the worst, they come in slightly below average — a certain depth old SNK fighters know all too well. Besides the lacking gameplay, I would also like to mention Capcom's late delivery of this sequel (seven years for most people) as a contributor to what makes Street Fighter III generally bad. Genuine fans can only stay loyal for so long, as the saying goes.

3RD STRIKES HIGH REGARD...
is kept up by PPL who thoroughly appreciate how diverse and deep the game is combined with great play mechanics and unmatched animation. Oddly the high regard is upheld by PPL who I would consider to be 'in the know'... I tend to find PPL who still consider SF2series to be superior PPL who just haven't moved on or are pretty clueless when it comes to the intricacies that make 3S as good as it actually is. The kids who don't know any better won't EVEN KNOW what this game is! It's either SF2 or now SF4 for them lot! I guess I tend to fit into your latter category: I am a genuine fan of SF3series - more so than any other SFseries (with the Alpha/Zero series running pretty much jointly).

As for SF3 having lacking gameplay??! There's no real answer for this but I genuinely feel SF3 has more than most! SF3 & 2ndI BAD GAMES?? I really don't know how many question marks and exclamation marks I can legally place in a response... but I think you get the jist!

AS FOR LOYALTY?
You're right to an extent. Fans can only stay loyal for so long, which is why, when they chose to release SF4 - as a 3D SF with SF2's roster I chose to walk away. That game is not a patch on the genius SF3 offered. It is, like you so aptly put, for 'kids that don't know any better (i.e.: it was the latest addition in the series, therefore it must've been the best, according to their reasoning).'

WOW...
that's it on the whole really. I think what really surprised me is that SF3 (especially 3rdStrike!) made it into this thread at all! You guys do surprise me...

Ninja

RiKo
i love Third Strike too haha, leave it alone! i thought Tengu was trolling but then other people agreed! lol you are mad, its brilliant. Gameplay wise it plays amazing, and theres the parry system for hardcore freaks. I agree the characters arent that great and the music is a bit bland, but gameplay wise its a fighters paradise Smile so enjoy Grin
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
The eccentric cat
Third Strike is the one I hate the most, so... ><
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

RiKo
^^^^ no taste Grin
Edited by RiKo on 31. January 2010 22:10
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
The eccentric cat
no u
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

STE C
I think SF4 is dogturd sorry fans . How anybody can hate SF3 3rd is beyond me , its a joy to play as is 2nd impact. But SF the movie is clearly the worst.

reelmojo
NeoGeoNinja wrote:Also, Gill may seem hard BUT he is never really unfair...
When you beat him fairly and he magically comes back to life with a full health bar... sorry but there's nothing SNK has done that has been more unfair than that. Most of the "SNK Boss Syndrome" bosses that people complain about are in KOF games, which means that you're fighting them three on one. If they were just normal characters it wouldn't even be a challenge and it wouldn't be fun. But Gill? You have to effectively beat him twice with one life bar. I don't remember if he can resurrect more than once though, like once in round one and once in round two. That would make it even worse.

To this day I've only beaten Third Strike with Ken, and any SNK game I can beat with multiple characters. So yeah, my vote for least fair fighting game boss of all time goes to Gill, hands down.

However, I don't think that makes Third Strike a bad game though. Just a bad single player experience.
Edited by reelmojo on 31. January 2010 23:15

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
When you beat him fairly and he magically comes back to life with a full health bar... sorry but there's nothing SNK has done that has been more unfair than that. Most of the "SNK Boss Syndrome" bosses that people complain about are in KOF games, which means that you're fighting them three on one. If they were just normal characters it wouldn't even be a challenge and it wouldn't be fun. But Gill? You have to effectively beat him twice with one life bar. I don't remember if he can resurrect more than once though, like once in round one and once in round two. That would make it even worse.

To this day I've only beaten Third Strike with Ken, and any SNK game I can beat with multiple characters. So yeah, my vote for least fair fighting game boss of all time goes to Gill, hands down.

However, I don't think that makes Third Strike a bad game though. Just a bad single player experience.

I CAN UNDERSTAND...
that point of view 'Mojo, but in time you learn that it is best to wait for him to use his Meteor super before defeating him (and he WILL use it). Sure, if you beat him and he has already managed to beat you enough to get a full super bar, then yeah... he will resurrect. It's just about biding your time really... that or showing him who's boss! And yes, if you give him the opportunity he WILL resurrect more than once!!

Ninja

Jump to Forum: