Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2287
Thread Info
There are 29 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 38638 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Samurai Shodown 2 discussion
NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
I love all the characters in the first four Samurai games including the slightly less serious ones like Gen-An, Cham Cham, Earthquake etc. but like Yao I think having a darker more serious atmosphere in SS3 and SS4 was a great move.

Although I love Samurai Shodown 2 I do have a bit of an issue with the control scheme. Considering that the Neo Geo has only 4 buttons did it really make sense to have 6 basic attacks in this game? I personally dislike having to press 2 buttons together for a heavy slash or heavy kick. Seems like they felt since the Street Fighter games had 6 attacks that they had to do the same thing. I don't think it's necessary to have 3 different kicks in a weapon based fighting game. Three slashes and one kick in SS3/4 makes a lot more sense.

I ABSOLUTELY...
agree with all this, and Merlin will know this as this is apoint we have discussed many many times before. 6 button set-up... 4 button controller? Lame IMO. I believe the CD version allowed 6-buttons? I had SS1 on the 3DO and it used the 3 face buttons with the R-shoulder as a 'shift' between kicks & slashes. Doh!

I ALSO...
love most of the characters from the first 4 too but can honestly say I don't enjoy the likes of (SS2's) Nicoteen, Cham Cham or Seiger. I also preferred Wan Fu with a sword as opposed to a club myself. Guess Genjuro was the only addition I cared about. There not characters I wish removed from the game, theyre just not my thing. I think Wan Fu and Earthquake are 2 of SS's better overall characters (in both style and character). I think it's a shame they were cut out after 2 myself (they re-appear in 6 but... I class 6 as a DM myself).

SO, SS2 THEN...
nice game, improved on the original which was already good in it's own right BUT I'm a fully fledged member of the 3 &4 fan club I'm afraid. Whilst I enjoy the odd dabble in 1 & 2 my serious gameplay lies in 3 &4. I really welcome the changes made in atmosphere, controls (perfect!) and art change. VERY NeoGeo indeed, unlike the original two IMO.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Reuart
http://www.youtub...re=related

that shows pretty much what ss2 did for the neo:> ,and ss3 ss4 <-goodlooking but gameplay wise not that good as ss2 or ssvs ;>
ss4 combo system like crapy and ss3 throwing x,x both fail big time in competion xD but have to admin that ss4 had a lil impact in the release date ^-^
http://www.youtub...re=related
Edited by Reuart on 01. February 2010 21:33

merlin
NeoGeoNinja wrote: I had SS1 on the 3DO and it used the 3 face buttons with the R-shoulder as a 'shift' between kicks & slashes. Doh!

I know the 3DO version is supposed to be a good port but that control set up sounds really bad. Never come across anything like that before. I guess you would get used to it to a certain extent but it's still pretty lame.

As for the combo system in SS4 well I actually really like this addition to the gameplay and the different options it gives you from a short 4 hit combo, to the full 14 hitter or interrupting it with a special move. Overall the gameplay in SS4 seems more fast paced and more exciting to me than SS2. Check out this intense match:

http://www.youtub...If63tETyyE

Yao
merlin wrote:

As for the combo system in SS4 well I actually really like this addition to the gameplay and the different options it gives you from a short 4 hit combo, to the full 14 hitter or interrupting it with a special move. Overall the gameplay in SS4 seems more fast paced and more exciting

I absolutely agree. people keep on coming up with the balance issue in SS4. The only scenario this is a disadvantage is during a tournament. But hands down, how many SS4 tournaments do people really play!? This is just a minus on paper, which doesn't lessen the fun this game makes during casual matches. And that is what it is really about. That is why I think 4 is the best game in the series.

NeoGeoNinja
A FRIEND AND I...
played through SS1 - SS5 last night and spent a good hour on each game! (VS mode).

SS2 was definitely a rather considerable improvement over SS1... but even when we moved onto SS3 that SS truly came alive as we played it! Wow the differences are huge! I guess it's down to preference but SS3 & SS4 for me are worlds ahead of SS2. Where PPL are saying SS2 is one of the best fighters ever... Well this is how I feel about SS3 & SS4... They're just unbelievable to look at and play! Literally... near fighting game perfection! If I were honest (and I'm not intending to be rude or disrespectful) I simply found SS2 to be boring by comparison.

SS3 is (and always will be) my favourite. BUT I still feel SS4 is the best overall!

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

gudrummer
I'm having a hard time liking SS3, but SS4 is an excellent game, no question about that.
But i still play SS2 more than any other game I have.... it just has a bigger imprint in my mind because it reminds me of the years I would actually stop by at an arcade center and play it for hours.

joedec
Shiny wrote:
The best 2D fighter ever made. That is all.

It's not only the best 2D fighting game ever made. In my opinion, it's probably the best fighting ever made, period.

hitorkori
had 1 & 2 on cart bk in the day & loved them both but getting neo cd & ss2 hooking it up to a amp me and freind were blown away by the audio & played it constantly over next few yrs with aof2 kof95 & tophunter etc i was miffed they changed hanzo shuriken in 2 but think ss2 is best than 1 i never got into 3 & 4 just seemed to inbalanced to previous 2 loved the atmosphere in them thou. ss2will always be my best neo fighting game !

ps 360 port seams a little off to me as do all via xbla

Black Shroud
hitorkori wrote:i never got into 3 & 4 just seemed to inbalanced to previous 2

In a nutshell:
SS2 has the least infinites but the biggest gaps between tiers (one character - Ukyo - owning everyone else)
SS3 = has the most infinites but the least gaps between tiers (most characters are competitive, in other words Ukyo is still deadly but there are many more characters who are just as deadly)
SS4 = has less infinites than SS3, but bigger gaps between tiers (like 4-5 characters - Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Hanzo, Galford/Sogetsu are competitive and own everyone else)

in comparison:
Balanced game = has no infinites and very small gaps between tiers
Broken game = has infinites and big gaps between tiers (most likely only top tiers will have access to infinites whereas low tiers would not)
Edited by Black Shroud on 18. August 2010 08:34
i160.photobucket.com/albums/t170/Viscelon/sign1lesser.gif

spirits.kaillera.ru
Jump to Forum: