Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: marktheshark
Thread ID: 2237
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3551 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello, guys.
marktheshark
Hey guys, Marktheshark here from Illinois. I've been thinking about getting a Neo Geo CD lately so it should be pretty exciting. I'm getting one because my limited budget can't handle the pressure of the AES prices & my limited space won't be too kind to a MVS cabinet. (I'm only 15 years old & have no job btw)
Edited by marktheshark on 09. January 2010 06:02

priest
Hey Marktheshark (like your nic) welcome to NGFL. Good to hear that you are investing in some genuine SNK HardwareThumbs Up
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoGeoNinja
marktheshark wrote:
Hey guys, Marktheshark here from Illinois. I've been thinking about getting a Neo Geo CD lately so it should be pretty exciting. I'm getting one because my limited budget can't handle the pressure of the AES prices & my limited space won't be too kind to a MVS cabinet. (I'm only 15 years old & have no job btw)

Welcome to NGFL MarkTheShark!

15 years old AND you're into retro gaming and the NeoGeo huh? That's VERy encouraging to read about. I would have expected your gaming generation to (PS1, SAT, N64 >...) to be hell-bent on 3D & HD etc. But you've proved me wrong! It's fantastic to hear about the younger gaming generations wanting to play the 'true' gaming experiences offered by retro platforms. The NeoGeo is one of THE best places to go for it too!

SO?...
where have you gotten your influences from then? Also, at 15yrs old (which as nearly 15yrs ago for me!) how do you put these tastes across to school mates and friends etc. Coming from the generation who was brought up on 8-bit & 16-bit, even I have problems convincing the same age group about the joys of the real games of old.

It's great to have someone as young as yourself here on the site. It's a real inspiration to see such interest in a timeless classic like SNK's NeoGeo. All the best with your NGCD purchase (however you go about it?). Shouldn't you maybe have gotten one for Xmas or something?

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
Hi marktheshark. Welcome to NGFL. It's a pretty friendly relaxed place we've got here so I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. Smile

I have a Neo CD myself and think they're a great system to own. If you're on a limited budget then it's a great option because quite a few of the games are very cheap to buy.

IDCHAPPY
hiya marktheshank Smile welcome aboard. Your on neo geo.com aswell arent you?

RiKo
Hi mark welcome to NG4L Smile i hope you enjoy your Neo Geo CD, i know there's a few exclusives on it too. You can always get an AES in the future if you wanted as well.

haha wish i had a Neo Geo CD when i was 15! hmmm not sure what i had, i think it was a Sinclair Spectrum + BBC Micro.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
marktheshark
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
marktheshark wrote:

Welcome to NGFL MarkTheShark!

15 years old AND you're into retro gaming and the NeoGeo huh? That's VERy encouraging to read about. I would have expected your gaming generation to (PS1, SAT, N64 >...) to be hell-bent on 3D & HD etc. But you've proved me wrong! It's fantastic to hear about the younger gaming generations wanting to play the 'true' gaming experiences offered by retro platforms. The NeoGeo is one of THE best places to go for it too!

SO?...
where have you gotten your influences from then? Also, at 15yrs old (which as nearly 15yrs ago for me!) how do you put these tastes across to school mates and friends etc. Coming from the generation who was brought up on 8-bit & 16-bit, even I have problems convincing the same age group about the joys of the real games of old.

It's great to have someone as young as yourself here on the site. It's a real inspiration to see such interest in a timeless classic like SNK's NeoGeo. All the best with your NGCD purchase (however you go about it?). Shouldn't you maybe have gotten one for Xmas or something?

Ninja

Well, for my influences, it's kinda of a long story, but let's begin.

Well, it all started back in late 1997-early 1998. I was at an arcade called Nickel Arcade at the time & I just happened to come across a MVS cabinet or two. I'm not sure if I played the games on there at the time, but it's the earliest memory of Neo Geo for me. I was 4 at the time.

4 years later in summer 2002, I went to Wisconsin with my family & I just happened to come across a MVS 2-Slot with Puzzle Bobble & a sports game I don't know the name of. At the time, I didn't know how it could have multiple games at one time. I was 8 years old.

In 2004, I went to a Pizza Hut with my brother & we came across another MVS cab, this time having Metal Slug 2, both us played it for a little bit. I was 10 years old

2 years later, I remembered the fun I had with Metal Slug 2 & Metal Slug 3 at Gamestop. So I looked both of them up to see which systems they're released on & found out that both of them were originally released on the Neo Geo. It was at that time when I really started researching info about the Neo Geo & it's games. I knew a little bit of the system before then, but not really that much. The KOF & Samurai Shodown games interested me a lot at the time. However, I didn't know how the Neo Geo became so successful. I was 12 at the time.

2007 & 2008 were mostly about finding out more about fighting game series on the system as well as a whole bunch of other games.

As for putting the tastes across my schoolmates & friends. I haven't really done it at all unfortunately. I'm not sure what games I should show to them to get them interested in the system nor if they would be even interested at all.

Well, I didn't get a Neo Geo CD on Christmas since I forgot to ask for one. I'm not sure if my parents would want to get me another system at the time since they think I have too many (In reality though, the N64, 1 of the 2 GBA's that I have in the house, Gamecube, PS2, DS, & Xbox 360 are my older brother's. I own a Super NES, GBC, the other GBA, DS Lite, & a Wii.) Honestly, it's gonna be a few months until I get a NGCD.

Sorry if the answer to your 1st question was a little long.

p.s.- How much does a top loading NGCD typically go for?
Edited by marktheshark on 10. January 2010 06:00

NeoStrayCat
Hello marktheshark, and welcome, nice long story though, after going through a Google Search, the Top Loader is typically around $150, and on a quick Ebay search, the games aren't (well somewhat) that expensive and the range for those are in the $5 to even more than $100 though. (Note that Results May Vary.)
Edited by NeoStrayCat on 12. January 2010 20:30
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
marktheshark
Well, looks like I got a little problem in my hands. I was thinking about getting a Neo Geo CD from ebay soon, but after hearing that they require you to have paypal to set up an account, I'm starting to feel discouraged. Making matters worse is that you have to be 18 or over to have a paypal account which got me really worried. I'm not sure if I could successfully convince my parents to open one up for me.

Are there any online video game stores out there that don't require you to have paypal? Furthermore, are there any online video game stores out there that allow for check or money orders?

merlin
Unfortunately I don't really know of many online stores which carry a good stock of Neo Geo consoles and games. There is videogameimports.com here in the UK that I use but they don't have a Neo CD in stock right now and for you would end up being more expensive than buying from a Japanese ebay seller anyway.

What I would do in your situation marktheshark is to try and find a friend or relative who already has a paypal account and get them to order it for you. If you can't find anyone who's willing to do this for you then you could always post in the buying/selling part of the forum at neo-geo.com and see if someone there will sell you a Neo Geo CD system. Perhaps someone in the US has one for sale and would be willing to accept a money order.

Shiny
Welcome to NGFL marktheshark. Smile

Like merlin, I'm a NGCD fan, hope you manage to get your hands on a console. Personally I'd avoid the CDZ, the supposed difference in speed is so slight (if there at all) that it's not worth the extra money.

Are you sure you NEED a PayPal account on eBay? I wouldn't have thought it a requirement, more down to individual auctions. I'm sure you could sign up to eBay without one and negotiate different payment methods with a potential seller.

marktheshark
Shiny wrote:
Welcome to NGFL marktheshark. Smile

Like merlin, I'm a NGCD fan, hope you manage to get your hands on a console. Personally I'd avoid the CDZ, the supposed difference in speed is so slight (if there at all) that it's not worth the extra money.

Are you sure you NEED a PayPal account on eBay? I wouldn't have thought it a requirement, more down to individual auctions. I'm sure you could sign up to eBay without one and negotiate different payment methods with a potential seller.

Oh, darn! I just checked the site. Turns out you don't need a paypal account to be a buyer on ebay. I checked the wrong section before then.

Sorry for the mix-up, guys.

Looks like you can use another payment method in some cases, but how many sellers are on there that accept more than just paypal anyway?

shion
Welcome

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Jump to Forum: