Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 2233
Thread Info
There are 5 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7759 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Jonathon Ross's Top 9 Games from 1990ish!!!
RiKo
Jonathan Ross is a famous TV and radio presenter in the UK. I found an interview with him in an old videogame magazine (he is a big gamer and comic collector). Love him (lots do) or hate him (lots do) it hought it would be interesting for people to read......

i haven't really seen his TV show but i sometimes hear his radio prog wehn i getting up (i get up late!). he is quite funny sometimes and can be surprisingly good at interviewing people. This was from a 16 bit games mag. Apaprently he owned (then) a Megadrive, a Turbo Grafx, a NES, Master System, an Amiga 2000, 2 Gameboys, a Lynx and a Mac

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathon Ross's top 9 Games in 1990ish

R-Type
A genuine classic , brilliantly programmed, fast moving, exciting and all those things. Also, I've yet to finish it.

Rainbow Islands
A great coin-op and a superb platfrom game... strangely, I've never actually played Bubble Bobble, I bought it recently on the Nintendo in the States and it doesn't play on my English system

New Zealand Story
Another good'un, in fact it is probably more fun than Rainbow Islands. Lovable Kiwis, you can't beat them can you?

Tetris
You've got to say that one don't you? - although i've got it on the Macintosh and it's rubbish. How on Earth do you screw up a perfect game design like that?

Blood Money
I've had to include this, although I thought that maybe it was a bit too difficult. The music is fantastic and it was just a very clever game - very challanging with lots of sorts of hidden problems: there was one stage I remember where suddenly your controls were reversed and you had to play backwards...either that or I had a faulty disk

Shinobi
To be honest, on the Amiga this one really sucks. It's good on the Master System and on the PC Engine, but on the Megadrive, Super Shinobi (as it's called) is one of the best games that I've ever played. Seriously addictive, as is....

Alex Kidd in Wonderland
Or is it Alex Kidd and The Magic Castle? Great either way.

Xenon
Recommended for all the obvious reasons, good smooth gameplay and so on. I had problems with it, it's a tough game but i guess that's what i liked about it. It's one of those game that you get into and then suddenly realise that it's midnight

Truxton
Actually I'm not sure what this one's called either, if it's not Thruxxon it's Tatsujin. Either way, it's probably the best mindless shoot'em up that I've got.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this list has reminded me how much i used to love New Zealand Story. i do now have the PS2 version, so i want to give it a go. i like all the secrets!!!
Edited by RiKo on 05. January 2010 15:08
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
Although not 100% sure I have a vague memory of reading that Jonathon Ross had/has a Neo Geo AES. I just googled it and came across someone else saying the same thing. I wonder what his favourite Neo games are.

As for the list well Rainbow Islands and Alex Kidd are my favourites out of those ones. I used to play Rainbow Islands a lot on the Nes and I plan on getting the SMS version sometime. I assume he means Alex Kidd in Miracle World. Never tried New Zealand Story but I'd really like to.

RiKo
haha he probably does, given how much money he gets!

my fav on the list is prob R-Type (arcade). i used to have Xenon on Amiga but i can't really remember if it was any good ot not. I did prefer New Zealand Story to Rainbow Islands. Apparenly the best version is meant to the PC Engine one also cos it has the original 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow Music'. u are lucky cos you can prob play it on MAME.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
Considering he is such a talentless short tongued wa*ker his list is actually pretty respectable. Defo Shinobi & Rainbow Islands are top 90s games and yes Riko the PCE Rainbow Islands is very good although the sequel Parasol Stars which is a PC/NES exclusive is equally as good. Never really got New Zealand Story although I own it on MD & PCE I always struggled with it.

MD Rainbow Islands is the ultimate version for the fans I recall seeing WOSSY on a games program years ago and he was very passionate about Ghouls n Ghosts on the MD so I was surprised it was not on his list.
Edited by STE C on 05. January 2010 19:22

NeoGeoNinja
Jonathon Ross's top 9 Games in 1990ish

Shinobi
To be honest, on the Amiga this one really sucks. It's good on the Master System and on the PC Engine, but on the Megadrive, Super Shinobi (as it's called) is one of the best games that I've ever played. Seriously addictive, as is....

Truxton
Actually I'm not sure what this one's called either, if it's not Thruxxon it's Tatsujin. Either way, it's probably the best mindless shoot'em up that I've got.

R-Type
A genuine classic , brilliantly programmed, fast moving, exciting and all those things. Also, I've yet to finish it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT CAN I SAY?
he said Revenge of Shinobi is one of the best games he's EVER played. I like how he dissected the quality of the ports of Shinobi as well. he's right the MasterSytem version is awesome - probably the most well rounded, affordable and easily available. PCEngine version 'looks' sick too (but no bonus stages :( )

Points also for the fact he even mentioned BOTH titles for Tatsujin/Truxton, let alone the game at all!! The mention of RType is also commendable, but probably an obvious choice back then. he's not the only person on Earth yet to finish that game, I tell you.

I'll have to get a hold of a pic of JR somehow, and pin it up somewhere, accompanied by a
small note:

'Clue' (has)

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Jump to Forum: