Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: boogiepop
Thread ID: 223
Thread Info
There are 22 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7931 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Sam Sho vs Last Blade
boogiepop
Like the Beatles to the Rolling Stones I've noticed that people generally prefer either one or the other. I'd like to know which of the two series you prefer and why.

Personally, I like the Last Blades more. I like the simple light attack/strong attack/ kick/ deflect system. Nothing seems redundant. Not to mention the sheer presence the games have. They just scream "class" to me. Finally, one of the things that really keeps me away from the Sam Sho series most people will find silly. There's just way too much flash. My eyes are pretty sensitive to light and while I can deal with it on most games, the whole series seems to overuse it to the nth degree.
Anywho, how about the rest of you?

jwm2
Samurai Shodown all the way. I hate the soap opera music in last blade but other then that i can't complain much. I like ss 1,2 and 5, all mainly because of control scheme. The first 2 are my favorite with the first one being alittle more dear to me then the second for some odd reason. Anyhow both are much better than kabuki klash, which i made the mistake of obtaining last week :/

Shiny
That may be too close to call... I love the Last Blade, and game vs game it'd probably win over 1, 3, 5, and Special of the Samurai Shodown games (though I am loving 5 at the mo) but as a whole series I don't know. Firstly imo SS2 is probably the single finest example of a one on one fighter available anywhere for any system. And 4 is pretty spectacular in the looks department, though perhaps not on par with LB. I agree with you boogiepop about the control system in LB there's nothing you don't need and everything you do, it's just about perfect. I was actually thinking - SS vs. LB? Easy! SS. But the more I think about it the harder a choice it is and I think I'm just gonna talk myself in circles...

So I have to say series vs. series: Samurai Shodown. But game vs. game 2 and 4 would be the only SS games that came out on top. Probably.

And jwm2 don't call that a mistake I love Kabuki Klash! Grin
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

sukotsuto
I prefer playing Last Blade over the SamSho series. Why? It's probably because didn't grow up playing SamSho nor having a chance of playing it a our local arcadces (except for that one time) whereas Last Blade has been around for a few years in the arcade I go to.

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com
Midian
Though I really like both of the games, I'll pick the Last Blade as my favorite fighter on the Neo Geo though. The battle system is awesome and I love the music and characters.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

NEo
I LOVE Samurai Shodown for its feel, style and i think this series cept 6 has a Japanese culture feel to it...i mean the backgrounds are jap landscapes and are awsome...i mean look at the derelict temple where you fight basara...tell me a game where you get the same feeling...words are too few when it comes to this series. As for the last blade is cool too, tho i haven't played it much the gfx are awsome with little touches here and there...like the snow falling from the tree when the ground shakes or the falling leafs. This is the stuff that dreams are made of Smile.
Edited by NEo on 26. February 2007 20:24
NEo4LiFE

www.google.com
Circa2113
Best series would be last blade. Samurai Shodown had some dips in quality along the way.
Best game would be SS2 without a doubt.

HexElf
SamSho easily, love all of the characters, love the music, love the moves and love the gameplay. Each SamSho is distinctively different from the last and while the series took a few bumps graphics-wise I feel that it always had top notch design. Even after so many years there are so many characters in the series that are just impossible to compare to anyone else, I mean how about staple character Galford as an example? Who else outside of SamSho has a pet along side them with enough moves of its own to work as seperate character?

I personally feel that Last Blade is overrated as I think it's pretty uneven in some ways. Character animation is great, special effects are not, stages are top notch but I feel the music is completely wrong, some characters look great (Akari and Kaede!) while I think some are very bland (Zantetsu and Rekka whose names I actually had to look up as not to refer to them as "the ninja" and "the monk who does flames" like some do).

That and I think the original game worked a lot better overall than the sequel, surely I am not the only one who thinks so? I mean just look at the now playable Shinnosuke, his hitbox is located so far back on his body that you need to virtually stand on his toes to connect with anything.

All in all SamSho got six parts (1-5 and Tenka) and several spinnoffs (SS64, SS5Special, SS RPG etc tec) while Last Blade had 2 games and a port for the NGP, I am thinking that kinda speaks for itself. If you still like Last Blade over SamSho however I can respect that as I am aware of the fact that I am heavily biased towards SamSho (not just SNK in general haha).

At least Akari and Kaede remain two of my favorite characters in NGBC, their super moves alone makes it worth playing a match or two just to land them.
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
boogiepop
HexElf wrote:
All in all SamSho got six parts (1-5 and Tenka) and several spinnoffs (SS64, SS5Special, SS RPG etc tec) while Last Blade had 2 games and a port for the NGP, I am thinking that kinda speaks for itself.

Actually, in Last Blade's defense, I remember an article in which SNK Playmore said that a Last Blade sequel would not be in the works since they consider the two games perfect as they are. Making a new game now would risk tarnishing that.
That and Sam Sho is quite a bit older.

Jak
boogiepop wrote:
Actually, in Last Blade's defense, I remember an article in which SNK Playmore said that a Last Blade sequel would not be in the works since they consider the two games perfect as they are. Making a new game now would risk tarnishing that.

Then how does that explain Metal Slug 6? LOL

NEo
Hehe i dont think MS6 is THAT bad Pfft
NEo4LiFE

www.google.com
Circa2113
Jak wrote:
boogiepop wrote:

Then how does that explain Metal Slug 6? LOL

Or 4 and 5 for that matter.

boogiepop
Metal Slug, like Sham Sho, is a flagship title. It would be like saying "no new kofs".

Shiny
Last Blade for NGPC rocks! img259.imageshack.us/img259/7889/headbangeruo3.gif
Edited by Shiny on 05. March 2007 22:54
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

hasary
Shin Samurai Spirits for life ! Ninja

fusion24
i get bored before i decide to play samsho and with the last blade i like playing with lee or kaede. all in all the two games are a bit out of my taste but i would go for the last blade better, though i've only really played with my heart, samsho 1 and 5special
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/papikie2001/RockHoward2.gif

deadpixels
The first two Samurai Shodown titles completely dominated my childhood, so I can't deny I'm very partial to them. However, when playing versus games, I greatly enjoy Last Blade more. Samsho is a defensive fighter, sure, as a few attacks can do serious damage to your health meter, but standing back and blocking is much less visceral and involving than the rapid back and forth deflect battles you can have in Last Blade.

Samurai Shodown has a legacy that few series can hold a candle to, but I believe the Last Blade series is the pinnacle of a classic weapons based fighter.

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5727026
Kazuya_UK
Wow how did I forget to reply to this thread? Smile

I'm sure you all know what my preference is by now. I guess for anyone new to the Neo Geo, Last Blade would seem by far the better game, and I suppose technically it is... but as much as I love Last Blade, Samurai Shodown is my favourite, but only because of Samurai Shodown 2. I like/love all the games in the series, but there is just something about SS2 for me. Other than the fact that I used to play it non stop back in the mid-nineties, it just seems like such a perfect game, and one that it is hard to fault in any way at all. I can still play it even now and be impressed with it.

I'll stop rambling anyway, and just say that I love both series, and overall perhaps Last Blade is better, but I still just can't get enough of SS2... Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
boogiepop
Yeah, I'm shocked it took you this long too! LOL

I really wish I could get into Sam Sho. I find a few of those character designs to be superb.

phry
Can a be a bit different and say Ninja Masters? Wink

hmm...SamSho vs Last Blade. Definately too close to call. However, I've only ever played LB since rediscovering the Neo a few years back, whilst SamSho2 is a game I used to play back in the day, so I'll always have a soft spot for that one.

When I first played LB though, I was taken back by the sheer quality of the artwork and the atmosphere of the game. Even when I first played in in 2005, I did think 'this is awesome'.

[small]Ninja Masters had to deserve a mention - It's a great game and one that is so often overlooked, even though SS and LB are better[/small]

Jump to Forum: