Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: redfrog
Thread ID: 2215
Thread Info
There are 14 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4903 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Street Fighter 4 control method
redfrog
I have just started to get into Street Fighter 4 on the PC, but I'm having real trouble using my Joytech gamepad. Can anyone recommend a good gamepad to use? I would love to get an arcade stick for it one day, but the price and the amount of room they take up is putting me off for the moment.

garu21
i use a keyboard redfrog ...thrustmaster is a good brand check it out Dog
[img][/img]

NeoGeoNinja
redfrog wrote:
I have just started to get into Street Fighter 4 on the PC, but I'm having real trouble using my Joytech gamepad. Can anyone recommend a good gamepad to use? I would love to get an arcade stick for it one day, but the price and the amount of room they take up is putting me off for the moment.

I USE ONE (TWO!) OF THESE...
on my PS3 BUT it is designed to work primarily with Mac & PC. I can WHOLE-HEARTEDLY recommend it Thumbs Up

farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/2823870340_76cd88e679_b.jpg

EASILY...
found on eBay and cheap too (well, IMO... especially considering the PlayStation2 variants go for around 100+ each!!!)

Go for it! You won't be disappointed Wink

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
My advice would be to invest in one of these. Works with any PS2 compatible controller (including dance mats if you're into that) and it has zero input lag. As you can see it's incredibly cheap too. If I had paid over $20 for it I would have still been happy with mine.

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
My advice would be to invest in one of these. Works with any PS2 compatible controller (including dance mats if you're into that) and it has zero input lag. As you can see it's incredibly cheap too. If I had paid over $20 for it I would have still been happy with mine.

COOL...
but it ain't a Saturn pad! Pound for pound I'd always use a Saturn pad over any other, especially for fighters like SF4.

(p.s. I actually have that blue USB adaptor. it works alright on PS3 too!)

Ninja

redfrog
Thanks for all the great info!

NeoGeoNinja: I really like the look of the Saturn pad. Just looked on ebay and it looks like I can get one for 15, so i'm very interested. Is the button layout good for Street Fighter 4? It would be interesting to know which buttons are used for low, med and high kick/punch. Also how does the combination of large and small buttons work together?

Reelmojo: Never seen one of those connectors before, they are a great idea. I have a PS2 controller, but have heard that they are not the best for Street Fighter 4.

tony starks
As far as I can remember light/medium/hard punch are the top row of buttons and light/medium/hard kick are the bottom row. The shoulder buttons are normally configured for punch x3 (left hand side) and kick x 3 (right hand side). Ninja will correct me if I am wrong Smile

Get a arcade stick, playing fighters with an arcade stick is orgasmic imo Pfft

Just teasing Grin
Starks is always out

redfrog
Thanks Tony for the info on the buttons. Am I understanding you right when you say the shoulder buttons perform the same action as pressing all three punch or kick buttons at the same time?

NeoGeoNinja
redfrog wrote:
Thanks Tony for the info on the buttons. Am I understanding you right when you say the shoulder buttons perform the same action as pressing all three punch or kick buttons at the same time?

YEAH...
Tony's spot-on. However, the game should let you configure your pad exactly as you want? Pressing 'L' performs the action of LP+MP+HP simultaneously (all 3 punches)
Pressing 'R' performs the action of LK+MK+HK simultaneously (all 3 kicks)

PLUS...
if you do ever decide to invest in a PS3 at some point, it works flawlessly - plug in and play if you will! Sadly, the 360's USB doesn't recognise 3rd party controllers, which is VERY annoying!

Ninja

redfrog
The Saturn pad is definitely the one I'm thinking of getting. Just out of interest, any opinions on this one:

http://www.amazon...amp;sr=8-9

Sorry for being thick, but what do the RB and RT buttons do?

NeoGeoNinja
redfrog wrote:
The Saturn pad is definitely the one I'm thinking of getting. Just out of interest, any opinions on this one:

http://www.amazon...amp;sr=8-9

Sorry for being thick, but what do the RB and RT buttons do?

HEH...
'thick' is just fine Grin A few things then:
1) personally, I have no idea if this is PC compatible, as it's a 360 pad?
2) RB, LB & RT, LT are Left Bumper and Right Bumper & Left Trigger and Right Trigger. Nothing to be concerned about. They can be mapped just as easily as the Saturn Pads buttons.
3) I myself, wouldn't buy this controller. They have a shoddy, hollow, plasticky 3rd party feel to them and the Dpad isn't rooted like the Saturns... It's a 'floating' Dpad. It feels springy and a tad odd.

Still, without you trying both of them, it's hard to tell which you'd prefer. After all, the Saturn pad WAS an official controller for a SEGA console. It's also a highly regarded controller for fighting games too. It will not work with a 360 though. Depends also, on whether you choose to use either pad for similar gaming endeavors in the future on one of the current gaming platforms: 360 or PS3.

If you only plan to use it for your PC gaming (SF4 and maybe some 2DF, GGPO etc.) then I strongly recommend the Saturn pad.

Ninja

tony starks
BigNeoGeoFan wrote:
I play arcade games a lot. I'm used to playing games like SF4 using an 8-Way Joystick. If I don't have a joystick, I'm not playing it. :|

I agree 100 %. Though the Saturn pad is pound for pound the best pad for fighting games imo.
Starks is always out

NeoGeoNinja
tony starks wrote:
I agree 100 %. Though the Saturn pad is pound for pound the best pad for fighting games imo.

BigNeoGeoFan wrote:
I don't know about that. It's so weird to use control pads and such. I'm a pure arcade player. Have been for years. A joystick to me is as natural as breathing. So using a control pad is not an option for me as far as fighting games are concerned.

TONY STARKS...
is right on the money my friend. The Saturn pad is widely acknowledged as the best pad for fighting games usually due to it's 6-button (face button) interface and exceptionally responsive Dpad. I appreciate your opinion is that 'Sticks are superior to Pads' BUT as a statement in it's own right, The Saturn pad is probably (personal preference of course!) the best pad for 2D fighters available.

I'M SIMILAR TO YOURSELF...
but completely the opposite Grin I grew up on a NES onwards, and didn't touch any arcades 'til I was well in my teens (PS1 & Saturn era). At this point I had already cut my 2d Fighting skills on the likes of the MD 6-button, SNES pad, PS1 pad (pre-analog) and the mighty Mk2 Saturn Pad!

When I attempted to play the likes of SFAlpha or XMvsSF in the Arcades I was (frustratingly!) useless. Having all your buttons spread out of instant reach felt completely un-natural to me, as did attempting QC motions etc on a Stick. It felt so primitive. With a pad I had all that control within a thumbs reach... and it was considerably less noisy too!

I never liked sticks back in the day of wide popularity and always felt Pads were the natural progression. I appreciate that amongst the Tournament level hardcore players (or wannabes too!) that the Stick is the only way to go. But alas, it's not for me... and I have tried. I own a helluva lot of sticks across the platforms, but whilst I'm not tragic on one, my execution rate is not acceptable enough (for me) so that I will migrate to stick. I do experiment, but it'll never happen 'full-time'.

HEH...
I have friends like yourself, and perhaps foolishly (and expensively) invested in a HRAP for them to use! Stops all that bitchin' when they get beaten (not necessarily by me!) PLUS, as well as them always having access to the stick, I can also give it a go from time to time - just for fun! It's a kind gesture I guess, but hey... what are friends for, right? Wink

Ninja

tony starks
No doubt, it all depends on how you grew up, whether you mostly hung out in the arcade or at home playing the consoles. I too grew up pretty much the same as Ninja and using a pad was the only way I could play games. Truth be told I only started using sticks properly three years ago when I got my Neo. The fact that I had to use the sticks to play the games was frustrating but also fun, it felt like I was learning to play games all over again. I could of bought the Neo Geo pad but I thought fook it and carried on using the arcade stick. Now I pretty much use a stick for anything 2d. I am not perfect yet but I like the fact that it gives you that sense of being in the arcade, without being there. I tried using a pad the other day and I struggled miserably. All I can say is it's only natural that you would go for what is natural for you whether it be using a pad or a stick Wink

Starks out.
Starks is always out

Jump to Forum: