Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 221
Thread Info
There are 38 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 10722 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The best and worst of Metal Slug
Kazuya_UK
As I mentioned in another thread, I grabbed Slug Anthology for the PSP yesterday, so I have been playing through all the games once again. Anyway, this thread isn't about the PSP version itself, but about Metal Slug in general. What do you think is the best game in the series, and which is the worst? Having been playing MS6 again, it actually struck me that I like that game the least out of all of them. It's not a horrible game, but after the first few stages I start to lose interest a little bit, and by the time I finish it I've pretty much got to the point where I'd rather be playing MSX/MS3 far more. I did like it when I first got the PS2 version, and I'm determined to keep playing it and improve my skills, but playing all the other games as part of this collection really made it stand out how drab MS6 is for the most part (at least to me).

So, how do you guys rate all the games in the series? I'd probably put them in the following order, best to worst:

Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 2/X (will count them as one game)
Metal Slug 1
Metal Slug 5
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 6

I almost prefer 2/X because I prefer shooting soldiers to mutant crabs and aliens, and I think the progression from humans to aliens, and then a very funny end sequence, was handled just right in 2/X. 3 is the best overall though because it is so much fun to play and all the different routes give it so much replay value! I rate Metal Slug 1 quite highly too, because it is where it all started and I have always been able to go back and play that game again and again without getting bored. It's also the only MS game that I have one-credited. It's still an absolute classic. Smile

I just about rate 5 over 4, because to me it's a much more polished game, but like I said in the review there are things that 4 does better, even if it is just a cut and paste job from older Slugs for the most part. If they had kept the best things in 4 when they made 5 and perhaps made it a bit longer, MS5 would have been a winner, but as it is it's a cool game that could have been better. 6 is at the bottom for the reasons I said above. My opinion may change the more I play it, but we'll see.

What do you guys/gals think?

Kaz
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 24. February 2007 12:33
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Shiny
For me...

MS3
MS1
MS4
MS2/X
MS5/6

Imo MS3 is the best in the series no question, it just does everything right. I remember once telling someone it was the greatest 2D shooter ever made... Of course that was before I played Shock Troopers. MS1 will always hold a special place being the only one I remember playing in an arcade so it's position in that list probably has a lot do with nostalgia. Maybe I'm not being as objective as I should be seeing as how I only just got a copy of MS4 but I've been playing it to death and I do (at the moment) prefer it to 2 or X. 5 and 6 I've never played.

MS2 for NGPC and MSAdvance should probably be in the list somewhere too though not sure where.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

candycab
I think after spending time with all of them in one fashion or another [ MVS/Rage ] I think what feels the best is X, but Im really biased toward the origional Slug since even after all the sequels it still feels like it should have to begin with and has just the right amount of humor and gameplay. Alot of the others can feel more like an extension of the origional game versus having their own identity as a game.

All in all I would say there is no such thing as a bad Metal Slug game, some are just more memorable than others Wink
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Sonicfoot
This is a difficult one. Metal Slug 3 is proberly at the top of my list, Metal Slug 4 is proberly my least favorite of the Metal Slug games Ive played.
Metal Slug 5 holds an odd position to me in that it was a slug game that I found really enjoyable since MS3, but at the same time its a title that could have been so much more had they spent some more time on it, epecially with the news that came afterwards that it wasnt exactly a "complete" game so to speak.
I havnt played MS6 yet unfortunately...

Raiken
3 is king for me. After that probably 5 and all the others rank about the same.
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

sukotsuto
Here are my faves:

Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 5
Metal Slug 4

Haven't played 6 yet.

MS3 deserves the title of the best of the Metal Slugs, and the original gives me a warm fuzzy, nostalgic feeling inside.

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com
xplics
I love the GREAT metal slug series and can not wait to pick the what seems to be very excellent metal slug psp game.
LONG LIVE SNK

candycab
xplics wrote:
I love the GREAT metal slug series and can not wait to pick the what seems to be very excellent metal slug psp game.

Slug will always be one of those must own game sagas Grin

Bye the way .... Welcome to the forums dude ! Grin
Edited by candycab on 03. March 2007 06:50
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Jak
I agree with most of you guys.

Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 2/X
Metal Slug 5 (Slug Mecha levels are the tops)
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 6

I thought the NGPC and GBA games were pretty mediocre to be honest.

NEo
MS3 - shows was done by the good ol SNK b4 they went on the bankrupcy hiatus...they wanted to cram everything in this game as they were feeling the end was near and its a hell of a game, #1 for me...after this comes MS2 cuz is the first ms i played. Me and my buds played the hell of this in the arcades, wasting all out money on it and i don't regret it even a bit Smile (oh the good times). Next is MS1, the ORIGINAL period...Next must be ms 5 i see it as an average title...SNKP have squeezed everyting out of the series and it shows no big improvements like 3 shows....MS4 is fun but like Kaz said about MS6 it gets boring quick....MS6 again is a mix of ms4 and 5...The series needs a major overhaul in gameplay to bring something new but i don't know what more is there to add...oh well...lets wait for MS7 and see what SNKP is doing with the franchise...SLUG ON Cool
NEo4LiFE

www.google.com
sotenga
Ooh, but I just LOVE Metal Slug. If you don't have the MS Anthology yet (I advise the PS2 version), then run out right now and snag it! My favorites from top to bottom would hafta be:

2/X

MS3 is one of the greatest action titles ever, enough said. MSX pretty much makes MS2 obsolete, so I thought I'd post them side-by-side, but anyway you slice it, they both rule. The original still holds up surprisingly well about a decade later, and I just love how the original in any series is still among the best. I don't think I have to explain my position on any of these. Grin

As for 6... doesn't seem to be a whole lot of MS6 love on this board, and it's certainly nowhere near as awesome as the "Original SNK Trilogy" (a label I use loosely because the release of X doesn't quite make it a trilogy), but it's still a fine action title. Honestly, simply on the premise of finally giving each character their individual strengths, it wins quite a lot of points for me. Also, I think the game design itself is mostly tops... right until the grudgingly painful last level, which is where it starts to deteriorate. Seriously, I could have done without that drilling part, and much of the level is just so vicious that it kinda sucks a bit of fun out of things. Even worse is that the stage itself is much harder than the final boss, who would have been an earth-shaking challenge if not for the gracious Bronze Slug Tank you're given for the fight. The final level is a disappointment in retrospect, but other than that, I still think MS6 holds up very well.

I would rank 5 higher, but the fact that quite a bit of stuff was cut out of it still miffs me. However, it's still a very solid action title, even if it does feel like it's shorter than it should be. Like MS6, I think it petered out a bit at the final level, although not nearly as much to the degree of MS6's last stage. However, I still rank it lower than MS6 because it just felt like so much more could have been done to it somehow, and so much more WOULD have been done to it if SNKP weren't so eager to get it out.

And after all this, I believe that MS4 is the worst for having some of the blandest enemy and stage designs (some of which are blatantly recycled... seriously, much of stage 4 from the first MS is used for parts in stages 2 and 4 of this game), not to mention some extremely cheap deaths that make it feel more like a quarter-muncher than it should be. Regardless, the worst MS game is still a better title than at least 70% of all games out there, so it has that going for it. Pfft
Edited by sotenga on 02. October 2007 02:06

aroboto
In my opinion:

X

I'm actually probably one of the few who loves MS6 for its gameplay changes and the fact that they finally made every single character different. Gives it more replay value, IMHO. It was getting kinda stale with everyone having pretty much the same exact movements. MS6 eradicated that very well.

Keep in mind I love every Metal Slug game released for different reasons (1 for nostalgia, 5 for level design, etc.) but nothing will ever really beat 2 for me. It's probably because that game had pretty much the perfect balance for that type of game. X was even better, but I still somehow prefer 2. Not sure why.

Flik
Why does everybody rate 3 so high? I haven't played all of the slugs yet but my rating:

X (2)

I'll get into the later games soon enough. But to me, 3 is way too long for it's own good, during the last levels you kind sick of dying all the time and you just wish for the game to end. I know that I should play it more and get better but for me it doesn't have an ideal length of an action-game like Metal Slug, like the first two games does. 3 is still great though, especially graphically, but gameplay-wise it's not top notch.

Mikoto
I have to agree with flik. The only reason it doesn't get the bottom place on my list is because of 5 and 2(2 because of the awful programming, otherwise the game is quite nice). Still havn't played MS6 though.

Metal Slug
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 5

I would live perfectly happy with only the original though.

Goemon
Bah! How did i miss this thread.

1 (nostalgia baby!)
X
6 (I agree Kaz)
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

Midian
3/1 are in my opinion both awesome and I won't pick any favorites
2/X
The GBA one
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

merlin
So far I have only bought Metal Slug 1, 2 and 3 but have 'tried out' X, 4 and 5. I love 2 and 3 but for some reason my favourite is the first game in the series. It may be shorter but I like the design of the levels and never really get bored of it. I do think that 4 and 5 though not the best in the series are underrated and are enjoyable to play.

rezabrando
I played all of them merlin but my favorite is metal slug 2, I do love metal slug 1 as a second and metal slug 3 as a third choice, and you right 4 and 5 are not the same feel. I actullay hate them and if I want choose between the this two title, I choose 4 becaz I like it more than 5, I don't know why but this is my personal feeling! Wink
Edited by rezabrando on 03. October 2007 20:56
Act like a man!

NEO GEO DRAGON
MS1
MSX
MS3

M-Kof
My list :

1)MS 3
2)MS 6
3)MS 2/X
4)MS
5)MS 5
6)MS 4

I haven't played MS 7 yet. So i can't give a rating for it.

Jump to Forum: