Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Kurisu
Thread ID: 2198
Thread Info
There are 10 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2816 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Double Dragon
Kurisu
Picked this up for Jap AES yesterday not expecting much. Bought it as I haven't seen it for sale that often, and since our parents died, have an attitude of "if you see it, get it, it might not be there tomorrow". Have to say, pleasantly surprised. Solid little 2D fighter, nothing spectacular, but very colourful and arcadey. Also has a great attract mode where two dragons twist and combine to form the words Double Dragon. Accepting that it's not the side scrolling Double Dragon we all know and love, what do others think? The reviews I have read have given it 7/10 which is quite respectable.
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

Powerwave
hey kurisa sorry to hear about ure parents.

as for double dragon i too own this game, it does have some very unique points that makes it a bit quirky and obscure, but for some reason theres something that detracts me. im not sure what it is exactly i cant put my finger on it. i think i should maybe replay this one and see if i still feel the same.
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

RiKo
I think its ok. You really need to watch the film to get the whole experience LOL

Its not a bad fighter, i haven't really devoted enough time to it to actually figure out its intricacies though. Thats the problem tho cos i always want to play Breakers or KOF instead
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
Nice purchase Kurisu. A pretty good fighting game I think. Looks good and plays pretty well. The intro is quite impressive I agree. It might seem really insignificant but one thing that wasn't so good about this game are the punch/kick sound effects. They sound really weak compared to other Neo fighters. I do like this game though and might possibly consider getting an AES copy myself one day. I know I'm definitely in the minority on this but I do prefer the second Neo Geo fighting game by Technos.

Yes RiKo the film is undoubtedly a classic. Truly a landmark in modern cinema.

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
... I know I'm definitely in the minority on this but I do prefer the second Neo Geo fighting game by Technos.

NO DOUBT!
We agree on many things Merlin, but Gowcaizer??! Sheesh!
One of the worst fighters on NGeo IMO.

However, I do respect that you like this game. even though I don't I also feel similar sentiments towards games others hate. I usually know that it's a bad game though. I just can't help it though. Sometimes, regardless of the flaws, I accept them and thus enjoy a hated game Grin

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
I definitely think the vast majority of people would agree with you Ninja about Gowcaizer. I'd never say it's one of the top fighters on the Neo or anything but I genuinely find it really fun to play. The character designs really appeal to me (especially Karin) and I like the whole idea of being able to use a special move from a defeated opponent. People tend to complain about the speed of the game but I really don't think it's all that slow. I don't know which version you tried Ninja but I did hear the PS1 version was a really bad port.

STE C
I think Double Dragon is fun , its a game of its time but has some pretty graphics and plays ok

TLO
merlin wrote: I like the whole idea of being able to use a special move from a defeated opponent.

I didn't know that!! that sounds quite interesting. I played the game liked the figures, graphics and music, but I wasn't pleased with the game because it didn't have any super/special moves.. tell us some more about Gowcaizer's move jacking, it sounds fun.

Double Dragon is a ok'ish game, nothing special but quite fine for a some short bursts, I would defiantly also pick it up for AES if I had the chance..
Edited by TLO on 16. December 2009 16:09

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
I don't know which version you tried Ninja but I did hear the PS1 version was a really bad port.

I PLAYED THE AES...
version via emulation. It ran perfectly without any issues. Didn't know it had come out on PS1. Will check out a video at some point. I know DDragon came out on PS1 too and was also a somewhat lackluster effort.

Hell knows why they weren't released on Saturn as well. Theyd've been much better ports.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
TLO wrote:
I played the game liked the figures, graphics and music, but I wasn't pleased with the game because it didn't have any super/special moves.. tell us some more about Gowcaizer's move jacking, it sounds fun.

Aside from the regular special moves the characters all have some quite impressive desperation moves. As for gaining the moves well at the end of every match you get the chance to gain one of the opponent's special moves. You can only have one of these moves at a time though but you can always swap it with another one later on. If you win a mirror match you can get the chance to gain an enhanced version of one of your own moves.

The Ninja wrote:
I PLAYED THE AES...
version via emulation. It ran perfectly without any issues. Didn't know it had come out on PS1. Will check out a video at some point. I know DDragon came out on PS1 too and was also a somewhat lackluster effort.

I've heard it's a pretty rare game. Supposedly it suffers from quite bad slowdown and also for some strange reason they actually changed quite a few of the commands for the special moves so they're performed differently from in the original arcade version. The anime intro is nice in the PS1 version though.

Jump to Forum: