Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NeoGeoNinja
Thread ID: 2175
Thread Info
There are 37 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8959 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
SONIC or MARIO? (8/16bit only)
Sonic (MS: 1,2 and MD:1,2,3,S&K,S-CD) Sonic (MS: 1,2 and MD:1,2,3,S&K,S-CD) 54%[13 Votes]
Mario (NES: 1,2,3 and SNES: SMW & SMW2) Mario (NES: 1,2,3 and SNES: SMW & SMW2) 46%[11 Votes]
Total Votes : 24
 Print Thread
SONIC or MARIO? (8/16bit only)
NeoGeoNinja
DIFFICULT? MAYBE...
but who floats/floated your boat more back in the day? Or who indeed floats it more now?

AS A 'KID'...
I was a NES & SNES guy myself. I had the SMS & MD too, but ended up swapping them in the end for other consoles (indeed, my MD for a SNES).

I was (still am) a big fan of SMBros 1&3 on NES, but (unlike 'Mojo!) didn't really get on with 2. I think perhaps today, I'd feel differently an appreciate it's diverse angle moreso now. I eventually got SMWorld on the SNES BUT it just didn't click with me like the old NES versions did. EVEN though I could tell it was an amazing game, we just never got on. As for SMW2... I missed the boat completely.

SO WHAT ABOUT SONIC?
Well I myself used to love Sonic 1 & 2 on the Master System. I'd say, due to how different they were from they're MD brethren that they're still well worthy of mention. I ACTUALLY prefer Sonic 1 on the MasterSystem myself to the MD version! As for Sonic 2? They're BOTH great games in their own right and completely different to one another.

I really think Sonic 2 & 3 especially are fantastic games, not forgetting Sonic & Knuckles. I mean, how cool 'a' concept was that??! Plug your age old Sonic 1 into S7K and you can play through it again with a new character!!! An entirely new game plus added replayabilty for the MD Sonic series. Genius.

SO WHO'S THE FAVOURITE?...
for me it's Sonic. I can quite honestly say that, as platform games go the Mario series is pretty unbeatable AND as games, the Mario series is BETTER than Sonic IMO. But I enjoy Sonic on the whole a LOT more. I prefer the character, I prefer the cast characters, the music, the worlds and level designs and level concepts... just the whole thing! Mario as a game is better, sure... but he SUCKS and so do his little friends. I appreciate it's all iconic and all (and all the Mario universe elements are pretty damn iconic) but I just don't like it as much as Sonic. I just never got on as well with the cutesy factor of Mario games.

It's NOT an easy choice to make, but TODAY I would much rather play a Sonic on my MD than a Mario on (inc.SMAStars) on the SNES.

SONIC FTW Thumbs Up

Ninja

(p.s. I haven't mentioned the 3D games because I never liked them. Even when PPL were raving about Sonic on DC... I played it and thought it was - at face value - just shit. As for Mario 64? Regardless of it's high critical acclaim, I never liked it and, most importantly, didn't enjoy it. Sonic & Mario's golden era was at the end of the 16-bit era for me. The end... I said THE end. Ok, Ok! I admit it. I do fancy playing SMBWii. It looks like a return to form! maybe one day...)
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Shiny
Mario, unquestionably.

Sonic 1 and 2 were great (MD and SMS), everything else has been supremely average lazy paint-by-numbers brand over content platform action up until the DS game, which is so good it makes me weep slightly with childlike joy.

Mario, on the other hand, possibly the very definition of platforming genius. 3D Mario sucks ass but the old 8/16 bit games really are a masterclass in gaming.

Powerwave
im alll about sonic in terms of 2d 16bit platforming, i never got on with the mario platformers.

sonic 3 has to be my fave sonic ive played.

i think however mario has better quality control over its releases, im a big fan of all the spin offs like mario kart, tennis, smash bros. sonic on the other hand went downhill for me after the MD releases and it was only in sonic rush for the DS that it made a huge come back. man that game was awesome.
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

cthulhu
I started out with the NES with my first game being Super Mario Brothers, after a couple of years I moved on to the Megadrive and of course my first game was Sonic the Hedgehog...I was blown away by that game and still love it today...my favorite Sonic games are Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 2 and Sonic Spinball. Although I liked Super Mario, I really hated Super Mario 2 especially the ending...Super Mario 3 was okay, but not great...I never had a thing for Italian Plumbers with Beer Bellies.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Mr Vengeance
I grew up playing Mario - Sonic is great too, but Mario just inches for me Grin

STE C
Tricky as I have always been a Sega man but no Sonic game seems to have the scale and depth of Super Marion World on the SNES. Sonic 2 was very good I recall my gf at the time loved it. I will vote Sonic as the other Mario games did not do a lot for me but its probably not a fair vote from me as I was never a die hard platfomer fan.

Tell a lie to the above I absolutely love the Pc Kid games on Pc engine and consider them to be better than Sonic or Mario.

Shiny
STE C wrote:
I absolutely love the Pc Kid games on Pc engine

Oh yes, PC Kid 2 is the shit. Better games? On a par with Sonic I'd say, but not Mario.

I prefer PC Kid to both (I like Hudson's style) but that fat Italian plumber's adventures are superior games in every single way, on such a different level it's almost like Nintendo are dealing in a different currency. Honestly, people voting Sonic over Mario has me scratching my brow in a high-pitched "really??" kinda way... The Sonic games, like PC Kid, are good platformers but the Mario games are some of the greatest games ever made. There really is no comparison.

NeoGeoNinja
Shiny wrote:
Honestly, people voting Sonic over Mario has me scratching my brow in a high-pitched "really??" kinda way... The Sonic games, like PC Kid, are good platformers but the Mario games are some of the greatest games ever made. There really is no comparison.

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
for me it's Sonic. I can quite honestly say that, as platform games go the Mario series is pretty unbeatable AND as games, the Mario series is BETTER than Sonic IMO. But I enjoy Sonic on the whole a LOT more. I prefer the character, I prefer the cast characters, the music, the worlds and level designs and level concepts... just the whole thing! Mario as a game is better, sure... but he SUCKS and so do his little friends. I appreciate it's all iconic and all (and all the Mario universe elements are pretty damn iconic) but I just don't like it as much as Sonic. I just never got on as well with the cutesy factor of Mario games.

YEP...
I couldn't be bothered going over old ground but here are MY personal reasons (as stated in the first post). To simply re-cap, I guess, for me it's not simply a case of liking what is best, but what YOU find most enjoyable.

To SNK it up, I guess a good example is the old Fatal Fury & SFighter 2 argument. No doubt SF2 was ACTUALLY better than Fatal Fury but many people (here) preferred Fatal Fury even though it's, basically, not as good.

I hope my angle at least, makes sense.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
Definitely Mario for me. The Sonic games are really good fun with nice graphics but the 8 bit/16 bit Mario games were far more enjoyable for me. I put a huge number of hours into Mario 3 and Super Mario World. Two of the best platform games ever made if you ask me although I still love Mario 1/2 as well.

RiKo
I was always a Mario man in my youth. The first game i actualy owned was Super Mario World which i completed (like everyone else!!). i would say that i prefered the simpler gameplay of Super Mario Bros 1 and Super Mario Land though. I def agree with Ninja on that. Super Mario World was over-strecthing what Mario had to offer almost turning it into a bloated adventure. I can honestly say the thought of returning to that game now makes me a bit sick. i did enjoy it at the time thoug, but i would much rather play Mario 1. I also want to say that Nintendo sucks bigtime cos they can't improve on Super Mario Kart on the Snes!! in fact they seem to make worse versions.

I disagree with Shiny about BC Kid being as good as Sonic. no way!! also the BC Kid on SNES sucks a bit, but the PC Engine ones were good. just not as good as sonic.

One of the games that i think is actually proper art is Sonic 1 on the Megadrive. Its beautiful, abstract, fast, vivid and very playable, and has great music. I still want to play this game now. I am definitely a Sonic man now. I used to think Sonic had much shallower gameplay but it a lot deeper than you first realise (like all Sega games in fact)

is very funny that a hedgehog and a plumber are the best video game characters ever!

btw does anyone else think that Sonic is ripped off Mickey Mouse?
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Shiny
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Shiny wrote:
Honestly, people voting Sonic over Mario has me scratching my brow in a high-pitched "really??" kinda way... The Sonic games, like PC Kid, are good platformers but the Mario games are some of the greatest games ever made. There really is no comparison.

NeoGeoNinja wrote:

YEP...
I couldn't be bothered going over old ground but here are MY personal reasons (as stated in the first post). To simply re-cap, I guess, for me it's not simply a case of liking what is best, but what YOU find most enjoyable.

To SNK it up, I guess a good example is the old Fatal Fury & SFighter 2 argument. No doubt SF2 was ACTUALLY better than Fatal Fury but many people (here) preferred Fatal Fury even though it's, basically, not as good.

I hope my angle at least, makes sense.

Ninja

Oh I get it, it's just a bit of a noodle scratcher. In both cases.

tony starks
NeoGeoNinja wrote:

Ninja

See words in bold Pfft
Starks is always out

Wild Tengu
NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING!

www.gamesetwatch.com/bubsy.jpg

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
tony starks
LOL
Starks is always out

RiKo
lol at Busby the bobcat. lets not forget the Sonic pretender Zool 'the alien from the nth dimension' either. lol

OMG its a draw 5 votes each - someone else VOTE NOW!!!
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Powerwave
that game called ristar to me looks alot like sonic.

does anyone know i ristar is any good???

Shiny
Powerwave wrote:
that game called ristar to me looks alot like sonic.

does anyone know i ristar is any good???

Awesome game. It's a shame Ristar never got the sequels it deserves. It's similar to Sonic, mostly due to being made by Sonic Team, but it's actually far better than any of Sonic's outings. Possibly except Sonic Rush on the DS... Once again, whatagame.

Powerwave
cool cool i saw it on youtube i thought it looked real fun i like the idea of the stretching arms

reelmojo
I just voted for Sonic and tied the score back up to 6 votes each.

If it were 8 bit only Mario would be the clear winner, although I do like Sonic 1 and 2 on Master System. Also Sonic Chaos is amazing, but Mario 3 is one of the best games ever and Mario 2 is one of my personal favorite games of all time.

On the other hand, if it were 16 bit only Sonic would be the clear winner. It's simple really... five games to two. SMW and Yoshi's Island are both absolute classics, but the Genesis Sonic games are just as good if not better.

But combine 8 and 16 bit and then it's just personal choice. For me, I just have to go with Sonic. Luckily you didn't mention Spinball in the poll or I might have went the other way. Oh, and although it's completely different I still feel 3D Blast is a great isometric platformer.

skytraveler
Mario, although I wasn't really into the Mario games much after 2 and 3. I'd have preferred that they'd kept the series more arcade style rather than have saves and such with SMW and later. It's sort of a shaking middle-ground for me. I either like something that I can beat, or try to beat, in approximately an hour, starting from scratch each time or a much more elaborate adventure like in Zelda or an RPG. Episodic platforming escapades don't do it for me.

Ristar is awesome although I'd say its feel is pretty equidistant to both Sonic and Mario. I never got a very good hang of the pole launching.

Jump to Forum: