Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: STE C
Thread ID: 2173
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3136 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Its a shit game that had a big budget but I like it
STE C
Ok something similar may have been done in the past but I am interested in what games have you guys really enjoyed despite the fact that the gaming press and everybody else considers the game to be shit or mediocre with terrible reviews and reputation.

Mine are

DAIKATANA , aha this was supposed to be John DOOM Romeros shit hot FPS that was gonna change the world but turned up 3 years late to low sales and scathing reviews ( mainly due to the fact that like Duke Nukem forever it became the butt of online jokes.
John Romero still stands by the game that screwed his reputation and I stand by him , get past the awful first few levels of shooting robotic crocodiles and frogs the game actually becomes a fun but flawed FPS with huge levels of ambition that were misunderstood by the gaming world. The overdone graphics with shiny unnecessary lighting effects everywhere added to the appeal that this game started off with good intentions but lost its way.
The third episode set in Viking Norway and the final set in Future LA were unfortunately only seen by the persistant few ( me being one ). It turned into an epic FPS which I cant fucking play anymore as it keeps crashing on Windows XP.

Viking Battle For Asgard

released last year for PS3/360 and whilst did not receive awful reviews the gaming press gave it a frosty reception . It was also hyped a bit and the budget was very big but unfortunately it sold very poorly costing publishers Sega a major headache.
I loved it , in fact I enjoyed it more than Fable 2 ( the graphics were defo better) and the violent combat was satisfying. I like to call it Grand Theft Viking as it involves doing little missions and jobs for other clans ect.
The large scale siege battles are beautiful to watch , I really have not seen a game since with this level; of on screen mayhem. It also has beautiful islands to explore ( and I love game exploring). Im currently playing this game at the mo.

thats all for now im typing this at work.

RiKo
Hi Ste, nice idea for a topic. I think Daikatana was very much a victim of its own hype. some games are hyped so much they just can't live up to it even if they are still good games + they get bad reviews.

i really liked the look of that Viking game, i was going to buy it, but not been playing many games recently. its prob dead cheap by now too!

For me :

Driver 3

absolutely slated in the press and i believe it was released into shops before review code was made available. it was one of the games which came with my second-hand PS2 and i only played it recently, but i had great fun in free-drive mode burning round the city, maybe more fun than in parallel lines (the next game in the series). def a victim of hype, prob not in any way a great game but not as bad as they say. the review i read gave it 3/10

Shenmue - was an absolutley amazing game, but again Sega hyped it so much as the game 'where you could go anyway and interact with every object' that people were disappointed when you didn't have as much freedom as they were expecting. I watched people give up in the GAME shop near me when it wouldn't let them leave the first area without speaking to certain people first. It did get good reviews but not the ones it deserved (except in single-format mags) . They tended to focus on what it didn;t do rather than what it did (complete Virtua-Fighter engine for battling multiple oponents, a living environment where everyone has their own routine, working arcades, full weather system, masses of speech + bird song etc etc)
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
RiKo
Assasins Creed too was pretty incredible for the engine and the way Altar moves around the environment - was revolutionary really but again its own hype produced overly negative reviews - it wasn't as bad as some of them would of had you believe.
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
AH YES... DAIKATANA!

I have this on the N64, I really enjoyed it too... but it wasn't great though. That standard weapon is shocking!

ANYWAY...
I really enjoyed it up until the point I could never get past because I got stuck. In a snow-ridden village there is a church (I think?) and you have to play a piece of music on the organ/piano... but I could never figure out what it was or how to do it! Otherwise, I enjoyed the game up until that point.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Mr Vengeance
I actually thought Mission: Impossible was pretty good on the N64 back in the day.... but then I did receive it as a gift and I was a young 'un Smile

Powerwave
hmmm as akid i didnt have too much taste in games. i sort of liked rise of the robots but only because of the music. the gameplay sucked even for a kid without taste. oooohhh i know one game that i liked that was very slated was crypt killer
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

merlin
Nice thread STE. Other than Assassin's Creed I've not played any of the other games mentioned.

I had to think about this for a while but a game I've always kind of had a soft spot for is Fantasia on the Mega Drive. I know it's far from perfect and it got some really bad reviews but I loved the graphics and music. There's just something a bit special about the game. The collision detection was pretty bad though and made the gameplay quite frustrating but I still always enjoyed it.

Also I actually quite enjoyed Last Battle on the Mega Drive for some reason even though it's definitely not a great game.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
Also I actually quite enjoyed Last Battle on the Mega Drive for some reason even though it's definitely not a great game.

THERE'S GOOD REASON...
the reason is that Last Battle is in fact the Western localised version of...

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DZ3ABY2TL._SL500.jpg

THE GREATEST...
character EVER in the history of the world (my ACTUAL hero... this guy is simply awesome!) and my favourite anime ever too!

AFTER ALL...
who doesn't want to take ANY opportunity to take the role of Kenshiro??!!

Ninja

STE C
NeoGeoNinja wrote:

ANYWAY...
I really enjoyed it up until the point I could never get past because I got stuck. In a snow-ridden village there is a church (I think?) and you have to play a piece of music on the organ/piano... but I could never figure out what it was or how to do it! Otherwise, I enjoyed the game up until that point.

Ninja

Yes I recall that bit I also had the N64 version before I owned a PC that bit got me as well and this was in the days when you couldn't just look it up on the net

merlin
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
THERE'S GOOD REASON...

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DZ3ABY2TL._SL500.jpg

THE GREATEST...
character EVER in the history of the world (my ACTUAL hero... this guy is simply awesome!) and my favourite anime ever too!

AFTER ALL...
who doesn't want to take ANY opportunity to take the role of Kenshiro??!!

Ninja

That's interesting I never realised that Ninja. Yes playing as Kenshiro is always pretty cool. I love using him in Hokuto No Ken. Not really that into anime that much to be honest (perhaps a bit like you?) but I've got to admit I do enjoy Fist of the North Star quite a lot. The gameplay in Last Battle definitely wasn't great but I liked the variety between the stages and the music was nice too.
Edited by merlin on 06. December 2009 17:22
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

tony starks
I can't remember, I need to check but Ninja is right on the money. The PS2 jpn port of Hokuto No Ken has all the games that were released in the franchise on a bonus dvd only available on the 1st print jpn port of HNK. Yeah Ninja HNK is my favourite anime series also. Kenshiro is great to use, I also like Rei, Souther, Roah, Toki, infact I like using everbody in that game.
Edited by tony starks on 07. December 2009 00:19
Starks is always out

cthulhu
You Wa Shock!!!
i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/rot_in_pieces/gifani2.gif

Kenshiro rules. Hokuto No Ken is one of my favorite fighting games and I absolutely love the movie...I even have a animation cell from it with Bat and Lin in their buggy being attacked by bikers.
My arcade crap

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

bojan4o
well at the time i played the game i really liked it and enjoy it and i know if i play it again i will like it (at least i finished the whole game)
but now when i look up some comments on youtube they all say that this game is shit the movie is better even this game was listed as worst movie based games in the top ten but i really enjoyed it lol i am going bla bla bla
any way the game is well just look at the video
YouTube Video

2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

NeoGeoNinja
bojan4o wrote:
well at the time i played the game i really liked it and enjoy it and i know if i play it again i will like it (at least i finished the whole game)
but now when i look up some comments on youtube they all say that this game is shit the movie is better even this game was listed as worst movie based games in the top ten but i really enjoyed it lol i am going bla bla bla
any way the game is well just look at the video

YEP, ULTIMATELY...
what you think and how you feel about a game counts most, regardless of what others say or tell you (within reason though!).

BAD BOYS 2 - THE GAME...
looks super-average to me BUT it doesn't look all that bad IMO. Just one of many. Not sure what makes this any worse than most of the other 'good' games out there. Looks 'fine' to me.

Ninja

TLO
Great to see so many Fist of The North star love up in this mother!!

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
THERE'S GOOD REASON...

Also, in Last Battle the gore was censured no exploding head/body bloody glory, like the JPN HNK version has..

Sorry guys all this YT spam, couldn't help myself, just love this track
YouTube Video

Edited by TLO on 14. December 2009 03:02

HexElf
Kenshiro - the ultimate combination of the Hulk, Bruce Lee and Jesus. I recently got back into the series myself after discovering several animated movies that I had been unaware of. Head exploding action is the best kind of action! XD

On topic though, hmmm, does Mortal Kombat Mythologies feat Sub Zero count? I played that one far too many times.
Edited by HexElf on 14. December 2009 14:17
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
NeoGeoNinja
HexElf wrote:
On topic though, hmmm, does Mortal Kombat Mythologies feat Sub Zero count? I played that one far too many times.

WELL, FOR ONE...
it was definitely an absolute shit game! But, did it have a big budget? I have no idea??

Ninja

Raiken
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
HexElf wrote:

WELL, FOR ONE...
it was definitely an absolute shit game! But, did it have a big budget? I have no idea??

Ninja

I actually enjoyed that game a lot myself. The acting was hilariously bad.
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

Powerwave
i do play alot of wrestling games that i think most critics would write off as trash, but i think its that im a fan of wrestling that makes me like playing them more
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

NeoGeoNinja
Powerwave wrote:
i do play alot of wrestling games that i think most critics would write off as trash, but i think its that im a fan of wrestling that makes me like playing them more

YEAAAAH...
I never got the wrestling games thing, I mean, they're all pretty shit really, aren't they? No doubt there are several factors which contribute to ones enjoyment had from such titles BUT for someone who enjoys playing fighting games on the whole, they're pretty shabby.

Said factors would obviously include being a wrestling fan and also perhaps NOT being a 'conventional' fighting game fan. I've tried them before with friends but they're so clumsy, it hurts. I'll just stick with the Muscle Bomber series instead, after all, you can't go wrong! Mike Haggar, Capcom Developed, Tetsuo Hara artwork... win win win Thumbs Up

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 17. December 2009 01:42

Jump to Forum: