Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 2170
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 10779 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Best new fighting game of 2009?
Street Fighter IV Street Fighter IV 40%[6 Votes]
King of Fighters XII King of Fighters XII 13%[2 Votes]
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger 20%[3 Votes]
Fate/Unlimited Codes Fate/Unlimited Codes 0%[0 Votes]
Tekken 6 Tekken 6 20%[3 Votes]
King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match 7%[1 Vote]
Melty Blood: Actress Again Melty Blood: Actress Again 0%[0 Votes]
Suggoi! Arcana Heart 2 Suggoi! Arcana Heart 2 0%[0 Votes]
Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny 0%[0 Votes]
Sunday X Magazine: Shuuketsu! Choujou Daikessen Sunday X Magazine: Shuuketsu! Choujou Daikessen 0%[0 Votes]
Other Other 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 15
 Print Thread
Best new fighting game of 2009?
reelmojo
The best year for fighting game fans since 1998 is finally coming to a close so it's time for our final verdicts. Which one do you think is the best? The poll should cover every game that saw it's first home release in 2009. Games released in 2008 in one region, and 2009 in another are not included, which sadly leaves out Battle Fantasia and KoF '98UM. And before anyone asks, Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom was released in December 2008 and the UAS version won't be released until Januray 2010, so it just missed the cut too. Hey, there's a reason I included "other" as an option in the poll. I think I covered every official release of 2009, so if I missed an important one let me know and I'll add it to the poll (you can edit polls, right?).

My choice:

BlazBlue

For me, Arc System Works came out of nowhere with this one. I was never a big Guilty Gear fan at all, and I absolutely love Battle Fantasia but that's clearly a very different play style. Somehow in this game, everything just clicked perfectly. The gorgeous HD graphics and extremely flashy visuals make sure beginners (like me) have fun right away, as does the over the top gameplay. The key to this though is that there is a huge amount of depth underneath all that flash. I'm still learning new tactics, even with Jin who has been my main since release day. And most importantly, I'm still enjoying every match. Whether I'm getting my ass handed to me online by a pro, beating the crap out of a newbie, or fighting a close match with someone closer to my skill level it's all amazingly fun. It doesn't quite have the single player options of SFIV, but what does? There's still plenty to do from a detailed story mode to a super difficult score attack mode. I also can't move on without mentioning the soundtrack. Some GG fans think it's isn't quite as good as Daisuke Ishiwatari's earlier work, but I disagree. Even if I wasn't always a GG fan, I've always loved the soundtracks, but for BlazBlue he took it to another level. Thank God a 2 disc soundtrack came with the game!

Second Place for me is King of Fighters XII. I love the actual gameplay to death, especially when I get a good match up online (now that the patch is out). But as an overall package it falls behind BB for me. They've laid great groundwork for KoFXIII though.

Third Place is Street Fighter IV. I honestly think the only reason this isn't above KoFXII for me is the cast. The new characters aren't the greatest (except C. Viper and Gouken), and some of the old characters are just boring to me after all of these years. I just do not care one bit about Blanka and I never will. For me the game needed less old faces and more new blood. And so far they've only announced one new character for SSFIV. I'll still get it and love it, but the lack of new characters (and abundance of shotos and chargers) is making it feel a bit more stale than it should be.

Unfortunately I either haven't played or haven't put enough time into a few notable titles on the list, but unless Melty Blood really grabs me I don't think my top 3 would change.

So yeah, long post. Your thoughts?
Edited by reelmojo on 04. December 2009 07:32

Shiny
Does KoF 02UM count as a "new" game? If it does I'll go with that.

merlin
I haven't played all of those but out of the ones I've tried for me it's got to be Blaz Blue. I was already a huge fan of the Guilty Gear series and was looking forward to this for a long time. Gameplay feels perfect to me although it's definitely not an easy game to master. Graphically it looks stunning and the character designs are very appealing.

Not wishing to sound too pedantic but Fate Unlimited Codes actually got it's first home release for PS2 in Dec '08. Great game though.

RiKo
hmmm LOL! easy choice for me cos i have only played one! Its Street Fighter IV and i do like it a lot. I only ever play online with ranked matches and it makes it awesome! its the first online fighter i've ever played so is a bit special. I do really like the fighting too. Me and Powerwave's have some good fights and i hope to fight Merlin too soon Smile

Is a great game and maybe the first ever 2D fighter to actually work in 3D (properly)!! well done Capcom for getting it right finally. the Focus system works well as an easier replacement for parrying too, and i know experts can use it to make longer combos as well (not me tho)

I do also have Melty Blood : Actress Agaian but unfortunately my PS2 wouldn't run it ( i thought it might bechipped but it wasn't). I prob will get a jap PS2 tho cos there's lots of good jap games for it, also it can prob run Jap PS1 games like Einhander
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Michael Max
Very tough decision because '09 was indeed one hell of a year for fighting game fans! I'm going to have to cast my vote on SF4. Overall, I think the classic game-play, mass appeal and bright visuals makes this one win out in the end. But it's a close call. Here's my ranking list in order of favorites.

SF4
Tekken 6
KOF 12
Blazblue
Edited by Michael Max on 04. December 2009 14:56

Powerwave
i have only tried street fighter 4 this year but the reason i havnt played any others is because sf4 has taken up all my time in term of my slot for modern gaming.
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

STE C
Can I choose Ninja Masters as 2009 was the first time I played it , nah thats cheeky, despite being a slight let down the fact is KOF XII is a very good game so i plump for that closely followed by Blazblue .

NeoGeoNinja
02 Unlimited Match

my vote.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Wild Tengu
Easily BlazBlue for me. It's a fresh new franchise, it's got nice gameplay, well rounded cast of characters, and it looks as good as it plays. When I first saw the game, I thought it would end up sucking and be nothing more than another Guilty Gear wannabe (See Arc System's other fighters, and other contemporary fighters like Arcana Heart, etc).

The best thing about BB though is the online experience is near flawless, its so smooth, and lag is rare. No input delay. It's really good.

Street Fighter IV is just as good too though, plays very nicely, and shows that a game using 3D graphics can do the classic 2D gameplay quite well, moreso than any other attempt in the past. The online play is also pretty good, not as good as BB's, but it's highly playable.

Then there are the other choices...

- KOFXII is the biggest disappointment (and failure) of 2009 among the fighting genre. This game just can't compete with SFIV and BB, both games offer way better gameplay systems, alot more depth, much more content, and a way better variety of characters. There is hardly any depth to this game, and while the game does look pretty sometimes, it's way too pixalated and just looks plain ugly sometimes.

I mean, in KOFXII, learning to play with a team of 3 different characters (Of it's tiny 22 character roster) is about equivalent to learning 1 character in BlazBlue (Out of it's 12 character roster). Even SFIV's individual characters offer more depth than this because they have a wider range of basic attacks, multiple supers, focus cancels, target combo's, and other nifty things that the characters in KOFXII just lack.

The worst offender with XII though, is the online play. Even after two patches, they couldn't get it right. The game is just completely un-playable online. Red and Yellow bar matches, just ain't gonna work, the input delay is too much. Blue bar players seemingly don't exist, and nobody is playing this game outside of laggy red bar players who enjoy their laggy spamfest matches.

- KOF2k2UM on the other hand gives you exactly what you'd want in a KOF game, huge roster, plenty of depth, and tons of content, and a really good soundtrack too. Just a shame it's Japan only at the moment. And even then, no online play... although the XBL release of 2k2UM can fix that when it hits next year, but then... you know SNK is gonna do what they did with 98UM and outsource it to some chinese company that slaps together shitty netcode, as they did with MOTW. So you may as well forget it...

- Tekken 6 is not a bad game, but... I just can't get into this series. I like alot of the characters, like Lee, Lei, Paul, Hworang, Baek, and the newest addition, Bob, but I can never get into the gameplay style of Tekken with it's juggle heavy combo's and off the ground re-bound juggles. It's just crazy. I'll take Virtua Fighter over this game anyday.

- Fate/Unlimited Codes Another Type-Moon fighter, except this one is 3D and looks like a Dreamcast era game, but it at least has decent character designs (Lancer ftw) . However the gameplay... yuck. What a broken and sloppy mess. The game is just terribly imbalanced. The fact it's on the PSP means you're gonna be getting sore thumbs on the crappy D-Pad that thing has and that "analog nub" is terrible.

- Sugoi! Arcana Heart 2 is just a joke, that game has such a horrible port, and it's a pity too, cuz I kinda liked the first Arcana Heart a little bit. Plus the fact it's a Japanese PS2 game, it'll never see the light outside of Japan. The lack of online play hurts this one too, because... finding people to play AH with is a nightmare. Most guys won't even go near this game, unless they are the ultimate otaku weeabo.

- Melty Blood forever remains stuck in Japan, so this game really has no chance since it never received a western release and remains one of the more obscure fighters, especially since it started out as a PC game. It's not a bad game gameplay wise, but the extremely pixalated and pillow shaded sprites are blah, the backgrounds are boring, and most of the character designs are not any good. The soundtrack is decent at least though. But being a PS2 game... blah. You know all the faults of being a PS2 game in this generation of consoles.

Better off waiting for a PC release, because then it'll at least have netplay. Finding local players of this game is just as bad as Arcana Heart.

- Sunday X Magazine is also a major joke. What bother listing that game? It's just a cheesy animu fighter no different than any of the DragonBall Z, Naruto or Bleach fighters, the only high point of the game is beating up Inuyasha with Joe or Ippo. This game doesn't deserve to be listed among the likes of Street Fighter, KOF or the others. Otherwise you may as well include every other animu fighter that came out this year, like Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, etc... but nobody that takes fighting games seriously actually cares about these crappy games. Pfft
Edited by Wild Tengu on 04. December 2009 21:25

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
reelmojo
Oh yeah, I did forget about those anime based fighters... but you're right that most fighting game fans only play those casually if at all, so I'm going to go ahead and leave them off the list. If anyone wants to vote for them, that's why "other" is there. I included Sunday X Magazine because I didn't know anything about it so I didn't see any reason it shouldn't be included.

Also, I think it's a testament to how good BlazBlue is that both Tengu and I didn't have high hopes for the game, and we both ended up giving it the fighting game of the year award.

Bullet
I have always loved the King of Fighters series of games since I walked into an arcade and was greeted to King of Fighters 94 and KOFXII is no different. To say that XII is ugly is an uneducated and probably unfortunately gut response. It's like saying KOF 2002 UM is ugly, which it is not, but it is in fact a different style of art (Art Form) from the way Guilty Gear or BlazBlue, which is vector based. Many other 2d games are sprite based and "2d" games running on the PS1 were flat textured polygons, but I digress...

I wanted KOF XII to be the fighting game of this year, but for everything it did right it did 2 things wrong. KOF 2002 UM made up for XII, by going overboard with fan service and move sets, that were insanely large. I understood what they were trying to do. Bring the game play back to basics, simplify the move sets to bring about more strategy, but many characters felt gimped to long time fans, myself included. Initially. Taking the game for what it is and not what it is not, which I know is hard, in our age of internet criticism.
I do enjoy its new game play style, mechanics, graphics and gorgeous animation. There is just something about real 2D hand drawn art, be it rotoscoped from real people or polygon models that just looks so much better to me and until 3D games don't clip or have clothing or body parts cutting through each other it will always have a broken visual look to me when characters interact... with anything!!!

Anyway...

Street Fighter 4 for me was the fighter of the year, not because it is the best fighting game, but for what it did for fighting games as a whole. It brought new and old fans back to fighting games as a whole and put the genre back into a much needed spotlight. It created community within the fighting genre that had been much needed locally and internationally. I played the game non-stop when it first came out and competed in local tournaments and even took part in and held local events. It was good to see so many new faces and people that loved the genre and competition like I did. A fresh start was what in many ways was what SNK Playmore in their heart of hearts wanted to do, I believe, but just didn't have the resources to accomplish. Unfortunately for them the spotlight was on and they didn't put up a matching effort. Not saying that they couldn't as one look at KOF MI Regulation A would reveal, that given the opportunity they can make a solid 3d game and if they stuck to the traditional game play of the original 2D KOF's that they could be onto something and went from 2D to 3D in a more faithfull way than Capcom did in their previous efforts, untill finally getting it right with SF4. Lets not forget that Capcom has failed many times before, so when SNK Playmore potentially drops the ball, we should look forward in hopes that a Garou or KOF 2002 UM isn't far behind.

Now lets not fool ourselves SNK playmore is not the company it once was, but it is trying and I give them respect for that, they could have walked away from their fans many times. Memories are short and after Capcom does 2 or 3 more versions of SF4 I'm sure everyone will remember the 90's and how they milked their fans. Hopefully SNK Playmore will be there as well.

Tekken 6 is just more Tekken, now I'm sure that could be said for any series, but this game feels so stagnant and hasn't changed much since 3 and could really use the tag mode from tag tournament and the scenerio mode is the most broken thing ever!!! Did anyone playtest that before is shipped? Seriously?
That said, I do enjoy the cast of characters in Tekken, its world and music. just not so much the stiff game play. Also of note is the insane anime-esqe insanity of a storyline that continues through out the series.

Speaking of anime BlazBlu just feels like a cast of anime rejects. I just don't look at any of the cast of that game and say "He or she looks cool, I want to play as them." It just looks so derivative and generic, but I guess that could also be said of the incestuous fighting genre as a whole, lol. I bought the game and all those above, but it just hasn't hooked me in any way. I've also never been a fan of the Guilty Gear games either, so I wasn't sure what to think of BlazBlu. (I did enjoy Hokuto no Ken tho!!! So I'm not anti Arc System Works and I also own Battle Fantasia, which was also fun.) Noel is the only character that I found the least unappealing so I've been using her when I play the game with friends or the few times I've played online. Learning a character is pretty straight forward. I wouldn't say it's re-inventing the wheel if you've played a decent amount of fighters. I'd say the plus, minus would be that almost every character has their own fighting system and gauge(s) to go along with the individual which is probably great for game balance, lol.

I enjoyed the original Arcana Heart, but haven't heard or seen enough good things to warrant a purchase of the second game. Fate/Unlimited codes will probably get me in trouble. It looks neat, but isn't a"real" fighting game, it's like saying any of the Naruto or Smash Bros games are "real" fighting games. I enjoy them and own a few of them, but don't take them seriously.

It was a great year for fans of the genre that is fighting games and while I may come off sometimes as negative, I have enjoyed my time with these games , but can also realize what I enjoy and will come back to what has the most interesting game play to me and ocassionally go back to others in the periphery of my game tastes.
Edited by Bullet on 15. December 2009 21:46
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

merlin
Bullet wrote:
Fate/Unlimited codes will probably get me in trouble. It looks neat, but isn't a"real" fighting game, it's like saying any of the Naruto or Smash Bros games are "real" fighting games.

You're fully entitled to your opinion Bullet but I have to disagree with you. I could understand if you didn't like the game for whatever reason because after all it's not going to appeal to everyone but I think it definitely should be considered a 'real' fighting game. The fact that it was one of the nine games chosen for this year's SBO shows it is taken seriously as a fighting game.

Fate Unlimited Codes has a significant following with a ton of match videos online and the game was also successful in the Japanese arcades. I'd be interested to hear why you feel it isn't a 'real' fighting game. I don't mean to come off sounding harsh in any way but I'm just a little surprised.

Bullet
merlin wrote:
Bullet wrote:
Fate/Unlimited codes will probably get me in trouble. It looks neat, but isn't a"real" fighting game, it's like saying any of the Naruto or Smash Bros games are "real" fighting games.

You're fully entitled to your opinion Bullet but I have to disagree with you. I could understand if you didn't like the game for whatever reason because after all it's not going to appeal to everyone but I think it definitely should be considered a 'real' fighting game. The fact that it was one of the nine games chosen for this year's SBO shows it is taken seriously as a fighting game.

Fate Unlimited Codes has a significant following with a ton of match videos online and the game was also successful in the Japanese arcades. I'd be interested to hear why you feel it isn't a 'real' fighting game. I don't mean to come off sounding harsh in any way but I'm just a little surprised.

I'd say you hit the nail on the head. Fate Unlimited Codes has a significant following and so does Smash Bros. Popularity doesn't always equal quality. The Tournament organizers want as big of a turn out as the can get. The more people who attend the better and the more that people attend makes others want to know what's so interesting about the games at SBO. A huge turnout makes you wonder what am I missing, why are so many people playing those games and you check them out and spread the word about a game or two and the cycle continues. I have nothing against the series and still feel the same about its inclusion on SBO tournament list.

Street Fighter 4 was primed for starved fighting fans to gather around it. New strategies, combos, focus cancels, kara throws etc. were found when people held the game up as the new tournament scene watermark and the scene needed it. Guys like Gootecks Combofiend, Justin Wong etc. were getting everything they could out of it. SF4 was sort of a self fulfilling prophecy for the fans of fighting games. The fans that wanted and needed a big game and they literally made that happen. If you watch the tournament scene around SF4, most of the big tournament players were not fans of the game when it first hit, but wanted/needed fighting to be popular again after 3rd strikes failure. So they dug in. They all also wanted to make money playing fighting games so they pushed the game as hard as they could to make it as big as they could so they'd have a revenue stream to keep going and playing. All the while Capcom promotes this so they can sell more games.

Just think about some of your favorite fighters and what the level of play could have been like, IF ... IF it was embraced buy a group of tournament players that pushed it and wanted it to be the next big thing.
Edited by Bullet on 16. December 2009 01:45

Bullet
I think this video practically screams broken, fun yes, but not a real tournament worthy fighter.
http://www.youtub...HLbFdUaGGc

YouTube Video

Edited by Bullet on 16. December 2009 05:41

merlin
Bullet wrote:
I'd say you hit the nail on the head. Fate Unlimited Codes has a significant following and so does Smash Bros. Popularity doesn't always equal quality. The Tournament organizers want as big of a turn out as the can get. The more people who attend the better and the more that people attend makes others want to know what's so interesting about the games at SBO. A huge turnout makes you wonder what am I missing, why are so many people playing those games and you check them out and spread the word about a game or two and the cycle continues. I have nothing against the series and still feel the same about its inclusion on SBO tournament list.

Yes you're quite right that popularity doesn't necessarily equal quality. Fate Unlimited Codes does have it's issues there's no doubt (like quite a few other fighting games) but for me and many others it's still a 'real' fighting game we can take seriously and have fun with. I've got to admit though that the juggling in some of these match videos is a bit insane at times! It's just that I definitely wouldn't call it 'not a real fighting game' and put it together with Smash Brothers which like yourself I really don't consider to be a 'proper' fighting game however fun it might be.

I agree with you that SF4 has been very good for the fighting game genre but however tournament worthy it might be it doesn't really excite me at all. It just feels a bit unoriginal and when playing it I just have the constant feeling I'd much rather be playing an earlier Street Fighter game like SSF2T or Zero 3 which I enjoy a lot more. Also it's difficult for me to accept a Street Fighter game having 3D graphics.

HexElf
Sorry I'm a bit late to the party but here's my 10 dollars worth, I'll try to be brief:

Best fighting game all year: Tekken 6 BR
Simply one of the most well concieved, balanced and good looking fighting games to come out in several years! The changes between this and Tekken 5.0 are so numerous and significant that it's almost a bit embarassing to look back now. Namco really worked their asses off to fix the numerous issues that even the most hardcore fans had with the series and actually had the guts to tweak stuff that has been the same (ie broken) since forever. Three thumbs up!

Most over rated: Street Fighter 4
Let's face it, the game started out as love letter to Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo that already had a remake, then they took out Okizeme and made turtling just about the only truly rewarding gameplay style. It's still a good game in it's own right but the attention it's getting is way WAAAY overboard in terms of how good the game actually is. Also the new characters are IMO among the worst and most stereotypical bunch of characters ever added to a Street Fighter game. I won't get into them unless asked to however haha.

Most underrated: KOF12
IGN actually gave the game a 6/10 on graphics and then went on to give MVC2 a solid 7/10, I mean WHAT were they smoking??? Excellent graphics aside though KOF12 for me has some of the best audio in any fighting game ever. I mean not only does the music seriously kick ass, not only do the crowd actually go wild whenever you pull a critical counter but you can actually hear stuff going on in the background if you're standing close enough. Everything from the pigs in the pen to the knife of the fast food chef! Despite being somewhat rushed according to SNK themselves it is still a testament to the "less is more" philosophy since the game manages to add so much value with so little. The new CD attack properties are just the cream on the top.
Edited by HexElf on 20. December 2009 01:12
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
Jump to Forum: