Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Michael Max
Thread ID: 2163
Thread Info
There are 34 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 13594 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rapid/Turbo Controller Ethics
tony starks
Powerwave wrote:
winners dont use drugs.... or rapid fire Smile

Headbang

Beautiful

Thumbs Up
Starks is always out

Michael Max
Well I'm convinced. You guys confirmed what I pretty much knew anyway. Turbo isn't on the up and up. It's a shame that it gives certain people an edge in games so be it. As is the general consensus here, it's better to lose fairly than win unfairly.

Michael Max
Michael Max wrote:
Well I'm convinced. You guys confirmed what I pretty much knew anyway. Turbo isn't on the up and up. It's a shame that it gives certain people an edge in games but so be it. As is the general consensus here, it's better to lose fairly than win unfairly.

NeoGeoNinja
Shiny wrote:
ANYONE using turbo/auto fire in ANY game is a pussy.

Why not have special moves mapped to one-touch buttons too, or better yet, get the CPU to play on your behalf... Can't play? Don't play. Simple as.

KIND OF...
but nowadays, I EXPECT to see turbo-fire as an option in Shmups. Seriosuly, pressing the button repeatedly is a real chore... I'm all up for Shmup turbo-fire BUT in fighting games? What a joke!

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

cthulhu
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
but nowadays, I EXPECT to see turbo-fire as an option in Shmups. Seriosuly, pressing the button repeatedly is a real chore... I'm all up for Shmup turbo-fire BUT in fighting games? What a joke!

Ninja

I agree...ever heard of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? It seems that repeated motions like button bashing, isn't too good on your nerves...hooray for Turbo on Shmups.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

RiKo
i like the autofire option on shooters but not necessarily turbo. i do like to just hold the button down and for it to fire fast but automatically. Pulstar kills me, cos you have to fire quick to keep you power bar up. I know on Xenon II autofire kills the game - literally creates a column of bullets. but yes i like the sensible auto-fire options they give you which aren't so extreme.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
cthulhu
RiKo wrote:
i like the autofire option on shooters but not necessarily turbo. i do like to just hold the button down and for it to fire fast but automatically. Pulstar kills me, cos you have to fire quick to keep you power bar up. I know on Xenon II autofire kills the game - literally creates a column of bullets. but yes i like the sensible auto-fire options they give you which aren't so extreme.

Autofire in some games is great, but not in others...it all depends on what game it is. Generally in older games it's not necessary and even ruins the game, however in some newer games it can be very usefull (and healthy).
My arcade stuff

Shiny
I'm a firm believer in playing the game as it was intended to be played. You'll never see auto-fire on a pad of mine. Limbs ache? Take a break.

NeoGeoNinja
Shiny wrote:
I'm a firm believer in playing the game as it was intended to be played. You'll never see auto-fire on a pad of mine. Limbs ache? Take a break.

HEH...
you'll never see auto-fire on ANY of my controllers for ONE main reason: They're all 'standard' official controllers! Wink

BACK IN THE DAY...
when I was a wee child, when SF2 had just been released on SNES... I think having a turbo controller was quite the novelty (for ChunLi, EHonda & Blanka especially). Not long after though, it wore off PLUS I learned that I didn't actually like any of those characters either, which incidentally, many novice players ACTUALLY pick those 3 on the basis of those very moves. It's probably these PPL who are the biggest 'offenders' Hmm

Ninja

cthulhu
None of my Joypads or sticks have an Autofire/ Turbo option, however some of my Arcade games (Cave) have an Autofire option in the Configuration Menu of which I rarely make use...taking a break from playing those games is quite difficult as you can't pause them...they are however short enough to not have any problems with aching wrists or fingers. Blazing Star however is a real bitch when it comes to button bashing and painful joints.
Edited by cthulhu on 03. December 2009 14:03
My arcade stuff

Shiny
I know what you mean, not being able to pause them does pose a bit of a problem but then I guess they were meant to be played in short bursts anyway, being designed for the arcade. I dunno, it's a tricky one with shmups but if I can avoid auto/turbo fire I will.

I'm curious as to how auto-fire would work with something like R-Type where the same button is used for both shot and charge... Hmm

RiKo
I don't know, but you would hope the fire button would overide the auto-fire, so it just fires fast until you hold the fire button down? maybe someone can try it out. .....the slow motion feature on old joysticks. joypads was the most useless thing ever - it just slower your character down, often made you move jerkily like you were on caffine. I had a quickshot joystick with a stopwatch built in too. lol

Space Giraffe is the ultimate in non-effort as far as firing is concerned cos there is no fire-button - your ship fires automatically, you can aim the shots of course though. it works well in that game!
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
Shiny wrote:
I know what you mean, not being able to pause them does pose a bit of a problem but then I guess they were meant to be played in short bursts anyway, being designed for the arcade. I dunno, it's a tricky one with shmups but if I can avoid auto/turbo fire I will.

I'm curious as to how auto-fire would work with something like R-Type where the same button is used for both shot and charge... Hmm

RTYPE AUTO-FIRE...
exists my friend. Simply, Auto is assigned to one button, Standard fire (hold for BLAST OF DEATH) is assigned to another and Anchor to another button. Works well.

PERSONALLY...
I'm MORE than up for Auto-Fire/Rapid in Shmups 9as long as it doesn't damage the game!). Good examples are (a game I got recently) Zero 5 on the Atari Jaguar. This game is awesome! The only thing that marrs it - for constant replayabilty - is the lack of a Rapid option. The shooting in that game IS intense and it's a shame to have the enjoyment tainted ever so slightly by the need to mash the fire constantly and heavily. If you played it, you'd 'get' what I mean more so. Another good example is Raiden on the Jaguar. Great game, but no Rapid makes firing a chore. The last example I can think of is that 1942 Joint Strike on XBLA & PSN... great game I'm sure, but the lack of Rapid just makes the game unnecessarily hard work IMO.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT...
UN Squadron got it spot on: one press of the button released a small Rapid flurry of shots for about 2 seconds. This meant that you still had to repeatedly press the button, but less so than individual fire and not as 'lazy' as Rapid. I think that was perfect.

Ninja

Mr Vengeance
Michael Max wrote:
A lot of good points here guys. I think I'll go back to old school turbo-free playing.

Good stuff mate - keep your gaming integrity and try and hook up with like minded gamers for a few bouts.

Jump to Forum: