Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: priest
Thread ID: 2153
Thread Info
There are 37 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9987 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ganryu / Musashi Ganryuki: NGFL High Score Challenge
merlin
Great score Daraku. Thumbs Up It didn't take you long to get good at the game.

Since this is a Visco game I'm hoping there's a slight chance NCI might release this for NGCD.

DarakuTenshi
I've been trying to get a video of this like you did, but I may have to wait for my Neo-Geo X to do it or a cord that I ordered from Japan that hopefully will work with my capture card. The audio has been desyncing too much when I do it straight from the emulator. The video will show you where another hidden 1up is... (that's if you didn't already know)

priest
We have a new leader in this scoreboard; Daraku TenshiThumbs Up

Scoreboard have been updated. Please stand by for the medals update...
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
DarakuTenshi
This is so frustrating!!! Every time I try to get this caught on video something goes wrong. I've even beat my own score but now the video file is bad. Other times the graphics for the numbers get glitched up and I am unable to even see what the score is... I'm going to reset my computer, do my homework, and then come back and see if I can capture this on video. I may just have to use a cam to capture it rather than using the recorder on the emulator.

merlin
Are you using a recording function built into the emulator rather than a separate program? The way I do it is to play the input file and then record with Fraps. I never get any audio sync problems.

I hadn't found that other life. To be honest I didn't fully explore everywhere I was just focused on beating the game without dying and stuck to the same route most of the time. I'll come back to the game at some point and thoroughly explore.

DarakuTenshi
I thought I had gotten it recorded today again and the file seemed okay at first but then turns into fragmented images. The score was over 250,000 at least I grabbed a screen shot on that one before closing MAME. But yes the same way I recorded Blue's Journey I used the in game uncompressed AVI recorder.

As for the 1up; I found that completely by accident. I tried jumping over an arrow or spear and I grabbed onto a hidden ledge that brought me into a grotto.

This game really has grown on me. It gives me the feeling of games like Ninja Gaiden or maybe more like Ninja Spirit. I think they should have switched the last two bosses though. The 2nd to last boss is the hardest in the game. And the last boss is the easiest in the game.

DarakuTenshi
Ok I got the video to work properly. Here it is as well as my new high score.

1. DarakuTenshi: Score: 266,440. , All Clear (4 deaths), Character: Musashi, Played on Mame+ .146

http://www.youtub...e=youtu.be
imageshack.us/a/img832/9841/0002he.png
Edited by DarakuTenshi on 29. September 2012 18:52

merlin
I watched the playthrough all the way through. Well played. I agree with you about the bosses. The final boss definitely seems easier than the 4th one. It can be quite tricky when the 4th boss shoots out those fiery columns rapidly.

I think they should have made the final level more challenging. It's one of the easiest stages in the game.

Ganryu has also really grown on me. Seems like quite a few people don't like it that much for some reason though.

priest
Daraku Tenshi: Well done!

Scoreboard have been updated.

DarakuTenshi
merlin wrote:

I watched the playthrough all the way through. Well played. I agree with you about the bosses. The final boss definitely seems easier than the 4th one. It can be quite tricky when the 4th boss shoots out those fiery columns rapidly.

I think they should have made the final level more challenging. It's one of the easiest stages in the game.

Ganryu has also really grown on me. Seems like quite a few people don't like it that much for some reason though.

Yeah, it's almost as if they got bored and decided to just finish the game off quickly. The last stage just seemed really lazy. If they wanted to have a vertical stage like that maybe we could have climbed up a cliff before making it to the pagota, I see something like the 2nd stage from Contra.

Anyway... This game has really grown on me as well. I do wish they had a 2 player simltanious mode, but it's still rather fun. I decided to do a little review of the game.
I wasn't going to share this because I was running out of time to get it finished because of school work. But... here it is anyway.
YouTube Video

priest
Daraku Tenshi: Interesting! IŽll watch this review after work...

priest
Daraku Tenshi: Your review of Ganryu is great, also you your voice is easy to listen to.

I look forward to seeing more NEO GEO reviews from you Thumbs Up

Is it OK if I paste the review in the main post of this thread?

Thanks.

DarakuTenshi
Feel free.

Gemant
Question: in the 1up location, if you lose a life you can get again the 1up item? I think is a possible way for "infinite pattern". Can you confirm?

DarakuTenshi
No that was discussed up a bit higher. You cannot stand around and kill re-spawning ninja's over and over and you can only pick up a 1up in it's location once. After you die you have to pass over it.

merlin
Nice review Daraku. Hopefully it might encourage a few more people to give the game a try. I agree with Priest that it would be good if you did some more Neo Geo reviews in the future.

Yes Gemant you're quite right that is an infinite pattern in the game. Like Daraku mentioned the rules for this challenge were changed because of that.

priest
priest wrote:* New rule to this challenge: YouŽre only allowed to pick up any extra life ONCE.

and repetedly killing the respawning ninjas in this place at stage 4 is NOT allowed to boost your score.

Gemant: Like the others have already written; I made an amendment to the Ganryu rules shortly after this *bug* was discovered.

Jump to Forum: