Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: boogiepop
Thread ID: 2133
Thread Info
There are 18 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2988 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Is NGFL Growing?
boogiepop
I was thinking about this the other day and it seems like there have been quite a few individuals who've arrived over the past couple of years who have stuck around and been regular posters. I can remember times when the forums felt a bit slow but now it seems like there are at least a few fresh posts daily. I almost expect Priest or Riko or one of the new guys to keep up the banter when many of the older members (myself included although I'm not really that old) don't really post with any regularity.

Now that I think of it, there aren't many active members who've been around before I joined the forum. There's Kaz (of course), Sukotsuto, Raiken, and... that's about everyone I can think of. Maybe I've just missed the Rhonin Buddha, Candycab (how's he doing?), Robotron, etc. posts.

I'd like to know from one of you "old timers" if what I'm saying is correct. Was there a time when the forums were livelier? Are they more now? I'm curious to know the answer to that.

And I think you daily contributors deserve a round of applause. Thanks for keeping the wheels turning guys! Clap I think it deserves some appreciation. And of course thanks to Kaz for giving us these forums to even talk on. That one day when things were in limbo a week or two ago, I realized just how much it would suck to not be able to come here and shoot the shit with you guys.

Well, strange topic, I know. Just thinking.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

phry
Hey there,

I can second that opinion. NG4L is definately growing. When the 'new' site was put up two years or so ago, there was only a few dozen members that moved across. However the site's seen a steady growth over the past couple of years but I can really see that the pace has upped a bit.

I must confess, as an 'older' member of the site (since 2005), that I don't post as much as I used to, maybe a couple a week tops, especially since my master's degree has taken up a large portion of my time lately.

As for livliness, there's always been peaks and troughs over the few years. I remember it being very lively when the chatrooms were introduced too which became quite a big part of the site. In my view though, it's definately lively at the moment, though you're right BP, I've not bumped into many veterans in a while. Just cos they don't post doesn't mean they don't pop by to see what's going on though.

I usually visit most days to see what the gossip is, though don't always have time to post much. I should do a bit more really. :$

boogiepop
Ah, I knew I'd forget someone! Sorry phry! I do consider you one of the active posters, though of course I couldn't hold it against anyone if their life takes precedence over the forum. I tend to be sporatic in my posting; I disappear for a couple of weeks and then post a lot for a couple.

And now that you mention it, yeah, a lot of members didn't make it over to the new forum. Like, whatever happened to Klarkus? We may never know (or we could just ask Kaz Pfft ).

Powerwave
hey there boogie, i was actualy thinking of making a similar thread but you beat me to it. Its always interests me how the forum has wavered and changed. when i first joined which was about 2 years ago there were regular posters , but interestingly alot of these people have vanished. some of the only people from the 'old days' that still post are priest, kaz, shiny, merlin, raiken etc etc.

i think within the last year or so there have been certain 'new' people that have become a huge contribution like ste c, ninja and riko etc etc

so yeah its always something that interested me and i like to reminise over old posts and remember certain people who have vanished.
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

Raiken
It's weird looking back at the old proboards forum and seeing the posts myself and the original NG4L crew made. Most of the images there are now broken but tons of old threads still remain. I myself have finally started posting here regularly again after who knows when.
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

boogiepop
I'd be kinda interested in seeing some of that stuff. Who knows what you said when you made your first introductions? I know it'd be kinda weird for me to see my original posts asking about what a supergun is, etc. Or how about all the predictions we made in the past that were totally wrong (or in some cases, eerily close to the truth)? Like I remember making a thread asking for predictions about who'd be in KOF 12. Nobody thought they would have rebooted the series like they did. So our predictions were waaay off.

STE C
Ive only been around since March but things I suppose this year have been pretty consistent with new members and forum chat. Maybe the increase in members and activity is down to modern gaming simply not delivering enough quality hence a lot of people go back to an earlier stage in their life when things were better , only now we can afford NG goodeness or have the pleasure to play them on other consoles or emu. A bit like fancying a girl for years who you could not have when you were younger then meeting her later in life and shagging her ( sorry but thats how I see owning NG lol) and bloody enjoying it.

I love this site its a big part of my life and I would hate the thought of someone posting a thread like this 2 years in the future and saying hey what happened to Ste C , Ninja , Basashi King ect so I intend to stick around as I am sure the other newish members will who love this site will.

RiKo
thanks to people for mentioning my name, its very nice to be part of the NG4L family Grin I'm very pleased that lots of the new members are staying around. its nice to see Shiny and mr Boogie back too. now if only if the pimp daddy himself would come back (kaz of course!!)

my introduction thread is a little embarassing to me now, it was a bit over enthusiastic!! haha, pleased i have calmed down a bit now, but it was quite exciting for me then, cos i was just starting to play Neo Geo and video games again after a huge break.

i plan to be here forever, though like everyone else i have my quiet periods. at the moment i am unable to read all the threads, but i always a read as much as I can Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Powerwave
hey riko i remember a time when your posting was verrrry frequent, all the threads were full of riko. but at least it was our dear friend riko. i think one of my first posts was omething like 'who is your fave waku waku 7 fighter'
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

RiKo
haha yes mine is Slash! i haven't played that for ages - just too many games and not enough time to play them. don't forget my 'films where people dance at the end' thread. haha

i am kind of spread all over the internet now, but i still come here everyday Smile

NeoGeoNinja
DID I HEAR MY NAME MENTIONED?...
thanks for the shouts guys! I do like to come here and keep things as stimulating as possible and in return of course, find stimulation!

IN TRUTH...
I've tried a couple of forums as well as this one, but I find NGFL more accommodating, open minded, less 'clicky' and overall, just down to earth. I consequently 'sacked' the other sites off. I posted, normally, just like I do here on other sites but the PPL who 'resided' there tend to just ignore perfectly good posts and respond to all other posts pertaining to more long-standing members. Does this make sense? Anyway, when I came here I found that this was not the case. Members and long-standing members alike would happily reply to any good subject matter and didn't reserve their interests for long-standing and respected members only. As such, I also undertake the very same ethic and always attempt to reply to new-members posts, even if the subject is over my head. It's important to help new members fit-in... just like you all helped me fit-in just under a year ago! That's right, whod've thought it... A WHOLE YEAR since I joined (nearly).
Thanks guys... I've throughtly enjoyed my time here and will hopefully continue to do so...

Ninja
(p.s. Sorry for my 'rambling' and unstructured post... but I suffered several interruptions and god knows what else... still, I hope I made my point?)
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

boogiepop
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
(p.s. Sorry for my 'rambling' and unstructured post... but I suffered several interruptions and god knows what else... still, I hope I made my point?)

That I am a god for having more tenure than you and my word makes mountains tremble? Yes, you did. Or at least, I assume you did had I actually read your noob-ass post.

Just kidding of course WinkBob

reelmojo
Despite what my join date says, my introduction thread was posted on August 16th last year, so I've barely been here for over a year myself. That's odd to me because it feels like it's been a lot longer. Coming to this site when I get online is second nature to me now. Assuming that I have time to get online, I'm here everyday.

All this talk of the old days makes me wish I had signed up when I first started coming here to read Kaz's reviews! That was some time in 2003, so I would have been a six year member by now! I remember not signing up back then because I was thinking "these are the guys who spend hundreds of dollars on these games. How are they going to react to me when I tell them I download them?" Sure, now the NG owners and the emulation people all coexist on here nicely, but back then when KoF2002 had just come out would people have been so nice when I was playing it for free on NeoRageX and they were waiting for their extremely expensive cart to come in the mail?

Still, to have been a member while the NeoGeo was still alive... that would have been pretty damn cool.

phry
Ah, I knew I'd forget someone! Sorry phry! I do consider you one of the active posters, though of course I couldn't hold it against anyone if their life takes precedence over the forum

lol, no worries dude Smile

Yeah, I remember my first posts, I was asking recommendations about arcade joysticks and highlights from the best part 10 years of SNK games that I'd missed between playing KOF94 and CapcomVsSNK2. So many classics I've discovered thanks to the posts of members here.

RiKo
welcome back Mr Phry! Grin

mojo - i think most people are fairly relaxed about stuff like that here, maybe not so much at the other NG site though Smile Neo geo carts are expensive! i can only afford them now, wish i could of had some when i was younger:( but its pretty cool discovering the system fresh cos it was all exciting and new.

RiKo
i played this for the HSC a few weeks back. it doesn't feel quite as smooth in the control as later shooters. Also the power up system is far too complicated in my opinion, you even have a menu to select which one you want to use (in game). It definitely grows on you the more you play it. you can tell its an early game cos it makes full use of the NG's sprite scaling abilities. yes gfx isn't that great but its ok. i would give it 6/10 with 5/10 being an average shooter. i think it prob has lots of hidden depths after extended play but i like my shooters to be more immediate.

the worst thing is when you lose a life before the boss and you lose alll your powerups and it takes an age to destroy the boss and this sometimes makes it very hard.

something interesting it def has some kind of dynamic difficulty setting possibly depending on what you've picked up or how well you are doing, cos the better i fo the harder it makes it - bosses fire more bullets, enemies where there aren't usually any etc

In Summary : good to average shooter with overcomplicated powerup system

NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
i played this for the HSC a few weeks back. it doesn't feel quite as smooth in the control as later shooters. Also the power up system is far too complicated in my opinion, you even have a menu to select which one you want to use (in game). It definitely grows on you the more you play it. you can tell its an early game cos it makes full use of the NG's sprite scaling abilities. yes gfx isn't that great but its ok. i would give it 6/10 with 5/10 being an average shooter. i think it prob has lots of hidden depths after extended play but i like my shooters to be more immediate.

the worst thing is when you lose a life before the boss and you lose alll your powerups and it takes an age to destroy the boss and this sometimes makes it very hard.

something interesting it def has some kind of dynamic difficulty setting possibly depending on what you've picked up or how well you are doing, cos the better i fo the harder it makes it - bosses fire more bullets, enemies where there aren't usually any etc

In Summary : good to average shooter with overcomplicated powerup system

WELL THAT'S GREAT RIKO...
but how's about one of those 'explanations' I've heard so much about? It'd help me out here as it seems you're randomly discussing ASOII to me? Could be wrong though Hmm

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 23. November 2009 19:50
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

The eccentric cat
Seems to be getting more and more livelier now, I wonder if any of the old members would recognize this site because of the format now. XD

This place has changed since I first joined, though. (I joined because I was finally able to play KOF XI ;D ) My old post are so weird now, I was so n00bish. D:

... Ah, Chat also used to be more livelier, I think. ^^;
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Jump to Forum: