Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: STE C
Thread ID: 2117
Thread Info
There are 28 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4132 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
CANNIBALS BUT WHO ARE WE TO ARGUE
STE C
I have noticed on Ebay recently a slight increase of MVS to AES conversions and was wondering what other members think of them. I can see how they can be a cost effective alternative to the genuine AES versions such as the Metal Slug series, but even these cost over 100 for the conversions , maybe im wrong but would it not be easier to get a convertor. I know that AES owners like to play the games on their actual AES but you can get a supergun/mvs boards setup for about 150 which is about the cost of a Metal Slug conversion , so whats the appeal im intrigued.

I can completely understand buying the likes of Shock Troopers as a conversion as its to good a game not to own and this maybe explains the rarity of the game although it does appear on Ebay every now and again its usually 50+ . I understand that 1 AES cart has to be discarded to make way for it , the most common games on MVS are probably Super Sidekicks & FF2 , so I assume these are maybe popular choices to butcher for a conversion but I would be interested to know if im wrong. Also how long before the butchered games start to become rare and other more desirable titles have to be used, I could be talking rubbish but could this be a possibility. If people want to get picky maybe I am guilty is my consolised MVS now a sin as its one less jamma mvs board on the market.

As I said I have nothing against it , especially as a MVS owner Ive got all the best NG games for a fraction of the AES cost so im happy but was just wondering about other peoples thoughts on the process.
Edited by STE C on 16. November 2009 09:52

merlin
I can completely understand why people buy conversions given the high prices of games like Metal Slug, Blazing Star etc. and also great games like Shock Troopers which never got a home release. Personally I don't like conversions but I would never criticize anyone for buying them.

With the majority of conversions the reality is that from two official carts you end up with only one so effectively one cart is 'lost' every time. I read that it's possible to also add the chips from the sacrificial AES cart to the MVS cart so you end up with 2 working carts. I doubt that happens very often though. Perhaps it would be possible to use a non-working AES cart instead which would be a good altenative for those who want conversions.

The cart which is most often used for conversions is Fatal Fury 3 Japanese AES because it's the cheapest cart you can buy that has the snaplock case. People don't really want the old style cases for conversions. Although still fairly common in the long term Fatal Fury 3 will probably become a bit less common and more expensive too. I just don't like the idea of an official AES cart being sacrificed in this way. Also for me it wouldn't feel the same owning a conversion especially not having an instruction manual.

It would really be better to buy an MVS convertor instead although I've heard that a homecart has to be sacrificed to make one of these too.

Like I said though I can understand why people buy conversions but I really wouldn't want to own any myself.
Edited by merlin on 16. November 2009 15:25
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

reelmojo
I don't have a NeoGeo yet, but when I've thought about getting one conversions never crossed my mind. I'm leaning towards getting an MVS, preferably in a cabinet if I can find one for the right price. The main reason I want an MVS is for Breakers Revenge which never got an AES release. I guess I could just buy a conversion if I got an AES, but that's not what the experience is about for me. I'm into emulation, so technically I already can play any NG game from the comfort of my couch if I want to. I want a cabinet for the coolness factor.

Also, I have to wonder how long it will take for a company to start producing AES carts themselves. There are already companies that produce new NES and Genesis carts without sacrificing donor carts, so can it really be that hard? I know there are already unlicensed carts out there, so maybe the company who made those 100 in 1 carts should start producing new AES carts for games that are normally converted. Illegal? Hell yes, but not any more illegal than the carts they're already making.

STE C
Check out my new thread to see the ultimate cart

NeoGeoNinja
I DUNNAE HAVE A NEOGEO PAAAAAL...
but if I did I would ONLY buy conversions of the MVS titles that are unatainable in AES form (i.e. Breakers Revenge, Prehistoric Isle 2, Strikers 1945+ etc)... as those ARE must have titles - except perhaps BRevenge, as I'd be perfectly happy with the AES original 'Breakers'.

There are probably more MVS only games that are pretty essential, but none come to mind now (except one of the STroopers, not sure if it's 1st or 2nd? Worth getting a conversion of though, no?!)

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Mr Vengeance
Well for me I won't buy conversions as they aren't "real" games. Someday I will have an MVS and will buy the Neo Geo games on that, that either didn't come out on the home system, or are prohibitively expensive.

Still though, I'd never condemn someone for buying a conversion, but I would feel a little sad for the game that is getting destroyed, even if it is a common cart.

Shiny
I personally wouldn't touch them. It's a false economy really, eventually driving up the price of the cheaper games as they slowly disappear.

Can't afford AES? Buy MVS. Simple. But I have nothing against folk that do it really, not morally, it's just the potential knock-on effect that bothers me.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Yao
NeoGeoNinja wrote:

I would ONLY buy conversions of the MVS titles that are unatainable in AES form (i.e. Breakers Revenge, Prehistoric Isle 2, Strikers 1945+ etc)... as those ARE must have titles -

Ninja

I agree Ninja. Thats the only scenario I see that would get me to buy conversions. Besides that I am against them, because there will always be somebody selling them as originals.

TurboCro
Shiny wrote:
I personally wouldn't touch them. It's a false economy really, eventually driving up the price of the cheaper games as they slowly disappear.

Can't afford AES? Buy MVS. Simple. But I have nothing against folk that do it really, not morally, it's just the potential knock-on effect that bothers me.

QFT! CMVS is the only way to go for gamers, if you like the art get shockboxes.

But the "cheap" seller for conversions on ebay (cgame) got into trouble for selling thems (or so I've heard), so it looks like these other guys want to cash in.

The other side of the issue is AES cart price manipulation on ebay (and I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory), but I think its true. Take ROTD for example, no ebay seller is selling one under 700 USD. Ridiculous. Even the Japanese Kizuna (*NM) goes for over 700 USD now. I really think the upper tier of AES cart prices should be $500. And I don't see them selling, they're the same copies at the same asking price from various sellers. Seems like price fixing to me.

STE C
http://cgi.ebay.c...19b7d8778c

Talking about CMVS check out this beauty , come on Ninja you know you want it. If I dident have one already or if I had the cash spare I would snap it up thats about the best ive seen on ebay its way better looking than mine. Im getting horny looking at it.
Edited by STE C on 17. November 2009 13:20

Shiny
I don't wanna piss on anyone's bonfire but I think it looks horrible... Does remind me though, I once started making a MD1 version, haha, never completed it. You can build one into almost anything really. Mine's just a Jamma loom with AV cables and Neo ports all held together with tie wraps. Doesn't look like much but it plays the games... And cost me about a tenner all in. Smile

Ben Heck still does the best CMVSs known to man, imo.

STE C
Ben Heck sounds like a movie villain but would like to see some of his work if you have any pics. Hey Shiny I didn't know you had modding skills I would have came to you for my CMVS if I knew , I maybe should not have said that you may get a influx of members wanting CMVS lol

Shiny
Heck's the fucking mod master... And not just Neo stuff, click that pic.

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/NeGeo_Pic11.jpg

I love the 360 laptop...

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
Talking about CMVS check out this beauty , come on Ninja you know you want it. If I dident have one already or if I had the cash spare I would snap it up thats about the best ive seen on ebay its way better looking than mine. Im getting horny looking at it.

Shiny wrote:
I don't wanna piss on anyone's bonfire but I think it looks horrible...

SORRY STE...
but I'm gonna have to agree with Sir Shine on this one. It's not very pretty and it's 300 too! Fuck me!! Even though it's a cool concept, I cannot escape the fact that it's a MegaDrive2. I think if the whole top section had the 'distinct' MD2 buttons removed and was replaced (after shell modification) with different buttons altogether, it would've looked better.

ODDLY...
If I ever went for a CMVS, I would actually like an AES (dead, preferably!) modded into a CMVS... tastefully done of course (and I have taste btw, so I know the difference!).

That would be cool, if not pretentious. Best of both worlds though: Cool looking AES-type deck with cheap ass gaming potential! Whats not to like?

Ninja

STE C
Ben Heck I agree that guy is a genius thanks for the link Shiny I shall keep an eye on what he is up to. I did not actually realise that NG was a MD2 case unitil you told me and I looked further , yeah agree the shine has gone off it a bit now.

Basashi King
nice link shiny!

interesting to see peoples opinions on this one. cmvs is the no brainer option for the gamer as has been said; im only going aes as i can get comparatively good deals on the carts and i enjoy the collecting. there are plenty of games that i want to buy before thinking about conversions, but i would be interested in the possibility of bagging a conversion of a slug at some point. its a game id like to have but you have to draw the line somewhere about how much to blow on a game, and id draw it there!

@ turbocro i dont check ebay but you might be surprised at the price of rotd on cart in japan. to pick one up mint costs quite a bit; to be honest my feeling is that the sellers make most money on games that go for cheaper than that.

TurboCro
Basashi King wrote:
@ turbocro i dont check ebay but you might be surprised at the price of rotd on cart in japan. to pick one up mint costs quite a bit; to be honest my feeling is that the sellers make most money on games that go for cheaper than that.

The thing is, just a couple of years ago they were selling for a little under $300 USD. It's a good game, but not worth more than MOTW.

Powerwave
all i can say about this ben heck guy is woooooowwwww, i realy want a mvs home console. i bet that would cost me alot though huhShock
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

NeoGeoNinja
TurboCro wrote:
The other side of the issue is AES cart price manipulation on ebay (and I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory), but I think its true. Take ROTD for example, no ebay seller is selling one under 700 USD. Ridiculous. Even the Japanese Kizuna (*NM) goes for over 700 USD now. I really think the upper tier of AES cart prices should be $500. And I don't see them selling, they're the same copies at the same asking price from various sellers. Seems like price fixing to me.

PRICE FIXING...
is a big issue as far as I'm concerned. I felt that it has always been the case that if one person lists a game for say 150 (i.e. Radiant Silvergun) then chances are that all other consecutive 'listers' will list at the same price, as if it's some kind of average or something. Very annoying.

AS FOR ROTD?...
$700 for a game is insanity! To be honest though, any AES (or other format game) that is over 100 MAX is really pushing it IMO. The most I have ever paid for a game is between 150 & 175, one of which I would consider a rarity... the other (Radiant Silvergun!) I would not. Seems common as muck to me. It just has a 'Treasure' price tag! I don't know what ROTD's story is, but I've never seen it for less than $500 myself... seemingly $300 would have been a steal! Is syill say, if someone is selling it for $700 and some randomer goes on, who paid a normal price for it (say $250) and see's other copies for $700, will list theirs at the same price, as opposed to say, not knowing how much others are sold for and listing it for a more realistic $200-$300... if you get my point??!

As for MSlug being around $1000/1000(?)... fuck that!!! Shock

Ninja

RiKo
just on quick so will post better tommorrow. I have afew conversions - Shock troopers 1, twinkle Star Sprites, Kizuna Encounter, Breakers revenge. Basically either games that are on MVS only or ones which are too expensive for me to buy. I don't have a problem with conversions, my favs are ones with instructions books too. I want to get Metal Slug and Blazing Star and Strikers and a Last Hope one cos thats a rip off as it stands.

I would rather have more games like Twinkle Star Sprites,Breakers revenge available in AES form. I love the AES game boxes and for me that is a big part of the joy of the Neo geo. MVS games are cool too though, just its extra special having a lovely box and a beautiful cart - not so much in US or Euro form cos the boxes don't look as good as the awesome jap ones.
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Jump to Forum: