Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2100
Thread Info
There are 24 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 15357 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Sengoku 2 is the best, amirite?
Definitely! Best beat 'em Up on the console! Definitely! Best beat 'em Up on the console! 5%[1 Vote]
Its very good, but not perfect Its very good, but not perfect 37%[7 Votes]
Its ok, but nothing special Its ok, but nothing special 26%[5 Votes]
Ugh, very bad... Ugh, very bad... 5%[1 Vote]
Haven't played this, but it looks fun...! Haven't played this, but it looks fun...! 26%[5 Votes]
Total Votes : 19
 Print Thread
Sengoku 2 discussion
The eccentric cat
Hello, time for a new Game of the Week!

The Sengoku series isn't exactly well known, its usually referred to as mediocre... this one might not be an exception. If you didn't like the first Sengoku, I don't think many'll enjoy this one. Though, it IS in improvement over this first one. So Sengoku fans'll find something to like here! ^^

Sengoku 2/ Sengoku Denshou 2

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/sengoku2_t2.jpg

Players: 2
Genre: Beat 'em Up
Size: 74 Megs
Released on: AES, MVS, Neo CD

Brief Description:

Sengoku 2 is a beat 'em up by SNK for the Neo Geo, released in 1993. The player can gain powerups so that the player can change into more powerful forms, such as a samurai-like being, an armor-clad wolf, or a more traditionally-themed ninja to attack the opposing forces of the undead. Power ups in the form of different colored orbs included being able to wield one katana (red orb ), a pair of katanas (blue orb ), a broadsword (purple orb ), or to launch an energy-based attack (yellow orb ). (Note: Power up effects differed depending on which form the player used. Those listed are for the standard form.)

Screenshots

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_120/sengoku2title.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_120/sengoku2intro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_120/sengoku2shot.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_120/sengoku2shot2.jpeg

Reviews:

Sengoku 2 review by Kazuya_UK

Videos

Sengoku 2 Playthrough (Part 1)

YouTube Video

Highscore Challenge

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=2102

Past GOWT Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->

#36 Neo Drift Out -->

#37 Magical Drop 2 -->

#38 Top Hunter -->

#39 Savage Reign -->

#40 Metal Slug 2/X -->

#41 Alpha Mission 2 -->

#42 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->

#43 Art of Fighting 2 -->

#44 Super Sidekicks -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 29. November 2009 22:23
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Will
I daresay this game beats its predacessor but I don't think it could ever catch up to its next generation "Sengoku 3". Still I prefer the Sengoku 1 transformations and transportation mode as opposed to the Sengoku 2 sorts. The horse riding in certain stages is far too easy for players. The slash and thrust techniques make the game more interesting than just a simple attack move. The music is definitely better than the tracks in the first game. I wish the years would be specified instead those 19XX etc., that's so common in video games, I long to know the exact decade and year and not just the century. This game has certainly earned its long gap attention from the first game.

Mr Vengeance
I don't like scrolling fighters generally, but this looks okay I guess, never played it. Is it expensive on AES?

Shiny
I'm a big fan of Sengoku 2. The game gets better and better, more fun and more interesting the further through it you progress. I think most dismissers probably do so without giving it the time it deserves.

Graphically, it's overshadowed by Sengoku 3 but this game, imo, is far more interesting and holds my attention far longer.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

gudrummer
i have it for the AES, but haven't played it a lot.... definitely an improvement over the first one.

boogiepop
Shiny wrote:
I'm a big fan of Sengoku 2. The game gets better and better, more fun and more interesting the further through it you progress. I think most dismissers probably do so without giving it the time it deserves.

Graphically, it's overshadowed by Sengoku 3 but this game, imo, is far more interesting and holds my attention far longer.

I'll have to give it another shot then as I am not too keen on the third game. It's nice, but way too many of the same enemies over, and over. Doubt I'd ever buy it though at the price it goes for.
Born to Die

STE C
I have this on NGCD and it was a bugger to track down, I also believe this is the case with the MVS/AES versions as I have only seen the MVS copy once on ebay and it was 120. The game itself is a game of its time a little dated but fun all the same.

I have only played the 1st game on emu but 2 seems to be the better game, I kinda like the weird feel to the game and the colourful graphics its like it nothing really fits together and the enemy's and bosses are very bizarre but that's its charm so I voted its ok, playing this in the early 90s I would have said great.

TurboCro
I haven't played this yet and don't plan on getting it. Not because its that bad per se, but Final Fight is still the ultimate 2d beat em up imho. It's also the only reason I still keep a sega cd hooked up.

Shiny
boogiepop wrote:
Shiny wrote:

I'll have to give it another shot then as I am not too keen on the third game. It's nice, but way too many of the same enemies over, and over. Doubt I'd ever buy it though at the price it goes for.

STE C wrote:
I have this on NGCD and it was a bugger to track down, I also believe this is the case with the MVS/AES versions as I have only seen the MVS copy once on ebay and it was 120. The game itself is a game of its time a little dated but fun all the same.

I have only played the 1st game on emu but 2 seems to be the better game, I kinda like the weird feel to the game and the colourful graphics its like it nothing really fits together and the enemy's and bosses are very bizarre but that's its charm so I voted its ok, playing this in the early 90s I would have said great.

It is pricey, huh, I bought the NGCD version for about 10 I think back in the day... Worth every penny and then some. Well worth a blast emulated, imo it's probably the best scroller the Neo has to offer. Admittedly that isn't saying a great deal when compared to Capcom's best but hey, Neo scrollers can be damn good fun all the same.

TurboCro wrote:
I haven't played this yet and don't plan on getting it. Not because its that bad per se, but Final Fight is still the ultimate 2d beat em up imho. It's also the only reason I still keep a sega cd hooked up.

I'm so incredibley bored of Final Fight... Imo Streets of Rage 2 on the MD is better in almost every way. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs is, for my money, the best scroller there is. Better looking, better sounding, more fun and infinitely more interesting than Final Fight. Saying that I'd take most of Capcom's scrollers over FF. I loved FF back in the day but it really is the poor cousin when compared to other Capcom efforts like Punisher, AvP et al.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

merlin
I love Sengoku 2. I've never been all that keen on the first game in the series which I think hasn't aged very well at all. The second installment is so much better in every way with graphics and gameplay much improved. One thing I really like about the game is that there's a lot of variety between stages including the sections where you are drawn into the spirit realm and the brief but fun horse riding sections. The intro and start of the game are pretty memorable when the princess speaks to you and then the dragon appears with some very dramatic music.

Like I've said before SNK although they made some fun side scrollers where never really in the same league as Capcom, IGS and Konami with this genre. I'd say probably Tower of Doom, Shadow Over Mystara, Denjin Makai 2 and the Knights of Valour series are the best side scrollers I've played.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

Raiken
To be honest I've only played part 3 of this series. I enjoyed it a fair amount. Maybe I'll give the other 2 a shot when I've got the time.
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

NeoGeoNinja
TurboCro wrote:

Shiny wrote:
I'm so incredibley bored of Final Fight... Imo Streets of Rage 2 on the MD is better in almost every way. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs is, for my money, the best scroller there is. Better looking, better sounding, more fun and infinitely more interesting than Final Fight. Saying that I'd take most of Capcom's scrollers over FF. I loved FF back in the day but it really is the poor cousin when compared to other Capcom efforts like Punisher, AvP et al.

YEAH BUT...
FFight, even though, sure, it's a simple premise, is so precise and fast! It's an amazing game, and made in '89 no less... plenty of time for SOR2 to attempt catch-up. I can see, overall, why SOR2 would appeal more to some/most(?) but the characters lack (aside Axel... Blaze is cool, but looks like a hooker from Terminator and as for those other 2?? Adam? ADAM?? ADAAAAAAAAM... pls come back ;_; ) also, playability and responsiveness is 'just' off on SOR2 IMO... I still (regardless of GFX) prefer the original SOR. The actual 'fighting' itself feels a lot better, even if it doesn't have the nicer levels, music (Yuzo!) & specials. Oddly one of the coolest things I liked/look forward to on SOR1 was using Blaze... and then kicking 7-bells out of her 'evil' sisters (complete with deeper voices... there was just "HEE"... "HEE"... "hee"... "HEE"... "hee"... "hee"... etc frikkin' EVERYWHERE!)

MY FAVE...
Capcom sidescrollers are (all of them, duh...) Captain Commando, Battle Circuit, FFight and of course AVP & C&D! They're all amazing games!! CapCom(mando) is still my fave though... the 4P mode is sick! *Ginzu beat the Dolg* (Dolg??!)
Also, like Merlin said, D&D SOMystaria is damn good (I have it on SAT) and so is Tenchi Wo Kurau 2 (it does have a non-wanker sounding UK/US localisation).

Ah... Final Fight 3 on SNES is also very good too... and deeper than FF1!

Haggar PDriver >EVERYONE< ftw Headbang

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

TurboCro
@Shiny: Yea, I know FF has been played out, but it still keeps me coming back. Might be because of nostalgia but I also feel its the right length for a beat-em up. I agree that SOR2 is great and definitely a contender, but FF is still my fav.

@Ninja: I gave up FF on the SNES after the crap that was FF2. But you got my attention. FF3 is on my get list now. CapCommando rocks!
Edited by TurboCro on 11. November 2009 04:03

boogiepop
Raiken, Arrow Flash? For shame. Wink
Born to Die

NeoGeoNinja
TurboCro wrote:
@Ninja: I gave up FF on the SNES after the crap that was FF2. But you got my attention. FF3 is on my get list now. CapCommando rocks!

I ACTUALLY...
quite liked FF2 on the SNES, even though admittedly, it is the weakest of the 3. I like Maki (as per my Avatar ^_^). FF1 ran on CPS1 as well, making it more polished than the SNES efforts too... which admittedly, as per your SEGA CD comment, you realised FF1 on SNES was pretty shameful (no Guy/Cody... you choose! Id've preferred a 3rd version with no playable Haggar, where say, he just sat at his desk like a good mayor/retired wrestler and dished out his orders to 'the other two' as overall, I always found them more fun. One having to use Haggar always caused disputes between my friends!)

Shame Capcom didn't consider FF2 & FF3 for arcade release, I don't think limiting the sequels to a home console (back then) was such a good idea. Hmmm CPS2 for FF2 & CPS3 for FF3 Grin I know I'm dreaming. but it's a nice thought... a CPS3 quality beat em up by Capcom... Wow!

ALSO...
regarding FF3, it's deeper than FF1 (i.e. dashes, dashing attacks, specials, supers!) but due to it not being Arcade Hardware, it's still not quite up to the original (even though it's arguable) but nonetheless, is still very enjoyable! Either try it on Emu prior to purchase or try and get it cheap ('cause my PAL copy is worth a fortune now!). Not sure how much it runs for overseas Hmm

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Glowsquid
Very good. A big improvement over the ugly-as-sin, stupidly difficult first game.

Raiken
boogiepop wrote:
Raiken, Arrow Flash? For shame. Wink

Yeah I really got into it recently. It's not my fave Genesis/Megadrive shmup though. That will always be MUSHA Aleste.

STE C
Gley Lancer is the definitive MD shooter , Whip Rush is way better than Arrow Flash and which one got a UK release bloody Arrow Flash. so much for the Sengoku 2 forum lol

Raiken
STE C wrote:
Gley Lancer is the definitive MD shooter , Whip Rush is way better than Arrow Flash and which one got a UK release bloody Arrow Flash. so much for the Sengoku 2 forum lol

Thread successfully derailed! HohoGrin

WERY
Have not played it but I want to and it is on the wishlist. Recently found it on ebay but it was helluva expensive like the most games are, above their actual value. Hope to find it some day and at a fair price
The Duce

Jump to Forum: