Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Basashi King
Thread ID: 2077
Thread Info
There are 24 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5296 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Whch is the best Real Bout game?
Real Bout Real Bout 14%[2 Votes]
Real Bout Special Real Bout Special 7%[1 Vote]
Real Bout 2 Real Bout 2 57%[8 Votes]
Not Sure Not Sure 21%[3 Votes]
Total Votes : 14
 Print Thread
Which is the best Real Bout?
Basashi King
Theres been a lot of love expressed on this site for the series. I currently own rbs and really enjoy it. i have never played the first game though although i believe it has controversial ring outs. ive played rb2 a couple of times, although i found its frenetic 'get in the ring' business a little off-putting. i am curious as to whether 2 plays better than special, though. i read a review on neogeo.com which favours special; a gamer friend agrees with this opinion. i suspect some of you disagree though and if thats true, i want to know!

please vote in the poll as i just want to know which one you think is the better game. if you have the time, id appreciate if you can explain why.

STE C
Good thread sir I am voting RB2 as I recon its possibly the most intense and graphically one the the best games on the NG. Its little more forward if that makes any sense and cuts out a lot of the stuff in RBS ( which most people like ) but the two extra characters really swing it for me as I find them both fun to play.

Its very close mind as I do love the polished presentation of RBS and the music on the NGCD version is fantastic ( but load times are worst of any cd game) so I usually play it on MVS. As for RB I know this game has many fans but I prefer FF3 which was released the same year.

Powerwave
the whole real bout thing comes up alott in these forums and for a good reason. imo it is the game to rival and totaly beat the alpha games. i used to be a uggge fan of real bout special and it was my fave for a long time. but then i played rb2 and that changed everything. although real bout 2 lacks in presentation it wins for me in the fighting department.
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

Mr Vengeance
Its between Special and 2 for me.. I previously backed Special, but find myself playing 2 more these days....

Slightly better graphics, super fast pace and some more fighters make it slightly better in my book. Its close thogh, Special has amazing backgrounds, and some of the characters are better in Special.....

You can't go wrong with either, but 2 just shades it for me - plus I love the box art! Grin

Basashi King
i do enjoy trashing the bits at the edges of the screen on special - especially the hk pigs! shame they removed that in 2.

Wild Tengu
RB2. And I'll tell why - It made everything better.

- You get a better knockdown recovery that costs no power.
- You can roll into the background when knocked down.
- Combo system is way better.
- Super moves are easier to pull off.
- P-Power super moves have a pause and are generally easier to combo into.

Not to mention it's alot more balanced, and far fewer bugs/glitches in this game compared to RBS and RB1.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
cthulhu
I prefer Real Bout 2, it's got the best graphics and music of the series and the controls are really smooth...can't really find a difference between Real Bout 2 and Real Bout Special in the gameplay department (maybe that's because I'm not the best player in the world so I wouldn'tbe able to notice it in any way). I really like the others as well, but when it comes to actually fighting, this game is the purest of the three, it doesn't have any gimmicks (which were pretty nice though to be honest).
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Zakatek
I love all RB games. First game was the first snk fighting game that i learnt to play at arcade so it is special for me. But i agree RB 2 has best gameplay in RB games but presentation could be better the P-power super move effects look cool though. I don't know which one to choose.
Edited by Zakatek on 25. October 2009 17:32

TurboCro
I love the first RB the most. While I know the ring outs kill any kind of tournament play, I enjoy them especially when playing with friends.

merlin
I love all three Real Bout games. Definitely some of the best fighters on the Neo Geo with stunning graphics and really fun gameplay.

The first game is great but the lack of backgrounds and the ring outs are a problem for me. At first I liked the ring outs because it was something a bit different but it started to frustrate me after a while.

Real Bout Special was a definite improvement. I think it plays a bit better and therea re loads of nice backgrounds now.

For me there's very little to choose between RBFFS and RBFF2 but one of the main reasons why I prefer the latter is because of Li Xiangfei. She's a great addition to the series and I really enjoy using here a lot.

Wild Tengu
cthulhu wrote:can't really find a difference between Real Bout 2 and Real Bout Special in the gameplay department

RB2 is alot faster, different combo's, and the plane shift is different, instead of you and you're opponent being able to shift between the two planes, only one of you can be in the back plane, and you return to the front plane after dashing in the background or attacking. That was pretty much the biggest change.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
cthulhu
Wild Tengu wrote:
RB2 is alot faster, different combo's, and the plane shift is different, instead of you and you're opponent being able to shift between the two planes, only one of you can be in the back plane, and you return to the front plane after dashing in the background or attacking. That was pretty much the biggest change.

Now you mention it, even I noticed some of those things (still a crappy player, so a lot of subtle things go unnoticed by me). I have to say that those changes, even though they're not many, do make a difference and make the game nicer for me.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Basashi King
quite a consensus. thanks a lot gents - rb2 is officially added to the must buy list!

Mr Vengeance
Basashi King - the first thing that will hit you on playing RB2 is the speed - I likened it to a Wario Ware game elsewhere - there is no fucking about it this game - you win the fight and are instantly catapulted into the next one! And the speed of gameplay in incredible too. You've also got two bosses, with which one you face coming down to how good you play.

It really is an incredible video game, but make sure you hold onto Special - its still stands up as one of the best games on the system too.

Anyway, I put on the first RB last night for a few rounds - its still a lot of fun, with a lovely combo system, and the handful of stages are gorgeous to look at. Its not in the same league as Special and 2 however, they are masterpieces. I enjoyed playing it a lot last night though, ad will continue playing it later today. It may be outclassed by its follow ups, but its still well wortth owning I believe Smile

RiKo
I'm not sure if I've played RB2. I have RBS though and I love it, esp Franco Bash, who despite his tache, is as hard as a brick outhouse on steroids.

I do miss the old control system though, my memories a bit rubbish but doesn't this just use 3 buttons.

Graphics + presentation in RBS are top notch too Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Mr Vengeance
@Riko - mate, if you like RBS the I couldn't recommend RB2 enough - as you may remember I got RBS over the summer, and loved it and wanted MORE - bought RB2 soon after and have enjoyed it as much, maybe even more than RBS - definately up there as my favourie Neo Geo games ever, along with KOF 2002.

Inspired by this thread, I got stuck into the RB series this afternoon, starting with 1, and I played through all 3 with Sokaku. I'd recommend you guys do the same, its nice to play through the series and see how the characters change - poor old Sokaku goes down in my findings as the series progressed, though his Thunder God attacks are pretty amazing in RB2.

Just love these games anyway, beginning to appreciate RB1 now a little more - very fun combo system! Moody visuals too.

TurboCro wrote:
I love the first RB the most. While I know the ring outs kill any kind of tournament play, I enjoy them especially when playing with friends.

This afternoon, Mai had battered me on the third stage, and broke down the barrier. I was just about to go out, but jumped in the air as she attacked with one of her specials, and as I was in the air she went flying out of the stage - brilliant!

The ring outs are pretty cool I think, but I'm not bothered they were removed from the latter two games. I guess they give RB1 a personality of its own.

RiKo
cool I like ring-outs I wish they had them in all teh games - theres one where you can knock someone onto a train and then the train takes them away - not sure which game that is Smile

Thanks vengeance, I do remember now that I do have RB2 actually, I will prob remember it when I start playing it again. lol my memory really is shoddy at the moment! I probably didnt play it for very long. Its the one which has Terry's cap being trod on on the front. That cover is quite an emotive one I think.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Mr Vengeance
The cover to RB2 is one of my all time favourites - up there with Ninja Master's and KOF 2002 I think!

Glad to hear you have RB2 anyway Riko, why not give it a quick blast and see what you think?

Basashi King
just to wrap this up - got rb2 today and it does indeed appear better than rbs. im very happy with it.

thanks as always for the input on the games gents.

ETA is it just me or is tung the daddy in rb2? loving the old codger.
Edited by Basashi King on 30. October 2009 13:41

Tetsuo Yagami
RBS with RB1 coming in at a close second place.

I liked the plane system in RBS better than the other games, all my fave characters from RB1 are even MORE useful, the game felt smoother than RB1, and the endings were hilarious.

I LOOOVE RB1, though...I own with Geese on that...

Jump to Forum: