Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2074
Thread Info
There are 35 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 15674 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Art of Fighting 2 discussion
Will
I don't recall wall kicks in AOF2, but that's one good feature in every fighting game. Indeed the controls intensify the difficulty the game already has. What is more I would say the CPU cheats, because there are certain directions the player has to pull the joystick for 2 seconds with a combination of buttons to activate the move, whereas the CPU can activate the moves in under 2 seconds.

In between stages the players always travel by helicopter to get from one location in Southtown to the next. This feature doesn't fit with all players. The Sakazakis are too poor to afford helicopter transport. I would prefer different transport types to match the characters. Ryo has got his motorcycle, Robert has got his Mitsubishi Lancer, Mr. Big has got a black sedan and the others would have their own convenient transportation.

NeoGeoNinja
Will wrote:
...Indeed the controls intensify the difficulty the game already has.

Absolutely. The game, potentially, could've been a lot better than it already is... just by employing a standard FF-esque 4 button set-up. As it is, the time-delay system they utilised harms the responsiveness required for a game that is already considerably difficult. Oddly though I do find the difficulty of the notorious control method all part of AOF2's charm.

Will wrote:
...What is more I would say the CPU cheats, because there are certain directions the player has to pull the joystick for 2 seconds with a combination of buttons to activate the move, whereas the CPU can activate the moves in under 2 seconds.

Definitely. But the ability to do charge moves instantly and so on has always been one of the factors nearly all fighting games cheat. Like Guiles instant from standing Flash Kicks in the SF2 games for example. The way AOF2 truly cheats is by reading your key inputs, which it quite obviously and offensively does, but then, this wouldn't be the first Neo/SNK game to do this.

Will wrote:
In between stages the players always travel by helicopter to get from one location in Southtown to the next. This feature doesn't fit with all players. The Sakazakis are too poor to afford helicopter transport. I would prefer different transport types to match the characters. Ryo has got his motorcycle, Robert has got his Mitsubishi Lancer, Mr. Big has got a black sedan and the others would have their own convenient transportation.

I've heard you mention this before, elsewhere. whilst the majority of us wouldn't notice this, I can see how it may mildly frustrate you from within. I'd be entertained if you would propose a list of each characters chosen transportation method
i.e. Jack on a Harley Davidson style bike, Lee in a Tuc Tuc, John in an old-school jeep... or indeed a helicopter! Some of the other one's are a little more difficult... I cannot think what Takuma or Temjin would drive! Perhaps Takuma would drive a classic like an old 70's Skyline 2000GT? In black of course!

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Powerwave
well ninja: im not a huge fan of todo but as you said i like how he fits into the story with kazumi as well. i do prefer todo over temjin though i find temjin real annoying but in terms of playablility they both stink.

im seeing alot of love for yuri but i agree shes adorable. my faves have to be takuma/mr. karate cuz hes a real badass man man, john crawley cuz he has funny quotes in the english version and i like his moves. but my fave has to be king one of my fave characters i the snk universe and i like playing as her too.
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

TurboCro
Powerwave wrote:
my faves have to be takuma/mr. karate cuz hes a real badass man man

Truth!

HexElf
This series always relied more on pure style than anything. It has a surprisingly strong narrative - despite the engrish - for a fighting game and the cast is damn solid throughout. Even the uglies have a truly distinct look and fighting style that goes with it. However, of the three games in the series I like this one the least. The AI is absurdly unfair, my main man Lee looks really bizarre and it lacks the sort of timeless charm that you see in the other two.

But at least AOF2 deserves some kudos for doing the first real crossover with Geese being the boss, introducing Yuri - and her funky theme - to the mainstream and seriously improving the multiplayer experience over the first game.
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
yf19a
Hi guys

I am a new member Smile My introduction is in arrivals lounge. I have been a Neo Geo fan for 20 years and played AOF1 in 92-93 era MVS for first time. Anyways, I stumbled on this thread and after reading countless posts on how difficult it was could not resist and decided to join.

Now, I assume people here are grand master experts of Neo Geo and know their stuff inside out. Please Please tell me you guys already know that AI in AOF2 is the stupidest of almost all famous Neo Geo pre 98 games? Right? Tell me you know how to beat this game knowing AI's stupid behavior but you choose not to exploit it?

I am referring to Dash, Dash, BC, Throw, super move>>> AI dizzy >> super blow move >>AI losing 60-70% power Smile pattern. Everybody in arcades knew this. You can try whatever moves you like to experiment if it feels like you are losing the round…. rinse and repeat the pattern!

I am assuming so...

I played this game in 94 in MVS and it was one of the easiest games I ever played on neo geo with most bat-sh!t insane AI (as in without an I). Back in the day and still if I tried I can defeat almost any AI including Geese perfect and yes both rounds. With 3 or 4 different characters.

Please excuse this post if you all know this. Since I have never seen this pattern mentioned anywhere and only have seen people saying how difficult it is I have to assume that they either do not know this or choose never to employ this tactic.

Either way my two cents

BTW thank you for a wonderful neo geo forum
Edited by yf19a on 24. August 2011 17:50

NeoGeoNinja
@YF19A...
cheers for this. Yeah, the A"I'" can work both ways I guess. I for one never played this back in the day, so I have no knowledge of such repeated strategies. All I know is, if you are NOT privy to such strategies, that the game can be unfair and difficult. But if you have a workaround, like the one you describe, that's cool. Surely though, having such a calculated and scientific solution to the game somehow removes the enjoyment... completely (for 1P, at least)

Any chance you can upload a video of you in action?! I'd love to give it a watch! Grin

Ninja

yf19a
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
@YF19A...

Any chance you can upload a video of you in action?! I'd love to give it a watch! Grin

Ninja

Sadly, I am a Luddite so cannot be much of a help there. But believe me it is REALLY easy to do.

Anyone can do it on level 4,5,6 you name it.

You have to understand the core strategy of this revolves around the fact that in AOF2 when AI gets up after a throw it is completely open to an attack 100% of the time if you do it right.

The second thing you have to understand is that right after a throw when AI is up and unguarded any special moves (no spirit bar limit) will result in AI getting dizzy!

Once you have understood these two things the rest of the game is a pure joke. You can do whatever the heck you feel like and let us say you are around 20% remaining power and you feel the need to win.

1.Dash forward>> throw or use BC kick. If you use BC grab AI as soon as its up and throw. It will either fall or rebound. If rebound repeat 1 otherwise go to 2

2. As soon as Ai gets up place a well timed special move say fireball. AI gets dizzy 100% of the time

3. Do as you please Smile

If you time things well you can crush AI with all sorts of moves. AOF2 has most patterns in any MVS fighting game I have seen or otherwise. It is SUPER easy to do.
Edited by yf19a on 24. August 2011 21:28

neros
This Neo Game is awesome! It's hard yes, BUT if you learn how to beat the different types of enemy's and stick with it even if you get beaten all the time you will get better and the game will show you it's true power! In other words it's not that tough if you learn how to play the game.

And by the way the controls are spot on..
My youtube channel:

https://www.youtu...er/neros77

www.ipaint.dk
rugal2000-returns
This game is the biggest let down on the neo geo.I loved the first game and I recall in 1996 driving to cex in harrow to buy a bargain aes copy of this game for 35 pounds.on the way back I held the beautifully designed cart in my hands.when I switched it on my hands were shaking with anticipation.the astonishing presentation,opening movie and new graphics hit me,and I nearly collapsed in happiness at the graphics and character select screen ......than I played it.....to this day not just the hardest fighter of all time but cheap gameplay....often the same move win a fights.....huge disappointment.I wish one day someone can hack this game and make it easier

vas
I never really given any of these any time just a few rounds here and there have to give it a proper go tonight

NeoGeoNinja
vas wrote:

I never really given any of these any time just a few rounds here and there have to give it a proper go tonight

It's a great, great game.

I've found that I have grown to love and respect it more with age and more experience of the Neo's overall fighting game library (i.e. the more obscure, un-obvious stuff - like Double Dragon, Kabuki Klash, Gowcaizer etc).

One thing I still haven't had the pleasure of though, in all these years, is 2P vs!

I genuinely believe that, in the right hands, that this came could really come to life as a vs fighter...

Shiny
AoF2 was amazing at the time. If you want an accurate comparison of the difference in technology between the arcade regular home consoles, stick the SNES SF2 on one TV and Neo AoF2 on another. The difference is enormous. That is how I remember Neo AES as a teen: godly.

There were queues, no kidding, queues to join in in the arcade. From a solely visual standpoint there was nothing close to it at the time and that drew folk in like Rolf at a primary school.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Majestic_Lizard
As a player vs player game it was fun in the arcades. Playing against the computer was a different matter. The CPU opponents can somehow "see" what move you are performing and automatically perform the perfect counter move or evasion (or inexplicably not be damaged). The CD version also seemed to have a more unfair AI than the MVS for some reason. The controls are not very good, but on the real console (with no lag) and with a real controller it is at least passable. Any kind of lag at all in the interface (as with emulation) results in a hopeless experience.

mehguy
It doesn't hold up well and shows it's age. I normally don't enjoy early neo games as much as the newer ones.

Jump to Forum: