Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Michael Max
Thread ID: 2065
Thread Info
There are 11 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2948 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Idea For a New Shenmue-esque Game!
Michael Max
Ok, I have this idea for a game and I want to see who else out there thinks this would be a SWEET game and would buy it if it came out.
The game would be a re-invisioning of the first Fatal Fury game. It would be set in southtown and would be on the next gen consoles...Ps3 and Xbox 360. Here's the spin, it would not be a traditional fighting game, it would be a very deep and rich story driven game similar to the structure of Shenmue (a game which to me, hasn't been matched in terms of genre-mold-breaking-orinality). You would walk around the streets of Southtown as Andy Bogard, trying to avenge your fathers death at the hands of Geese. There would be mystery aspects to the game, much like Shenmue. Looking for leads and clues to help find where Geese is hiding so you could give him a proper beating. There would be lots of dialougue with people, and deciscion making. And there would be fight scenes and action scenes when the story called for it. Maybe the fight scenes could be a 2-d fight experience rendered in 3-d. I'm thinking the graphics of SF4 here. And there could be an option to just play an arcade mode where you fight all the battles like a traditional fighting game. But the RPG mode would be where the real heart of the game was. And just a side note...the game would work just as well with AOF too, maybe better because of the "find the kidnapped sister mystery" aspect. But either way i think it would be sick and i'd pay 100 bucks for it. Ok, well, i know its a stretch, and I know a game like this would take a TON of work from SNK and probably years and years to complete...but who out there (other than me) would buy it. Post your thoughts here.
Edited by Michael Max on 21. October 2009 14:54

STE C
I would buy it , Shenmue 2 possibly the greatest game of all time but unfortunately SNK would not be able to finance such a game , after all it nearly crippled Sega although I would say it was almost worth it. But great idea Max

Basashi King
id buy it for sure! i think our michael max must see fatal fury in his sleep!

Michael Max
STE C wrote:
I would buy it , Shenmue 2 possibly the greatest game of all time but unfortunately SNK would not be able to finance such a game , after all it nearly crippled Sega although I would say it was almost worth it. But great idea Max

Never got the chance to play shenmue 2 unfortunately. I loved the first one so much though. And it was such a cliffhanger ending! You're right, it wouldn't be practical to take on a game of that financial magnitude. One must keep the dream alive though.

Wild Tengu
Andy Bogard? C'mon...

Plus being just a re-imagining of the first Fatal Fury game, it would be ridiculously short, since the whole focus on Fatal Fury is the KOF tournament. Not to mention most of the characters in the original FF were hardly memorable.

Although the concept of a Shenmue like Fatal Fury game would be neat, it would have to be a much bigger game, so you'd have to include the stories and characters from the whole FF series. There could even be a 10 year time skip into the MOTW era, and you could play with older versions of classic FF characters, like Andy, Joe, Mai, Kim, Mary, Billy, Yamazaki, etc.

That would be much more interesting if you ask me.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
Michael Max
Wild Tengu wrote:
Andy Bogard? C'mon...

Plus being just a re-imagining of the first Fatal Fury game, it would be ridiculously short, since the whole focus on Fatal Fury is the KOF tournament. Not to mention most of the characters in the original FF were hardly memorable.

Although the concept of a Shenmue like Fatal Fury game would be neat, it would have to be a much bigger game, so you'd have to include the stories and characters from the whole FF series. There could even be a 10 year time skip into the MOTW era, and you could play with older versions of classic FF characters, like Andy, Joe, Mai, Kim, Mary, Billy, Yamazaki, etc.

That would be much more interesting if you ask me.

Lol. U must not be an Andy Fan. Fair enough. I'm thinking Andy because he's got that underdog vibe. Terry and Joe would be companions that you would have to track down as the story developed. I don't mean for the characters or story to be limited to only FF1. I just mean for that to be a starting point. I'm thinking big here. Literally hundereds of people that you could talk to while walking the streets of South Town. Alot of new story elements to be written, side stories...other game tie-ins, etc. I agree that there should be the character selection for fighting mode but not for one player mode. The story I think would be better with just one perspective because a it is this game will be impossible to budget, and making extra first-person characters would push it way further into that category. But hell, it's all just hypothetical anyway, why not.
Edited by Michael Max on 22. October 2009 13:27

Wild Tengu
Terry will always be the true hero of the FF games. His design is way better, he's more casual, he has a way cooler personality and attitude than Andy, and overall, a much better move list. Making a game focused on Andy just won't work, he's not very popular. Although it would be fine if the game developed him a bit more on sidelines, but Terry is the king of fighters.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
The eccentric cat
lol Andy is Raiden. ;3
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

reelmojo
You had me at "Shenmue-esque." If there is ever any game that plays like Shenmue ever again I'll definitely buy it, FF tie-in or not.

Mr Vengeance
That is a brilliant idea Max! Grin I'd definately buy it.

But... whilst I like the sound of it being 3D, I think the battle scenes would be better if fought in pure 2D, ie 2D fighters on 2D backgrounds - whilst I personally like both 2D and 3D fighters, SNK are only really good and 2D I feel, as fun and the MI games are. What I would suggest, is if the graphics throughout the whole game were slightly cel-shaded, then the 2D fight scenes would look and feel more 2D, like the original titles in the series.

But apart from that, I'm supporting your idea 100% - good work bud!

shion
Not to derail, but I had a similar idea, except with the Tobal series. It would be a huge game; some parts of the story, quests, side stories and tournaments would take place on other planets (the mechanics would of course be based on Virtua Fighter). The dungeons would be huge, sort of like the worlds in Mario 64. I really do believe that video games need to go in this direction (on a wide scale level) before I can say I'm interested in the "current generation" again. Sega was really on to something with this sandbox/world/ilife genre, and I believe it't the next step the industry needs to take to give new breathe to video games in general. Until then we must tolerate mediocrity and redundancy.
Edited by shion on 26. April 2011 23:23

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Jump to Forum: