Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: arcadematt
Thread ID: 2064
Thread Info
There are 43 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8188 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Whats your Neogeo Over rated? Under rated?
arcadematt
Don't know If anyone has done a thread like this before, but I want to know which Neo Geo game you think Is under rated? And which Neo Geo game Is over rated? In your opinion.

Over rated = Last Resort. It's one of my least favorite shmups on the system. Its looks great but doesn't play as well as Its been rated on various sites/videos IMO.

Under rated = Zupupa. I love games like Bubble Bobble and Snow Bros so I rate this game much higher than most. I prefer this over Nightmare In the dark by some way. Its faster and you have the ability to slid down platforms. Where as In NITD you have to fall of the edge or jump off a platform, making the game more frustrating.

Powerwave
i think definately a real underated game is breakers and im not just saying that cuz i love it so. but because it is reaaalllly good in terms of gameplay and people refer to it as just a street fighter knock off.
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

boogiepop
Underrated: Money Idol Exchanger

Overrated: Whatever Shiny's playing at the moment ;p
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Yao
Powerwave wrote:
i think definately a real underated game is breakers and im not just saying that cuz i love it so. but because it is reaaalllly good in terms of gameplay and people refer to it as just a street fighter knock off.

I agree, Breakers is really heavily underrated. Many Fighting game fans don't even know it. I think its a wonderful game, and much more as just a rip-off. The only thing that I don't like about it is the small roster. It would have needed at least 4 more proper character designs. Its sad because with a couple more characters on one level with Sho and it would be perfect!

Wild Tengu
Overrated: KOF - This is the Neo-Geo franchise that gets the most attention, but I think there are way better fighting game series on the Neo than KOF. If it weren't for the massive rosters KOF was known for, it wouldn't be as popular.

Underrated: Karnov's Revenge aka Fighters History Dynamite - This game doesn't get enough love. Like many 2D fighters, it's just shrugged as a Street Fighter clone. This game is actually a pretty solid fighter, and deserves a fair chance.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
Glowsquid
Overrated - Magician Lord. It may have (and to some extend, still is) been impressive back then, but the controls are stiff and the level design is full of bullshit.

Underrated - Robo Army and Mutation Nation. Both decent beat'em up that get way too much hate.
Edited by Glowsquid on 21. October 2009 12:21

Michael Max
Overrated-Magician Lord. Decent Music and graphics but what a goofy main character. He looks like the wicked witch of the west for God sakes.

Underrated- Now this may sound strange, but I'm saying Fatal Fury. I know, I know, among neo geo fans, it's pretty much the most classic and well known game there is. But in the general public, I think this game was very underrated and under-appreciated. Street Fighter 2 stole all of it's glory. Most people do not even know about Fatal Fury. And in My opinion, the first Fatal Fury deserves more credit than it got. It had a better story than SF2...more dialogue sequences, and it introduced some of the best characters ever. What it lacks in move depth and speed it makes up for in personality. I still enjoy playing this game quite a bit. Most critical response I've read to Fatal Fury just bashes this game and treats it like Street Fighter II's retarted little brother. I think it deserves a much higher place in history than that.

Basashi King
i love the original fatal fury too. ill second the max and say its underrated. he made a great case for it. as for overrated games? not sure. i had a conversation with a gaming mate of mine who strongly believes garou is overrated and im surprised noone has mentioned that game here in this context. personally, garou is very high on my shopping list - although im loving ss4 too much right now!

STE C
I agree Fatal Fury really deserves more credit , I also think Ninja Combat is good fun but the most criminally underrated is Metal Slug 5.

Overrated I would say the Sengoku games I find them a bit bland and 3 is just to long and The World Heroes series I just cant get into them although I recall enjoying them in the early 90s.
Edited by STE C on 21. October 2009 15:13

Basashi King
id love to play sengoku 3 with a mate.

unfortunately the cart costs a frikkin bomb and i dont know so many hardcore retro gamers.

Yao
Basashi King wrote:
i had a conversation with a gaming mate of mine who strongly believes garou is overrated and im surprised noone has mentioned that game here in this context. personally, garou is very high on my shopping list - although im loving ss4 too much right now!

to overrate Garou MOTW is impossible. same for Last Blade 1 and Samurai Spirits 4.
Go and tell your friend!Smile

Basashi King
not the right place for this one yao, but last blade 1 or ss4? im going for sam 4!

i love garou too - played it a fair bit in the arcade. but he played the game quite a bit back in the day and it didnt rock his world.

i do think one of those kim types could have been axed for a more imaginitive design though.

Mr Vengeance
Overrated - I'm going to cheat and suggest two! Pfft

King of Fighters '98 - I play this game regularly and really enjoy it, but there is no way this is the best KOF on the Neo Geo. Whilst the roster is very big, the backgrounds and atmosphere are lacking, and the game isn't as deep as the latter entries in the series. But... its still KOF, and I love it, its just not as good as many people say in my opinion.

Samurai Shodown II - I think this is a very good, solid little fighter, and its dirt cheap to boot, however, I think the gameplay's slow pace means that it isn't great in one-player. Some of the characters aren't that appealing either, I think. Much better in two-player, but overall nowhere near as good as sme lead me to believe!

Underrated

Metal Slug 4 - I really like Metal Slug 4. Its not as big and as drawn out as 3, and I like the levels better than 2 / X. I particularly like the first mission. The bosses are also class! This is definately one of my favourites in the series (along with 1 and 6) and I hope to some day buy it for the AES.

merlin
arcadematt wrote:
Under rated = Zupupa. I love games like Bubble Bobble and Snow Bros so I rate this game much higher than most. I prefer this over Nightmare In the dark by some way. Its faster and you have the ability to slid down platforms. Where as In NITD you have to fall of the edge or jump off a platform, making the game more frustrating.

Zupapa is a really good game and definitely underrated. I used to always prefer it to Nightmare in the Dark but having spent a bit more time recently with the latter I'm not so sure. I do agree with you though that it's a bit strange in NITD that you can't jump directly down to the platform beneath like you can in Zupapa.

Although there are some underrated fighting games on the Neo Geo like the World Heroes series, Savage Reign, Kabuki Klash etc. the most underrated games on the system IMO actually belong to other genres e.g. Pochi and Nyaa.

Anyway here are my picks:

Most overrated:
Ninja Masters - There's no denying it's a good game but I just don't think it's as amazing as some people make out. Not in the same league as the Samurai Shodown and Last Blade series both in terms of gameplay and graphics.

Most underrated:
Crossed Swords - I can never understand why this isn't more popular. It's one of my favourite games of any genre on the Neo Geo. People tend to dismiss it as an original idea but it gets repetitive and boring. I never get tired of the gameplay myself. The game has an incredible atmosphere and travelling through the land of Belkana on your quest to defeat the evil Nausizz you feel you're on an epic quest. The graphics look very nice and colourful with a lot of variety between different scenes whether you're battling rat warriors in a forest or armoured knights in a castle. ADK should have made a third game in the series.
Edited by merlin on 23. October 2009 01:49

Wild Tengu
Mr Vengeance wrote:I think the gameplay's slow pace means that it isn't great in one-player.

Wut? Slow pace? Matches in SS2 can end in just several hits. Plus being an early 90's fighting game... none of those are "great" in one player, especially since there is no PRACTICE mode, the only one player mode worth a damn. Pfft

Everyone likes SS2 because it's one of the most competitive SS games. Same with KOF98, it's the most widely played game in the series competitively. Most of the other installments are just too broken and not worth playing, besides 2k2, and both 98UM and 2k2UM.

Michael Max wrote:It had a better story than SF2.

Kill the tournaments organizer because he killed your father. Yeah. Joe's involvement is pretty much irrelevant, he serves no purpose other than to fight his rival Hwa Jai. And with only three characters to play as, compared to Street Fighter II's eight, your not getting much. Not to mention SF2 had an actual combo system and many attack variations.

Of course, the Fatal Fury series vastly improved with a few sequels, hitting it's prime in RBS and RB2, before starting fresh in MOTW, which was also extremely good.

But comparing the first FF to SF2... not a good idea, FF1 just can't compete with SF2. On the other hand, if you're pitting FF1 against SF1, FF1 is definitely the better game.

Michael Max wrote:it introduced some of the best characters ever.

Terry Bogard, Joe Higashi, Richard Meyer, Tung Fu Rue, Billy Kane and Geese Howard, yeah, totally. They were among the best characters in the original Fatal Fury, and they all developed greatly over the sequels (Save for Richard Meyer who we wouldn't see playable ever again until KOFMI2) But throw away characters like Hwa Jai, Michael Max, and Raiden, forget it, these guys are lame, boring designs. Raiden at least went out to develop more in Fatal Fury 2 as Big Bear, and made a return as Raiden in FFWA, and Capcom even developed him more putting him in CvS, and his inclusion in KOFXII really helped him out a good deal, but he's no Tizoc.

Probably one of the reasons why Fatal Fury is so underrated is because there aren't enough cool and original designs, which is probably why guys like Michael Max, Hwa Jai, Jubei Yamada, and Axel Hawk were never seen again. The later installments like RB1/RBS/RB2 were good because they kept in all of the cool, original, and interesting characters, well, most of them anyways. But there were more better designs in the RB series than crap ones, plus many of the older designs became alot more fleshed out by then too, so even lame guys like Andy Bogard were now cool.

merlin wrote:Most overrated:
Ninja Masters - There's no denying it's a good game but I just don't think it's as amazing as some people make out.

Ninja Masters is overrated? lol, wut?
Edited by Wild Tengu on 22. October 2009 15:31

Shiny
boogiepop wrote:
Overrated: Whatever Shiny's playing at the moment ;p

Ninja Masters. When you're right you're right. Pfft

Mr Vengeance wrote:
Overrated

Samurai Shodown II - I think this is a very good, solid little fighter, and its dirt cheap to boot, however, I think the gameplay's slow pace means that it isn't great in one-player. Some of the characters aren't that appealing either, I think. Much better in two-player, but overall nowhere near as good as sme lead me to believe!

It's the best game evaR, I couldn't rate it highly enough.

Underrated

Metal Slug 4 - I really like Metal Slug 4. Its not as big and as drawn out as 3, and I like the levels better than 2 / X. I particularly like the first mission. The bosses are also class! This is definately one of my favourites in the series (along with 1 and 6) and I hope to some day buy it for the AES.

Agreed. I quite like MS4 too. Dismissed for political reasons I think, rather than the game itself, massively underrated in the series.

Wild Tengu wrote
merlin wrote:
merlin wrote:Most overrated:
Ninja Masters - There's no denying it's a good game but I just don't think it's as amazing as some people make out.

Ninja Masters is overrated? lol, wut?

Yup, THE most overrated Neo game there is. Probably.
Edited by Shiny on 22. October 2009 11:16
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Wild Tengu
I don't know about Ninja Masters being the most overrated Neo game there is... most people I know that dwell heavily with Neo fighters don't even know what it is, haven't played it, or just think the game sucks. Pfft

RiKo
Overated = Magician Lord
Underated = NAM-1975 and Breakers Revenge

Well i like Magician Lord, but definitely overated, on other systems I think it would have faded into the background, behind superior games. When I play it it always reminds me of Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga too.

I only realised how good NAM-1975 is after playing it for the score challenge. Its a brilliant shooter and unlike anything else on the Neo. I think some people might be put off by the gfx, but its really good!

Breakers Revenge is also awesome, its like a superior Street Fighter II. Its fast and plays really well. The only downside is the lack of good characters, some being a little generic and bland. Sho is awesome though!! The backgrounds arent great either but great gameplay triumphs.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
OPINIONS HERE FELLA'S...
seriously, just opinions Wink

UNDERRATED:
Galaxy Fight (GFX aren't top notch but the gameplays good Thumbs Up )
Ninja Masters (as this thread has proved so far)
World Heroes Series (aside WH1... the others are great!)
Real Bout 1 (the underdog of the 3 RB's, but I like it more myself, GFX aside!)
KOF 03 & KOF 99 (no explanation required... it's just a fact)
Metal Slug 5 (a fresh & modern take on MS whilst not losing touch with it's roots - like MS6)
Matrimelee (very original game, great characters, solid gameplay... perhaps enough cannot be said about this 'top' title)
Rage of the Dragons (A good, solid, well-polished fighter... expensive though Shock )

OVERRATED:
KOF 96 ('looks' & 'sounds' nice... thats it. Probably the most overrated in truth)
KOF 98 (IMO the game that 'everyone' says is best 'cause that's what 'everybody else' says - like a bandwagon if you will. It IS a good game, but overrated. There's much preferable entries into the series in my opinion.)
Samurai Shodown 2 (you don't want my opinion here, do you?)
MOTW (anyone who thinks this is better than 3S overrates MOTW or is a strict Neo-only fanboy IMO. MOTW plays amazingly, but the characters let it down overall IMO)
Last Blade series (notice I NEVER mention these, ever? well now I have)
Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters series ('Average'... is not the word, sorry)
Top Hunter (Seriously? you want me to explain??)

FEEL FREE...
to hate me, BUT if you can't be honest here, what's the point, right?
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Shiny
Ninja, I love ya but...

I don't think RB1, KoF '99 and '03, Metal Slug 5 or Matrimelee are underrated... People love those games. And I personally think Galaxy Fight deserves all the bashing it gets. But I agree with World Heroes and RotD, both great.

Ninja Masters? Ick. Averageness in cart form. If you look up the word "overrated" in the dictionary I'm pretty sure it's accompanied by a screenshot of it.

I can't agree with KoF' 96 for I love it. I do, however, agree completely with your take on KoF '98.

I don't think Top Hunter or the Sonic Wings games can be overrated, everyone knows they're pretty average, I've never heard anyone claim either to be fantastic games.

MotW... I'm no fanboy (I much prefer the Real Bouts) but overrated? I'm not sure.

The Last Blade games? They deserve every bit of fevered Neo fanboy praise they get. On the Neo they're well known but if you considered the whole videogaming world (which we're not) they'd be top of the underrated fighter list, no question.

And Samurai Shodown 2... I can see how some would see it as overrated (we do go on about it a bit) but I still think it's the best fighter on the system.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Jump to Forum: