Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 2059
Thread Info
There are 50 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 12717 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Sega Master System Thread
merlin
Nice to see a lot of Master System discussion here.

I recieved my Tectoy Master System Evolution about a week ago and just wanted to post my impressions about it. The console is roughly the same size as a slim PS2, very lightweight, has an internal psu and also has a very attractive design. It comes with two Tectoy Mega Drive style 6 button pads. The system actually worked perfectly on my TV without needing to be modded first. No need for a step down/up transformer either since it automatically switches to either 110v or 220v. The Master System Evolution cost $119 plus $25 for shipping. A pretty good deal considering you're getting 132 games built in.

Although there are a lot of great games missing from the line up there are also plenty of Sega classics such as the Alex Kidd series, Fantasy Zone series, Bomber Raid, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Chase HQ, Thunder Blade, Shinobi, Rastan, Kenseiden, Shadow Dancer, Battle OutRun etc.

The vast majority of the Brazilian exclusives are very simplistic games. There is a fair variety of genres including single screen platformers, maze games, puzzle games, board games, dominoes, a pinball game etc. but they didn't really hold my attention for longer than 5 minutes or so at the most. Domine o Território (a decent version of Bomberman) and Bolhas (similar to Magical Drop) were two of the better Tectoy games and worth devoting more time to.

I've read someone saying that the games run a little faster than normal, the colours are a bit different and the sound is at a slightly higher pitch. Golden Axe did seem to run a bit faster than normal but other than that I couldn't really notice any significant differences.

I can understand why people would be put off considering the games that are missing and the absence of a cart slot but if you're looking for a cheap, space saving way to play lots of Master System games which also has an attractive design then I would highly recommend picking up a Master System Evolution. I'm glad I bought one. Worth remembering too that it is officially licensed by Sega.

Disappointingly because of the way it was packaged the retail box ended up getting damaged.

YouTube Video

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/A.jpg

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/B.jpg

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/C.jpg

NeoGeoNinja
HAVE TO ADMIT...
whilst the actual 'contents' of the unit itself have very limited interest to me, it DOES look pretty nice aesthetically. I'm impressed that it comes with 2x 6-button MD pads. Useless or not, the MD 6-button is a force to be reckoned with imo, however, I'm unsure of the build quality of said controllers VS the original pads from nearly 20 years ago ( Shock )

Sorry it didn't arrive in great shape Merlin. As 'insinuated' in the 'show us your cabs' thread, this is USUALLY how things turn out for me as standard. Guess it's not always just me though, huh? Still, as long as the unit is fine, that's the main thing. Great to hear it works here in the UK straight out of the box too!

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
I've never actually used an original 6 button Mega Drive joypad Ninja so I can't compare them. The Tectoy joypads do have very responsive d-pads and buttons. Build quality seems pretty good too. Overall they're definitely superior to the standard three button Mega Drive controllers.

Yes it's disappointing when things aren't packed well enough and arrive damaged. Sounds like you've been pretty unlucky in this regard. The problem in my case was that the boxed console was just wrapped in paper and not put in an outer box.

I was thinking about possibly getting a Tectoy Mega Drive 4 in the future but the list of games doesn't really excite me.

http://www.tectoy...jogosmd100

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
I've never actually used an original 6 button Mega Drive joypad Ninja so I can't compare them. The Tectoy joypads do have very responsive d-pads and buttons. Build quality seems pretty good too. Overall they're definitely superior to the standard three button Mega Drive controllers.

Yes it's disappointing when things aren't packed well enough and arrive damaged. Sounds like you've been pretty unlucky in this regard. The problem in my case was that the boxed console was just wrapped in paper and not put in an outer box.

I was thinking about possibly getting a Tectoy Mega Drive 4 in the future but the list of games doesn't really excite me...

YEP...
the whole packaging debacle is the story of my life! So many times PPL under-pack items. It's unfortunate that such 'beings' are of the limited intelligence to believe that the ACTUAL packaging is there to protect it during transit (thus only using paper to 'disguise' the package as it were Roll Eyes ). Morons.

ABOUT THIS MD4...
here is my personal take on what I'd play out of that selection:
games highlighted in RED are very favourable.
game unhighlighted are simply games I'd play from time to time.

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle™
Alien Storm™
Altered Beast™
Arrow Flash™
Bonanza Brothers™
Chase HQ 2™
Cyber Police ESWAT™
Decap Attack™
Ecco ™
Ecco Jr. ™
Fire Mustang™
Flicky™
Gain Ground™
Golden Axe™
Golden Axe II™
Golden Axe III™
Kid Chameleon™
Last Battle™
New Zealand Story™
Pac Attack™
Phelios™
Rainbow Island™
Rastan Saga 2™
Shadow Dancer™
Shinobi III™
Sonic 3™
Sonic Spinball™
Space Harrier II™
Super Hang-On™
Super Thunder Blade™
Turbo Out Run™
Ultimate Qix™

SO FOR ME...
although I don't require one of these (as I already have a healthy culmination of actual MD games and various MD compilations) I find the selection here MUCH more attractive than what the MS3 had on offer. Also, in your case, the MD4 would be great as a space saving exercise too! We'll fit another cab in that house of yours yet, eh? Wink

Ninja

Kurisu
Another 6 boxed SMS games picked up from my local Chips store today;

After Burner
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Black Belt
World Games
American Pro Football

£6 the lot, bargain or what??
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

NeoGeoNinja
Kurisu wrote:
Another 6 boxed SMS games picked up from my local Chips store today;

After Burner
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Black Belt
World Games
American Pro Football

£6 the lot, bargain or what??

ABSOLUTE BARGAIN...
love Sonic on the SMS as well as the Genesis versions. I like how they're completely different, especially 2. Black Belt is pretty damn smart too...

Ninja

IDCHAPPY
You see tons of then in Cash converters and other such scummy stores. most in pretty good nick surprisingly Smile

merlin
There are some quality games in that MD4 line up Ninja you're right. Still it's a pity there's only one Sonic game, no Revenge of Shinobi and no SOR games. Also although the console has an
attractive design they've ruined it a bit IMO by having that guitar idol logo on the top part. Still like you say it would be another space saving way of having lots of MD games to play.

That was a very good deal Kurisu getting all of those games boxed for only £6. Thumbs Up
Edited by merlin on 06. February 2011 19:33

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
There are some quality games in that MD4 line up Ninja you're right. Still it's a pity there's only one Sonic game, no Revenge of Shinobi and no SOR games. Also although the console has an
attractive design they've ruined it a bit IMO by having that guitar idol logo on the top part. Still like you say it would be another space saving way of having lots of MD games to play...

YEAH, IT'S GREAT...
overall Merlin, however, I will agree - the lack of ANY SOR title is a bit of a bummer, as pretty much everything else you'd fancy playing is there (hahaha minus the other Sonic games I guess).

Revenge of Shinobi, I doubt will EVER appear on any compilation due to the inclusion of Spiderman etc. Shame, as it is without doubt my FAVE ever MD game and, whilst Shinobi 3 IS good, it's not AS good as 'Revenge'...

Ninja

1983parrothead
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!

According to Sega's official North American blog, the Master System version of R-Type is being removed from the Virtual Console this Friday, September 30.

Last July, all of Irem's games were removed from the PlayStation Store, so even though Sega only mentions this one game (since it's on a Sega console), it might be the case that all Irem games are about to be removed.

A Sega rep mentions in the comments that it's a "licensing issue", but it might also have something to do with Irem's financial problems stemming from the earthquake and tsunami disaster earlier this year.

Anyway, now might be the time to grab some of their games if you haven't already.

Jump to Forum: