Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: Michael Max
Thread ID: 2058
Thread Info
There are 12 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2389 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Neo Geo Games On Non-Neo Geo Consoles
Michael Max
I've never owned a Neo Geo but have lots of compilation discs for Ps2, Wii & PsP. Are there any experts out there that can tell me if these have lost anything along the way in the translation? I know that the PsP games have lag. I mean other than that, are there any major differences to playing, let's say...Art of Fighting on the Wii or Ps2, rather than on the Neo Geo? I mean graphical differences, animation, sound...etc. Not screen size properties, that doesn't matter to me. Ok, I know it's kind of a difficult question but I figured theres bound to be some hardcore collectors out there who could give it a shot. Thanks.

NeoGeoNinja
JUST HAD A LOOK THROUGH...
to dig out this old thread or you... saves me typing all my findings again!

http://www.neogeo...rowstart=0
Any questions on specific compilations, just ask... I'm happy to help out Thumbs Up

OH, AND... could you tell me what it is you actually say when you throw a whirlwind out of your uppercut? I can never make it out properly! Sounds like "Ball in the Park"! Oddly (?) I'm sure he doesn't say that... unless he's trying to seriously distract the opposition LOL

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Michael Max
Well, I'm a little punchy so sometimes I don't even know what I'm saying...but "bomber punch" might be what I'm going for. Who knows. Thanks for the link btw!
Edited by Michael Max on 19. October 2009 19:40

Mr Vengeance
Michael Max wrote:
I've never owned a Neo Geo but have lots of compilation discs for Ps2, Wii & PsP. Are there any experts out there that can tell me if these have lost anything along the way in the translation? I know that the PsP games have lag. I mean other than that, are there any major differences to playing, let's say...Art of Fighting on the Wii or Ps2, rather than on the Neo Geo? I mean graphical differences, animation, sound...etc. Not screen size properties, that doesn't matter to me. Ok, I know it's kind of a difficult question but I figured theres bound to be some hardcore collectors out there who could give it a shot. Thanks.

In some cases games are better on the PS2 / Xbox than on the Neo Geo - I can play my Neo Geo PS2 collection packs on my HD TV, and they look very good on there, output in progressive scan, better than on the AES. I still like buying the carts though for the artwork, and the buzz of owning these rare games on the original format. Gameplay is great on the Neo Geo stick too.

If you're not into the whole collecting scene though, and you've got a good controller, the PS2 compilation packs in my experience are fantastic, never known any problems with them.

TurboCro
Some of the PS2 compilations are bad ie - Orochi collection and SNK Arcade classics vol 1. Orochi is better on the Wii, no loading time issues.

Also, if you're looking for the system to get - Japan spec PS2 all the way. Some of the US releases aren't in progressive scan making them look a little blurry in motion.

Michael Max
In some cases games are better on the PS2 / Xbox than on the Neo Geo - I can play my Neo Geo PS2 collection packs on my HD TV, and they look very good on there, output in progressive scan, better than on the AES. I still like buying the carts though for the artwork, and the buzz of owning these rare games on the original format. Gameplay is great on the Neo Geo stick too.

If you're not into the whole collecting scene though, and you've got a good controller, the PS2 compilation packs in my experience are fantastic, never known any problems with them.[/quote]

Great. Thanks for the reassurance. I have the Vurtual Arcade Stick for Ps2. I was going on a small budget. Not a great stick by any means but it has a four button layout and gets the job done. The Neo Geo stick is of course my first choice but its tough to find for ps2. Near impossible actually. And if you do find it you'll be paying 200 or more because it'll be the limited edition KOF or MOTW version from japan. Anyway, i'm happy with my cheap stick and if it ever breaks it'll give me an excuse to replace it with something better.

Michael Max
TurboCro wrote:
Some of the PS2 compilations are bad ie - Orochi collection and SNK Arcade classics vol 1. Orochi is better on the Wii, no loading time issues.

Also, if you're looking for the system to get - Japan spec PS2 all the way. Some of the US releases aren't in progressive scan making them look a little blurry in motion.

Yeah, Luckily I've got both of those titles for my wii rather than ps2. I figured the better hardware would be the way to go if you've got the choice. Wish I had a Jap. Ps2 though. There are so many titles I could get that I want. Mostly SNK vs. Capcom and MOTW to be specific. Oh, well. Maybe one day I'll get a converter. I've heard you can buy those. Any advice on those? How they work, how expensive are they? etc. Thanks.

Zakatek
Garou on ps2 is great you can read Kazuya's review on the site. KOF 98 UM is also awsome, it has aes version of KOF 98 which is a great port. If you don't have kof 98 um i highly recommend you to get it.

STE C
I have PS2 & MVS versions of a few games and agree that most of the PS2 versions I have are spot on apart from Pal SS5 which has blurry graphics compared to the NG version and does seem a little jerkier to play. To be honest in this day and age with the developers having had 9 years of using PS2s hardware all ports should really be faultless even the mightly Dreamcast had no problem ( ref Last Blade 2) looking and playing identical to my MVS copy.

TurboCro
STE C wrote:
I have PS2 & MVS versions of a few games and agree that most of the PS2 versions I have are spot on apart from Pal SS5 which has blurry graphics compared to the NG version and does seem a little jerkier to play. To be honest in this day and age with the developers having had 9 years of using PS2s hardware all ports should really be faultless even the mightly Dreamcast had no problem ( ref Last Blade 2) looking and playing identical to my MVS copy.

Funny thing is even the ports that are close aren't perfect. E.g. WHP from the WH Gorgeous/Anthology. Looks the same and plays real nice, but when I play it on my CMVS it feels somehow different. It's nitpicking, and getting to play the games at a budget price really makes it a non factor anyhow.

I've also had fun with GGPO. Great international competition for KOF98 (as well as 3S and others).

TurboCro
Michael Max wrote:

Yeah, Luckily I've got both of those titles for my wii rather than ps2. I figured the better hardware would be the way to go if you've got the choice. Wish I had a Jap. Ps2 though. There are so many titles I could get that I want. Mostly SNK vs. Capcom and MOTW to be specific. Oh, well. Maybe one day I'll get a converter. I've heard you can buy those. Any advice on those? How they work, how expensive are they? etc. Thanks.

I'm not too sure on the converter, but it looks like most use a "flip disk" system to fool the os. I've seen prices range from $25 to $50. I've read that certain JP games are very finicky and won't boot using the converter.

Best way to experience the magic of Neo-Geo is still at the arcade against another person. I still pop quarters into the KOF 98 machine.

Michael Max
Best way to experience the magic of Neo-Geo is still at the arcade against another person. I still pop quarters into the KOF 98 machine.[/quote]

True. But you can't pause it to go get a beer.

Jump to Forum: