Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2038
Thread Info
There are 29 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 11024 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Is Alpha Mission 2 any good?
Definitely! A great shmup for the NeoGeo! Definitely! A great shmup for the NeoGeo! 7%[1 Vote]
Its really good! But with some minor flaws Its really good! But with some minor flaws 21%[3 Votes]
Its ok, but needs some improvement Its ok, but needs some improvement 29%[4 Votes]
Its pretty forgettable... Its pretty forgettable... 21%[3 Votes]
I haven't played this, but I'll be sure to! I haven't played this, but I'll be sure to! 21%[3 Votes]
Total Votes : 14
 Print Thread
Alpha Mission 2 discussion
The eccentric cat
NOTE: This was a previous Game of the week discussion thread!
-----------

A new Game of the Week today! Alpha Mission seemed to be one of the most popular, so its this GotW. ^^;

Unfortunately, I've never played it, so let's hear what you guys have to say...

Alpha Mission 2: Last Guardian

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/p01-aes-alpha-mission-2_t2.jpg

Players: 2
Genre: Shmup
Size: 47 Megs
Released on: AES, MVS, Neo CD

Brief Description:

Alpha Mission 2: Last Guardian is a vertically scrolling full screen shoot 'em up released by SNK in 1991. The game has only 2 or 3 buttons used depending on the selected shuttle mode. Pull the joystick to manuever the shuttle. The first shuttle mode enables you to fire missiles and laser shots simultaneously with Button A, but in the alternate mode press Button A for laser shot and Button B for missile shot. Laser shots are used for air-to-air attacks and Missiles are used for air-to-ground attacks. When a drone is shot, power ups can be collected: S for Speed, L for Laser shots, M for Missile shots and G for credits. Credits are useful for purchasing weapons in between stages. The power ups are changed by shooting them. When Laser shots and Missiles are maxed, they are more widespread and combined in power.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_6/photo_41.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_6/photo_42.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_6/photo_43.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_6/photo_44.jpg

Reviews:

Alpha Mission 2 Review by Kazuya_UK

Videos:
Alpha Mission 2 gameplay (courtesy of Merlin)

YouTube Video

Other Media:

Nothing yet. :\

Highscore Challenge:

Good luck with this challenge! X3
http://www.neogeo...post_30678

Past GOWT Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->

#36 Neo Drift Out -->

#37 Magical Drop 2 -->

#38 Top Hunter -->

#39 Savage Reign -->

#40 Metal Slug 2/X -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 18. October 2009 07:52
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Nadanova
The core ideas behind the game are great, I loved the morphing craft and all of the different weapons but really the game isn't that entertaining to play, a bit too linear for me. Yes I did own this btw Pfft
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

STE C
Ive always though this looked like a Megadrive game and have not played it much as it just does not seem very exciting. I know this game has its fans so I will endeavor to play it again, it very much reminds me of Tatsujin/Truxton which I suspect is a superior game.

Mr Vengeance
I agree Ste, it doesn't look like a Neo game, hence why I've never picked it up.

I'd like a good shooter for my Neo, but I don't think this is the one for me.....

Will
This game certainly beats its prequel and it certainly has a better gameplay than the old PC space shooters I played through like "Major Stryker", "Overkill", "Xenon", "Xenon 2" and "Star Defender". Alpha Mission 2 however isn't quite up to date with the shooters with fancy features like "Gunbird", "Gunbird 2" and "Strikers 1945". Unlike most shooters, bullets don't destroy everything in their path in a ridiculous fashion, but the laser bullets for air targets and the missiles for ground targets is absolutely effective.

The game certainly has some atmosphere especially Stages 2, 3, 5 and 6. The Super Weapons I like to use are "Fire", "Blackhole", "Phoenix" and "Homing Missile". Even I like the way the ship morphs when the weapons are fixing on it.

I can see what you mean by saying this game doesn't look Neo-Geo. True its graphical features seem to resemble not only Megadrive graphics, but perhaps also Amiga and PC Dos graphics. The Music reminds of the Adlib tunes DOS games commonly have.
Edited by Will on 11. October 2009 17:59

Genjuro
i enjoyed Alpha Mission 2, i used to have it for NGCD. my only real sort of complaint is being able to shoot the power ups you can collect. sometimes you'll shoot it accidentally or shoot it and end up missing the power up you wanted because you keep shooting to cycle through and find the one you want.

reelmojo
I recently started trying every NG game from A to Z as an experiment to see what hidden gems I don't know about yet. I've been writing down quick notes about each game because I was thinking of starting a thread and encouraging others to try them all as well. Anyway, here's what I wrote about AMII:

"Alpha Mission II - Probably not bad for it's time, but it really shows it's age."

It really does look like an old DOS game. I'm sure it was enjoyable when it came out, but now I feel like I'm wasting my time playing it when there are so many good shooters out there that I haven't played. It also doesn't seem to compare well to other NG games that were out around the same time such as Blue's Journey.
Edited by reelmojo on 12. October 2009 17:08

Nadanova
Will wrote:
but the laser bullets for air targets and the missiles for ground targets is absolutely effective.

Ah is that how it works? What a spasticated system... curse me for getting a japanese neo geo and not knowing this sooner Pfft
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

NeoGeoNinja
Nadanova wrote:
Will wrote:
but the laser bullets for air targets and the missiles for ground targets is absolutely effective.

Ah is that how it works? What a spasticated system... curse me for getting a japanese neo geo and not knowing this sooner Pfft

HMMM...
I'm guessing this is the same kinda system as used by the Xevious series & the Dragon Spirit series on PCE etc? But sadly, having not played ASOII, I'm unsure...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

STE C
HMMM...
I'm guessing this is the same kinda system as used by the Xevious series & the Dragon Spirit series on PCE etc? But sadly, having not played ASOII, I'm unsure...

Ninja
[/quote]

AYE you are spot on with that comment

merlin
Alpha Mission II is a decent shooter but I just feel it lacks any special qualities to really keep me engaged. Also graphically it's rather uninspiring and just doesn't look like a Neo Geo game. A much better example of an early Neo Geo shoot 'em up is Ghost Pilots which has nicer graphics and is more enjoyable too IMO. I will be giving Alpha Mission II another go though seeing as it's gotw.
Edited by merlin on 12. October 2009 21:48
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

Glowsquid
I just have to chime in and say that I disagree with almost everyone who posted - ASO II is a great shmup, better than Ghost Pilots (sorry Merlin) and Zed Blade at any rate.

The first time I played it, I must say I hated it . The powerup system was very annoying, the separation between flying and ground target (ala Xevious) was kind of a throw-off, and the armor system seemed overcomplicated.

However I stuck with it and discovered the diamond under the rough. The armor system open up a whole lot of fun possibilities and is actually pretty clever. The music is very atmospheric and the graphics aren't bad at all, though the bosses could use some more animation.

merlin
Hi glowsquid welcome to the site. You can always introduce yourself if you want in the arrivals and departures section of the forum and tell us a bit about yourself. Good to see you taking part in the high score challenges.

I will give this game another go this week and try and keep an open mind. I guess it's partly the graphics that are putting me off. Even for an early Neo title I would have expected them to be a bit better.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

reelmojo
Well Glowsquid, you make the game seem much deeper than I originally thought based on my first impression. And since you hated it at first too, I've decided to give it another shot.

Oh, and the old DOS style graphics don't bother me so much. They actually give the game a bit of a nostalgic feel for me since in 1991 I was playing DOS games a lot. I sure as hell didn't have access to a Neo Geo at the time!

RiKo
It does look like it plays like those shooter like Will says. I think that may be a good thing though, cos they are a differnet kind of shooter and I have a lot of nostalgia for them. I am looking forward to playing this!!
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Mr Vengeance
reelmojo wrote:
Well Glowsquid, you make the game seem much deeper than I originally thought based on my first impression. And since you hated it at first too, I've decided to give it another shot.

Oh, and the old DOS style graphics don't bother me so much. They actually give the game a bit of a nostalgic feel for me since in 1991 I was playing DOS games a lot. I sure as hell didn't have access to a Neo Geo at the time!

My parents couldn't afford to buy me more than a couple of NES or Game Boy games a year back then, wonder what they would have reckoned if I'd have put a Neo Geo AES on the 'Santa list' Hmm

TurboCro
Glowsquid wrote:
I just have to chime in and say that I disagree with almost everyone who posted - ASO II is a great shmup, better than Ghost Pilots (sorry Merlin) and Zed Blade at any rate.

The first time I played it, I must say I hated it . The powerup system was very annoying, the separation between flying and ground target (ala Xevious) was kind of a throw-off, and the armor system seemed overcomplicated.

However I stuck with it and discovered the diamond under the rough. The armor system open up a whole lot of fun possibilities and is actually pretty clever. The music is very atmospheric and the graphics aren't bad at all, though the bosses could use some more animation.

I played this again just for this discussion.

While I don't disagree with you per se, I just feel like my time is better spent on a different game. I also find myself humming Thunderforce 3 music on the subway at random. Music

Glowsquid
ASO II isn't really comparable to any other Neo Geo shmups (Or any other arcade shmup for that matter). If the game discussed was, say, Arrow Flash or Whip Rush, I'd understand the comparison with other shooters more.

The one fatal weakness of ASO II is that the power-up system and the meaning of the icons isn't explained anywhere in the actual game. The game only really "clicked" with me when I found this neat table explaining the power-ups.

RiKo
Apparently ASO stands for Armored Scrum Object.

Welcome Glowsquid Grin I didn;t realise you were new, haha - must have been a bit dozy yesterday. I like all these new members! I hope you stick around Smile
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Glowsquid
A while ago, NeoTurfMasta gifted a bunch of protos he had to the community, one of which was Alpha Mission 2. It was added to MAME shortly after.

I couldn't find any footage of the Alpha Mission 2 proto, or even much information beyond the NG.com thread so I recorded a video of it.

YouTube Video

The differences are (quoting the description)

Mechanics:
*The player ship has a vastly lower firerate and a bigger hitbox.
*The K item is a ship pickup (obtained by shooting the purple, negative ship powerups) instead of a ground item.
*The Warp and Reverse items don't work.
*The C/skull head powerdown is more dangerous. In the final build, it simply remove whatever armor you have currently equipped while here, it depowers you down completely AND remove all armors in your stock.

Assets:
*The stage 1, boss and first half of stage 2 themes are completely different and do not appear in the final build.
*Most enemies have different coloring and lacks minor details, with some (such as the second Stage 1 midboss) diverging more from the final build.
*The Shop screen background is completely different

I noticed more level design and enemy behaviour differences but I figured noting all would make the description too tl;dr. If anyone is interested about them, I can add them to the description.

(woah, the very first thread I posted in here. Ca ne me rajeunit pas...)

Jump to Forum: