Username
Password

Remember?
Click here to register.
Forgot Your Password?
Search:
November 01 2014

Navigation
· Home
· Reviews
· Kazuya's Neo Top 10
· In Depth FAQ's
· Downloads
· Web Links
· News Categories
· Image Gallery
· Official Wallpapers
· Fan Made Wallpapers

· NGFL Site Projects

· Neo Geo - The Console
· Neo Geo Pocket Handheld
· Articles

· SNK Jukebox
· NGFL Arcade

· Discussion Forum
· Chatroom
· Latest Comments
· Xbox Live Leaderboard
· NGFL World Map

· Contact Me
· Site FAQ's
· Search Site

· Submit News
· Submit Link
· Submit Article
· Submit a Photo
· Submit Download

Random Review
Iron Clad

Users Online
· Guests Online: 3

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 2,229
· Newest Member: meresupplies70

Last Seen Users
green beret05:51:11
NeoStrayCat08:00:34
aaronmjr08:22:07
meresupplies7010:04:46
priest14:04:13
merlin14:17:58
reelmojo 1 day
RiKo 1 day
cthulhu 1 day
Murikov 1 day

Ad

Support Us!
Donate To Us!
Enter an amount to donate:
¤

Why Donate?

Game events
Latest scores
candycab
scored 11500 points in
3D Stick FPS
3D Stick FPS
NeoStrayCat
scored 165 points in
League Bowling
League Bowling
Henke
scored 8045 points in
Heli Boarding
Heli Boarding
Henke
scored 16500 points in
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong

Latest champions
Henke
is the new champion in
Donkey Kong with 16500 points
Donkey Kong
Henke
is the new champion in
Snow Bowling with 350 points
Snow Bowling
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS


Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2020
Thread Info
There are 23 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 10341 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Are Metal Slug 2 and X good games?
Of course! Nothing can beat the Metal Slug series! Of course! Nothing can beat the Metal Slug series! 58%[11 Votes]
They're very good, but not without its flaws They're very good, but not without its flaws 5%[1 Vote]
Meh, they're ok games Meh, they're ok games 5%[1 Vote]
Ugh, they're both horrible... Ugh, they're both horrible... 0%[0 Votes]
Haven't olayed them, but I'll be sure to! Haven't olayed them, but I'll be sure to! 5%[1 Vote]
Metal Slug 2 beats X, am i rite? :) Metal Slug 2 beats X, am i rite? :) 5%[1 Vote]
Metal Slug X is obviously superior! ;D Metal Slug X is obviously superior! ;D 21%[4 Votes]
Total Votes : 19
 Print Thread
Metal Slug 2/X discussion
The eccentric cat
NOTE: This was a previous Game of the week discussion thread!
-----------

New Game of the Week! This time being two games, Metal Slug 2 and X! I featured both of them since X is basically a remake of 2, with minor differences. Some of which being less slowdown, fighting at different times of day, somewhat enhanced music, and more enemies and weapons.

Metal Slug X was actually my first Metal Slug game! X3 At first, I didn't think of it too much, I was more of a fan of Contra. But, I slowly started opening up to it, until I finally had a co-op game, and it was pure bliss. ^^

... Though, I still think Contra is easier. XD

Metal Slug 2

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/ms2_t2.jpg

Metal Slug X

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/msx_t2.jpg

Players: 2
Genre: Run 'n Gun
Size: 362 Megs
Released on: AES, MVS, Neo CD, PC, Playstation (Metal Slug X), Metal Slug Anthology (PS2, PSP, Wii)

Brief Description:

Metal Slug 2 was released in 1998 for the NeoGeo AES, and MVS. Metal Slug 2 added new weapons to the player's arsenal. A single shot from the Laser is capable of killing a column of infantry, and sustained fire quickly destroyed vehicles. Fire Bombs found in the second level help to clear away mummies. Armor Piercing Shells give the Metal Slug cannon shot that only fire straight when engaging enemy vehicles. The game also included more fighting vehicles. Though just as susceptible to enemy fire as the Metal Slug, these vehicles provided alternate modes of transportation, and advantages associated with each.

A revised version of Metal Slug 2, titled Metal Slug X, was released on March 1999 for the Neo Geo MVS. It fixed problems with slowdown present in Metal Slug 2, and increased the difficulty. Metal Slug X also introduced a few new elements to the Metal Slug 2 game system. New weapons and items were added, such as the "Iron Lizard" and the "Drop Shot". The enemy placement and bosses were re-arranged as well.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_72/mslug2title.png

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_73/mslugxtitle.png

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_73/mslugxselect.png

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_72/mslug2howtoplay.png

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_72/mslug2a.png

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_73/mslugx1.png

Reviews

Metal Slug 2 Review by Kazuya_UK

Metal Slug X Review by Kazuya_UK

Videos:
Metal Slug 2 Gameplay

YouTube Video


Metal Slug X Intro and Demonstration (HD)

YouTube Video


Other Media

Nothing yet. :\

Highscore Challenge:


http://www.neogeo...post_30363



Past GOWT Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->

#36 Neo Drift Out -->

#37 Magical Drop 2 -->

#38 Top Hunter -->

#39 Savage Reign -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 11. October 2009 21:42
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.
 
gudrummer
I like them both, but the slowdowns on 2 really made it loose some of its charm when i played it. X was a great update to an already great game.
 
Will
I can't really say that Metal Slug X is better than Metal Slug 2. MSX erases several secrets that MS2 had, the aliens appear a bit to early in the game and they have changed many daylight and night scenes to twilight and dawn scenes, which I think was a bit pointless. Metal Slug X though does promise the new graphical features, new slugs (love the bronze tank) and weapons (especially my favourites "Super Grenade" and "Enemy Chasers"Wink.

If both games took place storywise I would say they were taking place o the same day at different hours. For example Marco and Fio complete the First Mission on MS2, the enemy rebuilds what they destroyed but brings in a new boss then Eri and Tarma complete the First Mission on MSX.
 
NeoGeoNinja
THEY'RE BOTH GREAT...
but if I was honest, the last time I played them both (back-to-back) I slightly preferred MS2 over MSX. I couldn't really give a good reason for this... I just preferred 2.

I WILL, HOWEVER...
give them both another go this week (back-to-back) starting with 'X' and then '2'.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg
 
Mr Vengeance
I didn't like the zombie transformations, or the second level in general inside the tomb. Still, I have had a lot of fun with these games and really like the gameplay overall, plus some of the level designs are excellent.

Metal Slug X was my first Metal Slug game too Eccentric Cat! I remember working in a Gamestop back in the day, and someone traded in a whole load of PSone games. One of the lads I was working with remarked that one of the games that was traded in, "Metal Slug X", would be a game I'd really like. As it was cheap, and I was curious and would buy just about anything back then, I picked it up and played it..... whilst I wasn't blown away by it, I thought it was fun, unique and different.

I've since played pretty much the whole series now, and I really like the 'Slug games, but not as much as many other people I feel on here. You won't see me shelling out €400 or €500 on Metal Slug X anytime soon on the AES! Mind you, a sub €200 copy of 'Slug 3 or 4 will be on my shopping list next year I think, just to experience the games on the original hardware.

So overall, I really like the Metal Slug games, particularly the latter ones, but there are other SNK franchises I prefer.
 
NeoGeoNinja
Mr Vengeance wrote:
...I've since played pretty much the whole series now, and I really like the 'Slug games, but not as much as many other people I feel on here. You won't see me shelling out €400 or €500 on Metal Slug X anytime soon on the AES! Mind you, a sub €200 copy of 'Slug 3 or 4 will be on my shopping list next year I think, just to experience the games on the original hardware.

So overall, I really like the Metal Slug games, particularly the latter ones, but there are other SNK franchises I prefer.


I'M WITH YOU ON THIS!
I really like the Metal Slug games, they're fantastic. But there are better run n gun shooters on other platforms for a FRACTION of the price. I agree that there are other SNK games I prefer and I too would be very reluctant to spend a lot on a Metal Slug game... Around £150 at the VERY maximum. They're not worth any more IMO, as good as they are... regardless of their rarity and supposed value.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg
 
STE C
I love the Slug games big time they are a credit to the NG but would not swap my copy of Shock Troopers for any of them.

Back to the thread at hand I prefer the colour scheme in 2 I think the backgrounds look better than X but yeah 2 has some pretty unfortunate slowdown. I would say to anybody wanting to buy one that X is probably the better bet although I would not hesitate to pass up 2 if it was more cost effective .

I also am not a big fan of the mummy tomb stage in either but the rest of the game is fantastic arguably the best of the series in the eyes of the NG community although 5 is my fave ( just) . If MS2 had no slowdown then it would probably be the best in my eyes as mentioned above I much prefer the background colours in 2.
 
Mr Vengeance
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:
...I've since played pretty much the whole series now, and I really like the 'Slug games, but not as much as many other people I feel on here. You won't see me shelling out €400 or €500 on Metal Slug X anytime soon on the AES! Mind you, a sub €200 copy of 'Slug 3 or 4 will be on my shopping list next year I think, just to experience the games on the original hardware.

So overall, I really like the Metal Slug games, particularly the latter ones, but there are other SNK franchises I prefer.


I'M WITH YOU ON THIS!
I really like the Metal Slug games, they're fantastic. But there are better run n gun shooters on other platforms for a FRACTION of the price. I agree that there are other SNK games I prefer and I too would be very reluctant to spend a lot on a Metal Slug game... Around £150 at the VERY maximum. They're not worth any more IMO, as good as they are... regardless of their rarity and supposed value.

Ninja


I want a 'Slug AES game on the shelf because they are one of SNK's most popular and important games, and I'd love to play them on an AES, but I've no desire to own all 6 of them on the AES because there are superior games on the system, and because they are so frickin' expensive. And even if you did buy one for the AES, many some of them are conversions!

There's no way I'd pay more than €150 on one to be honest, and when I do shell that out on one, I'll have purchased many other games before hand.
 
Basashi King
heya vengeance,

once again we have similar views here - id love to pick up a slug but maybe just the one - or two! i know you dont really do emulation or ports on games you intend to buy on the AES - likewise i use emulation as sparingly as possible. i played through level 1 of the first slug game and really enjoyed it though.

because of my aversion to playing possible aes buys in depth through emulation, i wont be commenting directly here on 2 or x, but im looking forwards to reading peoples comments in this thread!

...but i fancy if i do eventually slug up it will be 1 and / or 3 that i buy...
 
merlin
Both awesome games of course. Personally I slightly prefer Metal Slug 2. I had played that a lot before I ever tried Metal Slug X. I was used to the way things were in MS2 like the colouring of the stages for example so am not so keen on the changes. The slowdown in MS2 has never bothered me in the slightest. I've heard people say parts of the game are completely ruined because of slowdown. I'm too busy enjoying myself to even notice.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif
 
Powerwave
X is my fave metal slug for sure
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)
 
Mr Vengeance
Basashi King wrote:
heya vengeance,

once again we have similar views here - id love to pick up a slug but maybe just the one - or two! i know you dont really do emulation or ports on games you intend to buy on the AES - likewise i use emulation as sparingly as possible. i played through level 1 of the first slug game and really enjoyed it though.

because of my aversion to playing possible aes buys in depth through emulation, i wont be commenting directly here on 2 or x, but im looking forwards to reading peoples comments in this thread!

...but i fancy if i do eventually slug up it will be 1 and / or 3 that i buy...


I've got all the Slugs on the PS2 compilation Anthology disc and play them often enough. I like them all. Its hard to pick a favourite. If I were going to buy one on the AES then it would be either 4 because I actually think its excellent and underrated, plus its the cheapest of the lot on the format, plus the box art is great! But.... I'd like to have 3 as it is epic in every regard, its huge, plus its regarded by the fans as the best. Still, I don't like the drawn out final stage's finale though and the transformations, but all round its still a very good video game and truly an achievement on the Neo Geo!

And guys, I too agree that Slug 2's colour scheme is far nicer than that in X!
 
NeoGeoNinja
Mr Vengeance wrote:
I've got all the Slugs on the PS2 compilation Anthology disc and play them often enough. I like them all. Its hard to pick a favourite. If I were going to buy one on the AES then it would be either 4 because I actually think its excellent and underrated, plus its the cheapest of the lot on the format, plus the box art is great! But.... I'd like to have 3 as it is epic in every regard, its huge, plus its regarded by the fans as the best. Still, I don't like the drawn out final stage's finale though and the transformations, but all round its still a very good video game and truly an achievement on the Neo Geo!

And guys, I too agree that Slug 2's colour scheme is far nicer than that in X!


I'M THE SAME HERE...
I have them on Metal Slug Complete for PS2 and they're all really good. In honesty though, I was less keen on 4 out of all the 'Geo titles. I liked 1 & 5 best. i think I liked the heavy contrast of both the games. I hate how 6 doesn't have auto-fire! It makes no sense when all the others do. Not sure what I make of 6 yet. Will have to give it another go...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg
 
NeoGeoNinja
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
THEY'RE BOTH GREAT...
but if I was honest, the last time I played them both (back-to-back) I slightly preferred MS2 over MSX. I couldn't really give a good reason for this... I just preferred 2.

I WILL, HOWEVER...
give them both another go this week (back-to-back) starting with 'X' and then '2'.

Ninja


YEP...
played them both the other night AND STILL preferred 2 (& I played X first). I just preferred how everything was in 2 and I wasnt really a fan of the new weapons in X either (Dropshot? F*ck that!).

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg
 
reelmojo
Both games are classics for me. I can't really decide which one I like better. I love playing through 2 and then seeing the subtle changes in X (such as the aliens flying through the background in stage 1). 3 is my personal favorite in the series, but I have them all other than 7 on the MS Anthology on my PSP so I don't really have to choose a favorite luckily.

Oh... and I like the tomb. Pfft
Edited by reelmojo on 06. October 2009 15:58
 
NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
...3 is my personal favorite in the series, but I have them all other than 7 on the MS Anthology on my PSP so I don't really have to choose a favorite luckily.

Oh... and I like the tomb. Pfft


OH MOJO...
of course you have to choose a favourite mate! Everyone has a fave MSlug, surely??!

REGARDLESS...
I agree, I think the small tomb level is really cool. I always enjoy it as I think it breaks up the levels quite nicely. I like the weird lab section too with the self-detonating wall crawlers too... it just adds (for me!) to the experience. Bet those trains are hard without autofire though... God help the A button Pfft

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg
 
GeeseTheDuck
X is my all time favorite metal slug!
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png
 
http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
lwlford
This game is nice and I love playing this game. Does this game have a new version?



lwlford
Simulation prêt
 
Mr Vengeance
Spot the spam!
 
NeoGeoNinja
Mr Vengeance wrote:
Spot the spam!


YEAH...
I know... there's been shit loads of 'em recently. Semi-convincing retards!!

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg
 
Jump to Forum:

  Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Metal Slug 6 - Game of the Week Neo Geo & General SNK Talk 7 27. October 2014 02:07
Metal Slug II / Metal Slug X: NGFL High Score Challenge Neo Geo High Score Challenges! 83 20. October 2014 21:41
Crossed Swords II discussion Neo Geo & General SNK Talk 11 20. October 2014 14:14
Metal Slug I: NGFL High Score Challenge Neo Geo High Score Challenges! 122 24. September 2014 22:02
SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom discussion Neo Geo & General SNK Talk 39 27. July 2014 00:40