Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: priest
Thread ID: 2014
Thread Info
There are 32 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9217 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Highscore challenge...Why donīt you enter?
RiKo
i am still happy to offer one of my Mark of Wolves mugs as a prize for the MOTW HSC when it comes about. i dont think prizes are a good idea though in general though, really just the motivation of competing for high scores should be enough, and you get a little medal against your name if you do well. Regular prizes would encourage cheating and also people to join the site just to win prizes which is bad.

Its fair enough if people dont want to enter the HSC very often but i still sometimes feel that people are worried about not being good enough at a game, and posting a bad score and looking bad. i have noticed in the past players often dont post scores until they beat the top score. i think this is the wrong way of thinking, you dont need to be amazing at a game to post a score, just post your best effort and then improve on it. i have posted some not very good scores in the past (quite often the bottom of the table) but i have (usually) improved on them as i play the game more. This is NG4L, any score is a good score, no elitists here. Everyone is welcome to enter Thumbs Up
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Murikov
During my time being here so far I often observed that more unknown games/gems like Windjammers or Street Hoops parallel got less attention as popular and very competitive games like those from the KoF series.

A shame if you ask me, either most participants don't want to spend their time into less popular games by learning the game's basics and mastering the gameplay. Or, as you guys already mentioned, they only want to exhibit their greatest and most recognising scores.

I have to admit by myself that once I didn't want to post my score immediately. Rather I wanted to improve my skills to get more competitive. But after a while I ran out of steam and stopped continuing training.

I'll do myself a favor and decide to post once again a HSC entry. Your guys (especially Priest's) work shouldn't be in vain and I really appreciate how the HSC threads are looked after.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

priest
Eccentric cat: Iīm not demanding that EVERY member should enter EVERY HSC, belive me; I know what its like to have a limited time for gameplay.

RiKo: Even though I want to say I trust my fellow gamers, you do have a point regarding the prizes. And the medals as you say should be enough, The main reason with the HSC should be to get better at the games we play and at the same time add a little competition between us members.

About people not entering because they think their scores arenīt good enough: I think itīs interesting to see players "evolve" and you can see this by the scores. You donīt necesarily have to compete with the others, compete with your own scores. Just post your scores and Iīll be happy to add them to the scoreboard...Donīt be afraid that your score isnīt good enough, its posting scores that makes the HSC survive.

Murikov: Whatever score you achieve, Iīm interested to see it. Keep on posting those scores! Thanks for the kind wordsThumbs Up
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
AngelaAsakura
I don't enter the HSC very often because I only really get motivated to go for Highscores on a game unless it happens to be one that I REALLY love and enjoy. Otherwise, I don't really feel the desire to try hard enough to accomplish that goal. Though admittedly, I have been reconsidering that outlook since I'd like to get better at NG games. And the HSC is a good reason for me to practice at them.

I really like the HSC alot and personally, I don't really give a hoot about my submitted score beating the pants off of everyone else's or not. I think it's fun to submit a low score first off and slowly work your way up. More satisfying that way after it's all said and done.
Edited by AngelaAsakura on 19. December 2010 19:03
farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7182649455_b7024d0591.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelaAsakura/
priest
AngelaAsakura wrote:Though admittedly, I have been reconsidering that outlook since I'd like to get better at NG games. And the HSC is a good reason for me to practice at them.

I really like the HSC alot and personally, I don't really give a hoot about my submitted score beating the pants off of everyone else's or not. I think it's fun to submit a low score first off and slowly work your way up. More satisfying that way after it's all said and done.

You hit the jackpott, Angela! This is kind of what I have been saying (nagging about?) all along.

The purpose of this thread is to find out if thereīs any interest at all in continuing the HSC or if its just a waste of space here at NGFL. And I think that the majority seems to like it, I donīt know about the "silent" members wishes though. I will however do some changes and incorporate Speed runs in HSC which is suitable for this kind of a challenge. And youīre all free to speak your mind if you think I do something in the wrong way, either in this thread or you can PM me.

ThanksThumbs Up

galvatron
priest wrote:

Galvatron: If the medals would remain with the original winner then I think this would be an even bigger deterrent, because once a medal have been handed out. Whatīs the point of keep posting scores if you know that you still wonīt win any medals. The aim with the medals are to add even more competition to the HSC.

I mean that medals would be like achievements on XBOX Live or trophies on PS3 where everyone who scores X amount of points gets a gold medal. This would make it so that multiple people could hold the same medals which would encourage more people to try to obtain them and someone having won a gold medal would not prevent anyone else from winning one for the same game. Maybe give a platinum medal to the absolute high score if you must...
Edited by galvatron on 27. December 2010 23:34

Will
I believe the big bother for certain contestants is the swapping between the emulator or game console to the website just to submit a score (this is only my theory). I wonder if a highscore challenge could be applied to the Neo Flash Games. If you could make so that the high score automatically posts the score along with the rank on a score board page, it would save you the trouble of page editing. In addition it guarantees no cheating or claim jumping. There may not be a lot of Neo Flash games but those great titles in combination with the online score board may increase participation. What do you think?

Kazuya_UK
You have to find games that are programmed to save scores though. The closest I have is the flash conversion of League Bowling that is in the arcade. I still can't come close to touching Raikens score in that! Pfft

I need to try and enter more HSC's... I still want to improve my Aero Fighters score for one thing!!!! We should also try and make more of a point of posting about them on the news page... if you don't have time priest I will make the news posts again in future!

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
priest
Kaz: Yea I agree with you about the news section. It should be updated more and I think that if we can combine the news of a GOTW with the news of a HSC, which was the original idea , then that would do both good...

Looking forward to seeing some HSC entries from you...

Beard

NEO-GEO man
I love the high score section!! Its the only way for me to see how i rank on my games against other people that i will probably not have a chance to play against in person.

Id love to see a couple other games added to the list though, Thrash Rally is one of them, Real bout FF Special, some more of the King of Fighters, and more.

Get em all up there!! Wink

priest
NEO-GEO man wrote:
I love the high score section!! Its the only way for me to see how i rank on my games against other people that i will probably not have a chance to play against in person.

Id love to see a couple other games added to the list though, Thrash Rally is one of them, Real bout FF Special, some more of the King of Fighters, and more.

Get em all up there!! Wink

Thanks for the words of apreciation, NEO-GEO manThumbs Up Iīll start to update with new games soon. I wonder if Eccentric cat will take up GOTW or if I should do the HSC independently of the GOTW...

NEO-GEO man
No worries mate, a pleasure Wink

Jump to Forum: