Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: priest
Thread ID: 2014
Thread Info
There are 32 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9204 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Highscore challenge...Why donīt you enter?
priest
Iīm begining to wonder if thereīs any idea at all for me to keep doing the challenges as most of you never enter with a score of your own. There are a few faithfull contenders in the challenges each week but nowhere near as popular as in the begining, Why?

Iīm open to suggestions to make more members participate in these challenges...

So why donīt YOU want to post a score?

1. I never play my games, I just collect them.

X. The choice of games which is covered is poor and boring.

2. I donīt have the time

...or what?!!! Iīm anxious to know as I thought these challenges would be fun and trigger all of us into getting better at the games.

Roll Eyes
Edited by priest on 30. September 2009 22:14
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Zakatek
I didn't enter latest score challenges but i don't think choices are bad. I was a bit lazy. Real Sad I will try some games later.

merlin
Hey Priest I really hope you continue with the challenges. Although I don't enter them all I do enjoy taking part. Thanks again for your work in running the challenges. If you look at the high score table at neo-geo.com there are quite a few games where no one has submitted a score so I think these challenges don't really appeal to everyone. I'm not exactly sure what the reasons are why people don't take part perhaps it's a lack of time.

Basashi King
hiya priest - im a big fan of the challenges.

currently when i play magician lord and last blade, ive always got an eye on my score as maybe one day ill be good enough to snatch the gold. im not there yet though and i dont want to post mediocre scores anyway.

also, i dont really like using emulation to play neo - i prefer the real thing. so, i cant enter so many challenges anyway at the moment as i dont have the games.

it would be a shame to stop the challenges though as theyre great.

i was playing the last blade the other day on a challenge run, but then i got sucked into just enjoying the game and trying out new fighters. im sure that these challenges do ensure people get more from their carts.

i hope you will keep up the good work!

RiKo
Hi Priest I like the challenges loads, I usually only play games about 45 mins at a time maybe 3 times a week at moment. I am mainly playing on my 360 just at the moment too , just on the quicker arcade style games.

Its not very easy for me to enter the challenges:( I am planning on going back to the Breakers Rev one soon though.

The reason a lot of people don't enter - who quite easily could - I think is because they don't think they are good enough. I think I have proved by my medals and my general lack of great gaming ability or time to spend gaming that you don't need to be that good to enter the challenges. I think some people think they should be top or at least be able to get a medal, but I always used to enter anyway - even when I was rubbish - which I was a lot! Its fun just trying to beat your own score! Smile
I hope you keep the challenges going!

I did used to find that there were too many challenges - I was just getting good at a game and then the next one would come along. Ideally i would like to have one - once a month. Thats just my opinion though.

Thank you very much for all the hard work you put in Priest , and I would like to thank Jean Claude Van Damme too for all his good work in encouraging people to enter. Joe
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Powerwave
hi priest im sorry i dont enter more challenges its just that im not that hot at most neo games in comparison to others. i probably will enter more challenges in the future but i have to play the game alot to get good

so i appologise priest my man that i dont enter more challenges. i do realy love the idea of a high score challenge and think they are ace. if of corse you felt like stopping thats your choice and we would totaly understand Smile
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

Basashi King
ill also chip in again and say that as a newbie to the forums i thought that the challenges were great! i immediately got on the case! it was good to join and see that there were scores sitting there to be worked at. just because people arent posting their scores doesnt mean that theyre not having a crack and enjoying this aspect of the website!

i havent been around for long but i immediately saw value in this aspect of neogeoforlife! and i have no doubt that other newcomers will too - and thats not even mentioning the veterans here who appreciate what youve been doing.

NeoGeoNinja
THOUGHT I'D CHIP IN HERE...
I don't really play for score in many of these games, especially fighting games. I only EVER play for score in Shmups... which

1) the Neo doesn't have many of
2) If you don't have a Neo, many of the Shmup titles are exclusive to the console (and yes, I do realise that this IS a dedicated NeoGeo site ^_^ ) and as such challenging the scores is not possible

ALSO...
you're right about time too. I don't have time to just sit and play one game for hours on end to just work on my highscore (like Magician Lord for example... with time you'll MASSIVELY improve and your score will too Thumbs Up

Now you know
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

priest
OK So I got some feedback on this thread, thanksThumbs Up It would have been nice to hear some ideas from the members who never have entered or shown any interest in the Highscore challenges (the exeption being NeoGeoNinja) tho.

After all I read in The Game Of The Week thread that you like / play the games (some more than others) thats being discussed there so why donīt you post a score in the HighScoreChallenge thread?

Some of the reasons why the "active members" doesnīt post scores in every HSC thread:

* "Lack of time. "

* "I donīt want to post mediocre scores. "

* "I think is because they don't think they are good enough. I think I have proved by my medals and my general lack of great gaming ability or time to spend gaming that you don't need to be that good to enter the challenges. I think some people think they should be top or at least be able to get a medal, but I always used to enter anyway - even when I was rubbish - which I was a lot! Its fun just trying to beat your own score! Smile "

* "I dont enter more challenges its just that im not that hot at most neo games in comparison to others. i probably will enter more challenges in the future but i have to play the game alot to get good"

* "I dont really like using emulation to play neo - i prefer the real thing. so, i cant enter so many challenges anyway at the moment as i dont have the games. "

* "I did used to find that there were too many challenges - I was just getting good at a game and then the next one would come along. Ideally i would like to have one - once a month. Thats just my opinion though. "

* I don't really play for score in many of these games, especially fighting games. I only EVER play for score in Shmups... which

1) the Neo doesn't have many of
2) If you don't have a Neo, many of the Shmup titles are exclusive to the console (and yes, I do realise that this IS a dedicated NeoGeo site ^_^ ) and as such challenging the scores is not possible

ALSO...
you're right about time too. I don't have time to just sit and play one game for hours on end to just work on my highscore (like Magician Lord for example... with time you'll MASSIVELY improve and your score will too Thumbs Up "

As an answer to these thoughts:

*Iīve said this from the begining of the HSC; Dont be afraid to post any highscore, no matter how low it is. Iīm certainly not an "ace" at all the games which we have as Highscore challenges but this doesnīt keep my from posting scores. The HSC doesnīt have to be a challenge against the other NGFL members (if you donīt want it to be). Simply see it as a way to get better at the games you like to play. Donīt make it into something its not...

*The time is limited for all of us. So I understand if every member doesnīt enter every HSC. It just would be nice if some more members would like to join in. I donīt have the time either to enter every challenge.

* If you feel like there are too many games too often being presented as new HSC games. Donīt feel pressured to enter every single one at the first day since thereīs no timelimit on the Highscore challenges. You can enter when you fell that you have the time or that you need a new challenge...

Most games are available as emulations or in compilations for other consoles so that most members can enter the HSC.

Like I say I apreciate the feedback and all the kind wordsFlowers Since there havenīt been any member demanding an imediate shut down of the HSC Iīll keep doing them for the time being...

Please keep coming up with ideas on hoew to make the highscore challenges better for everyone. You can PM me: http://www.neogeo...lookup=192 if you are to shy to write in this thread

Thanks
Edited by priest on 10. October 2009 23:51

arcadematt
your high score challenges are a great idea. I to get very little time to play video games, but when i do i keep an eye on the score. I have a high score to add to your list but i feel i can better it. So im holding back to try and top it. It would be nice to fill up the high score tables with strong scores. so i hope more members get involved. Keep up the good work priest.

TLO
Damn it's late.. have to get some sleep going on real soon..
BUT FIRST! I have to share my appreciation of the HSC, I simply love it, hands down great job done priest!!!Thumbs Up without a doubt" or "most definitely I'll be posting as many good&bad scores as crumbled old hands can generateHmm

I think it's nice trying to set some goals in games that I favor or never played that much, and the medal system is awesome.

Please don't ever stop this nice addition to the site, it really flavors up the forum as a whole. Thanks for the good work, keep it upHeadbang

priest
Thanks for the kind words ARCADEMATT and TLOIn Love

Keep those scores comming TLO here at NGFL HSC thereīs no such thing as a "bad" score...And by the way you are not that oldWink

priest
So is there any interest in further Highscore challenges? Iīm asking this because the last couple of challenges has zero entrants. If thereīs no interest then maybe we should put the HSC on ice for the time.

Iīm open to suggestions on how to make the challenges more attractive. I want to continue doing the HSC but if Iīm the only one then there really are no purpose to it...

No response to this thread equals no interest and the the HSC is a part of history...

Hmm

RiKo
im always interested Priest, just i havent been playing many games recently, because i injured my neck, and i get a bit tense when playing games with tends to throw it out of position. i am planning on going back to some of the old challenges soon. it would be good though if we do have a HSC for every game though so people can just enter as and when they want to.

thanks for all your hard work buddy Thumbs Up
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
LIFE_IN_2D
I think HSC should stay. But... maybe you're on the right track when you suggest there should be more space in between HSC titles. I think that making HSC something that happens once every so often would draw more people in. Just my two cents.

Priest I've been a bit busy, hence why I have not posted any HSC scores. I think this might be the case with mostly everybody.

HSC brings much needed life to the site, It would be a shame to see it go.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 04. December 2010 00:07
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

merlin
Although I haven't been taking part recently I still think the HSC is a great idea. I can understand that it must be a bit disappointing for you Priest when you create a new HSC and no-one submits a score. I think though as the forum gets busier and busier more people will take part. I still think it'd be a good idea to keep starting the HSC threads so people can always enter them in the future. I'll give the Dunk Dream challenge a try soon.

shion
Two things:

1. It's sort of hard to have the HSCs considering half our membership (I would imagine) is under the age of 25, and, thus, wasn't raised on these types of games. In other words, gaining a high score doesn't mean anything to most young gamers today. How can we change this, how can we make the HSC relevant to today's gamers and old timers (I don't think getting old timers to participate is the problem though)? In a recent exchange with Daniel (a.k.a. Priest), there was the idea of making a SRC (Speed run challenge). What do you all think of that?

2. This suggestion isn't very difficult to understand... What do you all think of prizes being given out to the first place winners? This idea is at a preliminary stage, and I haven't thought through much of the details, but, in general, would prize giveaways be something that would make you want to participate more in the challenges?
Edited by shion on 13. December 2010 03:08

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
galvatron
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
Two things:

1. It's sort of hard to have the HSCs considering half our membership (I would imagine) is under the age of 25, and, thus, wasn't raised on these types of games. In other words, gaining a high score doesn't mean anything to most young gamers today. How can we change this, how can we make the HSC relevant to today's gamers and old timers (I don't think getting old timers to participate is the problem though)? In a recent exchange with David (a.k.a. Priest), there was the idea of making a SRC (Speed run challenge). What do you all think of that?

Interesting theory/suggestion...the way that most current arcade ports solve this is with achievements or trophies. You still have a leaderboard (aka high score challenge as is stands), but everyone can get the achievements and they keep those achievements forever. For some people, I could imagine it being a deterrent if they think they can't earn a medal or that they'll lose their medal after more competition shows up for a certain game. So maybe medals should be given out at set scores or for an impressive feat (e.g. one credit clear) and remain with the winner forever?
Edited by galvatron on 12. December 2010 19:45

priest
So thereīs some interest at least...

RiKo: Iīm so sorry to hear about your neck injury, I hope youīll recover from it soonComfort Much like you say, the original idea with the HSC was that every GOTW would be paired with a HSC of the game. But if just one or two members (lately 0 members) enters each challenge then maybe we should reconsider this?

Life_in_2D: Like I wrote above the original idea with the HSC was that it would pair up with GOTW. I understand if members donīt always have the time to post scores, thats OK. What I need to know is if there`s any interest in me to keep doing these HSC, aperently there are some members who acknowledge theyīre interested.

Merlin: Yea, thatīs the Idea that even though you donīt have the time right away to enter a challenge. The HSC will still be there, when you get the time. Thanks for your entry in the DD HSC.

1st Super Tobalman: I like your ideas and apreciate your feedback. I could add the speedrun scoreboards to the HSC but from what I read not all members manage to finish their NEO GEO games and this would limit the entries to the HSC. But on the other hand we would still have the highscore ranking board for them to enter.

About the HSC prices; I donīt think that I would have the time to arrange shipping and collecting the prices (if this would be a success). I know that you and amongst others RiKo have offered to contribute with prizes and help with the work it would bring, I apreciate this. Any suggestions on this?

Galvatron: If the medals would remain with the original winner then I think this would be an even bigger deterrent, because once a medal have been handed out. Whatīs the point of keep posting scores if you know that you still wonīt win any medals. The aim with the medals are to add even more competition to the HSC.

To those of you who have written in this thread; I reeeeeeally apreciate your feedback and kind words, thanksThumbs Up
Edited by priest on 16. December 2010 11:26

The eccentric cat
I don't think its the fact that Highscore Challenges are hard to grasp. Its just unrealistic to ask people to participate in every single HSC, considering there are so many choices. Not only that, people get rather busy, especially in the times now (holiday). I think you can just let it be for a while and see how it plays out. I'm pretty sure it will bear fruit in due time.
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Jump to Forum: