Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Yue
Thread ID: 200
Thread Info
There are 32 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9008 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ok, this may be rude to ask but then again I'm not forcing you to answer....how old are you and
candycab
merlin wrote:
I am 32 (getting old). I can't remember what age I started but the Sega Master System was my first console. I was totally hooked for a long time on Alex Kidd in Miracle World. My brother had a Nes and I bought a Megadrive and Snes. I played Streetfighter 2 on the Snes constantly for a very long time.

Then I sold all my consoles and games (except my Neo) and for quite a few years only played PC games especially Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3 and also Morrowind. Today I only play PC and Neo Geo games. These systems complement each other perfectly I think. Recently I have thought of buying either a Saturn or a Dreamcast but I am not sure which one to go for.

I've owned both the DC and the Saturn and they are both worth owning.

I would say if youre really into good Sega arcade ports like Crazy Taxi, Daytona etc then go for the DC as that seems to be its strong point, if you love 2D games then definitly grab a Saturn [ the import CPS D&D games rock on the Saturn ] as I think its hard to beat for 2D provided you like the games available.

I say grab then both at some point, they are both worth a look. I dont really miss either of them but I definitly enjoyed having them when I did. Wink
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Raiken
I'll 22 in about a little over a week. Been playing games since I was about 6. First games were some old pc games called dark ages and mars.
oi66.tinypic.com/zyjcpl.jpg

boogiepop
Crag wrote:
Im 21 years old and like a few people here started with a Commodore 64, playing Frogger (classic) non-stop!

I'll drink to that. Frogger was badass!
I, personally, was more of a Dig-Dug, Joust, Robotron man myself though. heh Anybody ever play a little gem called Archon (not on the NES, that version sucked)? It's probably my favorite game bar none.

phry
From there to my Commodore 64, Amiga & then to my master system - loved that my fave game was *something* in wonderland or monster-land (someone help me here smiley )

Hey Mitch,
Are you thinking of Wonder Boy in Monster Land? Grin

candycab
boogiepop wrote:
Crag wrote:
Im 21 years old and like a few people here started with a Commodore 64, playing Frogger (classic) non-stop!

I'll drink to that. Frogger was badass!
I, personally, was more of a Dig-Dug, Joust, Robotron man myself though. heh Anybody ever play a little gem called Archon (not on the NES, that version sucked)? It's probably my favorite game bar none.

I played Archon to death on the C64, along with other EA gems like Mail Order Monsters, Pinball Construction Set and Racing Destruction Set [probably one of the reasons ExiteBike never thrilled me when It came out]. The good old pre Capitalistic EA when gameplay ruled above all Wink

pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/7894294/14860885/231192061.jpg pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/7894294/14860885/231192590.jpg pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/7894294/14860885/231192830.jpg pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/7894294/14860885/231193330.jpg
Edited by candycab on 17. February 2007 19:12
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

boogiepop
candycab wrote:
I played Archon to death on the C64, along with other EA gems like Mail Order Monsters, Pinball Construction Set and Racing Destruction Set [probably one of the reasons ExiteBike never thrilled me when It came out]. The good old pre Capitalistic EA when gameplay ruled above all Wink

Whoa, I totally forgot about the Pinball Construction Set. And you have my eternal respect for being an Archon fan.
What was the name of the karate game with 3 fighters at the same time? They were white, blue, and red. International Karate or something like that. That was killer too.

candycab
boogiepop wrote:
candycab wrote:

Whoa, I totally forgot about the Pinball Construction Set. And you have my eternal respect for being an Archon fan.
What was the name of the karate game with 3 fighters at the same time? They were white, blue, and red. International Karate or something like that. That was killer too.

Dont remember the name but I remember the game, Im pretty sure it was a Data East game ? ... I played alot of Karate Champ back then Wink

I think the first fighting based game that had a huge impact on me was Jordan Mechner's Karateka Ninja Karateka was probably the first game that I considered a playable work of art, even today the animations look amazing.

Definitly the first game ever scripted like a motion picture that I know of, and probably one of the few to ever pull it off correctly. Great game !

Karateka Info here , And Here

PooTube Karateka Vid here, unfortunitly there is no sound :evil:

pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/7894294/14860885/231352969.jpg
pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/7894294/14860885/231352980.jpg
pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/7894294/14860885/231352972.jpg
pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/7894294/14860885/231352978.jpg
pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/7894294/14860885/231352973.jpg
pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1845/7894294/14860885/231354250.jpg
Edited by candycab on 18. February 2007 08:08

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

phry

There were a few cool karate games on the c64. Way of the Exploding Fist and the International Karate games were great. The one with the three guys is IK+ (which was the sequel to International Karate).

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/C64_IKPlus.png
awesome!

I think the first fighting based game that had a huge impact on me was Jordan Mechner's Karateka

I never did play that but it does look like it was a good game. Very impressive animation for 1984. Wasn't Jordan Mechner the guy who made Prince of Persia? (another classic!)
Edited by phry on 18. February 2007 20:10

Kazuya_UK
IK+/Way of the Exploding Fist for teh win! Both games were/are friggin awesome! Grin

I still play IK+ now and then when I want a laugh, especially multiplayer. Press "T" on the keyboard while in the middle of a fight on the Amiga version, it's fun! Wink

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
candycab
phry wrote:

There were a few cool karate games on the c64. Way of the Exploding Fist and the International Karate games were great. The one with the three guys is IK+ (which was the sequel to International Karate).

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/C64_IKPlus.png
awesome!

I think the first fighting based game that had a huge impact on me was Jordan Mechner's Karateka

I never did play that but it does look like it was a good game. Very impressive animation for 1984. Wasn't Jordan Mechner the guy who made Prince of Persia? (another classic!)

Yes Mechner was the one who created Prince of Persia, right around the same time period I believe. Its too bad the sound is so poor in that video, its missing probably 60% of whats supposed to be there.

Its like half of the actual tones are missing, definitly a non complete c64 emu dump, its a shame really beacuse the game is so uncomplete without its true musical score, which isprobably 70% of why it comes off as a movie style presentation.

I know there are perfect emu dumps for the C64 version floating around, that is also the most superior of all the versions should you feel the urge to give one a go.

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

boogiepop
Yeah, I've played Karateka and Way of the Exploding Fist (and the sequel). Not too much of the former but the latter in copious amounts. Great stuff. Thanks for posting the pics. They bring back real good memories.

Mitch The Zombie
phry wrote:
Hey Mitch,
Are you thinking of Wonder Boy in Monster Land? Grin

DUUUUUUUDE LOL
That's it you rock Pfft
Yeah I probably played that game on and off for about 3 years heh heh
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/MitchMF/PDVD_000.jpg

For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life.
But for me... it was Tuesday.

Jump to Forum: